May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

1293031323335...Next

Comments

• Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 443 Member
    edited April 14
    I agree with those wishing the Legacy Threads category had sub-folders. As it is, I'm afraid that in nominating our favorite threads to live on in the next forum, we've condemned them to an early death by burial on page 5+ of that category. I think individual users' creation showcases and stories should be kept in a separate folder, at least. Nothing against those threads or the people who enjoy making and following them, but it seems wrong that the most frequently-updated personal "vanity" threads should get to gobble up all the prime front-page real estate at the expense of actual open-participation discussions.
    Post edited by Flikka_Flikka on
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 443 Member
    edited April 15
    I know some of Nominated Threads have been rebooted over at AHQ, but it's not the same. The general discussion threads over there tend to be barely readable due to certain users' posting habits, IMO, and I'm not aware there's any way to hide content by user.
    Post edited by Flikka_Flikka on
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,406 EA Community Manager
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    @EA_Cade , after these forums are closed, what will happen to the threads and direct messages? Will they be automatically deleted forever?

I’m especially curious about the direct messages which I and others have used extensively for one-to-one as well as group chats.

Would / could there be an opportunity for us to delete both the public and private direct message threads ourselves prior to closure?

Everything related to this site other than the nominated threads that move to the new EA Forums will be erased when the site goes down.

I'm not aware of any plans to allow users to export/delete DMs before that time.
    February11 wrote: »
    Will the link to the new forum be posted here before shut down, or on AHQ?

I'll share the link to the new EA Forums here as soon as we have one to share.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    Tag365Tag365 Posts: 7 New Member
    Very disappointing. Old content won't transfer over unless requested. Also I only found out about this announcement today, so I can't take the steps to associate the account with EA Answers HQ to make my content associated with the right account. The deadline was in March.
  • Options
    Tag365Tag365 Posts: 7 New Member
    Is Answers HQ going to be renamed EA forums?
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,406 EA Community Manager
    Tag365 wrote: »
    Is Answers HQ going to be renamed EA forums?

This transition is independent of Answers HQ.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    It could be that the Web Archive has saved a lot of the pages from the forum. Years ago I got information about Sims 2 sites and creator links from earlier forums from it. Not sure what it saves nowadays.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,822 Member
    I am trying to look at it as being like moving from Sims2 forums to Sims 3 forums and then to these forums. We'll just have to see how different it is. EA seems to have taken measures to help us all make this move. We still have access to the Nominated Threads. I think we'll be okay.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,434 Member
    @GalacticGal - I hope so. I wasn't here for the last move from the old forums to this one. (I only joined the forums here in 2017) so all this moving is new to me. Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @GalacticGal - I hope so. I wasn't here for the last move from the old forums to this one. (I only joined the forums here in 2017) so all this moving is new to me. Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly.

I think most of us have grown rather settled into this forum. I have to say after the initial announcement I had some emotions that surprised me. But once the shock wore off, I'm now able to just go with the flow. I was able to retrieve copies of my Cantrell stories, that I share. I had a terrible moment when my faithful laptop up and died, taking all of them with it. Only some were retrieved. But I am also making hard copies of them lest another device of mine decides to take a dive. I also realized very early this morning, that since no updates to What Happened In Your Game Today? after a certain date, which was last month, will follow, meaning we'll have to repost them later, gives me a rare chance to switch out a picture with a little less sense of urgency, if you will. I think we're all going to be fine.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Very disappointing. Old content won't transfer over unless requested. Also I only found out about this announcement today, so I can't take the steps to associate the account with EA Answers HQ to make my content associated with the right account. The deadline was in March.

I was on the road and literally unable to even check my emails so I hear you.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    I had to accept new terms and conditions this morning when signing in so it looks as if they're ready for the transition.
    I'll say goodbye as I've enjoyed my time on here all these years but I'll not be moving too. I don't play much these days.
    Thank you all. <3
  • Options
    WhubbleWhubble Posts: 67 Member
    Oh no. What will become of the Take the Last Screen Shot and What Did you Sims Do Today threads? I'm sad :(
    The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
    My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,679 Member
    Those threads have been nominated to be moved over to the new forums, so they will be there @Whubble . They are currently in the nominated threads section of this current old forums.
  • Options
    WhubbleWhubble Posts: 67 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Those threads have been nominated to be moved over to the new forums, so they will be there @Whubble . They are currently in the nominated threads section of this current old forums.

Thank you Rosemow. That is good to know.
    The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
    My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,481 Member
    Will we be able to link stuff from X on the new forums like we use to be able to do?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,128 Member
    Will we be able to link stuff from X on the new forums like we use to be able to do?

@catloverplayer yes. EA_Cade commented on that on the first page of this thread. 🙂
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,476 Member
    I'm assuming once we have a specific date in July for the simultaneous close of this forum and the opening of the new one, we will find out here?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Will the new forum have ranks like answer HQ or just a new member and a member status like we have on this forum? I prefer the way it is done here. Once we reach the member status we are all equal. I'd like to know what to expect.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,951 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya @EgonVM

Apologies, I did in fact miss this.

I'll bring these up to the forum host and get back to you as soon as I get more info.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I fear that my questions might have been missed...

So I'll ask these again.
    Ah, now that I have used Answers HQ, I have a new question.

Can we use the quote formatting without having to quote someone?

So instead of this in the beginning of the post:
    That's really sad to see forums go down. Really enjoyed my time here.

How about The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Franchise, and The Sims 3 sections? Where exactly could we find these?

And, what exactly is the link to the new forums?

We can also do this:
    In-game text
    Additional info separated to make it easier to read
    Some list item I guess...

Lack of it in Answers HQ is really strange sometimes. I have to get creative on what I use for it to separate it from the main text...
    Another random question.

So, any URL linking to this forums will link to the new one once this closes down, right?

If so, will a link to a thread link to the same thread in the new forums?

So, for example, I have this link (For Rent Residential Rental Preparation Thread).

Once this forums closes down, will it lead to For Rent Residential Rental Preparation Thread on the new forums or will it link to the main page?
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Welp, today I discovered that these forums have a character limit. Yup, I got this message.
    Body is 129474 characters too long.

Oh boy... So that's the end of this saga. A disappointing one at that...

Well, maybe I'd try splitting it up into separate posts or something...

What will be the character limit on the new forums?

Did you try and post War and Peace??!

I'll look into the post limit.

Apologies for prying, but...

Has the answer for these questions been discovered?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,065 Member
    edited May 19
    Still wondering about profile pictures

I hope those function more like profile pictures on this forum than AHQ because

1. I want everyone to be able to choose their own pictures its much easier to tell apart people when everyone has unique profile picture

2. I don't like round cut out it makes it harder to fit everything I want in my profile picture

I also don't like to always have centered profile picture and i feel round cutout looks odd when picture is not centered

3. AHQ profile pictures look pixelated in threads because of resize I wish thats not the case on new forums

I also like profile picture size on this forum better because you can include some details and it won't be lost in pixels

I've been kind of stuck being mysterious rancher lately cause I don't want to take billion new profile pictures and then realize it looks strange on new forum
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,124 Member
    Has an official date for the forums closure been announced yet? I have a few updates to share for the what happened in your sims 4 game today thread and i'm holding out for now so i know what one to save as my final update on these forums.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,128 Member
    The date has not been announced.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,279 Member

Pictures were all hosted on external sites anyway. There's a few of us who went through this with the change from Sims 2 to Sims 3, and the closure of the old BBS and Exchange.
    Back when the old BBS was around, they used to say in the guidelines to find a thread that already says what you're looking for/asking about first. Now its a rule not to necropost. That's how it is now, that's how news is now, the saying "24hour cycle", it goes forwards, new generation, innovation, fresh, hip, past is past, all that. Unless it was like masterpiece. Classic. Would have saved it to file back then if so. If not, then its a valuable lesson to do so from now on.

Back to assignments.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.