Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How family friendly should The Sims be?

There was a post on tumblr that made me think a lot.
It was about how family friendly The Sims should be and it seems that a lot of people (younger I guess) do not like it the way it is (going).
The Sims franchise is aiming for the younger generations and I don't think they can be baited with a game for kids without adult content.
A lot of this targeted generation even played The Sims as a kid. So why should they commence?
My idea is, to maybe give us an option? A pack for adults for example.
808f8b5fc170f51d23d88c0fcc70c721a9e0fdff.jpg
I also find it strange that violence and death (I'm over 50 years old and it still traumatizes me when I see a post on tumblr with a dead pet!) is shown more explicit...
4086e54285d2e92e3d91f58bd8023568ebb4ecb3.jpg
...than a kiss for example... yeah, if someone kissed me like this I surely wouldn't want another 'kiss' from this person...
(and the following is even one of the better kiss scenes ^^' sometimes their lips don't even touch!)
5731bc9a2e3ff22c5b520e3d84651ef3ed755a84.jpg
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

How family friendly should The Sims be? 138 votes

There is already too much spice and crime in The Sims to be family friendly!
3%
HomeMamaSimAlexandriaPotsaemollie1998Belalucina 5 votes
I'd like it more spicy!
30%
crocobauraicmnfrshIsb917CharlotteknBabykittyjadeblueyblueskyGracieO312LoriTSpsorokonozhkaCAPTAIN_NXR7OnverserChadSims2stephAnie1864DoodlyDoofusdoedearAgustín CornejoSheepilingMantleJackalBooDaBoo5DaniRose2143 42 votes
I'd like it more spicy/adult and would totally buy an adult pack!
22%
AlexairhaliusFigwitSusanaLeotencisGibbs02Cherryrose_xalanmichael1barracuda1574mlmeadowssclevenger08hellohannah2skybird14FinvolaChampandGirlieFreedomWantFraTacmetalfenix_RafLenny_OggLiELFMMX 31 votes
I don't care, I use mods to make the game more spicy/violent/adult.
8%
Sara1010PSimsILikeSimsMonaSolstraaleFlashMarkertaydevKathykinsEnkiSchmidtNikkei_SimmermysterionzNate_Whiplash1ChungyCaerfinon 12 votes
I like it just as it is.
21%
Jadeleinepisceschick75TheSpotted_Cmcruddsimgirl1010friendlysimmerscchant86SavorySageBariSaxyCarminejohnny33LewanaM00nRedDestiny92Horrorgirl6Atreya33SERVERFRASeashoreLiviaRememberJoyKellogg_J_Kelloggtelemwill 29 votes
Something else (let us know in the comments below)
13%
GalacticGalxoJessiDijktafoneCinebarcyncieOldeseadoggeLindaD2015SimsxZelda_fanShannonMarie_76Lady_BalloraCoconut27Metior_IcebrizgalGrimlyFiendishUmbreon12luciusstormfujicakes1SimmerMsAbbyIceman_ 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited June 2023
    All in for an adult pack! The game is already boring enough ^^'

Haha when your Kids turn 16 you'll gift them the adult pack for their birthday and all those awkward conversations lie behind us because Saiwa and Jeb will explain it ^^'
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I'd like it spicier, but not by much. Would be nice if we could remove the censor blur without a mod and have sims become intoxicated if they drink too much at the bar, bring back the cake dancer, go-go cage, strip poker, bachelor party entertainers, etc.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2023
    I think about ts2 dirty is good level of dirty when it comes to woohooty romance interactions

I often feel disgusted by the woohoo scenes and unneededly long makeout on tv shows
    and I don't really want to make it that dirty in my game cause ew get a room:sweat_smile:

but ts4 really should at least be same level as ts2

nudity I do sometimes think the pixel areas could be smaller
    because some of our clothes in the game show more than when the sim is naked so that is tad silly

then again no desire to look at vlads parts when he takes a bath
    thats also too much info im not sure I want to have that much info

crime and violence I actually had mods for once
    but the thing is it gets very depressing when everyone is axe murderer
    so meh

I do think occults should be able to kill sims though
    like vampires completely draining sim
    or mermaids pulling sims under and sims dying
    or werewolves fighting your sim possibly ending with sim dying

doesn't have to be any more gore than it is
    but it would be nice to have some interactions with chance of death sprinkled in

getting mauled by Greg was good addition
    but i wish sims could get slightly punched up from normal fights too
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    I wouldn't mind some small changes here and there, but I'm happy with the game as it is. I wouldn't want the teen rating to change or the quirky nature of it.

I would prefer adult themes to be reserved for mods. I'm afraid even an adult pack would change the nature of the game too much. Admittedly I prefer the old fashioned "fade to darkness" approach in movies too. So perhaps I'm a bit on the "unflirty" side.

I enjoyed sharing the game with my children as they grew up and hope I can share it with my granddaughter also.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2023
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I feel that the charm with the sims is that it's supposed to have adult things from life while showcasing them in an approachable way. Like how it does it with "woohoo" for example. It's often more about how it's presented than the subject matter, there are games that can feature quite a lot of these things and still keep the teen rating.

Personally I would like for the sims to be a bit more adult and feature less censoring and less cartoon animations and instead be a bit more realistic, it should still be possible to keep it within the rating.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    It's T for teen, not G/E for General/Everyone. TS4 lost everything that made the Sims the Sims.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    Even though I haven’t played much sims 2, I know for sure that I prefer the “spiciness” of that game.

Personally I don’t need an adult pack since I use a bunch of NSFW mods anyway (spicy & horror etc.) for story telling purposes….🫥
    We’ll never get that level of spiciness in the sims anyway and in my opinion it doesn’t belong there either - to be honest- I’m alright with what’s currently there, although I’d be happy enough with more romantic foreplay interactions such as bed cuddling and whatnot, before our sims disappear into woohoo land. No need to rush it, darling.
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    I honestly would like less death, less of all the violent jazz, because that does traumatize me - I mean I love horror movies and stuff so that may be kind of weird but again it's a fantasy game or whatever, I guess that's the difference for me. I wouldn't mind the love stuff being more spicy - it's not necessary but I wouldn't object. Not quite as spicy as real life though because I'm not really into that - dunno if I can say that word.
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    also maybe just some lot challenges with burglars and loansharks and gangsters and evil occults etc. showing up at your sims houses would be good addition

like you could totally turn it off if its too much but wouldn't it just be cool if you say turned on werewolf attacks lot challenge and gang of gregs would then sometimes show up to fight your sims or destroy your house or something
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I'm fine with the Sims games as long as they stay T for T,and they don't include insensitive things (like the Shrink from Sims 2). Keep the Sims rated T,not E or M.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    edited June 2023
    I think it needs a little more. I guess just making things look more real and with more consequences for some actions. Some have been said above already. Things like:

- Drinking from the bar could make them visibly more intoxicated the more they drink. Then they could just 'pass out' like they do when they are over tired. Be nauseated and maybe ill for the next 6 hours or something...

- Fights with visible wounds, death by vampire etc.

-Strippers for bachelor parties. Could trigger a bit of anxiety and jealousy from their partner on the day.

- Burglars so need to be a thing again. The richer the household the more likely it is to happen.

- I'm fine either way with the nudity censor strip but maybe have it as optional?

In fact, all of these could be toggled on or off in settings to keep it personal for those that want it.

EDIT to add: The only thing I would say is that breastfeeding needs the censor removing. It is a beautiful and natural thing and it doesn't need to be hidden. Heck, wear a scarf or something as covering. Censoring is silly in my opinion.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    I think that is the main thing, that it would be nice to be able to select whether you want things or not - have the violence or whatnot optional. I would truly like having that in-game rather than needing mods for it. I don't mind using mods at all, but still it would be nice if ea understood that players have different desires for their gameplay. They already have that for some things - why not make it for all of the things that people may or may not want in their game?
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I'd like more romantic spice and less violence and death. I may be in the minority on the last two. I automatically give all my favorite sims a dislike for mean and mischievous interactions. There's more than enough death and violence in the real world and my sims worlds are meant to be an escape. As for the spicy love stuff, I use WonderfulWhims. I have on several occasions used the sister mod which cannot and shall not be named here. But if you know, you know which one I mean.😉 I stopped using it when I started sharing screenshots on here. It would be my luck I'd miss a sim in the background doing something definitely verboten.😲🤣
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited June 2023
    ACR (autonomous casual romance) mod from Sims 2 is a great example of what should have been in the game. Wohooty calls, sofa woohoo, enhanced attraction system, more autonomous romance of your active playable sims, townies in the world engage in autonomous romance, etc. It doesn't cause nudity or any overt woohoo acts - it's very much in the spirit of the game but kicks it up a notch.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    Sims 2 spicy is what I think the game should be leave the adult stuff to mods. The game is so tame now in older Sims games if your Sims spouse cheated they would slap them silly now they chat it up best of friends now sure we could find a middle ground from slapping to being best buddies but they rather do nothing now to show emotion through game play.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I played both The Sims and Grand Theft Auto as a child, but my parents chose to consent to let me rent whatever game I wanted from Blockbuster so I could play them with my older stepsiblings. I don't necessarily think a rated Teen game should be trying to make the game friendly for 10 & under children to play. If a parent chooses to allow their children to see media like that, then it's the parents choice. And if another parent wants to have their children only playing rated E games, they shouldn't have to be worried about a game with woohoo being marketed to their kids.

