Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Challenger: Chris Harper - Hidden Springs

53132263109_2789eccc49_k.jpg

112 Day Challenge

Challenger:
Chris Harper

Traits:
Loves the Outdoors
Green Thumb
Angler
Friendly
Clumsy

Lifetime Wish:
Surrounded by Family

Chris is coming from a large farming family in Appaloosa Plains.
Accustomed to hard work, having fun and generally being friendly, he is expected to do well in the Challenge.
New to the city and the region, it still may take him some time to adjust.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA

Comments

• Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @BlackSand , I just read the rules of your challenge. Chris is going to have a tough but interesting time! (I like the idea of creating highly skilled townies to use in future games!)
  • Options
    TamijoTamijo Posts: 1,072 Member

Was expecting you to do (another) one of these :), will follow how it turns out.
    My active stories: Appaloosa County..*.. Sinful Sisters.....*.....Earlier stories:..*..Survivors the River..*.. A Memoir of Grace "Slick" Joplin
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

@PalmArrow and @Tamijo ... Thanks for popping in.

I decided to do another Challenge to add some more Sims to my bin and because @texansky had started one.
    I have done more than a few because I like the results, and the first few someone does can be difficult.

Players don't need to do exactly what I do, because your Sims and your game are exactly that ... Yours ... :D
    But ... I can share and show you how things can go, and offer ideas on how to help things run smoothly.

I finished Chris' first 7 days yesterday and will post an update shortly.
    In the update I will explain how I both hit Challenge goals and respected the general idea of the Sim himself.
    I am not trying to make cookie cutter versions of the same Sim.

Thanks again for stopping by ... I hope I offer ideas to others that want to give it a try.
    Happy Simming ... Have A Lovely Day ... <3

• Options

53133547102_a5ed3b28fd_k.jpg

Chris had a very successful first week drawing on his strengths from back home.
    Being raised on a farm in Appaloosa Plains, he took to gardening rather quickly ... And the desire to eat made fishing a must.
    The first two days he wandered around gathering seeds, made friends with Nicholas Riverhawk ...
    And was able to harvest a few vegetables from his Nicholas' garden.

53133556312_1be5e922b0_k.jpg

Chris also picked up a few gems while wandering around and cut them at the community Elixir Shop before consigning them.
    With the proceeds from the consignment shop, Chris went into town ... And invested in both the Grocery Store and Diner ...
    Then decided to workout at the gym before using their showers.

53134622538_3b64f55d41_k.jpg

His tasks took up most of his day, and he wanted to get a strong start, especially while Summer was still around.
    The growing season is strong, and the weather is amiable ... Other than that he cooked and read books before bed.
    Sticking with everything ... He got the solid start he wanted.

53132686875_b476c7c96f_k.jpg

53132486209_e08bad89c4_k.jpg

Challenger Chris Harper - First 7 Days Status

Skills:
    Gardening - 10
    Fishing -10
    Athletic -10
    Charisma - 3
    Handiness - 2
    Photography - 2

Career:
    Self-Employed Angler - 7

Assets:
    Grocery Store - Partner
    Diner - Partner
    Bank Account - 7586 Simloleons

Most Interesting Thing
    Once Chris went to the Gym and achieved Athletic Skill to Level 3 ... He could Jog.
    Being raised on a farm, Chris had never thought about jogging in his life ...
    But he got the idea looking at the people on the running equipment at the gym.
    Chris was also a bit out of shape when he arrived at the challenge ... Strong, but a little wide around the middle.

53134624153_b7d512126a_k.jpg

Long story short ... He spent most of the first week jogging everywhere he went.
    The reduced diet and extra activity made some changes to his body ... As well as gaining Athletic Skill routinely.
    He's almost skinny if it wasn't for the muscles he has now ... :D

53134624648_9ca6388406_k.jpg

If you have any question on how that all works out, feel free to ask.
    If you have anything you want to share, feel free to add.
    If you are giving the 112 Day Challenge a shot ... Enjoy your game and share what you come up with.
    I am looking forward to more fun with Chris over the next 105 Sim Days.

