March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SerraNolwen's builds

SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 730 Member
edited February 21 in Nominated Threads
Hello all!

I decided it's time I finally created a thread where I could showcase all of my builds. Here, you'll find the things I make for occasional contests and challenges as well as ones I make for my own games. I'm also planning to make a couple Disney inspired build, so you can look forward to that. I won't be making huge castles because they are unruly when it comes to playing, but we shall see how it goes.

All the builds shown here are devoid of cc and can be found on the gallery.

I love constructive criticism, so please, go ahead and tell me what you think! I've been building for a while, but not as much as a lot of people here, so I'm sure I have plenty to learn. And with this, enjoy!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 730 Member
    I'm probably not going to add older builds here, since it would take forever to upload all the pictures again, so to get started, here is my most recent build. Halloween is coming and I recently bought Spooky Stuff, so I decided to make a house that is both fun, quirky and slightly creepy, all ready for Halloween. Here is the download link

I tried to make the house look less symmetrical than my usual builds.
    umpmEdd.png

In the backyard, there is a murky pond, some decor and training equipment which, to some, might as well be a torture implement.
    8GvgnI5.png

Let's go from right to left for the living room, which is the first thing you see when coming in. I tried to put in entertainment for sims of all ages. Notice there is very little tech in this home: no tv, no computer.
    7NAG9Q7.png
    uTDpqZ9.png
    M5vsSZc.png

The living room leads straight to the kitchen...
    qmTfjkI.png

...and to a tiny office space for when you need some quiet.
    0ANNl69.png

The upstairs landing as some strange paintings.
    2j5E83j.png

Here is the main bedroom. It has an on-suite bathroom. I tried to keep the Halloween theme, but tone it down slightly.
    6e9hhhp.png

As for the family's two kids, they love Halloween and they embrace it.
    s0zWYDC.png

I hope you like this! Stay tuned for more builds!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    It is great that you have set up a showcase thread for your builds! :)
    Creepy Fun Party House is a great home for Halloween! :) The exterior design of the home, the roofing, the exterior wall texture and the greenery on the walls look very great! The double steps front entryway looks very nice. The ghosts and pumpkin are great touches. The murky pond in the backyard looks great! Sims will enjoy keeping fit using the weights machine. Very nice spooky themed furnishing of the interior! The black wooden wall texture gives a great feel to the rooms! Very nice living room! Sims will enjoy sitting in front of the fireplace chatting, or have fun playing with the toys from the chest or the dollhouse , playing darts or the llama tabletop game, and enjoy playing the piano or listening to it being played. They will enjoy doing pumpkin carving! The spooky skelly bear and the pumpkin floor rug look great in the room! Very nice kitchen and eat in dining area! The Halloween decor item on the dining tabletop is a great touch there, and the orange colour of the flooring suits the home type well. The black and orange colour scheme of the home looks great! It is nice that there is a study desk nook for sims to enjoy playing chess or reading a book at the desk. The portrait paintings look great on the upper landing wall! Very nice wallpaper used for the master bedroom. The pumpkin lights look great. The spiderweb wall pattern, pumpkins and hand wall candle look great in the kids bedroom!
    It is a very nice Halloween home! :)
    Thank you for taking the time to do this, @rosemow. It is always appreciated. :)
  • BlueShreveBlueShreve Posts: 550 Member
    Nice house, I love the old "creepy" look mixed in with the medieval look.
    ZH6FuAy.png
    ----> Check out and download my creations HERE <----
    ----> View my Showcase thread HERE <----
    I surprised myself yesterday. This time, it didn't take me weeks to complete a build, but a single day! I just bought the Movie Hangout stuff pack and wanted to play around with it as I built a new house for my sims. I played around with all the patterns and colours, trying to mix a lot of colours and make it look quirky without being painful to the eyes. Every colour I used, I brought back in some other spot in the room. Well, on to the pictures, shall we? And it you want to download it, here is the link.

