Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Yeah, I kept trying to use the boat helm too, until I realized it just wouldn't stay whenever I quit the game and reopened it.

I like your use of half walls there with the front window, and the different options you came up with.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @iampes23 I'm a member of the boxy club, too, I'm afraid. :D Even reading about CFE makes me want to go eat a cookie or anything else other than trying it. I, too, used the boat helm and had decided to just keep using it (it's free) and not upload my build due to the inconvenience factor of having to replace it all the time. I did find a way to do wheels, which of course created a new problem or two. :/ Still have a couple things to work out and may or may not get this submitted.

I have now taken a peek at everyone's builds, and they're super cute and creative!
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @iampes23 laugh?? Perish! Those look awesome! Sure, they're boxy top-to-bottom but you got some variation in them anyway. Pretty sweet-looking!
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited September 2019
    I love all the campers and Rv's and especially all you guys who can do that fancy CFE. They are all so cute and different. I am in the boxy club myself. CFE makes me so crazy.

Anyhow, here's my take on an RV park, Sims style.

I have a lodge that has a basic kitchen, a laundry room with a clothesline out back. There is a small bunk room and a bathroom with two private shower stalls, two toilets and two sinks. On the other side is a lounge with tv, record player and books. On the porch is the shuffleboard game and some rocking chairs. Out and about there are horse shoes, golf and a teeter totter. Access to the water is just steps away.

The green trailer is for Da and Ma. It is the only trailer with a restroom and tv. Easier on Da that way. The other two trailers each have bunk beds, a small kitchenette and a sofa. Hopefully everyone spends their time outdoors bbqing and relaxing.

48767082046_95af565890_z.jpg

48767083321_c4433eb143_z.jpg

48767280787_c9d365fbfc_z.jpg

More to see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/183138166@N05/albums/72157710991184167

Oh, I used the boat trailer for the wheels and hitch, I saw that somewhere and thought it was brilliant.

I used a 40x40 lot and every last penny :)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @kgaff - that is brilliant! I love the trailer hitch!!! And I love your trailers. I particularly love the awnings and the rounded windows.
  • Options
    @kgaff Love them!
  • Options
    @Kgaff Your trailers are really cute! <3 I was using the boat trailers, too, which I also saw somewhere I couldn't remember, but thinking here in BNS. My builds are a little bigger, though, so used two, and the higher part of the hitch comes up through the floors here and there, which I don't like. They didn't bother my tester sim in the slightest, though.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    Well, since boxy is in, maybe I will just go with what I have, photography with the helm, and just forget about it when it uploads. Honestly, I am scared to play mine. I made them realistic width, but I am doubting that sims can actual use the bathrooms. And the couches don't really make beds in the game... But, well, they are kinda cool... :D
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hi :D ,

I must admit I'm extremely impressed with how you've all tackled the task of building the RVs + lodge for this challenge ... everyone of them is just AWESOME!!! <3

How you are all managing to stay within the budget is a complete mystery to me :o ... my poor travellers have to fork out over 75 000 simoleons just for the unfurnished lot ... furnished it's almost double. :#

Not sure if I'll have time to go back to the drawing board ... :/

@suzses , I've used 2 of the boat trailers too and hid the annoying bits coming up through the floor with a frieze ... trouble is it elevates the structure a little too much.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm wondering if using alt to place the foundation so it's only one step high and then placing a frieze on that will make it the right height for the trailers. Now I'm going to have to play with that!

@Hidehi - free wallpaper and floors wherever possible.

I'm so excited to see more RVs!!
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    Also, remember that debug is your friend for some nice free items to use
  • Options
    @ciane I didn't know you could use alt w/foundations to make them lower! Thanks for suggesting it. I had tried the frieze on top as @Hidehi mentioned early on, but I didn't like how high it made the floor level. What I ended up doing was raising the ground level (and then flattening it again) so the foundation was about 1 step higher than usual foundation level, but I still have some hitch showing through the floors that way. That sounds about the same as where the 1 step foundation + frieze would end up? If I went the next possible level higher with the terrain, the floors seemed too high for me. So I was just trading one problem for another. Oh, and the way I did it, I had to raise the terrain under where the steps are or the steps would dig down below ground level.

Another thing that was happening was there were places where if I deleted the foundation, the floor tile would disappear and couldn't be replaced. So, I had 1 to 2 spaces on each unit where I had to leave the foundation, and I just tried to disguise those places. I did notice @Kgaff 's use of foundation pillars, which worked great.