• Options

Great start - some perfect screenshot.
    Do you run with the standard (37) game speed. Actually have you tweaked anything or is it all standard settings besides what is mentioned in the challenge itself.
    My active stories: Appaloosa County..*.. Sinful Sisters.....*.....Earlier stories:..*..Survivors the River..*.. A Memoir of Grace "Slick" Joplin
  • Options
    Tamijo wrote: »
    Great start - some perfect screenshot.
    Do you run with the standard (37) game speed. Actually have you tweaked anything or is it all standard settings besides what is mentioned in the challenge itself.
    I have Relativity set at 19 and that allows about half the speed as the standard 37.
    I am not in a hurry to get done and want to be more effective in the game.

Players set it wherever they want to and that is all fine.
    I just generally don't create Sims to watch them hurry up and die.

Which is why I developed the Challenge ... The object is not to pop out babies as quick as possible like the Legacies.
    I kind of like my Sims to have a life before they have a family and get ready to move on to the afterlife ... :D

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Actually have you tweaked anything or is it all standard settings besides what is mentioned in the challenge itself.
    I also have Community Lots with opportunities ... Mainly for things the Sim may want to do but is restricted from buying.

For instance ... I may have a stage at the City Park with instruments on it that a Challenger can pick up and start playing.
    There may be a Nectary or Dojo in town ... Where they can go and work on skills.
    The Consignment store has easels for painting in a garden behind the store ... And so on.

It's all about opportunities and developing the Sim to what suits them best with focus on success.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Ya, was expecting you used community lots for creative skills, to save space.
    Is there a rule against 4 story cellars ;)
  • Options
    texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member

@BlackSand
    Question:
    Would it be considered cheating to sleep in the beds at the fire station if you don't work there? And if you are a firefighter, could you sleep there?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Is there a rule against 4 story cellars ;)
    Yeah ... The Challenger cannot buy/build during the challenge.
    They can buy books from Bookstore ... If you haven't put all the books sold in the Bookstore in the Library already.

Also, space is not a problem ... You can set up a Challenge Lot on a 30x30 lot, if you desire.
    But the only thing you need space for is planting a garden ... Because you cannot build anything.

The chest is there so your inventory doesn't get clogged up when you are saving items to use (like for fertilizer).
    You can also save gems you find ... And take them all to get cut on a single day ... And so on.

The purpose of the Challenge is to build the Sim ... Not a house, or a stockpile of stuff.

There is a rule that you sell everything you get by the end of the challenge,
    although I would not mind players keeping Community Awards they may earn or the Deathflower exception.

There would be no need for four cellars full of nothing ... :D

• Options
    texansky wrote: »
    @BlackSand
    Question:
    Would it be considered cheating to sleep in the beds at the fire station if you don't work there? And if you are a firefighter, could you sleep there?
    Not at all ... Sleeping anywhere public, or at least until someone kicks you out, is fair game ... :D
    If you are a firefighter it is part of the job ... So also okay.

There is a rule against becoming roommates and moving in with others though.

• Options

Not Ready to put up the Week 2 update yet ...
    But, rain set in all day and Chris was a bit tired and had been running ragged.
    He caught up on sleep and stayed in the tent reading until late afternoon.

He then went to the Elixir Shop to Consign some items and ran into a nice young lady working the counter ...
    Before going next door to Vargs' Tavern for a few drinks and a game of pool with another nice young lady.
    I guess it was his day off and night of relaxation.

53135745600_e97c09339f_k.jpg

53135745390_b4910a9b99_k.jpg

The week is almost over though.
    Chris isn't slipping and is steady moving along.

• Options

@BlackSand: Right, completely forgot about lot restrictions.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    It's great to see Chris doing well! And those young ladies are very pretty.
  • Options

53137210345_c2f2bb7009_k.jpg

Week 2 Update: Chris Harper
    The week in two words ... Relentless Rain.

Lots of rain in Chris's second week, but that isn't all bad.
    Although he did get struck by lightning while gardening, he managed to survive.

