Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Players: 64% cis female, 21% cis male, 17% fluid/trans; 45% non-heterosexual

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    Then again, I’ve seen females scold males for wanting more masculine assets in the game: “All Triple A games are male focused, let us girls have ONE thing that has nothing to do with you.”
    Perhaps this is exactly the reason why Sims 4 marketing is the way it is. I don’t know what their motives are.

Exactly, same here. I think it's awesome that the Sims Franchise is one of the most diverse in the industry. But is it the right move to stop marketing to male simmers and have male CAS items be an afterthought?

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Then again, I’ve seen females scold males for wanting more masculine assets in the game: “All Triple A games are male focused, let us girls have ONE thing that has nothing to do with you.”
    Perhaps this is exactly the reason why Sims 4 marketing is the way it is. I don’t know what their motives are.

Exactly, same here. I think it's awesome that the Sims Franchise is one of the most diverse in the industry. But is it the right move to stop marketing to male simmers and have male CAS items be an afterthought?

I hate the view that just because someone has something they shouldn't want something different. Ideally, games should cater to a variety of different demographics.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    And it makes no sense. I'm female, but I play with male sims, too, and I want them to be properly dressed just like my female sims...
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2023
    Simmingal wrote: »

I wonder indeed
    maybe those students just thought you were too cool for only one gender and therefore decided you are not bound by genders

at least what comes to my mind when I think what non-binary people look like :

cool looking people, wearing sunglasses for no apparent reason, while this music plays
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

actually I might have thought about nonbinary numbers

Are you secretly accusing me of piracy? ☠️
    I believe those students were confused because I look like the masculine equivalent of Conchita Wurst.

No worries Captain
    the tune is merely too cool for the advertisement and therefore serves as soundtrack of # cool people

also looking like Conchita Wurst is only a bonus really
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yeah. IRL relationships seem very messy. I like the idea of it sometimes but I'm not sure I'd be good at the reality. Cats are easier.

the truth. Cats offer everything one needs in relationship anyway, snuggles, warmth, conversation and takes far less space in your apartment than full grown adult man

also respects your boundaries, unless its using toilet with door closed
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited July 2023
    What happens if you've just made a recent self-discovery?

(Ace Noob)

To be honest it kind of explains why I liked large households but they never got married. In fact it explains a lot of things.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »

(Ace Noob)

You get welcomed into the ace community!
    Do you happen to like baked goods?
    maybe dragons?
    *offers a welcome package*
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I believe those students were confused because I look like the masculine equivalent of Conchita Wurst.
    Wait, wait, wait. I'm noticing a discrepancy. That picture of your simself that you posted on the recent simself thread looked nothing whatsoever like Conchita Wurst. Was the handsome, mustard-clad figure a dastardly lie? Were you misrepresenting yourself online? Is that something people do?
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    RoaringHeightsRoaringHeights Posts: 34 Member
    I wonder what the gender ratio was with respect to previous titles. The reason I got into The Sims 4 = The Sims 3, which I started playing about a year prior TS4’s official release.
    TS3 is a life sim that offers open world, cars and a world creation tool, which is something that I assume a majority of men would have a natural interest for. I did anyway. I expected Sims 4 to include similar features, which hasn’t happened so far, but I learned to appreciate the game for what it is now. I sort of fell into and rolled with it. It’s by no means a perfect game, but it suits my gameplay style and there are many features that I now prefer compared to similar ones that exist in previous titles, including graphics, build / buy, CAS and animation quality.

If however, I hadn’t been playing TS3 because it and other titles were simply non existent, I may not be playing The Sims 4 now.
    Its marketing is predominantly “female” focused, which is something I would naturally avoid, unless someone forced me to play the game and I would find out that it is in fact, a lot of fun. Which again, I believe it is, bar a couple of annoying things.

In conclusion, you’re all very lucky to have me here. 🤡

Pretty much the exact same story. I started playing 3 in 2012 and I was obsessed with the amount of customization, it also wasn't advertised as a feminine game at the time so my parents got me a copy. I ended up getting 4 on release but that was a waste of $59.99 on launch.
    Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited July 2023
    ryouma17 wrote: »
    whats wrong with simply being called a straight, bi, or gay person

Nothing wrong at all, if one of those labels works for you :)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited July 2023
    I am female and I'm what my dad calls a mutt I am a list of many races and countries
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

Oh..is it? ... I'm not much of a gown type but look, I suppose there's a first for everything. Let’s hope the game will add it to my milestones. 👠

Eleri wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait. I'm noticing a discrepancy. That picture of your simself that you posted on the recent simself thread looked nothing whatsoever like Conchita Wurst. Was the handsome, mustard-clad figure a dastardly lie? Were you misrepresenting yourself online? Is that something people do?

Clever observation, two things however:
    1. I used Conchita’s image as a point of reference - note the adjective that I used to describe my own resemblance to they/ them/ lady beard/ gown. It makes all the difference. In my case anyway. I think. I hope.
    2. As a cursed being I may in fact- appear as either, depending on the size and the mood of the moon. I’ll admit it, on a day to day basis I do indeed look like the extremely beautiful, tall, dark, hairsome & fearsome, mustard clad beastly figure that you’re speaking of (thank you for noticing, I do appreciate the thought 💚) that is- until around the night of the fat moon, when I transform into something more menacing, something that looks almost- but not quite - human. Some say super human, some say who-man? Some say Dude. Again, let’s take the Wurst example and take it from there.

Yes, unfortunately many people do misrepresent themselves online, and NO, I am certainly not one of those people.
    I would never do such a thing, especially when it comes to posting my simself on the forums. Trust me, I look exactly like every single one of them.

I am female and I'm what my dad calls a mutt I am a list of many races and countries

Is that what we get to call ourselves now? Mutts? Or does this only apply to females? 😅
    I do believe there should be an additional % for Simmers that are mutts and mongrels. We get the best of many worlds, or in my case, probably the worst. Go Team! 💪🏼
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Oh..is it? ... I'm not much of a gown type but look, I suppose there's a first for everything. Let’s hope the game will add it to my milestones. 👠

Eleri wrote: »

Clever observation, two things however:
    1. I used Conchita’s image as a point of reference - note the adjective that I used to describe my own resemblance to they/ them/ lady beard/ gown. It makes all the difference. In my case anyway. I think. I hope.
    2. As a cursed being I may in fact- appear as either, depending on the size and the mood of the moon. I’ll admit it, on a day to day basis I do indeed look like the extremely beautiful, tall, dark, hairsome & fearsome, mustard clad beastly figure that you’re speaking of (thank you for noticing, I do appreciate the thought 💚) that is- until around the night of the fat moon, when I transform into something more menacing, something that looks almost- but not quite - human. Some say super human, some say who-man? Some say Dude. Again, let’s take the Wurst example and take it from there.

Yes, unfortunately many people do misrepresent themselves online, and NO, I am certainly not one of those people.
    I would never do such a thing, especially when it comes to posting my simself on the forums. Trust me, I look exactly like every single one of them.

Is that what we get to call ourselves now? Mutts? Or does this only apply to females? 😅
    I do believe there should be an additional % for Simmers that are mutts and mongrels. We get the best of many worlds, or in my case, probably the worst. Go Team! 💪🏼

well its what my dad call himself so yes it works for males as well @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

(Ace Noob)

To be honest it kind of explains why I liked large households but they never got married. In fact it explains a lot of things.

Hello fellow Ace! :)<3
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ryouma17 wrote: »
    when did sexuality become so complicated, what's wrong with simply being called a straight, bi, or gay person

Because not everyone identifies or falls into the category of just those three labels, and people who fall under other labels/ identities have always existed and deserve a word to make sense of who they are and feel seen :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Hi @ryouma17 glad you love the Sims :) and there are plenty of other straight males here too.

Cis is short for cisgender. That means that the gender you were assigned at birth, your anatomy, your pronouns, your personal sense of what gender you are, and the gender others tend to perceive you as, all match.
    I am a cis female. Sounds like you are a cis male.
    Gender fluid means that one or more of those aspects of gender is not exactly either the typical male or female.
    (If it's just the anatomy that's not exactly the typical male or female, usually people use the term "intersex" instead.)

Pansexual is like bisexual, except the word emphasizes the ability to be attracted to people who are trans or gender fluid or nonbinary. Pansexual is a newer word, so there are plenty of people in earlier generations (like me) who describe themselves as bisexual because that's the word that existed at the time, but they do also fit the definition of pansexual. Using the word bisexual isn't intended to rule out people who aren't just male or female, it is just an older word.

Asexual means little to no interest in sexual intimacy. People who describe themselves as asexual might also be aromantic, or not.

deleted. i missed a part of the comment :)
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    The demographics for the Sims 4 comes as no surprise.

Sims 1/2/3 had more supernatural/fantasy gameplay, silly hi-jinks, and comical consequences, so the demographic was a bit more varied (including a more mature age group). Whereas the Sims 4 has been watered down to accommodate a more family/kid friendly play style. That's the choice EA made with this particular iteration and we either accept it or move on. And generally speaking, females/feminine types tend to be drawn towards that type of gameplay (family, nurture, dressup, romance, etc), so of course that's who the largest demographic ends up to be.

Companies will market their games/products to the largest audience and cater to the loudest squeaky wheels. All others (outliers) will get a few crumbs tossed their way once in a while to keep them playing/buying the product too (albeit they're not the main revenue). But it's like this in every industry, not just the Sims and not just gaming.... figure out who your largest demographic is (or choose who you want as your target audience) and aim the majority of your products and marketing strategies in that direction to draw even more of that demographic in.

I guess I'm a bit of an outlier as a Sims 4 player because even though I'm a female, I'm not much of a family player. For a few hours here and there? Sure, but not constantly all the time. I'm more drawn towards fantastical adventures and comical pandemonium. So the supernatural, and silly hijinx aspects of the Sims 1/2/3/4 is what has kept me around for so many years... even though there's less of it in the Sims 4, I'm still enjoying the bits that we do have.

As a side note:
    Because of the more family/kid friendly direction of the Sims 4, I'm betting the next iteration of the game (Sims 5) will be even more geared towards that same demographic and will have hardly any (if at all) supernatural/occult/hi-jinks type of gameplay. We're already seeing that partially play out in the Sims 4 with such a lack of occult/supernatural DLC's, the reduction of humourous consequences.... and more importantly, the nerfing out of these things when they have been added because of the larger, louder audience demands on social media to get rid of them.

I think the 'us vs them' problem that has plagued the Sims 4 since the beginning is going to get resolved in the Sims 5 by simply omitting one side altogether. :|

Just my $.02 worth.

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I'd be interested in exactly how this information is going to be used for future game design, because to me it seems a bit limiting to just say X amount of people are Cis female/male, X amount are trans, etc. Gender identity does not always line up with an individual's gender expression or gendered interests (that way lies gender essentialism). For example, I am a cisgender woman, my Sims game is 100% occult gameplay, I prefer my Sims families to be happy and drama free, and I don't tend to differentiate between male and female interests of careers when it comes to my Sims interests or work. I have female sims who have more traditionally masculine interests, male sims with more traditionally female interests, and vice versa. If EA is marketing towards cisgendered women in a gender essentialist manner (girls want girly things) then I would find that incredibly limiting. As it is the lack of content for male and masculine presenting Sims is already something I find frustrating and limiting.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2023

As a side note:
    Because of the more family/kid friendly direction of the Sims 4, I'm betting the next iteration of the game (Sims 5) will be even more geared towards that same demographic and will have hardly any (if at all) supernatural/occult/hi-jinks type of gameplay. We're already seeing that partially play out in the Sims 4 with such a lack of occult/supernatural DLC's, the reduction of humourous consequences.... and more importantly, the nerfing out of these things when they have been added because of the larger, louder audience demands on social media to get rid of them.
    Sims 4 suffers from the most major case of feature creep I've ever seen in the gaming industry. By the time Sims 5 comes out, Sims 4 will have so many features, expansions, packs, etc that it will greatly overshadow Sims 5 unless they introduce some truly unique and innovating content on release, bares bones at the start wont cut it.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    When was this survey conducted? How did the participants find it?

Anyway I'm kinda one of the minority players according to this survey. Ace and trans. We're out here.
    As a side note:

I think the 'us vs them' problem that has plagued the Sims 4 since the beginning is going to get resolved in the Sims 5 by simply omitting one side altogether. :|

Just my $.02 worth.

As an occult player, I hate that you're probably right... :/

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    When was this survey conducted? How did the participants find it?

Anyway I'm kinda one of the minority players according to this survey. Ace and trans. We're out here.

As an occult player, I hate that you're probably right... :/

You aren't alone. I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community too. I love occults, but I'm more concerned with the efforts of a minority of vocal bigots to erase anyone and anything LGBTQ+ or inclusive. Will EA stand by our side as they have so far, flawed as that stand may be, or will they cave to the bigots? They have stayed the course and included LGBTQ+ sims for as long as I can remember and I hope that never changes.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    as young adult gal I would like to take this opportunity to remind sims team that young gals love dragons and historical romance dramas ✨️

we also love witch hats and bands and hobbies

many of us also love men even if it might seem strange so it would be lovely to be able to create some more types of men

we also love watching crime stuff so burglars would fit into our sim universe splendidly
  • Options
    The demographics for the Sims 4 comes as no surprise.

Sims 1/2/3 had more supernatural/fantasy gameplay, silly hi-jinks, and comical consequences, so the demographic was a bit more varied (including a more mature age group). Whereas the Sims 4 has been watered down to accommodate a more family/kid friendly play style. That's the choice EA made with this particular iteration and we either accept it or move on. And generally speaking, females/feminine types tend to be drawn towards that type of gameplay (family, nurture, dressup, romance, etc), so of course that's who the largest demographic ends up to be.

Companies will market their games/products to the largest audience and cater to the loudest squeaky wheels. All others (outliers) will get a few crumbs tossed their way once in a while to keep them playing/buying the product too (albeit they're not the main revenue). But it's like this in every industry, not just the Sims and not just gaming.... figure out who your largest demographic is (or choose who you want as your target audience) and aim the majority of your products and marketing strategies in that direction to draw even more of that demographic in.

I guess I'm a bit of an outlier as a Sims 4 player because even though I'm a female, I'm not much of a family player. For a few hours here and there? Sure, but not constantly all the time. I'm more drawn towards fantastical adventures and comical pandemonium. So the supernatural, and silly hijinx aspects of the Sims 1/2/3/4 is what has kept me around for so many years... even though there's less of it in the Sims 4, I'm still enjoying the bits that we do have.

As a side note:

Just my $.02 worth.

Great post
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited July 2023
    I'm a little surprised by these numbers

Sexuality
    55 + 17 + 11 + 6 + 5 + 4 = 98%
    83 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 92% (nat. rep.)

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I'm a little surprised by these numbers

Sexuality
    55 + 17 + 11 + 6 + 5 + 4 = 98%
    83 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 92% (nat. rep.)

Things will not add up exactly to 100 with rounding. Plus/minus 2% is common.

For the nation rep, there could be omitted categories or answer choices could have been structured differently.