Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things from older Sim Generation you DO NOT miss

There's a current post by @Smellincoffee on Details from older games you miss which is always a fun discussion to have.

But what are the things from older generations you definitely DO NOT miss and don't ever want to return, you know just so EA doesn't get the wrong idea...

I'm thinking
  • being locked within a world is a feature I don't want to return to. I love that my sims can travel to all worlds

Ps. sorry for snatching the idea, but I'm too curious, also because I don't seem to remember too much myself
Food Stall Activist Group
For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions

Comments

• Options
    sn4phsn4ph Posts: 17 Member
    I prefer the Sims 4 aspiration system compared to the Sims 3 one. It actually gave you objectives to progresssively do, as your sim gets more skilled, and it's way more engaging in my opinion.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    Toddlers drinking from the toilet. 😱
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    A new occult with every pack, as seen in TS2. Probably an unpopular opinion because everyone loves to place TS2 on a pedestal, but let's be honest, its occults sucked! They looked different from regular sims and had one or two special properties, but that was it. As shallow as TS4 is in many, many regards, when it does dedicate an entire GP to a single occult, they usually turn out to be the best we've ever had. Not so much when they come as one of many features in an EP, see mermaids and aliens, but even the lacklustre aliens from Get to Work are still better than their green, noseless TS2 counterparts. Witches with their interesting variety of good, evil, and neutral spells were the only good occults in TS2.

(Feel free to cancel me now, but it won't change the facts.)
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member

I came to this thread not expecting to see this lol.
  • Options
    OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member

I came to this thread not expecting to see this lol.

haha I guess there's a reason why I don't remember too much from the older generations
    For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Having to constantly clean up newspaper clutter (TS1 & TS2). They needed an option to subscribe/unsubscribe. At least the TS2 newspaper was more functional, with a crossword and such.

• Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    The burglar and pickpocket.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,975 Member
    edited June 2023
    How fast needs go in ts1 and your sim constantly too depressed to anything
    unless you have 2 sims constantly socializing with each other

Heads coming with hairstyles, bodies with clothes

horoscopes tied to personality points

the "fat" body type in ts2 thats not even fat
    talk about early 2000 nonsense

being stuck in one world/ not being able to live in "vacation worlds"
    (still annoying in ts4)

"open world" in ts3
    that really just meant lots of travel from rabbithole to another
    and sims having chaos while you are not playing them
    and you struggling to find your sims on that dang big map all the time
    nope i don't miss it.

rabbitholes in general why are they suddenly making comeback in ts4 i do not like it

the ts3 dragons that were just birds in cosplay

the store just like in general

into the future portal automatically spawning on your lot at the start
    so your game crashes and all the other crash lag bug things ah fun times

and one for ts4 since i am listing:
    randomized townies and endless randomized townie generation in ts4

pls give me toggle to toggle it off before this iteration is over with
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,975 Member
    Witches with their interesting variety of good, evil, and neutral spells were the only good occults in TS2.

(Feel free to cancel me now, but it won't change the facts.)

Plantsims were lit in ts2 though so I feel like slightly adjusting the facts
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    The burglar and pickpocket.

I don't miss the burglar or the repoman.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,259 Member
    edited May 2023
    About TS2 :
    • Rod Humble NPC
    • TV never turned off
    • Final exam at night (University)
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,464 Member
    Sims 2 toddlers. (Please don't come for me.) I hated the screaming and fussing, every. single. time. They woke up. I remember how paranoid it made me so that I was constantly checking the time to make sure I had a Sim ready and waiting by the crib for as soon as they woke up because I just couldn't handle the stress of that screaming and wailing sound animation, lol.

Sims 4 toddlers are infinitely better. I actually enjoy them, which was completely unexpected for me, and I was one who never even noticed they were missing from the game until I joined the forums and saw the hullabaloo, lol. I think they're a lot of fun now.

But I really, really wish the Occult toddlers had some supernatural aspects, or that we could at least use the glowy eyes and weird teeth to make them cosmetically creepy. Or have the unusual hair colors for them. No Occult (or toddler) love there, unfortunately. :'(
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    The tragic clown!
    :) Smile!

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    For me it would have to be supernatural's in every pack and Sims 3 pudding faces

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,259 Member
    Cutscenes in TS2 even if it was nice in a specific context, they were annoying the rest of the time.

• Options
    OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member
    Crying toddlers everywhere in The Sims 3

I just played infants for the first time and had three at once, it was horrible.. so I feel this for sure lol
  • Options
    hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    burglars! They were funny for the first while but when they kept showing up it got so annoying. Really? I have to drag myself out of bed AGAIN so that I can jump around screaming and pointing at the burglar? I have work at 8
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 516 Member
    vossims wrote: »
    Must have a certain number of friends for a promotion

Yes I definitely do not miss this! Such a pain having to work on improving the required skills while making sure your friends level didn’t drop away - on top of just managing daily life which could itself be challenging, given the fixed time to Sims’ lifespans! So much pressure!
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member

Yes I definitely do not miss this! Such a pain having to work on improving the required skills while making sure your friends level didn’t drop away - on top of just managing daily life which could itself be challenging, given the fixed time to Sims’ lifespans! So much pressure!

How could I forget about this atrocity? Must have been in denial. I hated that feature with a passion! TS1 had it, TS2 used to have it until they toned it down (or even removed it completely, unless that was a mod?), but that's something that definitely doesn't need to come back.

Maybe because I'm a hard-working introvert in real life, my playstyle is very goal-oriented and less relationship-focused. My sims tend to spend most of their time working on their personal goals, be it a career, a skill, an aspiraiton, or (usually) a mix of everything, until the social need inevitably gets in the way. I don't even want to imagine how much more annoying that would be if interactions with others weren't enough and I also had to cultivate friendships in order to climb the career ladder. It's unrealistic as well, at least for anything other than maybe the politician career. Everywhere else, connections could provide advantages for all I care, but shouldn't be a requirement for promotion.
  • Options
    Jotaerre3DJotaerre3D Posts: 954 Member
    Sims 3 pudding faces.
    Feel free to call me J.R., all my friends call me in that way.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    That cow mascot knocking on your Sim's door at 3am screaming "Chowla!" just before finals in Sims 3. That was quite annoying.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    For me, it's how hard it was to edit townie's appearance. In the previous games, you either needed expansion packs (TS2 Open for Business or TS3 Ambitions) or cheats (boolprop testingcheatsenabled true). In The Sims 4, you can just do it through Manage Households through Manage Worlds easily without careers or businesses.

Oh, and in the previous games, you had to use a mirror to change hairstyle, makeup etc and a dresser to change the outfit. It wasn't that bad in The Sims 2 for one reason: when you wanted to make a hairstyle different for each outfit, you just had a handy button for it in the hairstyle chooser. The Sims 3 was way worse. You had to use mirror to change hairstyle and make-up, then exit CAS to change outfit, reenter CAS to change the hairstyle and make-up for that and repeat until all the outfits are done. There was only one way to bypass it: the Stylist Station, but it took a lot of room and came from The Sims 3 Ambitions (not to mention that this won't help with toddlers).
    Oh, and you could only add more outfits in one category in The Sims 3 through Change Outfit or Stylist Station.

And don't get me on how the outfits in The Sims 1 worked. You can change the everyday outfit at any time through a dresser, but to change the other outfits, you needed to go shopping (which required expansion packs). Plus you could never change the face.

And some other features I found annoying from the previous games:
    • That cow mascot from The Sims 2 University. They even ruin your romantic relationships!
    • In The Sims 3, taxis in the future were slower than taxis in the present.
    • How I played The Sims 3 muted because at any rare moment a meteor could fall (Ambitions).
    • Stuck in one world in The Sims 3. You could move worlds, but all those previous things will be gone forever. Move back there and it will be like it used to be at the start. I have to make my own worlds so the world has all the expansion pack features!
    • In The Sims 2, let your pet chew/scratch your furniture long enough and it will be gone. The replace feature is a really convenient feature! Just it would be great to have it for stolen stuff (otherwise I can't stand kleptomaniacs in The Sims 4)...
    • How difficult playing rotationally was in The Sims 3 without mods.
    • How presents could actually be rejected from time to time. Yay! What do I do with that thing now?
    • How roaches made sims cry in The Sims 2.
    • The Sims 1 dragons that set things on fire. After all, in The Sims 1, once your sim catches on fire there, they are dead for sure.
    • In The Sims 3, when a NPC sim dies, their new gravestone just disappears. If they were friends, you could find their grave in the mausoleum, but otherwise they'd be gone forever. What if I wanted to put it somewhere in the graveyard?
    • How needs in The Sims 1 left a dire consequences in breaking the strict routine you had going on.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,971 Member

So super annoying,
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina