Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Career update : Job Interview

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
edited March 2023 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Hi,

Before getting a job, the sims should have a job interview (rabbithole + chance card).
For example if the sim has Lazy, Loner and Gloomy traits, it could be impossible to work in Athlete or Military careers.

Additional tasks (skill level) may be required to be more convincing and get the job.
A sim with Active, Cheerful and Bro traits will be hired in Athlete or Military careers without job interview.

Sim with University degree can skip the job interview.

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Hi,

Before getting a job, the sims should have a job interview (rabbithole + chance card).
    For example if the sim has Lazy, Loner and Gloomy traits, it could be impossible to work in Athlete or Military careers.

Additional tasks (skill level) may be required to be more convincing and get the job.
    A sim with Active, Cheerful and Bro traits will be hired in Athlete or Military careers without job interview.

Sim with University degree can skip the job interview.

I don't think they shouldn't be able to join a certain career based on their traits alone. But maybe they wouldn't be able to advance all the way to the top if their traits are a hindrance, or advance but at a slower pace, and maybe they could get a chance card to change their trouble traits if they put in the work. I would like if sims could apply for jobs higher in the career tree if they have the skills for them.
  • Options
    afoxstailafoxstail Posts: 29 Member
    I'm not super fond of it but a way I could see it work is if they're already in work and then have a job interview to 'transfer' their progress into a new career path. In Sims 3 you used to get pop-ups about changing your job to an equivalent-ish level.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2023
    In fact I think it's strange to have Actor career with castings when for the other careers a phone call is enough to get a job.

The previous career could be a good point for the new job.
    For example, an experience in the Athlete career is a good point for the Military career.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    That would actually be a great idea! as crocobaura said, I don't think they shouldn't be able to join a career because of their traits, but it could be harder and their traits could maybe change a bit like they can in Growing Together. Job interviews would make so much sense. If it was a rabbit hole you could get pop ups to walk them through it.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    That would make getting a job more interesting! It could be based in part on traits and skills depending on each career, plus tasks to make it easier. And high charisma could be helpful for every interview, plus a certain level in Mischief to lie at your interview, maybe?
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    No trait or skill level should outright guarantee a job opening and neither should traits make getting a job outright impossible. There always has to be a slight chance for success even for the least acceptable appliccant and as well a slight chance for failure for even the best fit.

With that out of the way, re-purposing the actor gigs would be the best way to approach this. The sim gets a time window, a base chance based on skills, friends in the same career, degrees and traits (the exact numerically value probably hidden from the player?) and a list of tasks that can improve this chance.

And, most importantly, for players like me, a checkbox to define what careers will require job interviews at all ;)
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt I agree with you. I was thinking more along the lines of how to apply to university in Sims 4, but I like the parallel with acting gigs as well. :)

For anyone else reading, I just want to make clear what I had in mind (don't know about the others) is indeed that skills and traits could lower or increase odds of getting a job. (I also kinda miss having to look up what jobs are currently available in Sims 3, though maybe with a slightly less restricted list of jobs than in that version, since it could get tedious once new jobs got released.)
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    This sounds like a really fun idea in theory, but I have serious concerns about the potential for bugs. If this mechanism is badly bugged it could nerf careers.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.