Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Simulation Renovation Contest - WINNERS POSTED!!!!!!

Jurik1124Jurik1124 Posts: 4,627 New Member
The Simulation Renovations Contest!

Introduction:
All right, simmers! Its the premier of a brand new renovation television show, Simulation Renovations! Time to roll up your sleeves and get to work!

Mark and Ginger are the hosts of the new up-and-coming television show and want to give Jurik and DodoBird Sims the home of their dreams!

That’s right, DodoBird and Jurik Sims are the winners of the “Renovate Yo Space” contest. This young couple in their 20s are just starting out in their first house and need to make some changes to settle down and make it the home of their dreams.

Watch the premier of Simulation Renovations to see just what they would like!

Simulation Renovation Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i9s2pLc4ag&feature=plcp

Instructions:
1.) Download the renovation lot at: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6091029
It should be base game, but the lot says it requires certain expansion packs even though it doesn't use any to my knowledge.....
2.) Find clues as to what the home owners would like by watching the show trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i9s2pLc4ag&feature=plcp
3.) Renovate following the guidelines (below) and the hints in the show trailer.
4.) Take pictures and fill out the entry form to post your entry. You can enter two times.
5.) Upload your lot to the exchange if you like. (not required)

Directions for Uploading Images Using TINYPIC
1. Once you get to the website, you will see a button that says “Choose File” Click on this button
2. Go to where you have saved the new picture (this is where that folder comes in handy...) and click that particular picture to upload. Once you do that, it will say the name of the file by the “choose file” button.
3. Go to where it says “Resize” and click the pull down tab. You will want to choose “Message Board” Your image must be this size so as not to break the thread.
4. Click the green “Upload Now!” button.
5. You will get a box that has weird words in it to ensure that you are not spamming. Type out the letters as closely to the example as you can and click “Upload Now!” If it gives you an error, that means you weren’t close enough and you have to start over.
6. The next screen that you will see says “Share This Image” in orange followed by four different codes. You will want to copy and paste the code that is listed under “IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards” which is the second one down.
7. Paste that code into your entry post. You will have to repeat this process for the other two images in your entry. Make sure that your post contains ALL 3 completed pictures in one post.

Traits of DodoBird Sims:
Loves the Outdoors
Family-Oriented
Green Thumb
Easily Impressed
Charismatic

Favorite Music: Indie
Favorite Food: Waffles
Favorite Color: Blue
LTW: Perfect Garden

Traits of Jurik Sims:
Loves the Outdoors
Animal Lover
Nurturing
Charismatic
Angler

Favorite Music: Rockabilly
Favorite Food: Steak
Favorite Colors: Black and Green
**Jurik's LTW is driving me crazy, so the moment I get a chance, I am going to change it......

**You can download the Sims household (complete with cats) at: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6123279

Guidelines:
1.) Unlimited budget. That’s right, the executives at the top don’t care how much you spend!
2.) No CC allowed. We don’t know where you bought it.
3.) All EP, SP, store, T-mobile, and Dr. Pepper items are allowed.
4.) Jurik and DodoBird love the architecture of the house and the HOA is pretty strict, so you may not make any major changes to the external structure of the house.
5.) All the existing walls are load bearing walls. You may not remove them or the house will fall down. You may, however, add more walls, or doorways, or windows.
6.) You may repurpose rooms except for the following: kitchen, laundry, and both bathrooms (the plumbing is already set and cannot be changed)
7.) Feel free to change the exterior paint to the house. Make sure to change the crazy interior paints that DodoBird and Jurik laugh about all the time.
8.) Cheats including moveobjects are allowed.
9.) Please have two rooms that are used as permanent bedrooms (master and another bedroom) and then at least one place for guests to sleep (you can be creative with this by putting a “pull out couch” somewhere where a guest would be comfortable). Jurik and DodoBird love house guests!
10.) Your build must have room for DodoBird and Jurik’s pets. They have one turtle, one lizard, and two cats. If you do not have the Pets Expansion Pack, don’t worry - just label the areas where you would have it put. : )
11.) Your biggest ally is the show trailer, so be sure to pay attention. Jurik and DodoBird give you a tour and tell you what’s on their wish list for their home. I have also provided the traits of Jurik and DodoBird. Keep in mind that you can take the hints Jurik and DodoBird give you and be creative with them. Don’t think of the hints as checkboxes, but hints as to what kinds of people they are and what they like.

Entry Form:
Simmer Name:
Lot Name:
Download Link (if uploaded to exchange)

Introduction of Lot:
(why do you think your entry meets the needs of the home owners)

Pictures:
•post as many pictures as you like - remember, you are judged on presentation
• must have at least one of each of the following pictures
• please provide a top-down view of each of the floors

Deadline: Friday, August 31st at 12:00 midnight CST

Other information:
• Each simmer is allowed to submit two (2) entries for judging.
• If a simmer wins and does not want to use the points on themselves, they are free to gift all or some of there winnings to one or more simmers

Helpful Links:
Simulation Renovations Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i9s2pLc4ag&feature=plcp

Simulation Renovation Lot Download Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6091029

Jurik an DodoBird Sims Download Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6123279

Creative Corner Tutorials: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/279453.page (lots of helpful building tips, advice, tutorials)

How Entries are Scored:
1.) Each entry will be scored on a scale of 1-10 for each of the following rooms for a total of 90 points (living room, kitchen, patio, backyard, the 3 upstairs rooms, garage, basement)
2.) Landscaping for both front yard and back yard will be scored on a scale of 1-10 each for a total of 20 points
3.) Presentation of entry will be judged on a scale of 1-20.
4.) Any of the above guidelines that are broken (see above Guidelines section) will result in -10 points for each broken guideline
* Judging will be completed by Jurik and DodoBird sims.

Prizes:
First Place - 1000 simpoints
Second Place - 500 simpoints
Third Place - 300 simpoints
*These are the minimum amounts - prizes will never go down, but may go up in the event that there are sponsors

Sponsors
Jurik1124 - 1800
blacksheba - 1000
Roundheaded - 3200
itguyinsc - 200

* Please visit the studios of our sponsors to leave some recs as a thank you for their generosity. Blacksheba's studio can be found at http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=blacksheba1973 and Round's studio can be found at: http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=roundheaded

Comments

• Jurik1124Jurik1124 Posts: 4,627 New Member
    edited September 2012
    WINNERS CORNER!!!!!!

First off, I would like to apologize again for the time it took to get the judging done in this contest. We had some things come up this weekend that pushed all my work back and I have been working like crazy. (FINALLY got Supernatural yesterday and it is still sitting in its wrapper due to having to work nonstop Sunday and Monday : ( )

This was such a fun contest for us because as I explained, we actually live in this house and hope to someday remodel it. I love our home and think it has so much potential, so it was wonderful to see everyone’s ideas. Little by little, Dodo and I are going to roll up our sleeves and make changes on our shoestring budget.

This was also a hard contest to judge. I mean, really hard! While we didn’t have an overwhelming amount of entries, the entries that we had were absolutely outstanding. I loved them all as I saw all your ideas come to life. As it always seems to be, it was so hard picking the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. We ended up adding a second third place because there was a tie. There were things we absolutely loved about every single entry. You all did a job well done!!!! Because of this, all runners up will receive 100 simpoints and everyone who participated in this contest is eligible for an Origin code for a free download of the Showtime Expansion Pack. You only need to let me know that you don't have the expansion pack and if there is more than one person, I will do a lottery for it!

So, without further ado.......

Aunza:
    Your “notanentry” is awesome! We love all the wonderful plants in the front - the place looks so cheery! And by extending the house, you offer so much room! We love how the dining room has such a great view and is so open and welcoming! The interior choices you made were wonderful. The master bedroom looks beautiful, the nursery looks adorable, and the kitchen looks so much more functional! We love how you took into consideration some realistic issues, such as the water issue in the basement. Very thoughtful! And adding in a space where the water heater was and providing storage room there! And there’s so much room to hang out in the basement. We also love the items you left behind for DodoBird in the backyard! And you know how we love that cowplant!!! Thank you so much for your many wonderful ideas!

Bloodviolet: You did a great job! We loved how much gardening area there was for this lot - there are beautiful flowers throughout this lot and the front yard looks wonderful! Who wouldn’t want to live next to this fragrant beauty! The kitchen space is much better and we have a dining room (yay! a place for the table!). Plus, those cats would be spoiled with their own room down in the basement!

