Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What utter NONSENSE is this?! - New Exchange policy-

OK so I missed the opportunity to post on SimGuruPopTart's thread (it was probably mere luck I happened across it whilst it was unlocked in the first place) but this is what I wanted to say on the matter:
I'm sorry to question this but... is that fair? The exchange moves so fast and a lot of people put a great deal of time and effort into their uploads only to have them surpassed in downloads and recommendations by someone who spent 2 minutes creating something.

Culling them after two weeks just seems harsh to me. I mean what is the limit? 100 downloads? 200 downloads? Just how low are we talking about here? What about avatars? Will I log in one day and see a default green girl because my avatar got deleted?

I spend a lot of time creating each sim and it would irritate me greatly to see them removed just like that whilst (and I'll be brutally honest here), lazy/plagarised sims remain there because they had a higher download/rec score.

Heck! A lot of the time I see plagarised sims with HIGHER downloads/recs than the real thing and they never seem to get removed either. This is a highly unfair system IMO.

Does anyone agree with me?

Edit: I toned down my usual snark given I was speaking to a Guru who had the power to ban me ^_^;

Comments

• Options
    mummygagamummygaga Posts: 1,621 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I agree with that!

I hope my show doesn't get culled!
  • Options
    Nancy01905Nancy01905 Posts: 3,929 Member
    edited February 2010
    I agree alot of simmers has put alot of work into their creations and after two weeks it is off. It will be a pain in the butt to put it back up when we can't even send a pm or a guest book signing to ask to get uplaod again
  • Options
    BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I do agree! They should be culling nonsense stories or movies like, 'Click Fast!' Or whatever those things are caled.
    There are some creations/ movie/ stories that are really good but not being viewed a lot and they'll just delete that person's hard work!
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    edited February 2010
    This is a really stupid policy. Fail.
  • Options
    iSiriusiSirius Posts: 1,289
    edited February 2010
    Darkslayer wrote:
    OK so I missed the opportunity to post on SimGuruPopTart's thread (it was probably mere luck I happened across it whilst it was unlocked in the first place) but this is what I wanted to say on the matter:
    I'm sorry to question this but... is that fair? The exchange moves so fast and a lot of people put a great deal of time and effort into their uploads only to have them surpassed in downloads and recommendations by someone who spent 2 minutes creating something.

Culling them after two weeks just seems harsh to me. I mean what is the limit? 100 downloads? 200 downloads? Just how low are we talking about here? What about avatars? Will I log in one day and see a default green girl because my avatar got deleted?

I spend a lot of time creating each sim and it would irritate me greatly to see them removed just like that whilst (and I'll be brutally honest here), lazy/plagarised sims remain there because they had a higher download/rec score.

Heck! A lot of the time I see plagarised sims with HIGHER downloads/recs than the real thing and they never seem to get removed either. This is a highly unfair system IMO.

Edit: I toned down my usual snark given I was speaking to a Guru who had the power to ban me ^_^;

I completely agree 110%.
    I guess I'll be uploading to http://www.mediafire.com/ and linking back here for now on.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2010
    I swear... I get irritated at the exchange as it is because of how it's run (I'm not an egotist by any means but I see some of the sims that got featured and I really question why I'm not featured... they're rubbish!). Now I'm starting to question whether there's any point uploading sims at all. Either I spam the general discussion forum with all my updates (which WILL happen but not by my hand - you watch, we'll see nothing but 'rec this sim' or 'download that sim' threads because of this) or I just stop bothering uploading my sims all together.

I put a lot of time and hard work into them the least EA could do is host them for more than 2 bloody weeks regardless of how many downloads they get.

...ugh. I am SO angry.
  • Options
    SquallySqually Posts: 491 New Member
    edited February 2010
    It might be the several hours without sleep, or me in general but.. they're not serious about doing this, right? :/

An exchange where sims that took time and effort to create have less downloads/recs than a crappy Edward Cullen sim? Pft.
  • Options
    myfirstsimsgamemyfirstsimsgame Posts: 2,479 New Member
    edited February 2010
    It's stupid and she deleted my post without answering.

That's it! I've had it.I'm leaving for good. T_T
    Err, not really...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I swear... I get irritated at the exchange as it is because of how it's run (I'm not an egotist by any means but I see some of the sims that got featured and I really question why I'm not featured... they're rubbish!).

Now I'm starting to question whether there's any point uploading sims at all. Either I spam the general discussion forum with all my updates (which WILL happen but not by my hand - you watch, we'll see nothing but 'rec this sim' or 'download that sim' threads because of this) or I just stop bothering uploading my sims all together.

I put a lot of time and hard work into them the least EA could do is host them for more than 2 bloody weeks regardless of how many downloads they get.

...ugh. I am SO angry.
  • Options
    FuryRedFuryRed Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited February 2010
    When I first read that I had exactly the same reaction (and then I was busy writing my reply too :P ) but after re-reading the post again I don't think it means what we think it means.

I think the culling means that unpopular items get removed from the exchange and storyboard listings, but not from the website altogether. At least I hope that's what it is, otherwise imma be maaadddd.

Edited for 'evidence': "Searching for content will be easier with culling turned on and awesome uploads will have even more of a chance to shine".
    It's the 'searching' part that makes me think this, cause if that really do plan to delete things then... ugh.
    pjgnHbb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @myfirstsimsgame: Oh you did make it? I had a feeling she would just delete it but I had hoped to get in there before they locked it.
  • Options
    playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited February 2010
    I so agree. I mean, alot of people time and effort to find that there creations get removed. :/ This policy is harsh.
  • Options
    Simmersaurus_RexSimmersaurus_Rex Posts: 3,021 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I completely agree with you, Darkslayer. I don't really care if I have to look a little harder through the exchange for the things I want. Everyone deserves to have their content on the site, whether it gets downloads or not. :?

Like SimCrazy said: EPIC FAIL.
  • Options
    BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone else agree they should start deleting that nonsense 'Click Fast!' stories!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @FuryRed: Actually, on the TS2 site, there was culling and uploads were removed from the website altogether.
  • Options
    mummygagamummygaga Posts: 1,621 New Member
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    Ava_xDAva_xD Posts: 826 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Darkslayer wrote:

EA .. wow.

I just wanted to say, even if you delete your Avatar Sim, your Avatar picture will still be there.
  • Options
    myfirstsimsgamemyfirstsimsgame Posts: 2,479 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Darkslayer wrote:
    @myfirstsimsgame: Oh you did make it? I had a feeling she would just delete it but I had hoped to get in there before they locked it.
    I asked her how many recs or downloads do you needed and that if the items would still be at your studio.

• Options
    KatlinemasKatlinemas Posts: 835 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Wait, what about avatars?

Because my avatar has less than 10 recs, does that mean it will be culled? I don't want to have to upload my avi again!

Or is there some security policy that goes with avatars? I hope so.

Edit: Well the picture will stay according to Ava, but I still don't want to lose my Sim.
  • Options
    FuryRedFuryRed Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited February 2010
    iSirius wrote:
    @FuryRed: Actually, on the TS2 site, there was culling and uploads were removed from the website altogether.

:-o That's ******* ridiculous.
    pjgnHbb.jpg
  • Options
    KelleD014KelleD014 Posts: 2,829 New Member
    edited February 2010
    i agree with you! just because our sims arent getting downloaded doesnt mean that they should be deleted! we put in a lot of hard work. maybe they should actually listen to all the reports of plagiarized sims and innapropriate sims before they do this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @iSirius: Love your sig <3

Nah. Those stupid fight stories and click fast ones will stay because they get a lot of recs from other like-minded idiots who participate in that kind of BS.

Pretty soon the exchange will be creatively dead. Usually the true gems are hidden away under all the garbage that gets tons of recs and downloads because so-and-so knows so-and-so who knows so-and-so (Etc).

Congrats Gurus, I think you just killed the exchange. I certainly won't be posting anything but icons if this is the kind of nonsense policy they're going to employ. How many times will I have to mess around re-uploading avatars because they saw fit to delete them?

I wish the Gurus had the guts to leave a thread like that unlocked. What ever happened to freedom of speech? (I know, it doesn't exist on this forum but stick with me here) - wouldn't it make more sense to let US the gamers, the CONTRIBUTORS to the exchange, the ones that keep it thriving express our own sodding opinions?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FuryRed wrote:
    iSirius wrote:

:-o That's ******* ridiculous.

IKR? On the TS2 site, I had to reupload my Sims at least twice a month or they would have been culled forever. :|

EDIT: @Darkslayer: Another AvA fan?
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    edited February 2010
    This is so stupid, I can't even put it into words. We upload our creations on here so they can get recognized, and so people can see our effort. When TS3 came out, they said how creations by the community would be so important. Now we know thats a lie
  • Options
    CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited February 2010
    Darkslayer wrote:
    What about avatars? Will I log in one day and see a default green girl because my avatar got deleted? ...Now I'm starting to question whether there's any point uploading sims at all...

I never upload sims...I'm always afraid that someone will re-upload them and claim them as their own. I'll upload a basic pre-made sim for my avatars (replacing just the pics) and immediately delete it as soon as I switch to the new avatar (that's why my page says 17 sims uploaded when all you see is 4 -- no sense in adding more clutter to the Exchange with pre-mades).

But I think you should still upload. Your sims are awesome, and I don't think they'd be culled.

edit: and yeah, people would go NUTS on the TS2 site when their works would be culled. I only ever uploaded 4 or 5 sims there, and all of them were culled except for one that is still on there.

I'm so disillusioned with this forum it isn't even FUNNY anymore. I got a message in my inbox a little while ago saying my account had been banned for linking to a site that isn't even inappropriate (I had no idea we couldn't link to it, for the love of...). I couldn't even play Dragon Age on Xbox b/c I was logged in to my EA account (had to unplug the modem to play). You can't say or do ANYTHING. Creativity is dying a very painful death (Phantomhive has a LOT to say about that)...morale is down b/c of all the bannings...I don't understand what they think they're accomplishing other than causing a mass exodus of the forum so that there is less for them to moderate...

vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."