Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,784 Member
    edited December 2023
    After installing For Rent, my laptop wasn’t running as quickly. Since Dell is currently having a great sale, purchased a new laptop to run TS4 with ease as more packs are released.
    I was waiting on this Dell laptop to go on sale. So, I had my eye on it for a while. Here are the specs in case anyone is wondering.

G16 Gaming Laptop
    13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900HX
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
    Memory: 32 GB DDR5
    Storage: 1TB SSD

When initially building a multi-family structure, it is much easier to build with lot type as Residential. When finished, switch it over to Residential Tenant. Even after I switched it over, I would switch it back to Residential if I messed up assigning the unit rooms. I know there is that button to assign all to one unit but that felt cumbersome to me because it made everything one unit/one color. Much more easier for me to start off with no colors so I switched it back to Residential lot type then back to Residential Rental.

All of the Expansion packs came with a new world except for Seasons. Initially, I was okay not having cars because I felt like my Sims have bikes. As time went on and now that we have For Rent, it would be nice to have an Expansion Pack that accommodates cars, mopeds/scooters, motorcycles, go kart racing/fun center new lot type, electric cars for kids (perhaps toddlers if doable; yet, this seems doubtful since toddlers don’t even have tricycles), and anything else that would go with this theme. Considering this is a life simulator game, one can only hope that they have been working on it.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,908 Member
    @Hearts4u congrats on the new laptop! I initially purchased the same G16 laptop in July but returned it for a G15 because I couldn't get used to not having a number pad on the keyboard.

Hoping that the next year brings additional modes of transportation for our Sims.
  • Options
    @Hearts4u congrats on the new laptop! I initially purchased the same G16 laptop in July but returned it for a G15 because I couldn't get used to not having a number pad on the keyboard.

Hoping that the next year brings additional modes of transportation for our Sims.

My current laptop has the number pad, but I’ve never used it. :p

I know there are many Simmers out there who will be very happy if they add transportation for our Sims. It just seems like a lot of things that Simmers have wanted are slowly coming to fruition. Better late than never.

Although For Rent was never something I personally thought about, it is a nice addition to have in the game.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I would really like for them to release that lot from the For Rent trailer with the swimming pool that someone is diving into during the trailer. I would probably like to add that one to my game. Yeah, I could build some version of it myself but if they posted it, I think they'd have a lot of interest. I've heard elsewhere of other people asking about the lots from the trailer as well. I'd like the Rockaya Rockside pool one specifically and I'd love it if they would patch it in. I would add it to Tomarang.

Requests like this are the reasons why I've been hanging around here lately. Lol. Anyway, thanks in advance, I hope!
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I made the boundary for each house have the yard included. I seen one guy in the yard, but just walking through.

Do you mean that the yard belongs to only one unit and is not a shared space?

Yes, that's what I mean. I made row houses with yards that are closed off with a fence and gate. There are no shared spaces because I was hoping that the neighbors would hang out in their yard.

When you create a yard as a private space, it is a dashed line instead of solid like when it's inside. I did see the guy grill a meal and then put it down on the outside table, but he never ate it. LoL
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I made the boundary for each house have the yard included. I seen one guy in the yard, but just walking through.

Do you mean that the yard belongs to only one unit and is not a shared space?

Yes, that's what I mean. I made row houses with yards that are closed off with a fence and gate. There are no shared spaces because I was hoping that the neighbors would hang out in their yard.

When you create a yard as a private space, it is a dashed line instead of solid like when it's inside. I did see the guy grill a meal and then put it down on the outside table, but he never ate it. LoL

I actually set "outside" areas as Shared, even if they are only accessable from within a given lot, just to have more sims from the other households show up. If a "unit" area isn't loaded, you won't see sims do much in them, even if they're outside. Dr. Gluon experimented with this in his Sinfield video from early access. He made the bulk of one apartment as "shared" so that the other sims would hang out, but the bedrooms were through an archway, and the sims vanished as soon as they crossed that line.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Oh man, that's unfortunate. One thing I really miss from sims 3 was seeing neighbors doing things in yards. Oh well. It still looks good.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Ever since For Rent released, I've been a busy little diligent bee.

I've finally finished in CAS by getting my main Sims ready, their relatives and Tomarang Sims. Whenever a new world/pack is released, I always go through and look at every pre-made Sim and make any necessary changes along with modifications to any builds already in the world.

Made some changes to the National Park-ZoSul Taman Botani to make it even more family friendly.
    Zo-Sul-Taman-Botani-Pic-1.png

Zo-Sul-Taman-Botani-Pic-2.png
    Sometimes you see a Sim on the gallery that you have to have in your game; this time around, Ethan is that Sim for me. So, I decided Kala would fall in love with him.