There are some things he wants to do with produce after the growing season winds down in the Fall, so he has planted a sizable garden ...
    This would normally take more time to manage, but the rain is doing most of the watering from him.
    I also caught Chris playing in the puddles when he was through weeding the plants ... :D

53137133154_0d4365c1ef_k.jpg

53137132674_b0729ab3ae_k.jpg

Chris had some business in town and managed to stop by the Dojo on his way home.
    He messed around a little and figured a few things out over time.

The hot tub in the Dojo was broken ...
    But he didn't feel comfortable enough to fix it after flirting with lightning a few days before.

53134879747_5f6f01dcb3_k.jpg

Skills:
    Charisma - 4
    Handiness - 5
    Photography - 5
    Martial Arts - 5

New Acquistions and Existing Assets:
    Outstanding Citizen's Warehouse - Partner
    Doo Peas Corporate - Partner
    Bank Account - 15261 Simoleons

New Achievements:
    Marathon Runner (Athletic)
    Fitness Nut (Athletic)
    Personable (Charisma)
    Everyone's Best Friend (Charisma)
    Amateur Ichthyologist (Fishing)
    Commercial Fisherman (Fishing)
    Master Planter (Gardening)

One of his days was a bit off after catching Deathfish in the Graveyard well after Midnight.
    He slept late, did the gardening, read a little while ... Then took some items to the Elixir Shop to Consign.

As I mentioned, he ran into a nice young lady there ... So he actually made a point to stop back by the next day.
    Unfortunately ... The Sim powers managed to replace the nice young lady with this somewhat interesting fellow.

53137338075_8582c2ded2_k.jpg

Challenge Tips:
    Fishing can be an asset and is required for a central requirement of the Challenge.
    However ... It can also be a "cash cow" in slow times.

Players tend to know that different fish bring in different amounts of cash.
    It is important to also remember that the more fish of a single type a Challengers catches ...
    The value of that type increases over time.

53136932361_82e369c43c_k.jpg

Ponds freeze up in the late Fall and Winter, but Saltwater doesn't.
    Lobsters are the best money you can make in Saltwater Fish.
    You can grow Onions to catch Tuna ... And use Tuna to catch Lobsters all year.

Consigning fish doesn't count the same way towards your Angler Career ... But you can make more money through Consigning fish.
    Just remember to alternate between the Consignment Store and the Elixir Shop to keep the prices up.

53136334492_e27bc68aeb_k.jpg

Since you are going to be in the Graveyard at some point catching Deathfish anyway ... Keep your little camera handy.
    Daily, you can snap a picture of the Mausoleum and Tombstones for a little extra value in price and towards your Photography Skill.

Two of the most valuable pictures you can take are "Ghost" and "Wandering Ghost" ... Take advantage of the opportunities.
    Two more very valuable pictures you can take are of an "Alien" and "Space Car" ... Keep your eye out for the opportunities.

Thanks For Dropping By ... And Happy Simming!

• Options

Nice update. Handy with rain, save a lot of time if you got a huge garden. A sizable garden is quite time consuming, to manage single handed.
  • Options

53139097826_953d7dddd6_k.jpg

Toyotama Hime Dojo
    If anyone wants a Dojo to add to their town, I will see if it lets me upload it to the Exchange.

53139572258_9c8c213329_k.jpg

Week 3 Update: Chris Harper
    Still taking advantage of the Summer growing Season, Chris is liable to argue with a tree by now ... :D
    Late nights pulling Deathfish out of the Graveyard have been profitable,
    and he is familiar with most of the staff at the Consignment Stores.

53139299714_a145d4c503_k.jpg

Chris did manage to go back and Repair the hot tub at the Dojo and upgrade it to Unbreakable.
    He also worked on his Martial Arts skill off and on throughout the week when traveling back and forth from his camp to town.

53139300254_3b12225586_k.jpg

53139300579_71f336b5f2_k.jpg

Skill Changes:
    Martial Arts - 10
    Photography - 8
    Handiness - 7
    Charisma - 5
    Social Networking - 3

New Acquisitions or Changes:
    Grocery Store - Owner
    Wilsonoff Community Theater - Partner
    Sacred Spleen Hospital - Partner
    Llama Memorial Arena - Partner
    Bank Account - 36582 Simoleons

New Achievements:
    Celebrity (Charisma)
    Super Friendly (Charisma)
    Reputation (Consignment Store)
    Sales (Consignment Store)
    Profit (Consignment Store)

Chris has made 77,483 Simoleons through the Consignment Store in 3 Sim Weeks.
    Still ... Even with advancements in Charisma, and fairly good luck meeting and people and making a good impression ...
    You're still going to run into the occasional Eunice (hotheaded, mean spirited, evil, genius, snob) ... :D

53139511505_c2dafcba6f_k.jpg

Thanks for dropping by and Happy Simming!

• Options

Really cool Dojo
  • Options

53146718968_151c6b04a7_k.jpg

Mid-Fall Update: Chris Harper
    (more playing and less writing as the challenge gets more involved)

Fall came sneaking right on in and it wasn't long before gardening was not going to take up all Chris' time.
    He was sad to see a few of his plants go after he had carefully nurtured them to a high quality.

53146430929_c0bcd2dc8f_k.jpg

But ... All good things eventually come to an end ... And he had plans for some of the Life fruit he had been growing.
    He also spent some time training members of the Community at the Dojo ...
    Stopping by to stay in shape and going back and forth to town.

53146650540_660dde91cf_k.jpg

53146718263_2b0d62d3b7_k.jpg

Called one of the ladies that works at the Consignment Store and she came over for a little while.
    They went out on a date later ... But nothing serious although they had fun.

53146431764_241aec0633_k.jpg

53145642457_bb2e33afb2_k.jpg

Working on his people skills (Charisma) ... He hasn't passed up a chance to accept invitations to parties.
    He's not really the party type, but the networking is worthwhile.

53145641547_610cca15d5_k.jpg

53145641237_d42023157b_k.jpg

Chris even tried to solve the age-old question men have about why women go to the bathroom together ...
    But he still doesn't know ... :D

53146252991_fc3ef3e1b6_k.jpg

Skill Changes:
    Handiness - 10
    Photography -10
    Social Networking - 9
    Nectar Making - 8
    Charisma - 7
    Logic - 6
    Alchemy -2
    Club Dancing - 3

Business Changes:
    Diner - Owner
    Bistro - Owner
    Theater - Owner
    Bookstore - Owner
    Corporate Towers - Owner
    Warehouse - Owner

Bank Account:
    35,297 Simoleons

Current Net Worth:
    386,500 Simoleons

• Options
    texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member

He's coming right along.
  • Options

53153474859_fa75dfa209_k.jpg

Last few days before the end of Fall Update
    Having handled up on his Angler Career, Chris spent the last bit of Fall squaring away some loose ends.
    He took a Writing Class and started practicing his skills at the Greenwire Java Hut when not at the Gym.
    The Greenwire Java Hut is also a great place to meet for lunch or just run into friends when they are in town.

53153767073_28a351ac38_k.jpg

53153268371_7634b41d78_k.jpg

53153765608_f4a5aa358d_k.jpg

53153697815_015cea1046_k.jpg

Varg's Tavern is a pretty busy place as well and he can sometimes meet up with friend there for a night of drinks, pool and dancing.
    He's getting kind of sweet on one young lady but has a reputation of not messing around during his Challenge.
    He would also tell you that is getting to be a bit challenging ... :D

53153549669_36b8b3da5f_k.jpg

53153700015_b8097995da_k.jpg

Career and Skills:
    Logic - 10
    Nectar Making - 10
    Social Networking - 10
    Charisma - 0
    Writing - 9
    Angler Career - 10

Bank Account Ballance:
    71,653 Simoleons

Chris is getting ready for the long Winter.
    Happy Simming!

• Options

Lots of activity on those venues :)
  • Options

53157749386_827c6ae118_k.jpg

Winter Arrives:
    Chris has been looking forward to the winter as it allows his schedule to change a little.
    He quit his Career and an Angler and after taking a class and practicing, he decided to try and write a book.
    Amazingly enough his first book ... Chilly Reception ... Was a Hit, and it wasn't long until he started on his second work.

Chris split his time between the Library, Gym, Java Hut and Consignment Shop ...
    He even had a date with Laura at the Consignment Shop where they dance by the Nectar Maker.

53157951904_6bcc3848e3_k.jpg

Chris took a Cooking Class and read a book on Cooking while at the Library.
    Later in the week he was invited to party at the Winterly's house where he made a key lime pie as soon as he showed up.
    It must have been good because there weren't any leftovers to put in the fridge ... :D

53158173340_2c81add478_k.jpg

Chris decided to take it easy over the first weekend of the Winter.
    His schedule was not pressing, so he packed up the burn pit and headed up into the mountains around Hidden Springs.
    There was a particular spot he liked to fish and that was away from the hustle and bustle of town.
    It had snowed enough to make an igloo, and by midday Friday he had camp set up.

53158174170_ed66899874_k.jpg

He took advantage of the cold weather and did a little ice skating ... He invited Laura up the next day and evening ...
    Before breaking camp on Sunday and getting ready to get back to the Challenge.

53157169447_69a5d367d7_k.jpg

53157751131_4a36d981f3_k.jpg

53158174980_6526720a61_k.jpg

Skill Changes:
    Writing -10
    Cooking - 7

Career:
    Writer - 5

By this point Chris has bought most of the businesses in town except for the Science Lab where he is still a Partner,
    He has his Eye on investing in the other businesses like the Java Hut now and the Gym now.
    Both are expensive but the returns could be substantial, and he still needs to earn a little more.

Bank Account:
    82,465 Simoleons

• Options

53167010156_1121a2bd49_k.jpg

Winter Update
    Chris has still gone out a few times with Laura and his lack of furthering that aspect allowed him material to write about.
    He not only bought the Greenwire Java Hut, bur quickly found it too busy to get any writing done.

Chris decided he would use the computers at the Library to write.
    He traded time writing with time repairing the facilities, computers and just keeping the place picked up and orderly.
    He also got a little studying in when possible.

53166420992_d756c491ca_k.jpg

53167210754_4ea43323c5_k.jpg

53167443925_b563b536d6_k.jpg

Chris also took the opportunity to stay in touch with his new friends.
    It has become his tradition, and he will cook a Key Lime Pie as soon as he shows up at your party ... :D

53167444875_f5d8e6712a_k.jpg

53166421942_67323ebf5d_k.jpg

Chris managed to do a little fishing although he quit his Andler Career just to break up the grind Writing.

53167496338_057fcbccb9_k.jpg

Chris has invested in or owns all the public properties and is now looking for some new opportunities.
    The first he bought after the Greenwire was the The Wave ... An upscale Executive Club with potential and a stiff price tag.
    It's not necessarily his style ... But the money he could make plays well into the Challenge he is in.

53167213564_e55e72e65f_k.jpg

53167495578_a9e777b7cc_k.jpg

Another Business he is looking at purchasing is the Gym ... Which would also be a costly endeavor.
    Freshly renovated and upgraded ... The investment could also be worthwhile.

Note:
    You may notice the Gym ... It's the one in Sunset Valley ...
    Renovated and landscaped to the area of course ... :D

53166423882_6527f12119_k.jpg

53167447260_457197c4d0_k.jpg

As Winter comes to close he has maxed out the Self Employed Writer Career and written his last book for a while.
    But ... Not before putting the finishing touches on 14 hits and 15 Best Sellers ... All Romance Novels.
    He will make 162,000 Simoleons and some change in Royalties each week for the remaining 4 weeks of the Challenge.

Oh ... The young lady in the green top pictured above eating pie on the porch in the snow ...
    Is Jenny Lho of Hidden Springs without the terrible haircut EA gave her,
    Jenny is probably one of the prettiest and most accurate Sims EA made ... Toss up with Simon Cho,
    Happy Simming and Have A Lovely Day!

• Options

Nice that although you do the challenge, you get a story feeling at the same time.
    Great pictures.