Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Simulation Renovation Contest - WINNERS POSTED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    dash3001dash3001 Posts: 639 Member
    edited September 2012
    Entry Form
    Simmer Name: Dash3001
    Lot Name: Young, Contempo, & Sustainable

*I’m sorry. This post will be VERY pic heavy because I tried to get every room and outside. Let me know if I need to cut down.

**My Photobucket Album is HERE. It has more pics for the details that are missed in this post. Thnx

**My pic sizes seem wayyyy off. I have a paid Photobucket account so I wanted to get my moneys worth. Anyone know the comparable photobucket sizes?

***Upload Young, Contempo, & Sustainable here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6340684

Introduction of Lot:

After our initial interview with DodoBird and Jurik, we had a small additional chat to find out who they were as Sims. We walked away from the second chat with a sense that this couple is not only young and fun, but very much in love. So much in love, that DodoBird proposed to Jurik at the park we met them in, in the same exact spot he met her so many years ago. We immediately contacted the network executives who agreed to throw them a wedding and send them on an all expenses paid honeymoon! Congrats DodoBird and Jurik!

Many young couples today like to have fun, spend time with family and/or friends, and dabble in eco-friendly activities. Mark and I took all these things into consideration and along with our sponsors (mostly Green businesses), we outfitted their starter home to compliment their lifestyle.

-Come on in-

Screenshot-203.jpg
    We got rid of the outdated siding and slapped on a concrete façade with stonework added at the borders. There were lots of flowering plants out front, but because DodoBird and Jurik lead active lives and have two cats (Karma and Imogene) who just love to eat them, we put down recycled gravel from a demolished building, and recycled mulch. It’s pretty, efficient, and best of all, low-maintenance.

Screenshot-202.jpg
    We did give the couple some greenery, as they like plants. These low-watering plants are pretty and icky tasting to cats. We made a makeshift monument out front to add a little pizzazz to the yard and give the Sims’ household a unique look.

Screenshot-198-1.jpg
    We gave the couple a recycling bin and for those things that unfortunately can’t be recycled, we updated their garbage can by painting it the same jaunty red used on the front door. You’ll also notice the faux columns we added to either side of the garage. They draw the eye to an area usually ignored. Dodo and Jurik wanted curb-appeal, and we delivered.

Mark: Ginger, maybe we should go inside now. I’m sure Dodo and Jurik are well pleased with the wheat grass plants outside, a red door, and some warbling-wind chimes, but they probably want to see their house now!

Screenshot-8.jpg
    Sorry Mark, you’re right, of course. Here is an aerial view of the home. As you’ll see a bit later, we added a garden for Dodo, a pond for Jurik, a cat-station for Karma and Imogene; a back patio and hot-tub/pool combo for entertaining and a grill.

Screenshot-9.jpg
    As you can see, we got rid of the empty office space off the bedroom and kitchen and turned it into a proper dining room. The kitchen is now much more roomy for prepping and gathering supplies. Other than that repurpose, the details are in the design and décor.

Screenshot-10.jpg
    We added walls to the basement! Now Dodo and Jurik have a proper laundry area, which is shared with the pets. We added an additional full bath to the home, and guest bedroom. In the basement main living area we sectioned it off to include a small office area, a nectar making station, and a place for the pets.

-Let’s Take a Closer Look-

Living Room

Screenshot-11.jpg
    Dodo and Jurik are young and full of fun. We didn’t want to overwhelm them with things! They have their 30s and 40s to collect stuff. Still, we wanted them to live in style, youthful style. Check out the white plantation shutters on the long windows. On the walls we gave them crown molding and wainscoting in neutrals and white. Our Green sponsors donated a natural gas fireplace—no chimney to pollute the air with fumes and no wood burning to promote destruction of the forests. We took out the nasty old carpet and put in reclaimed wood we found in an abandoned house that was marked for bulldozing. It was termite free and, well, FREE!! Jurik’s favorite colors are green and black. We didn’t want to goth the place out with black so we gave them some trendy black leather tables, a small oriental rug in black and green and gold, and we accented the couch with green cushions. This way, their favorite colors don’t become an eyesore!

Dining Room

Screenshot-14.jpg
    Jurik won the dining room war as well. We made minor structural improvements. We added an arched window and two archways to the kitchen.