Ethan and Kala are the couple I'll be playing with. I only had to create his parents (the Millers). I found his sister (Zoey) and her husband (Remington) on the gallery. Ethan's parents live in Tartosa on the beach and his sister, Zoey, lives in San Sequoia. Kala's family is already in my game. Her mom and dad are the Purdys and her two sisters (Carlie and Anika) are both married.
    Families.png

The TS4 Goths are a classic to me and because I like their look, they will always be a part of my game. Alexander Goth dates Kala's niece, Angel Remy, so Kala knows his family. Kala's nephew, Luka Remy, is best friends with Ellioth Goth.
    Goth-aa.png

These are the families currently living in Tomarang in my game. Many of the Sims I added were found on the gallery.
    Tomarang-Familes-Pic-1.png

Tomarang-Familes-Pic-2.png

Possible future tenants for Ethan & Kala: These are the families not currently in the world.
    Tomarang-Familes-Pic-3.png

Tomarang-Familes-Pic-4.png

Super excited to finally be finished and now I can enjoy For Rent.
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 178 Member
    My plan was to play my current story I am writing about five young adult characters that have to live together in some kind of assisted living group. So I made apartments and a lot of shared spaces for them and what should I say - I really have fun playing and seeing them together interacting. Sure there could be more drama and stuff, but I still like it. It's not exactly the same as my story is (because they aren't assisted and that), but that's alright, I am just happy my plan how to play worked out really well with the new pack. :)

Anyways, I was always wishing for apartments to build and play with, because I never had the opportunity to play the Sims 2 Apartment living pack.
  • Options
    Here are some positive changes they may want to consider with For Rent that I've noticed so far:
    1. If food is out in the shared patio/barbeque area, tenants should eat what is there instead of barbequing more food.
    2. Tenants should be going to their jobs, to school and their after-school activities. None of my tenants or their children are walking down the steps and exciting the lobby to do these things.
    3. Please shorten the duration of the rental events. They are way too long.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Someone on the forum came up with this great idea to put the picture of the tenant on the outside of the tenants' door. Decided to do this for all my tenants as it makes it easier to know who is where and what they look like.

At least by having the parent's picture, I know in this case that this is the Foreman family and they have a toddler and twin boys.
    Phoro-on-Tenants.png
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited December 2023

When not playing as a landlord or tenant, if you want the non text game play, use the gremlins, and mold challenges which can be used on a tiny lot. Warning if doing so, all appliances, utilities, and electronics will break every night causing a mold infestation until everything is fixed, (and puddles mopped). Pure chaos.

Or you can use a residential lot with the maintenance troubles and mold challenges, and during an event be unable to do anything to fix the problem for 24 in game hours to receive a text when the event ends that the gas company fixed the stove explosion or nature fixed itself in a garden blight. No chaos, lots of text.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,940 Member

Very good. That would mean that soon the unit limit increase mod will be public, yes?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,908 Member
  • Options

Ah, fantastic! Thank you for sharing this!

So, tomorrow will be the dimmed units mod, eh?

I wonder why labeled units and dimmed units aren't in-game, but yeah, I'll hope that these eventually become official features.

And an ability to raise the max amount of units too. I'm really wondering what would happen if with the mod I go over 100 units and then I remove the mod...

Seriously, the ability to build residential rentals to any home world is still the best part about the pack.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Although I've discovered very little about for rent, I am really enjoying this pack. My apartment building really does feel like there is a sense of community. Plus, it is nice to see only Sims who live in the world are busy about the town—I shall enjoy this while it last.

Ethan and Buddy enjoying their nightly walk around town.
    Out-for-a-walk.png
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Does anyone have a list of the rental events that happen in the shared areas? I'm talking about the ones that last 12 Sim hours. I've only had Pet Adoption and the Charity Gift Drive.

Made some changes to my 6-unit apartment building, Decided to move the pool to the rooftop.
    Roof-top-Area.png
    One of my tenant's children autonomously came up to play hopscotch.
    Tenant-Child-Playing.png
  • Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of the rental events that happen in the shared areas? I'm talking about the ones that last 12 Sim hours. I've only had Pet Adoption and the Charity Gift Drive.

Made some changes to my 6-unit apartment building, Decided to move the pool to the rooftop.
    Roof-top-Area.png
    Tenant-Child-Playing.png

Good question...

Fun fact is that when your sim is a tenant, then talking to a neighbor, they can initiate these events. So thinking of if, there are 4 events that come to my mind:
    • Maintenance day
    • Charity Gift Day
    • Pet Adoption Drive
    • Tenant Revolt
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Hearts4u wrote: »

Roof-top-Area.png
    Tenant-Child-Playing.png

Good question...

Fun fact is that when your sim is a tenant, then talking to a neighbor, they can initiate these events. So thinking of if, there are 4 events that come to my mind:
    • Maintenance day
    • Charity Gift Day
    • Pet Adoption Drive
    • Tenant Revolt

Thank you,
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Playing as a property owner who lives onsite in one of the units:
    I really do like having the rental events enabled; so, I have no intention of turning them off. Yet, my only hope is that:
    1. For the Charity Gift Day, I hope they will adjust this so that once you make your donation the event would end. That way, if you want it to go on longer, you don't make your donation until you are ready for it to end. I like seeing the Sims out and about during this event; but, 12 hours is way too long with no way to end the event. How about reduce it down to 5 hours and have it occur two times per season with a way to end it early if one so desires.
    2. For Pet Adoption Drive, I wish that this one was reduced down to 3 hours and happened only once per season. 12 hours to have pets on the property is just way to long with no way to end it. Why not only require only one pet to be petted and have it end. That way, it leaves it up to the player to decide when the event ends.
    Out of the two events listed above, Pet Adoption Drive is the most annoying because it happens too often, there is no way to end it, and I have to watch homeless pets roaming around my property for 12 long hours. Besides this issue, I really do like the pack.

This may help those wondering about collecting rent.
    Also, it would have been helpful to know that a full Sim week needed to pass by before you start collecting rent on Wednesday. I just learned this after looking at the EA Answers HQ subject title: Tenants wont pay rent.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-FR-Tenants-wont-pay-rent/m-p/13289161#M262684
    Post edited by Hearts4u on