Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which of your sims suffer the most?

EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
Plotwise or gameplaywise, who tends to suffer more in your game: The sim you don't like? Or the sims you like?

I remember a quote in a "Guide to being a superhero" or something along those lines, it went: "If you get abducted, de-powered, mind-controlled or killed, don't worry. It's a sign the audience likes you. Popular heroes suffer. Unpopular heroes get their comic canceled."

This is spot on for me, I tend to make my favorites suffer for drama. And woe to the poor supporting character, who has weathered out all drama and had a good time so far, if she might fall in love with the main character. From now on she wears a big target on her back, too.

(This poll is anonymous.)

Which of your sims suffer the most? 79 votes

My sims (mostly) don't suffer!
50% 40 votes
All my sims suffer equally!
16% 13 votes
My favorites suffer more than other sims.
18% 15 votes
My favorites suffer less than other sims.
13% 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Wow, that's a great question, one I never really thought about until now. I think it's either Florida Man or Buzz Hivekeeper. Buzz' sole job is to rile up the bee boxes in any establishment I build, and he gets stung a lot
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 1
    All my sims suffer somehow but to rank their suffering seems kind of hard like are we talking physical or emotional damage and does the duration of suffering make difference

overall I think its good luck to die fast in my save (I mean how much suffering can one fit in such short time) but also imagine being eaten by cowplant for a second... yeah. uh. I don't know.

I also kind of enjoy empowering dislikeable characters like Vlad so they probably get less suffering on regular but then again I do like epic death so if Vlad was to die...

eh idk let's just say there is some cosmic balance to it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    edited March 1
    I'm just a sentimental softy and I can't bear to see anything bad happen to any of my favorites. Some mild misfortune and disappointments but actual suffering, no way. Now should a baddie ever appear that wishes to cause them harm, well that benevolence won't extend to the baddie.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Simmingal wrote: »
    All my sims suffer somehow but to rank their suffering seems kind of hard like are we talking physical or emotional damage and does the duration of suffering make difference

Good point! I think a good counter would be how often I, as the player notice the suffering, either as "Aw, poor Jacques" or "Hehe, Jacques will so not like this". That would make two instances of consciously noted suffering, regardless of quality. (That sounded soooo bad :s )

There's also the difference between actual ingame suffering and story-only suffering. Much of what I put my sims through is not real ingame.
    Like when using poses to stage a brawl or putting them into prison with real uncomfortable looking beds that actually have a good energy value (after all, they need to be available quickly again for that sweet, sweet prison work income. Good beds = Less sleep = More woodworking).

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    My favorites definitely suffer most. I'm a monster

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I'm not sure how I would answer this. I don't intentionally make my sims suffer but I do allow my game (with the help of mods) to decide my sims' fate. I don't restart or revert back to a previous save when something unexpected happens. I deal with it. If my sim get abducted by aliens 6 times (which has happened), they raise the kid.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    I'm not sure how I would answer this. I don't intentionally make my sims suffer but I do allow my game (with the help of mods) to decide my sims' fate. I don't restart or revert back to a previous save when something unexpected happens. I deal with it. If my sim get abducted by aliens 6 times (which has happened), they raise the kid.

I'd say that counts as "all sims suffer equality", because even though in practise some will suffer more/less than others, you decided to be impartial in this matter.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited March 2
    Nope, I'm one of those that make existence cushy for my sims...living vicariously and all. :D With that being said, I'm not backing down when some other, not so nice, sim decides they are going to start trouble, Ha! A nice zipzap or chillio spell will clear any confusion up. >:)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Taking Morgyn Ember through Joseph Campbell’s “Heroes Journey” was actually the whole point of my fantasy save. Now, on the other side of it, he doesn’t really have “suffering.” Conflict, yes. Suffering, no. His previous journey and suffering led to the formation of the Myst, so now I’m just basically playing around with the characters that inhabit this world that Morgyn’s journey created.

If I had to pick one character that still suffers, it would be Rowan the Cursed Spellcaster. Being cursed is hard. Living in Forgotten Hollow is hard. He could relocate to The Myst, but there’s that little problem of his crush on Lilith Vatore. Love’s hard.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 174 Member
    I have always been a very gloomy person and for that it has always been my most important and beloved character, who had to suffer the most. Many people find that irritating but it has helped me a lot. So well... my favorite Sim also has a gloomy trait and some other traits as well that make him feel uncomfortable from time to time. But in the game, I tend to prefer trying to make him happy than letting him suffer.
    The Sims is just not exactly the same as my stories.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Most of my sims probably don't suffer much, but there are some that aren't so lucky. For example, Tidy Pancakes (one of my favourites) lived in an abandoned haunted house for quite some time and even though she is a slob it wasn't easy for her to live in the middle of all that flith and spooky things. I had fun, but Tidy? Not so much.
    klILocg.png
    All those tears won't help you, dear Tidy >:)<3
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    My sims pretty much never suffer. I'm a very boring player. :D
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    For me it's the story that takes me somewhere. When Alice suddenly had a crush on a girl in the early 1900s I let that guide my gameplay based on society at the time. When Frank got a fame quirk of "Juice Enthusiast" I played the consequences of him being an alcoholic (and later on bootlegger as prohibition started). I pretty much try to follow my game where it takes me but interpret it so that there is drama. I will have so much fun playing the depression (my sims, less so most likely). :D
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 6
    Hardly ever do sims under my care suffer. Well... they might struggle momentarily as I don't use money cheats. It's usually poor unsuspecting townies or townies/premades that refuse to mind their own business who really suffer.

A few years ago, I was playing Bob Pancakes in TS3 and later added his wife into the mix. Eliza Pancakes was using the telescope when suddenly a meteor hit. I didn't feel like moving her because she's not my favorite premade. The meteor crashed my game.🫠 I didn't like that she escaped death so I had her use it again and again until finally, she became an actual pancake.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited March 6
    I only have a few that have hardship…… but that’s the role in their story….
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I just delete or quickly kill who I hate, I have no taste for prolonged torture.
    99% of the problems my sims encounter are the result of their own bad autonomous life choices, so instead of causing it, I am way more likely to be the one to sort out their mess.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Vampire sims that show up at my Virtuoso's door late at night suffer. For some reason they seem to spontaneously combust... or get turned into a lamp. :D
  • Options
    I just delete or quickly kill who I hate, I have no taste for prolonged torture.

I think the moment I'd feel that I, as the player, were torturing someone, I'd lose my taste for drama, too. Thing is, I can be quite detached. In my perception it's sims causing drama, strife and suffering for other sims, not myself. One moment it's "No, I could never feed a sim to a cowplant", but then the next moment it's "The First Order is going to execute Caroline by feeding her to the motherplant". It's probably because playing the sims is closer to writing a story than playing a regular game.
  • Options
    manicpot8tomanicpot8to Posts: 222 Member
    My Sims choose to suffer all on their own. Like I try my best to give them the best of everything and I feel like they actively do it to upset me. "Don't tell me to have a good time!" <-my sims probably. :s
    28dul88f8gdo.png
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    My Sims don't really suffer.
    I have a bunch in each save, and the only time they would really suffer is if they are based on a character, and that is being forced into the canon pairing of the series.
    Otherwise, they are free to do what they want, and I will sometimes change my gameplay to give them a happy life. For example, I was doing the million simoleon challenge. The Sim I made for it was supposed to be single, and work for most of her money. However, it was winter, and Clement Frost sought her out. They ended up married with two children, and girl and a boy. Which completely changed my plans, but she liked her Clement, and the feeling were mutual, so I let her have him.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Some suffer more than others but I think I usually make the good outweigh the suffering in the long run (if that makes sense lol)

Examples:
    - I had a scientist sim who took in twin alien babies (after the dad didn't want them) with the intentions of studying them and doing experiments (at one point he cloned the twins so he ended up with four). The scientist had a helper (Eugina) who grew to love the kids as her own and eventually rescued them.

- My sims are often in love triangles. There's a lot that are super loyal and faithful sims (who found their true loves) but others who are just the non-committed type. One of my sims was a bit of a player but decided to try and be faithful and marry ... unfortunately that didn't last long as she stepped out and had a kid from the affair. Her husband thought throughout the pregnancy it was his and he was a little shocked when the baby came out green! :D All good though, he's newly engaged to someone better suited and her as well.

This reminds me I have to shake things up a bit more in my current game ;)
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Some of my favorite Sims (and there have been many) have had the most difficult lives. Case in point, right now I am loving a teen runaway (very recently turned 18 and graduated high school actually) who started in a tent in a park, bore up during a snowy winter and then finally got enough money to rent the shabbiest most problem plagued apartment you can imagine. <3
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Usually it's the ugly automatic townies that suffer in my games the most, especially if I can't be bothered to give them a makeover. :D
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    I never thought about that but I guess the ones I don't like that much? I get attached to my favorites and just work on them for a long time. But then again it's The Sims 4, is there really that much bad stuff that happens to them? Compared to The Sims 1 and 2 which was quite challenging back then.