SoupahReo: Wow! What a great job you did on everything! We love the color schemes - you took into account Jurik and Dodo’s favorite colors and really matched them together in a natural way. The designs you chose for the wall covering and other fabrics went together so well! You also chose a great layout to the basement - in fact, we changed our ideas on the basement layout because of this entry - it just flows so nicely together. We love the little kitchenette/bar for hanging out and there is room to set up a table if we want company. We absolutely love the covered patio! What a wonderful place to entertain guests and just enjoy the backyard ourselves. And your landscaping and little garden are excellent. It just feels so cozy - how could we not want to live here!?! Great job!

Fran0731: Walking up to the lot, your front looks so sophisticated. I’m sure the neighbors will love it! I also thought that the front porch stone was a nice touch.
    There is plenty of room for the kitchen/dining. Dodo loves the pool table in the basement (even though Jurik is clearly the better player) and perhaps someday they will use that exercise equipment. We love how you incorporated Jurik’s love for wine! Dodo really enjoys the garden shed where he can pot all his starter plants.

Snowdove58: We love how you set the door apart with that bright green color. And the garden in back is super cute! (I always try finding that scarecrow and every time I can’t find it, I think it was a sims 2 object...). The living room looks so nice and cozy and the basement has plenty of room for all sorts of activities - I can see how it would be a favorite room. And wow - those kitties are really spoiled with the kitty room you gave them!

Msrednotdead: We loved the whimsy you added to the house. And the carpeting in the basement is very pretty. It was a great touch to add a small room that the litter box was out of the way. The kitchen looks nice and spacious and there is plenty of room in the dining room for entertaining guests!

Faith_Andhope: Great job! We loved the layout of the basement and have even thought about that hallway by the bathroom to the laundry. We love how there is a general seating area downstairs for conversation, but also areas to play as well. The guest room downstairs is nice and spacious and because it is on the other side of the house as the other bedrooms, it gives a little more privacy and would be more quiet (right now, we have a spare bed there because of that reason). The hewnsmen furniture theme in the living room looks great and there is a truly gourmet kitchen to cook in with great views of the backyard! The dining room has ample seating and there is plenty of space in the backyard for hanging out, entertaining, and gardening! And wow - Jurik will have a place to fish so she doesn’t have to go down to the lake!

Aml1855: In your first entry, the front porch looks great with that stonework. And we love all the plants and bushes! And all that seating in the living room is sure to be plenty when the guests arrive! The kitchen looks fabulous with a very modern flair and we love the stone flooring! And we love how you incorporated all you did in the basement and still had room left for storage! Jurik is sure to love the wine cellar and we love how you thought to use recycled wine barrels. In your second entry, you did a great job with the modern flair. We especially loved the the movie room! Dodo is really loving the lap pool in the basement.

Chelley: We love the aspen trees lining the fence in the backyard. And the good part is, they stay relatively thin, so they wouldn’t crowd out. The basement is nice and large and perfect for relaxing and hanging out. And what a great movie room! Jurik and Dodo love watching movies, so this will come in handy!

Dash3001: The front looks very nice and sophisticated with a nice big entryway. The faux columns were a nice touch! The dining room is great and adds much needed room to the kitchen. We also love that the flooring was re-done in the garage. It looks amazing! And the decor is great! The basement looks great and we love that you incorporated Jurik and Dodo’s favorite hobbies. And there’s even room left over for just hanging out! Your decor in the large guest room looks great! The living room is super sophisticated looking, yet cozy and comfortable. You really put a lot of thought and consideration into your decor and it paid off immensely!

Mimine17: Your exterior looks great! I love that you kept the blue door (which I fell in love with the moment I walked through and refuse to put a screen door on it because it covers it up). Dodo first noticed the greenhouse and said “oh, I love that!” The first thing Jurik noticed was all the lovely plants in the backyard. These gardeners are happy! The garage looks wonderful since it has been renovated. And its weird, because Jurik really does drive a bright green car! (Dodo’s is blue). A great idea for the bikes - Jurik and Dodo love bike rides. Going up to the first floor, it is easy to see why Jurik is so happy testing her soup - there’s so much room here! And of course, how can Dodo overlook that lovely pool table in the basement!

Ciane: I love the exterior color (Dodo is color blind, so he has to believe me...). And the front porch is wonderful with the windchimes! Going out to the back porch was of course the first place we wanted to go - look how wonderful it is! A great place for entertaining and the thought into what the HOA would allow is fantastic! The plants are all wonderful as well! Jurik looks super happy in the hot tub and we both love the way you incorporated a hot tub into the design. The garden is quaint with just the amount of plants that we would need and Jurik loves the butterflies! And, you went to the effort to have perfect plants growing in it!!! I can see why Dodo is so happy gardening out here and there are plenty of grapes to keep Jurik’s nectar making hobby going! We loved the joke about the kiddie pool, and you’re right, the HOA would never allow a pool for us, so this lot is very realistic in line with the constraints we have. ANd we love the sunflowers - in fact, they grow wild here, so we are training them to grow in spots that we would like to be less high-maintenance. The garage is awesome as well - it is nice and clean as you redid the floor and the walls and provided some storage space. And how did you know that Jurik and Dodo would prize efficiency in a car!?! We also love the modern look of the kitchen! We also love that you kept the plants up high out of the paws reach of our little ones! And custom paintings!?!? WoW! And Dodo is already planning those practice sessions with the awesome pool table you gave us! And who wouldn’t want to hang out in that rec room! All in all, we are amazed by the work and attention that you put into this build. We can tell that you worked hard to make it just perfect for Jurik and DodoBird and their lifestyles. Amazing job!

And now, the prizes!

1st Place - 2000 (sponsored by Round).....ciane.......... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    2nd Place - 1200 (sponsored by Round)..... SoupahReo.......... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    3rd Place - 1000 (sponsored by Jurik1124).... Mimine17......... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    3th Place - 1000 (sponsored by blacksheba)..... dash3001........ GIFTED :mrgreen:

Random Drawing for 200 points ......... msrednotdead (sponsored by itguyinsc)

All other runners up will receive 100 points worth of prizes because all entries were truly amazing (sponsored by Jurik1124)

bloodviolet........... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    Fran0731
    Snowdove58......... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    Msrednotdead....... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    Faith_Andhope....... GIFTED :mrgreen:
    Aml1855.............. GIFTED :mrgreen:
    Chelley

Make sure to post what you want or let the sponsors know that they can select anything from your wishlist!

Thanks again for all the wonderful entries!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited July 2012
    Looks like fun! I am off to watch the youtube guide to the housing of Dodobird and Jurik Sims.
    edited July 2012
    Aunza wrote:
    Looks like fun! I am off to watch the youtube guide to the housing of Dodobird and Jurik Sims.

Thanks! I hope you like it - my first ever Youtube video.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited July 2012
    This is a very creative contest! I like it!!! :thumbup:
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • davidluyendykdavidluyendyk Posts: 44
    edited July 2012
    Absolutely love the video!!! Great job and thank you for hosting. I'll start working up a plan shortly.

Edit : Real life yelled so I'm going to have to drop out, very sorry andbest of luck to everyone that enters.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited July 2012
    The fence on the outside, can it be changed and moved?
  • roundheadedroundheaded Posts: 873 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Cute vid! :mrgreen: Poor Jurik, she doesn't look too happy, hopefully some kind talented simmer(s) will help her out soon. To that end, I'm willing to throw in my remaining points into the prize pot :D

Good luck to all participants!
  • klb685klb685 Posts: 3,388 Member
    edited July 2012
    I love it! No time to watch the video just yet but I read over your rules and found this one hilarious:

"5.) All the existing walls are load bearing walls. You may not remove them or the house will fall down."

That must be one heavy roof for all of the walls to be load bearing. :lol:
    edited July 2012
    Yay! I have some interest!

I hope you join Ceres_meiriona!

I'm excited to see what you come up with davidluyendyk! Glad you liked the video!

@msred - I never put anything in the rules, so it is completely up to you. I checked with Jurik and DodoBird's HOA and they said that you at least have to have that type of fence and a fenced in backyard but the rules do not state where the fence goes, if that makes sense. :wink:

round - Glad you like the video. Yes, it seemed that Jurik was kind of grumpy for the photo shoot. LOL. Thank you for the offer to sponsor! :D

klb - Yes, I was trying to figure out a way where I could phrase it so that none of the walls could be moved. :lol:
  • MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited July 2012
    Ok anohter stupid question, where was the lot built so I can place it as near as possible to make it lie properly
    edited July 2012
    Ok anohter stupid question, where was the lot built so I can place it as near as possible to make it lie properly

I actually built it in a world a friend made and I have been building in. I noticed that the back of the lot is a little strange, so it may not lie down right. If you need, you can put it on a flattened lot a little bigger as long as you don't change the footprint of the lot size if that makes any sense.