Screenshot-15.jpg
    We didn’t want to overwhelm the small room, so we gave them a four-seat table. But since they love the outdoors, they’ll probably eat most of their meals on the patio (until Seasons comes). We gave them a dark leather credenza to store their wedding china in and some fine plants with strong, deep green elements. The walls here are papered in a textured silk that is as durable as it is pretty. Sometimes we can’t worry about the environment!

Screenshot-18.jpg
    Our kitchen is also green. We used an elegant wall papered accent wall to compliment our key lime green painted walls. We found out that Dodo and Jurik and amateur foodies so we made sure that we gave them good quality, industrial appliances. We have a stainless steel oven range and matching stove hood. The counters are also made of reclaimed wood and we painted them white and green. You’ll see the arches we added for better access to the dining room flanking the stove. We added a small one-tile island with room for seating. I also added a huge mock bay window to compliment the couple’s love of the outdoors.

Screenshot-17.jpg
    If we expand the view, you’ll see that recycling, again, takes center stage. And we didn’t forget the kitties. Our sponsors donated a state-of-the-art pet feeding station that automatically dispenses the meal.
    *I had photos of Dodo’s and Juriks favorite meals on the wall. I had to remove them because I use a default replacement for plates, which somehow wanted to attach itself to the house. In compliance with the no CC rule, I removed it.

Screenshot-20.jpg
    In the rear, you’ll see that when we removed that abhorrent dining room table, we put in more counter space, a fast microwave, an espresso machine, and a very special stainless steel refrigerator. The back wall also receives special treatment with a matching accent wall. Please also note the column added by the door to the garage which serves as a line of demarcation to separate the living room and kitchen!

Garage

Screenshot-22.jpg
    Just because a guy drives a Prius doesn’t mean he can’t love cars and all they stand for! We gave Dodo a dream garage for all his man-toys. It’s decorated in his favorite color.
    Screenshot-23.jpg
    In the existing garage we found a box full of Dodo’s old memorabilia and added it to the new space.

Screenshot-25.jpg
    He’s got some new too! Mark found an old gas pump at the junk yard and we repainted it. We gave the cats an upstairs litter box, out of the way of guests that might come by and the sponsors donated a craftsman set of tools.

First Floor Bath

Screenshot-31.jpg
    The upstairs bath got an update as well. We retiled the walls and floors with bio-friendly products and gave them low energy halogen lighting.

Screenshot-32.jpg
    We replaced the tub/shower combo with a shower stall. Busy young people don’t have time for baths! (They should, however, shower, lol).

Second Bedroom

Screenshot-125.jpgScreenshot-126.jpgScreenshot-124.jpg
    We kept the second bedroom on the main floor. We combined the favorite colors of Dodo and Jurik and added in accent colors. There is one twin bed, a desk, and a crib. Yes, we know the couple is just starting out, but accidents do happen! So as long as they stay away from the try-for-baby button, they’ll be alright. Just in case though, the colors are kid-friendly for this family-oriented, nurturing couple…

Master Sanctuary

Screenshot-127.jpg
    Adults need love too. It looks like Dodo won this fight. We wanted it manly, but not absolutely testosterone inducing. So we added in blue accents to the bold browns and gave them dark wood bedside tables.
    Screenshot-128.jpg
    *The bed is the Diesel bed and the curtains are from the store. I used a mod cheat to remove the stencils from both. They should show up in your game as-is, but I wouldn’t re-CAS them or the stencil might come back. **No mod is needed to use this and nothing uploads to your game so it is completely safe. Checked and double-checked with Custard.
    Screenshot-131.jpg
    Large windows have been added to the room for our outdoorsy couple and a nice seating area for reading.

Basement – Semi-Man Cave

Screenshot-136.jpg
    Super duper TV? Video Game system? Bean bag chairs? This has got to be the man cave! Or is it?

It’s certainly for entertaining. Whether its friends or just Dodo, Jurik and the cats, fun is to be had down here. Reclaimed wood floors, leftover stone from the exterior of the house and bio-friendly poured concrete walls are just some of the features in this space.

Screenshot-137.jpg
    Jurik has a fully stocked nectar station filled with perfect wines (thanks to our sponsors who raised the cows, which fertilized the grapes and fruit used in these wines…you might need a pasteurizer…just saying). If Jurik actually wanted to work at earning her lifetime wish, this isn’t the house for her. This nectar is worth a whole lot more than she’s ever wished to have. And in case she wants more nectar, we’ve given her the means to make it with a brand new nectar maker from Champs Le Sims!