This is the front of the house. It's the one part I'm not entirely satisfied with. It seems I can't ever make facades look interesting. Anyone got tips for that?
    cNX4sRN.png

Oh well, on to the entrance and the beginning of the tour.
    XA9Wtxj.png

There is a small bathroom right next to that entrance.
    BMbAF1N.png

But if you go left when leaving the entrance instead, you get to the open living space including the living room, kitchen (separated by a half-wall to hide the mess), dining room and a play area for children. I gave myself so many strange colors to work with on this one that it was a little difficult, but I think the end result is interesting.
    2oaTf6D.png
    FcX4Imp.png
    uYMe23H.png
    1ICl5GG.png

There's also an office space for my sim, who not only loves movies, but makes a living writing scenarios. She needed some peace and quiet for writing and proof-reading.
    zMHGHJV.png
    HCCdWEy.png

Outside is a spot for gatherings, whether to watch movies or have a dance party.
    YnCZitg.png
    05OiaYz.png

Let's go upstairs.
    qS6dvIP.png

There's another bathroom of course.
    Vz4qPcc.png

The child's bedroom. She loves pink.
    emN1l4o.png
    5nVqr22.png

And the master bedroom, which my sim kindly let his wife decorate however she wanted.
    6GAzKYZ.png
    29au2QK.png

Still, anyone would enjoy that balcony, so who would complain?
    0Ci7x17.png

I hope you like this build! As usual constructive criticism is always very much appreciated! I mean it.
    Thanks @BlueShreve ! It was fun to build. It is kind of a mix-and-match of styles. I tend to do that a lot. XD
  • BlueShreveBlueShreve Posts: 550 Member
    I like how you made everything so colorful and they blend together. Hey (shameless plug) I made some more normal looking recolors for the movie hangout seats and some matching dinning sets, if you are interested check it out at modthesims.
    ZH6FuAy.png
    ----> Check out and download my creations HERE <----
    ----> View my Showcase thread HERE <----
    @BlueShreve They do look nice, but I avoid cc in my games. Thanks, though!
    Every day is a festival is a very nice home! :) It looks very nice how you have used the items from Movie Hangout pack in your home. The colours used through the home looks very nice! The colourful patterned seating looks very nice in the dining room and outdoors sitting areas. Very nice design of the exterior of the home. The plants look great on the edges of the front of the home. The clothes and shoes racks nook in the entrance area is a nice homely touch. The open plan layout of the living, dining, kitchen and play areas looks very nice! Sims will enjoy relaxing on the sofa and armchair watching tv or reading a book. It looks very nice how the half walls separate off the kitchen area. The condiments, bread box, paper towel on the kitchen counter and fruit bowl on the dining table are nice cooking and meal touches. The orange ceiling lights look pretty! Very nice corner nook for kids to enjoy using the building blocks table or playing with the dollhouse. Very nice study desk nook. Sims will enjoy sitting at the desk table using the computer or resting reading a book in the armchair. The outdoors party and entertainrment area looks great! Sims will enjoy watching movies, dancing to the stereo music, playing foosball and singing there. They will like using the punching bag to keep fit. Very nice furnishing and the colour schemes of the bedrooms. It is very nice that there is hot tub balcony that leads off from the master bedroom.
    It is a very nice home! :)
    Thank you @rosemow! ^_^
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    These are so cute @SerraNolwen. I love all the colors.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • djmollsinodjmollsino Posts: 33 Member
    I really like the spooky house! It's adorable xx
    @joRN1414 and @djmollsino Thank you both! I like using at least a little color in all of my builds. So often I look through the gallery and feel like everything is just white, black and beige. That's not always the case, of course, but there are a lot of those. I try to stay away from that.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    @joRN1414 and @djmollsino Thank you both! I like using at least a little color in all of my builds. So often I look through the gallery and feel like everything is just white, black and beige. That's not always the case, of course, but there are a lot of those. I try to stay away from that.

I like color too. I've been using a lot of blues in my in game houses recently.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
    @joRN1414 I thought I'd replied! Sorry. Blue is very nice. I had what I retrospectively called my blue phase in July. Somehow, all the builds I made for contests had blue as the main color. XD
    edited October 2017
    Another build! I'm doing a lot these days. This one was created for a new project of mine: recreating stories from animated movies in the Sims. I decided to start with the first feature length classic I know of: Snow White. So I built the seven dwarfs home. Here is the link for downloading.