Anyway, below is a little of what I did. At this point, I really don't want to start over again and am thinking I just won't finish. It's been somewhat fun to try but also frustrating.
    Larger trailer side and back (I had fun coming up with some things for the tail ends) - plus floor plan showing the hitch through the floor.

48769983053_e2d5e2b049_z.jpg

48770312121_251171e782_z.jpg

48770332851_b0de3e605e_z.jpg

RV left and right sides

48770529967_a520562e2a_z.jpg

48770529682_fbb837183d_z.jpg

Smaller trailer side and back

48770343231_a1a4d03d0d_z.jpg

48769983253_46c330d52a_z.jpg
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @suzses Those look wonderful. I love the bike on the back <3

The motor homes are great! I never even thought of using the boat helm, very clever you guys.

When I made mine I used the pillar foundation, then put on a platform, deleted the pillars I didn't want then recolored that bit of trailer that showed to match the floor. I also used rugs to cover some of them and then some are just hidden under the furniture.
  • Options
    It looks gorgeous to me @suzses. (I'd just place a deco table over the spot where the hitch is higher, like the kitchen one on wheels, maybe). LOVE those red tail lights, the sun roof over the porch, the steps you used, the art deco light detail, and the bikes on the back!!!

Alt with foundation gives you a one-step foundation and using alt when placing stairs should make them stay level without digging down or raising terrain. Adjusting the terrain height and placing alt foundation... then, dragging that over with CFE and level terrain tool could get you a height you like that might be 6 steps high instead of five, if that is better.
  • Options

Thanks to your very helpful advice on how to save simoleons @ciane and @iampes23 I've managed to get the cost of the lot down quite a bit ... but alas not enough to be able to officially enter the challenge ... but I thought I may as well show you my version:

The Wanderer's Rest:

Built on a 40x40 lot, cost: an absolute fortune :#:p

ueEDnAF.jpg?1

Converted Double Decker Bus:

lxf2z6w.jpg?1

Converted Vintage Bus:

HZkYM4M.jpg?1

Trailer:

VBpKWeS.jpg?1

Clubhouse Lodge:

Klng4dr.jpg?1

Link to more screenshots: https://simtasticadventures.home.blog/builds/
  • Options
    I especially love the double decker and the way you elevated the trailer with a frieze.

I did check out using the trailer with alt for a single tile foundation and then a regular frieze on that. That worked perfectly. Though it seemed higher than needed, it did keep the trailer hitch from peeking though.
  • Options
    @Hidehi I *love* that double-decker!! The whole thing is cool but that double-decker is really inspired <3
  • Options

Thank you very much for your lovely comments @ciane and @creativemetaphor! :D

I've really had a lot of fun with this challenge and I'm amazed at all the different ideas and fabulous solutions everyone came up with <3 x
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #217 - Travllers
    NAME: iampes23
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9340717
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/gallery/cBtmKlq
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Sunset Valley, 53 Waterfall Way 36x47 $3,384 lot cost/final $78,366 ($74,982)
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Just a little campground with some futuristic campers and a cozy lodge. (I apologize--the pictures were taken in build , as you will be able to tell, and igmur kept messing with the order, so the last picture is somehow the first one.)
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: just my own patterns
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    jhrs54s.jpg
    jwA9S6c.jpg
  • Options

Hi @iampes23 :) ,

love the idea of your futuristic hover campers and the inside of your RVs looks just like the real thing <3 ... such a shame the sofas haven't got an option to be used as proper beds but then you have plenty of other sleeping areas in one of the campers and your beautiful lodge :D

By the way the garbage shoots for energy conservation add a nice touch, the hologram fireplace is very thoughtful and the board with the get-well cards for grandfather made me shed a tear or two ...
  • Options
    I like the way you offset the trailer spots and made the diagonal edges. Your lodge definitely looks roomy enough for everyone!
  • Options
    Thanks! @Hidehi and @Ciane I really appreciate the comments! Everyone did a really good job this time!!
  • Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member

Yay so great to see more entries since I last visited. I had a great holiday and am ready to get back into simmin :)

@Kgaff ... your campers are adorable. I particularly like the green one. Such a great idea to use the trailer hitch.

@Hidehi , wow you did such a great job. How very creative are your campers. I love the double-decker.

@iampes23 , such a cool lot. Great thinking out of the box with your futuristic campers.

It's so great we all had different spins on this challenge. Well done everyone! :D

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Looking forward to the next challenge...

@soocoolsim: Thanks very much!
    Post edited by iampes23 on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top