Screenshot-139.jpg
    The cats will laze idly by as their owners work and play.

Screenshot-140.jpgScreenshot-141.jpg
    Since we took away Dodo’s and Jurik’s upstairs office, we made a niche for them down here. We gave them a few windows to trick the outdoorsmen into feeling like they aren’t in a subterranean basement. We also gave them opposing desks, a bookshelf, and plenty of counter and drawer space. You can’t see, it, but the turtle terrarium is on the opposite side of the desk on the left.

Screenshot-144.jpg
    Play time, boys n’ girls! Dodo (or Jurik) can game till the world ends down here.

Screenshot-147.jpg
    We want to give a special thanks to CreatEve Works for her tutorial on building an aquarium. Thank you. After we saw it, we just had to give it to Dodo and Jurik! Mostly Jurik though, because now she doesn’t have to kill the fish she catches!

2nd Floor Bath

Screenshot-150.jpg
    Ah, a nice relaxing place to bathe and do other business. We used recycled paper for our wallpaper and tiles we found in an old abandoned nectary. They all just happen to be in Dodo’s and Jurik’s favorite colors. And might I point out, the greenery on the walls is lush and out of the cats’ way. Down here, the lovebirds may draw baths for one another in this deluxe spa tub from one of our sponsors.

Screenshot-155.jpg
    Down here, we stuck with fun instead of the elegant as we did with the upstairs bathroom. What man wants a frou-frou bathroom in his man cave?

Screenshot-158.jpgScreenshot-156.jpg
    Let them Wash Clothes After They Eat Cake. All the Sims could want for their personal hygienic needs. Including an additional litter box down here for the cats. The garage is miles away when your p e e bar is empty! Oh yeah, the washer and dryer are high efficiency and the dryer should only be used when the weather outside is frightful.

Guest Bedroom

Screenshot-160.jpgScreenshot-161.jpg
    Dodo lost this fight. One frou-frou space made its way into the man cave. Jurik was adamant that guests not sleep on hammocks or futons. So we gave her what she wanted. Blue-green and black dots this room for a very elegant feel. The priceless art and cleanly decorated space will ensure overnight visitors never want to leave.

Outside

Screenshot-169.jpgScreenshot-171.jpg
    We didn’t forget about the bar or the grill. We wanted the couple to enjoy their friends and family where they most liked being—outside. They can entertain their friends and family in every season with their unique natural gas fireplace. It blows hot and cold! (ignore the fire!)

Screenshot-172.jpg
    Screenshot-173.jpg
    A path of perfect fruit bearing trees for Dodo leads to the small water feature we installed for Jurik.

Screenshot-174.jpg
    We gave her blooms! The cats don’t like water so they’ll stay away from her flowers and she can fish in this zen-perfect space.

Screenshot-178.jpg
    Speaking of the cats, they have their own space. Instead of giving the young couple kid equipment for unplanned offspring, we gave their feline babies a playspot. Here, they can run amok, nap, or woo-hoo if they want. It’s all surrounded by a perfect white-picket fence!

Screenshot-182.jpg
    We gave them a clothesline for manually drying their clothes when the weather permits. It reduces the carbon footprint, ya know.

Screenshot-185.jpg
    And finally, our water spa area. We gave Dodo and Jurik the same low-watering, cat nasty plants as we did in the front to keep the kitties uninterested. We also provided a marble edged hottub…

Screenshot-212.jpg
    And Olympic sized lap pool. With seating.

I hope DodoBird and Jurik enjoys our remodel! Thanks for joining us on Renovate Yo Space!!

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Mimine17Mimine17 Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited September 2012
    Entry Form:
    Simmer Name: Mimine17
    Lot Name: Jurik's renovated house
    Download Link http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6342078

More pics here : http://img217.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=screenshot774.jpg

Introduction of Lot:
    Here we are ! The time has just finished working on the renovation ! Let's see how Jurik and DodoBird Sims are going to enjoy their new home !

Here is the front view of the renovated house. We chose not to change much the exterior to fit in the neighbourood. We just give the exterior some fresh paints, and added tons of plants and flowers ! We left some space outside the fences, so if it comes that our lovely couple have children, they'll be able to put a playground there !

screenshot696.jpg

Here is the plane view for the first floor :

screenshot766.jpg

screenshot769w.jpg

We separated the main room in a dinner space and and entrance where they can put keys and everything. There is a bookshelf too so they can relax here and read a book. From tthe entrance, they can see the inside of the new TV room : we opened it with an arch.

And here of the basement :
    screenshot703.jpg

Well, let's see how DodoBird and Jurik feels :
    screenshot765o.jpg

They seem to be in a hurry to discover it !

We renovated the interior so it gives a modern aspect. We choose mainly white paint or papers on the different walls to make is as clear as possible, except when we added wood for a comfy feeling. As they both love black, the modern furnishing was the best choice. And we also added a few surprises for our young couple !

Let's have a look to what's hidden in the 2 cars garage :
    screenshot747r.jpg

We thought that this young couple was needing brand new ecological cars, to reduce both their bills and carbon emanations. Of course, one is green .. It'll be easy to decide whose car is it, right?? Oh, and for the beautiful days, we also added one bike, just in case..

screenshot745z.jpg

Let's go now in the first floor, Jurik is all set in the new kitchen :

scaled.php?server=217&filename=screenshot774.jpg&res=landing

Let's see the kitchen a bit more :
    screenshot749e.jpg

Ohhh I'm so sorry, our silly photograph took this picture before the painter finished the ceiling ! Of course the ceiling got his part of brand new white paint !

Now they enjoy their dinner :
    screenshot779v.jpg

Let's their new room !

screenshot757q.jpg

screenshot712u.jpg

Here is the TV room :

screenshot752u.jpg

And the second bedroom :
    screenshot756.jpg

And bath !

screenshot755e.jpg

And outside.. there is the all new winter garden ! Between the garage and growing vegetables area :

screenshot697.jpg

screenshot760.jpg

We found this way to enable DodoBird and Jurik to have has many flowers and plants as they will like ! They just have to close the doors from the Imogen and Karma (because we took care of any bad plants for them on the rest of the house, but not here !) We added a small couch to relax, and the feeling in here was so nice that we thought that an easel might reveal some hidden talents !

Imogen totally found her way to her playground !

screenshot730.jpg

And DodoBird just grabbed the surprise we planned for Jurilk : her Multitab tablet so she can surf Sims forums from everywhere !
    screenshot714.jpg

He started playing in the guest room.
    screenshot715.jpg

screenshot716z.jpg

Let's see the rest of the basement : here is the main area:

screenshot732j.jpg

screenshot733.jpg

Yes, we added fun for their guests ! they can play pool, even play a little guitar if they have some artists to invite, or drink some cocktails. The two nig mirros give the impression this room is really large ! They can relax by the pool or in the new lounge area next to the pet area :

screenshot735.jpg

The laundry room :
    screenshot741d.jpg

screenshot744g.jpg

And another surprise for our lovely couple in the bathroom : an all peaced wooden bathroom with a massage table ! Hopefully they'll enjoy it !

screenshot740a.jpg

screenshot739k.jpg

screenshot738x.jpg

And what about Jurik and DodoBird?

screenshot729.jpg

DodoBird seems to enjoy all exterior features :

screenshot778.jpg

And Karma took a nap :
    screenshot783.jpg

Well, they seemed all relaxed now ! Already enjoying our makeover !

screenshot708.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ok I still have a few pictures to post, but it's taking forever to upload them, it failed a few time..

My entry is all set apart from that, the link to download, just need a few more pictures and few lines.

It's 2:30 in the morning and my eyes are closing by themselves ;) so if you agree, I'll update the picture tomorrow . If you don't agree , I'm totally OK with that too (don't force yourself, I know what I ask is being unfair to other participants), but I just can finish now lol. And it's not so bad so far :)

See you tomorrow !
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited September 2012
    Simmer Name: ciane
    Lot Name: The Dorik
    Download Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6342462
    Introduction of Lot: (why do you think your entry meets the needs of the home owners) I really thought about the effort involved on the part of Jurik and Dodobird in real life. I limited changes to what I felt could be accomplished by two enterprising young individuals with a lot of talent. Even if money is no object, the effort just might not be worth it. With that in mind...

I don't think anyone enjoys looking out their front window at a porch column or not being able to look out the front door to see who is there. So, we took out one big front window and the solid, single door and replaced them with a nice double door with windows all around. (This also makes moving out old furniture and moving in new furniture easier.)

This meant moving the overhead porch light to one side, so we also moved the stairs light fixture, which matched the outside one, to the other side of the door for balance and replaced the stair light with a much more energy efficient modern light. Then, of course we had to put in bricks to cover the spots where the old door and window were. Then, we painted just the door and other frames black to add sharp contrast, match the roof, and bring in one of Jurik's favorite colors. (It will also hide dirt much better.) For balance, we painted the siding a nice light blue since Dodobird's favorite color is blue.

We edged the cement with pavers and used additional pavers to add a walkway around the house. We also added a couple columns and a simple roof over the patio. (Most HOAs simply require the pitch of an added porch roof to match that of the house.) And, as a special treat for Jurik, we added a hot tub off that porch, a gnubb set in one side yard, and a trampoline.

In an effort to keep the HOA happy, landscaping plants were kept to the pre-existing, already prepared flower beds. Dodobird gets a vegetable garden right next to the patio. He also has a fine selection of varied fruit trees and grapes, some of them perfect, along the fence line. (Dodo is already half way up his gardening career and has already planted some perfect plants.) This will also be beneficial for Jurik's new LTW.

Next up, literally, was the old carpets. It was a sin to cover those old wood floors! We polished them and think they look great, and we added some fun throw rugs.

The kitchen and dining area are small and didn't have much room, so we moved the cupboards to the back wall and added a couple cabinets there for more counter space. We added a couple hanging pot racks so you won't need as much cabinet storage and we also added a window over the stove, so you won't feel so confined while cooking. The dining table now seats four and can seat six (and there's room on the patio for another four to sit at that table). The mirror over the table is to open that space even more visually and to multiply the food on the table (again, visually).

The tile in the upstairs bath had a colored sealant added both for more color and to make it more water-resistant. We repainted the cupboards; added towels, racks, and artwork; and replaced the old toilet seat.

In addition to your office and master bedroom, a spare bedroom is now ready to entertain your friends' kids, nieces, nephews, siblings, or possible future children of your own. All plants are kept up high where the cats shouldn't get (with the exception of the hall plant which sits in a tall angled vase that hopefully will survive cat attacks).

Downstairs the bath, laundry, and guest room were framed and walled in. Only the floor in the guest room needed new tile. The bathroom and laundry got more colored sealant on the floor and the same marble look to the walls used in the upstairs bath for easy wipe up.

The rec room is the focal point. Dodobird should be ecstatic to see his new pool table. Guests can sit at the bar or in comfy swivel chairs and enjoy some excellent to perfect nectar. This is also where all your pets hang out, but don't worry, the litter box is out of sight down the hall behind the stairs.

The garage is still simply a garage, but it now houses a brand new Prius, a Beast of a motorcycle, and a mountain bike as well. We put in a workout bench just so that others will think you work out (even if you don't). You might enjoy the added shelves, storage and tool cabinets, and even the saw horses we used on the project (left for your own future DIY projects for which we've added money to your kitty).

And, as an extra bonus, we upgraded everything to unbreakable. That's right our quality control ladies put everything to the test. All electrical and all plumbing items are guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Pictures:
    • post as many pictures as you like - remember, you are judged on presentation
    • must have at least one of each of the following pictures
    • please provide a top-down view of each of the floors

Screenshot-151.jpg

Screenshot-144.jpg

Screenshot-147.jpg

Screenshot-152.jpg

For the story and pictures, please go here and click on the first picture and read the description. Then, click next all the way though. You'll find a surprise ending.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/a contest/4DnJ/
  • Options
    Jurik1124Jurik1124 Posts: 4,627 New Member
    edited September 2012
    :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my gosh, what wonderful entries! We just got home and have to go to bed in a bit (traveling to the city tomorrow), but I can't wait to show our homeowners these new submissions. Great job everyone! Oh, I am so glad I have help judging this contest. It is going to be tough!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    And...... closed! Officially. :D

Be back on Sunday to judge! Everyone did a FANTASTIC job! You all really took the personalities and traits of these two sims and incorporated them into their newly remodeled homes. I love all the attention to detail you all had! Just wonderful! This is going to be so hard to judge!
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited September 2012
    @Jurik- Hi hon. I'm still good as far as sponsoring. I am in the process of moving and won't have internet until about Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I will gift whoever I need to as soon as I'm back online. Thanks hon.:D **Hugs**
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    @Jurik- Hi hon. I'm still good as far as sponsoring. I am in the process of moving and won't have internet until about Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I will gift whoever I need to as soon as I'm back online. Thanks hon.:D **Hugs**

Thanks Sharon! I hope all is well!

Just an update - we had quite a busy weekend, so tonight we will sit down and start the judging process! Sorry for the delay everyone!
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited September 2012
    Just checking in , I guess I will have to wait to see the results of this contest when I get back in about a weeks time. Good luck every one. :D
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Checking in too ! Of course hoping to see the results, but I can imagine how hard it is to judge :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Mimine17 wrote:
    Checking in too ! Of course hoping to see the results, but I can imagine how hard it is to judge :)

Results will be posted tonight or tomorrow! Sorry for such a delay - this week has been so crazy with school and fighting with EA. But Dodo and I are gonna be able to sit down tonight and finish the judging. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Jurik1124 wrote:
    Mimine17 wrote:

Results will be posted tonight or tomorrow! Sorry for such a delay - this week has been so crazy with school and fighting with EA. But Dodo and I are gonna be able to sit down tonight and finish the judging. :D

Take your time. Life gets in the way and EA is hard to fight with especially when they already have your money!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No hurry ! Do what you have to do ;)

And good luck with EA... I hope you'll get your problems solved !
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    A promised pic of the finished tile:

We put in the blue tile earlier (for my hubby, infantry blue) and had to have something with a blue grey in it:

tile005.jpg

See how it looks with the brick fireplace and rosewood:

tile004.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    That's a pretty tile. I love the matching grout. We did something similar in the master bathroom. A deep reddish grout with the tiles. I thought it would look weird until it was finished and then I loved it.
  • Options
    SunnyBelleSunnyBelle Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited September 2012
    Wow Ciane thats gorgeous! Worth all the incovenience I would say. That foot mat works all the colours together like magic. Love it! Thank you for sharing it here :D
  • Options
    snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited September 2012
    Ciane, just by those screenshots I know I would love your house. May I ask how old it is?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Snowdove, it was built in 1983 I think so it's going on 30 years old. You would love it though and you are welcome to visit any time.

It has that lovely rosewood paneling solid in the little den with built-in cabinets and book shelves filling one wall and an all rosewood ceiling. It has a very large window though, so it gets the morning sun and stays cheery.

The living room has french doors leading to the back covered patio (seen in the picture) on one side of the fireplace and french doors to the den on the otherside. That wall is all brick. The paneling in the livingroom is only on the bottom half and the ceiling, which angles a bit from the wall tops before the flat paneling on top for the recessed lighting and air vents (and my someday to-be-installed solar tube).

The dining room has the same lower paneling on the walls and paneling on the ceiling, which is placed in a recessed rectangular cut-out above the normal ceiling height.

The kitchen, baths, and laundry have the rosewood cabinets and cupboards. The master bedroom (which is our entertainment room) has an cutout, recessed ceiling too that is eight-sided, but has no paneling except for the baseboard. It also has a huge walk-in closet with two racks on one side and a single one on the other that run the whole length of the master bedroom.

The bedrooms, den, and living room all have ceiling fans, which make the house very comfortable in our Texas heat.

And, I have a wonderfully large covered front porch as well with room for a lage fountain on one end, truly awesome large winchester chimes, a glider and some rocker chairs and little tables and benches and large plant pots.

Yeah, I love my home.
  • Options
    snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm surprised at the rosewood in a newer house (compared to mine). My grandmother has it all through her home, even the double wide staircase. The cabin we go to once a year has it but that place is ancient too. I just don't see it much anymore. Your house does sound wonderful.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    snowdove58 wrote:
    I'm surprised at the rosewood in a newer house (compared to mine). My grandmother has it all through her home, even the double wide staircase. The cabin we go to once a year has it but that place is ancient too. I just don't see it much anymore. Your house does sound wonderful.

It was the home that developer built for, and lived in, himself before he moved out of town.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh, ciane! That turned out awesome! It looks amazing!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    First off, I would like to apologize again for the time it took to get the judging done in this contest. We had some things come up this weekend that pushed all my work back and I have been working like crazy. (FINALLY got Supernatural yesterday and it is still sitting in its wrapper due to having to work nonstop Sunday and Monday : ( )

This was such a fun contest for us because as I explained, we actually live in this house and hope to someday remodel it. I love our home and think it has so much potential, so it was wonderful to see everyone’s ideas. Little by little, Dodo and I are going to roll up our sleeves and make changes on our shoestring budget.

This was also a hard contest to judge. I mean, really hard! While we didn’t have an overwhelming amount of entries, the entries that we had were absolutely outstanding. I loved them all as I saw all your ideas come to life. As it always seems to be, it was so hard picking the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. We ended up adding a second third place because there was a tie. There were things we absolutely loved about every single entry. You all did a job well done!!!! Because of this, all runners up will receive 100 simpoints and everyone who participated in this contest is eligible for an Origin code for a free download of the Showtime Expansion Pack. You only need to let me know that you don't have the expansion pack and if there is more than one person, I will do a lottery for it!

So, without further ado.......

Aunza:
    Your “notanentry” is awesome! We love all the wonderful plants in the front - the place looks so cheery! And by extending the house, you offer so much room! We love how the dining room has such a great view and is so open and welcoming! The interior choices you made were wonderful. The master bedroom looks beautiful, the nursery looks adorable, and the kitchen looks so much more functional! We love how you took into consideration some realistic issues, such as the water issue in the basement. Very thoughtful! And adding in a space where the water heater was and providing storage room there! And there’s so much room to hang out in the basement. We also love the items you left behind for DodoBird in the backyard! And you know how we love that cowplant!!! Thank you so much for your many wonderful ideas!

Bloodviolet: You did a great job! We loved how much gardening area there was for this lot - there are beautiful flowers throughout this lot and the front yard looks wonderful! Who wouldn’t want to live next to this fragrant beauty! The kitchen space is much better and we have a dining room (yay! a place for the table!). Plus, those cats would be spoiled with their own room down in the basement!

SoupahReo: Wow! What a great job you did on everything! We love the color schemes - you took into account Jurik and Dodo’s favorite colors and really matched them together in a natural way. The designs you chose for the wall covering and other fabrics went together so well! You also chose a great layout to the basement - in fact, we changed our ideas on the basement layout because of this entry - it just flows so nicely together. We love the little kitchenette/bar for hanging out and there is room to set up a table if we want company. We absolutely love the covered patio! What a wonderful place to entertain guests and just enjoy the backyard ourselves. And your landscaping and little garden are excellent. It just feels so cozy - how could we not want to live here!?! Great job!

Fran0731: Walking up to the lot, your front looks so sophisticated. I’m sure the neighbors will love it! I also thought that the front porch stone was a nice touch.
    There is plenty of room for the kitchen/dining. Dodo loves the pool table in the basement (even though Jurik is clearly the better player) and perhaps someday they will use that exercise equipment. We love how you incorporated Jurik’s love for wine! Dodo really enjoys the garden shed where he can pot all his starter plants.

Snowdove58: We love how you set the door apart with that bright green color. And the garden in back is super cute! (I always try finding that scarecrow and every time I can’t find it, I think it was a sims 2 object...). The living room looks so nice and cozy and the basement has plenty of room for all sorts of activities - I can see how it would be a favorite room. And wow - those kitties are really spoiled with the kitty room you gave them!

Msrednotdead: We loved the whimsy you added to the house. And the carpeting in the basement is very pretty. It was a great touch to add a small room that the litter box was out of the way. The kitchen looks nice and spacious and there is plenty of room in the dining room for entertaining guests!

Faith_Andhope: Great job! We loved the layout of the basement and have even thought about that hallway by the bathroom to the laundry. We love how there is a general seating area downstairs for conversation, but also areas to play as well. The guest room downstairs is nice and spacious and because it is on the other side of the house as the other bedrooms, it gives a little more privacy and would be more quiet (right now, we have a spare bed there because of that reason). The hewnsmen furniture theme in the living room looks great and there is a truly gourmet kitchen to cook in with great views of the backyard! The dining room has ample seating and there is plenty of space in the backyard for hanging out, entertaining, and gardening! And wow - Jurik will have a place to fish so she doesn’t have to go down to the lake!

Aml1855: In your first entry, the front porch looks great with that stonework. And we love all the plants and bushes! And all that seating in the living room is sure to be plenty when the guests arrive! The kitchen looks fabulous with a very modern flair and we love the stone flooring! And we love how you incorporated all you did in the basement and still had room left for storage! Jurik is sure to love the wine cellar and we love how you thought to use recycled wine barrels. In your second entry, you did a great job with the modern flair. We especially loved the the movie room! Dodo is really loving the lap pool in the basement.

Chelley: We love the aspen trees lining the fence in the backyard. And the good part is, they stay relatively thin, so they wouldn’t crowd out. The basement is nice and large and perfect for relaxing and hanging out. And what a great movie room! Jurik and Dodo love watching movies, so this will come in handy!

Dash3001: The front looks very nice and sophisticated with a nice big entryway. The faux columns were a nice touch! The dining room is great and adds much needed room to the kitchen. We also love that the flooring was re-done in the garage. It looks amazing! And the decor is great! The basement looks great and we love that you incorporated Jurik and Dodo’s favorite hobbies. And there’s even room left over for just hanging out! Your decor in the large guest room looks great! The living room is super sophisticated looking, yet cozy and comfortable. You really put a lot of thought and consideration into your decor and it paid off immensely!

Mimine17: Your exterior looks great! I love that you kept the blue door (which I fell in love with the moment I walked through and refuse to put a screen door on it because it covers it up). Dodo first noticed the greenhouse and said “oh, I love that!” The first thing Jurik noticed was all the lovely plants in the backyard. These gardeners are happy! The garage looks wonderful since it has been renovated. And its weird, because Jurik really does drive a bright green car! (Dodo’s is blue). A great idea for the bikes - Jurik and Dodo love bike rides. Going up to the first floor, it is easy to see why Jurik is so happy testing her soup - there’s so much room here! And of course, how can Dodo overlook that lovely pool table in the basement!

Ciane: I love the exterior color (Dodo is color blind, so he has to believe me...). And the front porch is wonderful with the windchimes! Going out to the back porch was of course the first place we wanted to go - look how wonderful it is! A great place for entertaining and the thought into what the HOA would allow is fantastic! The plants are all wonderful as well! Jurik looks super happy in the hot tub and we both love the way you incorporated a hot tub into the design. The garden is quaint with just the amount of plants that we would need and Jurik loves the butterflies! And, you went to the effort to have perfect plants growing in it!!! I can see why Dodo is so happy gardening out here and there are plenty of grapes to keep Jurik’s nectar making hobby going! We loved the joke about the kiddie pool, and you’re right, the HOA would never allow a pool for us, so this lot is very realistic in line with the constraints we have. ANd we love the sunflowers - in fact, they grow wild here, so we are training them to grow in spots that we would like to be less high-maintenance. The garage is awesome as well - it is nice and clean as you redid the floor and the walls and provided some storage space. And how did you know that Jurik and Dodo would prize efficiency in a car!?! We also love the modern look of the kitchen! We also love that you kept the plants up high out of the paws reach of our little ones! And custom paintings!?!? WoW! And Dodo is already planning those practice sessions with the awesome pool table you gave us! And who wouldn’t want to hang out in that rec room! All in all, we are amazed by the work and attention that you put into this build. We can tell that you worked hard to make it just perfect for Jurik and DodoBird and their lifestyles. Amazing job!

And now, the prizes!

1st Place - 2000 (sponsored by Round).....ciane
    2nd Place - 1200 (sponsored by Round)..... SoupahReo
    3rd Place - 1000 (sponsored by Jurik1124).... Mimine17
    3th Place - 1000 (sponsored by blacksheba)..... dash3001

Random Drawing for 200 points ......... msrednotdead (sponsored by itguyinsc)

All other runners up will receive 100 points worth of prizes because all entries were truly amazing (sponsored by Jurik1124)

Make sure to post what you want or let the sponsors know that they can select anything from your wishlist!

Thanks again for all the wonderful entries!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    changing the title to show that the winners have been posted! :D
  • Options
    roundheadedroundheaded Posts: 873 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Jurik1124 wrote:
    Oh, ciane! That turned out awesome! It looks amazing!

I second that! It really looks great :D Such lovely home! Thanks for sharing the pics :D
  • Options
    roundheadedroundheaded Posts: 873 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Jurik1124 wrote:
    changing the title to show that the winners have been posted! :D

All the entries are amazing (including the NotAnEntry) and so are the reviews by our dear host, love reading them Jurik. Look forward sending out the prizes 8)

A big congratulations to the winners! :D
    Well done all :D