Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just some judging pics and comments

cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
NOTE: Please do not feel singled out or embarrassed if your lot appears in the pictures. The lot used could easily have been another. This is meant only as a learning experience for all of us and maybe an opportunity to laugh a bit at things that happen.

My self-sim continued her home inspections. Screenshot-25_zpscadd0da1.jpg

When you are using MOO, and a object you are trying to place disappears, check a corner of the lot... this is a pretty common occurrence and quite a few things can stack up there.
Screenshot-49_zps79ca85ef.jpg

Also, look for floating tiles, which are another common occurrence when using MOO. Try to just turn on the MOO cheat, use it, and turn it right back off. (To get rid of those floating tiles, you can often add and then delete tiles over them. This also works when you have missing sections of ceiling tile. Just delete the floor tiles over them and replace them.)
Screenshot-52_zpsd9daa7e1.jpg

(You'll also notice that items placed right on the edge sometimes don't upload with the house; such as lights, buydebug fences, and plants.)
Screenshot-26_zps32696453.jpg[

I found it funny that there were lots of horses and paparazzi in my empty world.
Screenshot-20_zpsb4c0008e.jpg

Looking at lots of lots can tire you out.
Screenshot-22_zpsb8579ef1.jpg

Cute MOO options don't always work out. (The close rack isn't in the way of the dresser working. That part works well. It's the shoe rack that is in the way there.)
Screenshot-23_zps509dbffd.jpg

Ciane sim found dirty dishes and a broken t.v. left behind in one house. (Wait until your test Sims finish eating and clean up before evicting them.)
Screenshot-29_zpsf8dbf80a.jpg

Ah, looks pretty, but the stairs are in the way and there is no room to sit. (Sometimes Sims need more than just the tile the chair sits on as they need to be able to slide it back to get in and out.)
Screenshot-30_zps39f7e1e1.jpg

Pretty flowers that end abruptly at the lots edge in nice straight lines might seem less odd with an edging fence or with terrain paint randomly curving in and out. And the triangular flower section would nice on that corner rounding it. (I may be the only one who thinks that.)
Screenshot-33_zpsb6626dba.jpg

You were right, the bed cannot be used! Pushing it to the corner, would let one side be used. (A two-tile bed can NOT be centered in a three-tile wide room and be routed to.)
Screenshot-37_zpsdb659447.jpg

Love the look, but she can't get a book. (Fortunately there are more bookcases.)
Screenshot-38_zpsae0fa462.jpg

Some MOOs work well. (Just upgrade the t.v. first or you'll have to MOO it again.)
Screenshot-39_zpsd10ebad2.jpg

Testing a home business with room markers for private space worked well. I wish EA coding didn't kick everyone out at closing, but that's the way it is.
Screenshot-44_zps743051d6.jpg

I know sometimes mirrors are just placed for decoration and not meant to be used, but consider how sims unable to do what they want can add to game lag.
Screenshot-47_zps73f7bc61.jpg

Well, I finished looking at little lots and let my sim-self enjoy a drink.
Screenshot-58_zps81a0556f.jpg

Thank you all for sharing your lots with us!

Comments

• Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited April 2014
    Double post. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm surprised the dresser doesn't work ciane, I play-tested everything and found no issues.

[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img836/9312/giww.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/img]

[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img842/8471/lipau.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/img]

Ah well. :?
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited April 2014
    ciane wrote:
    Ciane sim found dirty dishes and a broken t.v. left behind in one house. (Wait until your test Sims finish eating and clean up before evicting them.)

On this one an alternative is to place a copy of your finished build into your bin, then place it on a same size new lot in town and play test it there. This can also probably help spot many of the moo issues mentioned. Additionally it's a good way to spot if you remembered to name & detail your lot. 8)

Yes doing that does add a step to the process of getting it up on to the exchange, but those few extra game minutes are worth it, especially if you're willing to plunk a family of 8 with free will on into the lot as your testers, and let them have run of the place for a few sim days. :lol:
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Joolster, sometimes the sims can do something once like go down the stairs and then they just can't get back up them. How many times has that happened? And maybe if I had my sim go stand in front of the dresser and then try to use it, she could; but because I told her to use it from whereever she was, it didn't work out.

I do like the idea of testing on another same size lot before uploading. That would let you see what shifts from the edge of the lot anyway.
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited April 2014
    Ciane, these are some very helpful tips! A lot of times I include bookcases and mirrors that I know cannot be used, but just have them for decorative value -- I hadn't thought about the lag that might be caused by sims trying to get the items to function.

I'm sure I'll still do this, lol, but not as often -- and always with that in mind :).

Thanks for sharing!!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    corettabarajascorettabarajas Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited April 2014
    Sigh. Yeah I noticed the fence issue... I had placed the lot in a few locations before uploading it and the fence stayed, then I recently placed the house in a different game and it was gone :/ I was worried about terrain paints which can shift with placements, that's why I moved it around... I didn't even know about disappearing fences until very recently (a few days ago I tried placing the lot) Now I know! lol
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the tip on the those pesky floating tiles. I never knew what caused them and they drive me crazy!!!
  • Options
    annasommerannasommer Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited April 2014
    I KNEW my test family would make a mess - I should have checked the place before kicking them out just to make sure...

Sorry about the dirty plates :lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ciane wrote:
    Joolster, sometimes the sims can do something once like go down the stairs and then they just can't get back up them. How many times has that happened? And maybe if I had my sim go stand in front of the dresser and then try to use it, she could; but because I told her to use it from whereever she was, it didn't work out.

Ah alright then. You'd think EA would have ironed out the small bugs by now, like the floating tiles/holes in ceiling. This game's been out for how many years now? :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    ShTiger01ShTiger01 Posts: 1,282 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Ciane,

Thanks for testing the games - I did not notice those floating tiles when I checked it all, and oddly enough I played and they're not there now!! Weird...

Charlotte
    xoxoxo
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited April 2014
    I must admit, I have often wondered why I have to go round my lot deleting floating grey things like tiles or chunks of walls :lol: Never thought about MOO! Thanks for these tips Ciane. I am always very careful with the plates and stuff in my builds :D I once downloaded a lot which had a newspaper outside, and an old one next to it, 3 dirty plates, and an unmade bed :lol: LOL!
  • Options
    TiggerkittyTiggerkitty Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2014
    Aaawww shoot... My MOO didn't work... silly staircases not allowing chairs to move underneath them...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You know, maybe nudging the table a bit closer to the counter would be enough room, or using disablesnappingtoslotsonalt to move the counter in closer to the other counters and then sliding the table a bit more would do it.

She could use one chair though, so I just consider the other one "deco"!
  • Options
    DaeliaDaelia Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited April 2014
    ciane wrote:
    Testing a home business with room markers for private space worked well. I wish EA coding didn't kick everyone out at closing, but that's the way it is.

:lol: Yeah I noticed that, It's that silly door's fault I think, But I left it like that b/c I kind of LIKED that the npc's got ran off by it and my sim could just go back in about her business hehe. It probably won't kick anysim out if ya just wanted to replace the door with a normal one, I just liked that it did for my sim's purposes, Plus sometimes, though not often (I only saw it happen once), an npc would find their way up there after my sim had opened up the tomb and just stand there like a dolt and I didn't want to be bothered with having to shoo them myself so the closing-kicking worked nicely :lol:

I can't TELL you how many builds I have pored over looking for those stoopid floating tiles!!! :roll: Now I realize it's my MOO'ing's fault! :oops: Will have to remember to undo that more frequently RIGHT after using it for every MOO task! :XD: