Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    What's up with the rent?

My sim's tenant had his rent increased after the first seven days by $50, however the maintenance fee/tax still remained at $50. The first time my sim collected rent it was $1200, the next Wednesday it was $800? Make it make sense?

In addition, the second rental term started, and I was planning to evict the tenant justly because they have literally broken the same rule three times and only one of the times did my sim get paid. The other two, the game acted like it never happened and just erased the fine? What's going on here?

What happened to the grace period?
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Welp, I gave the new apartments my best shot.... And I hate them. I reverted all my previous apartments back to residential and am playing as apartments my way by using door locks. I prefer it this way. I don't like the Maxis way with the empty square rooms, and the uncontrolled sims just standing around doing nothing, not even staying or going to school or work. This is why I don't care about open worlds. The sims just don't act right. I tried to visit a sim for lunch and brought food for us to share, and the sim would not stay seated. She just kept getting up and switching chairs. And why I don't have anything against loading screens to visit different houses, I don't want them just to go upstairs to another apartment.
  • Options
    Mendota wrote: »
    I tried to visit a sim for lunch and brought food for us to share, and the sim would not stay seated. She just kept getting up and switching chairs.

That's a Dine Out bug from way back that's never been fixed. I don't have my sim living on the rental lot. She's happy in her own apartment in San Myshuno and her tenant lives in a unit that's just for one sim. I never plan on having my sim actually live on the lots. I just feel like it would end up with sims invading like in Sulani.

• Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I m finding the new pack a bit frustrating to be honest. I created a house that my sim was turning into apartments whilst living on the lot. It cost most of his money to furnish out two nice but basic apartments. Then, I wanted him to move out and rent in the new world for a bit whilst receiving rent for the apartments he owns. The problem with this is, he was receiving very little income from the apartment he was renting out yet it had cost a lot of money to furnish them. But, to rent out an apartment as a tenant he needed a lot of money for the furniture so I opted for no furniture. When I started to place my own furniture in the rented apartment I got a notice saying the rent would increase. I m finding this a bit frustrating, it’s not working the way I thought.
    I have nt watched many videos about the pack though, no time, so some of these problems might be down to my lack of understanding. Hopefully it will get better.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,386 Member
    I m finding the new pack a bit frustrating to be honest. I created a house that my sim was turning into apartments whilst living on the lot. It cost most of his money to furnish out two nice but basic apartments. Then, I wanted him to move out and rent in the new world for a bit whilst receiving rent for the apartments he owns. The problem with this is, he was receiving very little income from the apartment he was renting out yet it had cost a lot of money to furnish them. But, to rent out an apartment as a tenant he needed a lot of money for the furniture so I opted for no furniture. When I started to place my own furniture in the rented apartment I got a notice saying the rent would increase. I m finding this a bit frustrating, it’s not working the way I thought.
    I have nt watched many videos about the pack though, no time, so some of these problems might be down to my lack of understanding. Hopefully it will get better.

I think it might be because price of furniture gets factored into a sort or property tax which is added to the rent price, similar to how your taxes would increase if you buy new furniture on owned lots.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Wow - say what you want about this creator, but he points out some major bugs and tuning issues in the For Rent pack. Some of these seem like easy fixes, but in the current state, it's imbalanced and unchallenging.

Gameplay discussion starts at 6:50 of the video:
    https://youtu.be/DhEFBsWZyL0?si=Fp2r-qpL3DfILDbk&t=409

I agree and as long as EA/Maxis keeps tweaking the pack, it will work out but then again I look at EA/Maxis track record, it has a learning curve.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Wow - say what you want about this creator, but he points out some major bugs and tuning issues in the For Rent pack. Some of these seem like easy fixes, but in the current state, it's imbalanced and unchallenging.

Gameplay discussion starts at 6:50 of the video:
    https://youtu.be/DhEFBsWZyL0?si=Fp2r-qpL3DfILDbk&t=409

I agree and as long as EA/Maxis keeps tweaking the pack, it will work out but then again I look at EA/Maxis track record, it has a learning curve.

I hope one of the improvements will be them raising the annoying 99 units per save limit.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd say that at least they do work on the game and most of the bugs get fixed. It'd be great if it didn't happen but it'd be worse if they did not continue to repair the bugs. I appreciate that they work on them but yep, there's a lot to keep them busy. I would say that I have more confidence in them to work on most of the bugs than a few other games I've played or considered playing but then learned about buggy content that those studios really don't fix at all.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited December 2023

I also found it strange that sims as tenants have to pay for the furniture. I was surprised to see my sim having to pay 10,000 simoleons for a sparsely decorated apartment. When you rent an apartment in real life, you don't have to pay for the furniture, as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

I also found it strange that sims as tenants have to pay for the furniture. I was surprised to see my sim having to pay 10,000 simoleons for a sparsely decorated apartment. When you rent an apartment in real life, you don't have to pay for the furniture, as far as I am aware.

No, but some apts even if not many, the rent may be a little higher if it is furnished than those that has no furniture other than a fridge and stove. Most apts where I come from (New York, New Jersey) they are not furnished other than the basic necessities.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,938 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Most apts where I come from (New York, New Jersey) they are not furnished other than the basic necessities.
    Same in here (Finland) , very rare to rent as fully furnished and rent will be much higher if so.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I tried to visit a sim for lunch and brought food for us to share, and the sim would not stay seated. She just kept getting up and switching chairs.

That's a Dine Out bug from way back that's never been fixed. I don't have my sim living on the rental lot. She's happy in her own apartment in San Myshuno and her tenant lives in a unit that's just for one sim. I never plan on having my sim actually live on the lots. I just feel like it would end up with sims invading like in Sulani.

You know the weird thing is... I don't have a problem with Dine Out. And without using the apartment option I never had the issue either.
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    Genuine question. Don't you think the creative vision of the developers are equally important? What about what the developers want? Are player demands all that matters in video games?

If you are familiar with how Baldur's Gate 3 was made, you'll know that the creative vision was at no time limited by players. It was only expanded and built upon. The devs had a pretty open line of communication with players. They didn't hide anything. It was rare that players didn't like what was being done...but when they did, Larian reacted not with a grudge but by listening. That's how the epilogue came to be.

Because of this, Larian swept the awards. The game is brilliant. There was no sacrifice of "vision."
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited December 2023

EA is a multi-billion dollar company. They can afford to do more and do it better. They choose not to. So, Larian takes home Game of the Year. That simple.

Yeah, it'd be different if Ts4 was made by a small studio with a small budget and some hopes and dreams. But EA is a AAA game company worth over a billion dollars. Like let that sink it. Over a billion dollars. And they still clearly CHOOSE to give TS4 a scraps worth of a budget. They want to make so much money from the game, but don't want the team to get the resources to make it an actually robust player experience. :'( Corporate greed is a terrible thing.

(Also for clarification/reminder) the devs are not EA. They work for them. When I criticize EA, I am saying upper management, the CEO himself, etc.
  • Options
    Coconut27 wrote: »

EA is a multi-billion dollar company. They can afford to do more and do it better. They choose not to. So, Larian takes home Game of the Year. That simple.

Yeah, it'd be different if Ts4 was made by a small studio with a small budget and some hopes and dreams. But EA is a AAA game company worth over a billion dollars. Like let that sink it. Over a billion dollars. And they still clearly CHOOSE to give TS4 a scraps worth of a budget. They want to make so much money from the game, but don't want the team to get the resources to make it an actually robust player experience. :'( Corporate greed is a terrible thing.

(Also for clarification/reminder) the devs are not EA. They work for them. When I criticize EA, I am saying upper management, the CEO himself, etc.

They scrapped whatever features Sims 3 that could have been applied to Sims 4 and when they tried to implement some of those features in Sims 4 it was a watered-down version and why I do not buy into their budget constraints as said they may pull in more than a billion and none of us has access to their Excel spreadsheet accounts and only can assume. However, out of all the packs I feel FR is a good step in need of tweaks here there and Sims 4 and FR may be the crescendo of the series and I pray I am wrong.
  • Options
    Goth583 wrote: »

You know the weird thing is... I don't have a problem with Dine Out. And without using the apartment option I never had the issue either.

Interesting. I have had that problem in my game since Dine Out. At best my sims go to cafes because the restaurant is one giant hassle.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    Looking on the bug forum, I don't think I have seen such a buggy pack since My Wedding Stories! I'm trying to figure out which are actual bugs, which are mod related, and which have workarounds, but there are so many reports I literally can't keep up. :o Is everyone having these issues?
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 440 Member
    Looking on the bug forum, I don't think I have seen such a buggy pack since My Wedding Stories! I'm trying to figure out which are actual bugs, which are mod related, and which have workarounds, but there are so many reports I literally can't keep up. :o Is everyone having these issues?

Another poster has listed the reported bugs here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18335311/#Comment_18335311

I think the initial bug list for Horse Ranch was longer than this. But this is still pretty bad. Considering the pack is mainly about building and renting units, you'd think they would have ensured those mechanics work properly. Many of these bugs were evident even in the early access videos, but EA released the pack with those bugs in it anyway.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I’ll repost the comment I made in the other thread.

Here’s my opinion so far.

CAS : I love the new hairs, especially the long straight hair. Clothes for Teen and up are not very versatile in my opinion, most of it is stuff I’ll only use on specific sims, although some pieces are really beautiful.
    I really like the children clothes though. Oh, I like the new traits too!

Build/Buy. : The furniture is beautiful, not everything is versatile but it makes sense. I like it, I think I’ll use the radiators, rugs, plants, appliances and plastic chairs often.
    It’s great to get new kitchen appliances and plants that are not clustered!

World : It is small, but Tomarang is beautiful, I love the night market, it’s so colorful. Kinda wish there were extra stalls we can buy stuff from, I would also have liked new harvestables like Mangos, Durians, Mangosteens, Sugar Cane (for example) that we could have also bought at the night market. I like the new recipes.
    I like that the swimmable area is big, it allows us to also use boats and jet-skis from Island Living. Again some new fish could have been nice, like new exotic fish for people who don’t have Island Living, such as Betta fish but in colors we don’t have (white, black, multi-colored).
    The temple is a rabbit hole, so is the tiger sanctuary, I was sad about this. You can’t even see tigers, just eyes in the bushes at night.

Gameplay : I haven’t tried everything, but I do like being able to build apartment units, and discovering secrets is fun. I really appreciate that children activities are included, though for me the marbles game is a bit buggy, my sim played for keeps, won, but there was no new marble in her inventory.
    Not gonna lie, loading screens between units are annoying, and they’re not super short in my case.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,450 Member
    Eleri wrote: »
    Please, bring up Baldur's Gate 3 as much as you like! EA needs to hear it. Larian asks players what they want (instead of telling them what they want), they have that amazing early access to work out bugs, and they were rewarded for it. Sims 4 would benefit from adopting those obviously successful business practices. Of course, I expect no lessons to be learned from BG3's success.

I'm neither an EA nor a For Rent apologist, but I feel like there's a minor detail that you're ignoring. RPGs are dramaaaaaaaaaaatically easier to code than sandbox games. Even Baldur's Gate 3, which gives players a lot more choices than most RPGs, has less player flexibility than the original Sims game.

Not only this, but they have done it better in early versions of The Sims. It's been said before, but the Sims 4's biggest problem is that three previous iterations exist, and the early games didn't even have the potential budget that EA has today. So yeah, players are going to compare, and will have a hard time understanding when a product falls short.
    Coconut27 wrote: »

Same. I try to make the distinction between EA as an overall company and Maxis/devs, because while I do think the devs are responsible for a certain amount of creative liberty and choice (and sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't), I also think they have to do their best to balance that with the terms laid out by EA.

As a loose example; say that an EP requires 18 months to have a good balance of gameplay, world creation, CAS and b/b, but needs an additional 3 months of QA because of all the packs that exist, and Maxis has two EPs in the works but EA wants a faster release schedule to keep their profit numbers up for their quarterly/yearly reports, then that's going to cause problems with the final result.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,450 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I haven't bought it yet, as I need to find out if rotational play is safe or not. I saw someone say that tenants can move out on their own, but I'm hoping that's just non-played households. But what happens if the lease runs out for played tenants while you're playing a different household? Will those tenants move out on their own? I hate things like story progression that takes control of my Sims. I have Neighborhood Stories turned off and I don't want the game telling me where my Sims want to live.

@LiELF This was one of my main concerns as I play in a similar fashion. I finally had time to test it with 12 played sims living in a 6 unit apartment and I can confirm that NONE of my played households moved out on their own, thank goody goodness. I also have played households living in the apartment building across the road (4 units) and they're exactly where I put them at the start of my session.

So what happens is, after the lease period (the default is 7 days) there's a notification regarding the "Tenant Grace Period". The Tenant Grace Period lasts 24 hours. During this Tenant Grace Period you can move out played households without having to pay a penalty. If you don't do anything, they'll just stay in their apartments. That's right. STAY IN YOUR APARTMENT!!

I did not create a landlord this time. I just converted a fully furnished residential lot into a residential rental, set up the units and moved in my own households.
    This is currently a very tedious process as most units were too expensive for my sims and -as others mentioned before- the free real estate cheat doesn't work at the moment. Grumble. I hope this gets fixed ASAP. If you don't create your own landlord the game does it for you ( same as the NPCs in City living & Eco Lifestyle) and he sometimes comes to visit, but you don't have to let him in. I actually sent him home, didn't want to talk to the man. I also had a bit of a roaches infested dumpster problem outside of the apartment and waste management came by to take out the trash. Or is this from another pack? I haven't got a clue. Oh wait, this is probably from Eco Lifestyle, yeah nevermind. 😆

Another tedious thing: I wish we could "Set As Front Door" in build mode when allocating units. All my tenants have their own apartment PLUS a ground floor garage & storage rooms that they rent (yeh, this is where the real mayhem happens...😈).
    I think it's great that we can do this, since this was also one of my main concerns. However... the game automatically recognises the doors to these storage room units as the "Front Door" since they're located in the vicinity of the main entrance of the building. Now I have to switch to each household individually in order to re-designate the front door function and..well...boring.

ETA: Hmmm. So each time I change households the front doors seem to reset as though I never changed them. I'll have to test it again to find out what I'm missing here. I do want to add though, the tenants DO recognise their living units as their home, it's only the visitors that are confused and start knocking at the storage unit's door.

I preordered the pack for all the wonderful reasons I won’t get into here. One of them includes mold. I haven't tested the mold yet. But since I'm here in Negative Land I might as well share some of the things that really friggin' bug me about this pack, because I hope the sims team takes notes from both positive and negative threads. Here's my rent-rant:

I will repeat what so many have pointed out already:

Rabbit holes.

Why advertise a tiger sanctuary rabbit hole with a special effect? The special tiger effect being glowing eyes, pretty much the same eyes that watch you from the bushes in Forgotten Hollow and Sylvan Glades! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the special effects, but advertising a rabbit hole is not good enough. I believed Sims 4 was all about the “NO MORE RABBITHOLES FOLKS! WE'RE DONE WITH THOSE AND WERE PROUD OF IT! WE'RE HOLE FREE FROM NOW ON! SORT OF.”

Yeah right. No rabbit holes me ho… So here we are: Sims 4 is finally turning into a gigantic Swiss cheese. It’s been fermenting for quite some time now.

Here’s the Oxford definition of a “hole”:

a hollow place in a solid body or surface.
    "the dog had dug a hole in the ground"

In this case the dog dug a hole in the tiger sanctuary and all the tigers fell in. At least we know what happened to them.

Or this definition:

“a place or position that needs to be filled because someone or something is no longer there.”
    ( I won’t include the example because it’s too heartbreaking)

Notice where they say “NEEDS to be filled” . Take note sims team. NEEDS to be filled, with gameplay that goes beyond the text adventure quest, perhaps similar to Jungle Adventures, where you move into a new, hidden area of the world after succesfully completing the text adventure, although I would have preferred to see an actual sloth.
    What’s that someone or something? Exactly! The tigers. The tigers are no longer there because they all nose-dived/dove into a frigging hole!! A rabbit hole at that!! How is that even possible, the size of those beasts! But they fell in regardless, down down down. They fell in as tigers and eventually came out as …tassels. No wonder. But why tassels?!

So this is where I have to conclude my rabbithole rant because I have yet to solve the mystery surrounding the tassels. Ah! Give me a crowbar and let me break into that wee gazebo that's standing all alone in that teeny little garden over there. I may or may not magically discover an actual botanical garden in there. SHEESH!

The Nightmarket.

Seriously? So we've got what, 20 market stalls and only 5 or 6 are interactible and occupied with vendors? The other ones are decor only.
    What's worse, most of the deco stalls are fish market stalls. And I can't buy a single fish! Instead, I have to go that lovely waterfront " fishmarket" rabbithole lot across the road to buy my darn rabbithole fish. What's the point? Why not put a fish stall at the nightmarket and let us use that water front lot to build on?! Why is there no floating market? Boats? Come on, did the rental system eat all of this EP's budget?? I find it hard to believe, then again, I still haven't explored everything this pack has to offer. I won't lose my marbles just yet.

Tuc Tucs.

The ones that zoom around Tomarang are quite endearing. But WHY CAN'T OUR SIMS drive a TUC TUC?!
    Not that big of a problem, but worth mentioning it.

There's probably more, but I have to stop there before I go down the deep rant-rabbithole myself and will land exactly where our hungry family of tassel tigers ended up. Poor beasts, I'd be such a bland feast.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Thank you so much for this report, that really helps. I couldn't find this information anywhere. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Aging bug for players on long has resurfaced. Added my report to the others there.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    it's good to know that they are currently aware and trying to resolve the big issues like the b/b lag on rental lots and the NPC not spawning for commercial lots. I tried the uncheck the opt out of fame solution and idk if it worked, but it seems that LMS's Auto Employee mod still works with this update so i've also been using that as a place holder in the meantime
  • Options
    ShiftclickShiftclick Posts: 20 Member
    I have no desire to purchase Sims4 Renters. I want the Rental option put back in the lot choices. I mark all of the homes in my game as Rental, that way no one moves in and I can control how many sims are in my game. Looks like I will be bulldozing all the extra homes from now on. Thanks but no thanks on coming out with another bad idea. It's one button, put it back.