Now that I think about it, I should have taken that issue into consideration. :oops: Let me know if there are problems with it - I can always upload another one.
  • Mimine17Mimine17 Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited July 2012
    Love the concept. I hope that I'll have time for it. It seems the deadline is enough far away :)
    edited July 2012
    Mimine17 wrote:
    Love the concept. I hope that I'll have time for it. It seems the deadline is enough far away :)

I tried to do that so people would have plenty of time. :D I hope you join!
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi sweetie. I'd like to sponsor 1000sp. Good luck with the contest. It sounds very creative. :D **Hugs**
    YShQCz1.png
  • bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited July 2012
    :D Hi, I kinda wanted to enter this but I can't find a 50 x 25 lot to place it in? What world has a lot this size?

:oops: Realized that might have sounded wierd. I did read the posts above me about this subject what I meant to ask is has anyone found a lot this size in one of the EA worlds? At the moment I'm not seeing anywhere to place it without getting the AddAnyLotSize game mod. :D
  • smashbridges20smashbridges20 Posts: 7,397 Member
    edited July 2012
    I may try this as I am in love with the rules and think it would be SO MUCH FUN! Time and memory permitting, I hope to enter. I make no promises, but I'd like to try this, just for the fun of it all.
    edited July 2012
    Hi BloodViolet, Have you checked the in game World Editor? I believe you will find a lot in there that is just the right size. :)
    ~happy simming~

@Jurik, your first youtube?! great job!
  • bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited July 2012
    Aunza wrote:
    Hi BloodViolet, Have you checked the in game World Editor? I believe you will find a lot in there that is just the right size. :)
    ~happy simming~

@Jurik, your first youtube?! great job!

:oops: Uggg! You're right, I swear when I looked before I thought it said 60x25, I think I need my glasses checked I have to really squint to read that stuff. :? :roll:
    edited July 2012
    I do that too BloodViolet... Although, my downfall is memory, mine seems to have sprung a few leaks. :)

Hope you enjoy the contest. I am looking forward to seeing the entries and reading the introductions.

Best wishes :)
  • Gatorade3Gatorade3 Posts: 4,093 Member
    edited July 2012
    Joining! let me favorite this and get cracking on plans for the house :)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited July 2012
    Absolutely love it Jurik! The write-up is great and I love the film strip aspect to the video.

At first I thought, "No way can I find the time. I have to finish Blythe's house and another by the end of the month, which is just two weeks away." Then, I saw that we actually have SIX weeks as it's not due until the end of August.

I'm sure you will get lots of interest. What fun to have such a great family to play as well.
    edited July 2012
    Oh my goodness! I am getting lots of interest and sponsors! Thank you so much Sharon and Round (who stopped by my page). I now have over 4,000 more points to add to the total thanks to these two lovely ladies! :shock: Thank you both a million times over! I will be updating the prize pool soon - just need to know if either of these ladies would like to add additional prizes (adding onto the three prize places) or to increase the prize pool of each place, or add additional prizes (like what I did with the Kat Sprat challenge). I always like to elicit the advice of sponsors, so let me know! :D

Hi bloodviolet - Thanks for your interest. As Aunza pointed out (thanks for helping out hun), you can find the lot in World Editor. I just plopped it down in an empty space. :D Let me know if you have any trouble with that.

Smash - Nice to see you hun. I hope you join, but I completely understand that somethings things get in the way of contests - It has been hard for me to be able to enter them lately. Its nice to see you around either way! :D

Aunza - I'm glad you like the youtube video. My bf helped me with it - we worked on it all day on Saturday, so I'm glad people think it turned out well. :D And about your memory problem - I have one very similar. LOL.

Gatorade3 - Welcome! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ciane - Good to see you! I'm glad you like the contest set-up. I wanted to do something a little different, so I thought, "let's go t.v. style" Hopefully I pulled it off. I wanted to give tons of time so as not to rush people and to generate interest. :D I'm glad you like the family too - although you will see in the YouTube comments that DodoBird is unhappy with his hair length... LOL.
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited July 2012
    Whatever you think is best hon. :D
    YShQCz1.png
    edited July 2012
    Whatever you think is best hon. :D

Thanks Sharon! I will let Round weigh in and then adjust the prizes accordingly. :mrgreen: