Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Players: 64% cis female, 21% cis male, 17% fluid/trans; 45% non-heterosexual

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,428 Member
sjwb09wohdd6.png
Source: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1029364/-The-Sims-Process-and

Stats for those that find them interesting. I would say nothing in this really surprises me except for only 1 in 5 Sims players right now is a cis male. That is lower than I expected.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• Options
    ryouma17ryouma17 Posts: 49 Member
    i dont know what a cis, gender fluid, pansexual or asexual is (and iam not sure if i really want to know) what i do know is iam a straight male who has been playing the sims since the sims 2 and i love the franchise (it has its ups and downs like anything else but i still love it)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,934 Member
    Hi @ryouma17 glad you love the Sims :) and there are plenty of other straight males here too.

Cis is short for cisgender. That means that the gender you were assigned at birth, your anatomy, your pronouns, your personal sense of what gender you are, and the gender others tend to perceive you as, all match.
    I am a cis female. Sounds like you are a cis male.
    Gender fluid means that one or more of those aspects of gender is not exactly either the typical male or female.
    (If it's just the anatomy that's not exactly the typical male or female, usually people use the term "intersex" instead.)

Pansexual is like bisexual, except the word emphasizes the ability to be attracted to people who are trans or gender fluid or nonbinary. Pansexual is a newer word, so there are plenty of people in earlier generations (like me) who describe themselves as bisexual because that's the word that existed at the time, but they do also fit the definition of pansexual. Using the word bisexual isn't intended to rule out people who aren't just male or female, it is just an older word.

Asexual means little to no interest in sexual intimacy. People who describe themselves as asexual might also be aromantic, or not.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,137 Member
    Well in that case I’m an:
    Ace/Cis/Fem/So.😉
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,478 Member
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for sharing, I watched the entire talk. Age was not taken into consideration it seems? Do multiracial identities fall under POC?

EDIT: Deleted the rest of my original ramblings.

I’m ______ 🧔🏻‍♂️ and I’m an avid Sims 4 player. 😁
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,423 Member
    There is nothing surprising in that chart, it just follows the general population demographics. I remember that in one interview they said their audience is mainly teen lesbians. I don't understand why simmers sexuality is so important for a game that doesn't have much woohoo or romance in it.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I'm at work and can't watch the video right now, but does it say anything about how exactly these statistics were created? Was there a poll that I missed, or does the game somehow assume your sexuality and gender identity based on how you play?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I don't understand why simmers sexuality is so important for a game that doesn't have much woohoo or romance in it.

It’s also nobody’s business.
    I'm at work and can't watch the video right now, but does it say anything about how exactly these statistics were created? Was there a poll that I missed, or does the game somehow assume your sexuality and gender identity based on how you play?

From what I understand these findings are based on a survey conducted of 18K simmers.
    I have in-game surveys set to active, but I’ve never encountered one like these myself.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    ryouma17 wrote: »
    when did sexuality become so complicated, whats wrong with simply being called a straight, bi, or gay person

ermmm....coz some of us are 'none of the above'.
    I may be ace IRL but Im forever shoving my sims into relationships. Doesnt matter if its with a sim I made, Vlad, Death or the Scarecrow.....they must all be happily shacked up!!LOL
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    I refuse to be called anything but 'woman' but this is falling into the realms of political so isn't really a subject for here is it?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,988 Member
    edited July 2023
    Yeah I find it weird that they ask
    then again it is no secret I guess
    except to my mom
    for she still has false hopes of my future
    mostly concerning many grandchildren
    who will never exist sorry mom

Gender?
    - Cis gal,
    no problems with being gal,
    then again I don't really care for gender in first place
    so like calling me dude or none makes no real difference

Woohoo interests?
    - None.
    (Asexual)

Romance interests?
    - Fictional characters I don't actually have to date
    (possibly Aromantic really, for reality really isn't so romantic)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,300 Member
    edited July 2023
    Honestly, I'd be more interested in knowing which players are spending the most money in The Sims.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Honestly, I'd be more interested in knowing which players are spending the most money in The Sims.
    *raises hand*
    at least if we also compare it to their bank accounts
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    They probably just use this for marketing purposes, and possibly content making decisions. Otherwise I don't see the significance.

The only thing I never understood is that everyone pretty much knows the sims have one of the biggest amount of female players compared to other games. So I always assumed that's why we barely get any "manly" content or masculine clothes. And that one modern men's kit we got was "too" modern for my men 😂😂
    But I would also assume that most of those female players want to make awesome male sims for their partners, or spouses or friends, or whatever the case.
    So the lack of manly things always seemed odd to me. Unless they are following the barbie pattern where Ken gets nothing and barbie gets everything 😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I wonder what the gender ratio was with respect to previous titles. The reason I got into The Sims 4 = The Sims 3, which I started playing about a year prior TS4’s official release.
    TS3 is a life sim that offers open world, cars and a world creation tool, which is something that I assume a majority of men would have a natural interest for. I did anyway. I expected Sims 4 to include similar features, which hasn’t happened so far, but I learned to appreciate the game for what it is now. I sort of fell into and rolled with it. It’s by no means a perfect game, but it suits my gameplay style and there are many features that I now prefer compared to similar ones that exist in previous titles, including graphics, build / buy, CAS and animation quality.

If however, I hadn’t been playing TS3 because it and other titles were simply non existent, I may not be playing The Sims 4 now.
    Its marketing is predominantly “female” focused, which is something I would naturally avoid, unless someone forced me to play the game and I would find out that it is in fact, a lot of fun. Which again, I believe it is, bar a couple of annoying things.

In conclusion, you’re all very lucky to have me here. 🤡
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Gender?
    - Cis gal,
    Same. I know what my sex is, most folks can tell at a glance what my sex is, but I as far as I’m concerned people are free to call me whatever they want, just like on that fine Thursday Morning when I got whisper labelled “non-binary” behind my back by a group of students, not so long ago. They must have assumed I identify as “non-binary”. They must have thought I was safely out of earshot too, but they were very wrong indeed - I have heightened hearing in my butt, you see. Till this day I’m still not sure how I qualify as “non-binary”. I don’t really know what that looks like. Surely, it looks nothing like me - although I’m always willing to learn.
    Anyways, I didn’t ask at the time - i had a more urgent business to attend to - but I was quite amused.

People can call themselves whatever they like, I respect that. We all have our reasons, whatever floats yer Sloop, even if I don’t always have a clue what everyone’s on about…and that’s ok.
    Ignorance is bliss and life is a mystery! Diddly-Aye-Dee-Oh !
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I wonder what the gender ratio was with respect to previous titles. The reason I got into The Sims 4 = The Sims 3, which I started playing about a year prior TS4’s official release.
    TS3 is a life sim that offers open world, cars and a world creation tool, which is something that I assume a majority of men would have a natural interest for. I did anyway. I expected Sims 4 to include similar features, which hasn’t happened so far, but I learned to appreciate the game for what it is now. I sort of fell into and rolled with it. It’s by no means a perfect game, but it suits my gameplay style and there are many features that I now prefer compared to similar ones that exist in previous titles, including graphics, build / buy, CAS and animation quality.

If however, I hadn’t been playing TS3 because it and other titles were simply non existent, I may not be playing The Sims 4 now.
    Its marketing is predominantly “female” focused, which is something I would naturally avoid, unless someone forced me to play the game and I would find out that it is in fact, a lot of fun. Which again, I believe it is, bar a couple of annoying things.

In conclusion, you’re all very lucky to have me here. 🤡
    Gender?
    - Cis gal,
    Same. I know what my sex is, most folks can tell at a glance what my sex is, but I as far as I’m concerned people are free to call me whatever they want, just like on that fine Thursday Morning when I got whisper labelled “non-binary” behind my back by a group of students, not so long ago. They must have assumed I identify as “non-binary”. They must have thought I was safely out of earshot too, but they were very wrong indeed - I have heightened hearing in my butt, you see. Till this day I’m still not sure how I qualify as “non-binary”. I don’t really know what that looks like. Surely, it looks nothing like me - although I’m always willing to learn.
    Anyways, I didn’t ask at the time - i had a more urgent business to attend to - but I was quite amused.

People can call themselves whatever they like, I respect that. We all have our reasons, whatever floats yer Sloop, even if I don’t always have a clue what everyone’s on about…and that’s ok.

You make a very good point! When I go and watch
    Advertisement videos and stuff for ts3 or ts2 in youtube, it seemed a lot more neutral in terms of marketing. There was nothing that I recall coming off as female focused. Seemed like a fun life sim for anyone who wanted to join the madness.
    I wonder why the target audience seemed to change with ts4. Not really a big deal but I do think they would draw in more male players if they shifted the focus a bit.

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options

I wonder indeed
    maybe those students just thought you were too cool for only one gender and therefore decided you are not bound by genders

at least what comes to my mind when I think what non-binary people look like :

cool looking people, wearing sunglasses for no apparent reason, while this music plays
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

actually I might have thought about nonbinary numbers
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    Romance interests?
    - Fictional characters I don't actually have to date
    (possibly Aromantic really, for reality really isn't so romantic)

Fictional characters are so much more fun.

I tend to think of myself as demisexual but I am generally attracted to fictional characters more than real life people. Then again, I so rarely get the chance to meet single guys, and the online dating thing makes me uncomfortable, so I'm not too sure how genuine my feelings are, and how much due to circumstances.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I wouldn't say I'm attracted to fictional characters, unless characters I invented myself also fall into that category. I'm currently writing a novel whose protagonist is basically my imaginary boyfriend, and it's not as weird as I thought it would be. As the title suggests, though, that imaginary boyfriend is and has always been male, so for the purpose of this poll that I never got asked to participate in, I'd still consider myself straight.

What can I say, real people are just so... meh, don't touch me. But ever since I played Detroit: Become Human, I've been fantasising about an android boyfriend at some point in the future. I wonder if society will come up with a new type of sexuality if that ever becomes a possibilty, or if gender identity as we know it will be a thing of the past by then, taking the concept of sexual orientation to the grave with it...
  • Options
    edited March 3
    @Mariefoxprice83

yeah and fictional characters are just so much more likeable
    cause if they're not you can just watch something else and never see them again :lol:

real people (and real life) comes with all kinds of problems I'd rather not have
    like mosquitos in your ear while you try to have romantic picnic in a flowery field 0/10 do not recommend have picnic in your room in your own bed alone while watching tv

also online dating is whole another bowl of noodles I have no interest participating in at all :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 555 Member
    As a twin I absolutely hate being called "they." I know nobody asked . . . I'm just saying.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,300 Member
    edited July 2023
    Another stat made by me :

87% introvert (Nat. rep : 50.7%)
    13% extrovert (Nat. rep : 49.3%)

(Based on 16 Personalities Test thread)
  • Options
    I wonder why the target audience seemed to change with ts4. Not really a big deal but I do think they would draw in more male players if they shifted the focus a bit.

It’s not a big deal to me either - I’m already in so it’s easy for me to disregard the marketing focus and just play the game as I see fit.

I will say though - it took them a suspiciously long time to add more “masculine” features to the game. The Modern Menswear kit felt like a real slap in the man-face at the time, not because I believe plaid miniskirts look absolutely ridiculous on adult male bodied individuals (I do think that, no offence) but because of its title “Modern Menswear”, a kit that was released before we even had a full bodyhair menu and nicely fitting, basic masculine clothes. I get the whole Ken thing, but this was getting a bit out of hand. They really made up for it when they introduced body hair, shaving and more masculine / gender neutral clothes in general. Calmed down, I have.

And I agree - I can’t see them drawing in too many new male players unless they shifted the focus. Then again, I’ve seen females scold males for wanting more masculine assets in the game: “All Triple A games are male focused, let us girls have ONE thing that has nothing to do with you.”
    Perhaps this is exactly the reason why Sims 4 marketing is the way it is. I don’t know what their motives are.

It is a shame that in general males are made to feel uncomfortable for liking toys / games that are typically aimed at females and so their social behavior will reflect this, whereas deep inside…they may just want to play house and dress up Dollies as well as build tree shacks and design massive killing machines with Lego Technic. Can’t we like both?
    If people are telling a kid: “you’re a boy and that’s for girls, stay away from that!” or worse: “if a boy likes girly things, he must be a girl”….well, that’s going to affect a young male’s view of the world and how he acts around his peers. Same goes for girls. I find this regressive and very dangerous.

I wish “gender” wasn’t such a big deal to be honest. We could do without all the gender stereotypes and gender labels in my opinion and instead just focus on self acceptance and being the best and healthiest person one can be. Then again, life shapes everyone differently so who am I to say what’s right and what’s wrong?

I wonder indeed
    maybe those students just thought you were too cool for only one gender and therefore decided you are not bound by genders

at least what comes to my mind when I think what non-binary people look like :

cool looking people, wearing sunglasses for no apparent reason, while this music plays
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

actually I might have thought about nonbinary numbers

Are you secretly accusing me of piracy? ☠️
    I believe those students were confused because I look like the masculine equivalent of Conchita Wurst.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    edited July 2023
    I wouldn't say I'm attracted to fictional characters, unless characters I invented myself also fall into that category. I'm currently writing a novel whose protagonist is basically my imaginary boyfriend, and it's not as weird as I thought it would be. As the title suggests, though, that imaginary boyfriend is and has always been male, so for the purpose of this poll that I never got asked to participate in, I'd still consider myself straight.

That's interesting. I write a lot and I've never consciously written anything where one of the main characters is my dream guy or anything, but I have definitely been attracted to some of them. The MC in the series I've been writing for the past few years is significantly younger than my ideal age bracket would be, and I definitely wouldn't have it in me to be a cougar, however, I do somehow have a crush on his boss. I decided the character has a friends with benefits relationship with a woman in the nearby town, and ended up with an unfinished side story about their relationship. It's supposed to be a reaction against the sickly sweet Hallmark Christmas romcoms, but I liked them so much as a couple that their sim versions ended up married when he retired from the army, and they now own a farm together. That character is very much a product of their fictitious world, though, and would absolutely not fit in our world.
    @Mariefoxprice83
    yeah and fictional characters are just so much more likeable
    cause if they're not you can just watch something else and never see them again :lol:

real people (and real life) comes with all kinds of problems I'd rather not have

Yeah. IRL relationships seem very messy. I like the idea of it sometimes but I'm not sure I'd be good at the reality. Cats are easier.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.