Let's start with a look at the outside. I had to make the left part slightly wider since we can't actually put things inside roofs and I needed to fit in seven adult sized beds.
    sVWRLsG.png

There's a bunny peeking through the window.
    4lxyKJM.png

And as you can see, lots of clutter even outside (though not so much as to make the game run slowly)
    o6wQsn6.png

I put in a hot tub in the backyard as a stand in for the bath outside their home. I've also added a horseshoe game just so the dwarfs will have something fun to do outside.
    3p8DeI1.png

Ok now, let's go inside. This is when you see when you first step in. The whole house is full of spider webs and the walls have cracks and tears everywhere.
    F5a8VSN.png

A better look at some of the details of the kitchen and surroundings:
    5e1c6vr.png
    13sepL8.png
    KG4WWOz.png
    4Wf4Q7z.png

(Again, I've added a gaming table just to give them something fun.) These three doors lead to the toilets and bathroom. The dwarfs don't care much for the actual bathroom. They don't even own a mirror. Still, if the bathroom was sort of an after thought, they did need at least two toilets.
    zBC2vwC.png
    n9XnoVH.png
    euC3qYY.png

Here is the living room. I tried to keep the cluttered look while leaving plenty of space for everyone to dance in the middle.
    fXXoZvU.png
    4WBYRA7.png

And finally, the bedroom, which is just cramped.
    X25K1sB.png

Oh, here are the floor plans!
    4C818vr.png
    jdQfO50.png

Post edited by SerraNolwen on
    The Seven Dwarves home is very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The curved roofing and Tuder wall pattrning looks great! Very nice outdoors areas. The bunny is cute on the crates looking through the windows! It is nice that there is an outdoors hot tub nook for the Dwarves to enjoy relaxing in the tub. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The spider webs and the cracks is the walls through the home add a great look to the home! The second blue beds in bedroom for the Dwarves to sleep in looks great! Very nice design of the kitchen and dining room! The stone wall texture creates a great feel to the area, and the type of stove used suits the home type well. The hanging pots, wall knives, bread box, kitchen cabinet, utensils , fruit crates and items on the kitchen wall shelves , and are nice homely touches. Very nice fireplace nook. The fire will keep the room warm. The teapot, condiments and plate look great on the fireplace ledge. The dwarves will have fun playing card games on the card table. Very nice living room! The dwarves will enjoy dancing on the circular rug to the gramophone music, or resting in the armchairs reading a book. The tools wall cabinet looks great there, and complements with the woodworking table in the room well . They will enjoy playing or listening to the pipe organ music.
    The Seven Dwarves will enjoy living there! :)
    As usual, thank you @rosemow for the taking the time to do this! ^_^ I had fun putting in all the details.
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    The Seven Dwarves cottage is just Adorable! That bedroom... SO cute! Love all the cracks and cobwebs you added throughout too. :blush:
    Thanks @WrathofCath! I'm glad you like it. The dwarves aren't exactly good house keepers. XD But I guess their childish side (and mine) is letting some of those things be cute. I'm quite happy with the shelves in the bedroom. As I've been playing them, I've also added a couple gems and wood sculptures there. I think they add a lot both for the overcrowded feel and for the cutesy, quirky part.
    Why do I keep doing this to myself? Why do I build on diagonals? Struggling to make a home for Snow White and wishing we already had the November patch...
    Why do I keep doing this to myself? Why do I build on diagonals? Struggling to make a home for Snow White and wishing we already had the November patch...

It will be great to see and use the new build mode features that are coming with the November patch ! I will look forward to seeing your home for Snow White :)
    I think I managed to make Snow's house / castle look like something. It took forever to figure out the layout and get rid of (most) glitches. I had to give up on a few of the second floor squares because I couldn't make the roof inside disappear, no matter what I tried. All that's left to do is play-test. Until then, here's a sneak peak at the outside.

Cg6k0LA.png

I've also uploaded Snow as a child, either on her own or with her current household (father, cook and the cook's daughter).
    The exterior of Snow White’s castle looks very great! :) Very nice layout and design of the exterior! The roofing gives it a great look! The narrow roof topped towers are great in the build, and the greenery is a nice touch on the roofing edges. Very nice patio areas. The bat/gargoyle looks great on the upper patio. It is nice that there is a corner pond nook on the ground patio. The white lit tree and red plants look nice placed on the edges of it. It looks very nice how you have done the balcony area where the planter boxes are on the balcony walls.
    I hope that your playtesting goes well :)
    Thanks @rosemow ! I hope so as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top