I've played multiple iterations of this franchise, I personally like the balance of 'spice' Sims 3 had. TS4 seems more tame in comparison, and for Sims 2, imo the cutscenes and animations can be a little much (the romantic ones anyways, I don't really enjoy seeing sims grabbing each others behinds). But I don't think it should be so family friendly that burglars were cut out of base game. I like being able to choose which sims are going to be virtuous and which sims will make chaos.
  • Options
    Hated_by_FantaHated_by_Fanta Posts: 9 New Member
    Maybe a bit spicy, just some of the sims interactions on too tame, like catching your sim cheating, they just get sad and mopy there isn't really a "fight" that there should be.

Occults!
    Vampires being able to drink people dry
    Mermaids being able to drown others or like sirens being able to lead other to their death. I think that would be pretty cool
    Werewolves randomly mauling people and each other to serious hurt or kill

I don't mind the censorship of nudity though maybe this could be made an optional feature for those that don't want it. There should be more spicy interaction like one night stands or flings. Being able to make drunk mistakes. Having animation so we can see that our sims are intoxicated and how it gets worse or funnier the more they drink.

Bring back burglary! That was always a good part os TS2
    Having gangs and loanshark which options to have it turned off in the setting if starts to become something that people no longer want within the game. Or making it so that they only interact with lots that have a "criminal" trait. So then it's not as random.

Give me Strippers for hen and stag parties. While I'm at it just add 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and pimps to? Though that may go too far for some.

Really is just depends on people taste and what they want from the game. I think may of the things I've mentioned could have a setting when it can be turned off or on.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited June 2023
    Whoops, I meant to pick option B.

The Sims 4 has always been subject to criticism over it being too juvenile compared to its predecessors. While the game doesn't have to push the T rating to its limits, let alone step over to M-rated territory, but including edgier/spicier content similar to the older games shouldn't be too much of a problem, censorship-wise. Most people seem to agree that the Sims 3 generally strikes a solid balance of spicy content without it being too NSFW.

Implementing some sort of parental lock/control system in the game should be a solid compromise for both players who want the original uncut experience and sensitive players, reducing the chance of alienating either fanbase.
  • Options
    BethTS4BethTS4 Posts: 111 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I do think occults should be able to kill sims though
    Same. I mean...chickens and rabbits can kill Sims but not the Occults? Lol
    NGNB-8EuRwCJ0he-_czY2g.png
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I would love more spice along the lines of Sims 1 and 2.

I definitely think a pack is fairer. That way, those that don’t want it can just ignore it.

@BethTS4 I always find it weird a rabbit or chicken can kill a Sim but not a vampire! 😂
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    I like it just as it is. We have the option to create the darker natured sims in the game too and this is one of the games that can be played together with children without the fear of something being too bad for their eyes. To make it little more exiting could be to add more battle skills like some kind of martial arts for example. You can kind of do battles with witches for example but for realism players martial arts would be great and something kids practise too.
  • Options
    FreedomWantFreedomWant Posts: 49 Member
    I agree with everyone else about bringing back the previous sims games spiciness level back. I also like the idea of toggling on/off some of those settings. I use adult mods, but not always. Sometimes it gets to be a little too much and then I take them out.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I don't want it to be inappropriate or "adult", but when I was growing up it was totally normal to have innuendos or more risqué themes in things that kids could play. I simply didn't understand those references because I was 9. I think nowadays people overestimate how much kids actually understand and how much needs to be hidden
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    edited June 2023
    This sort of thing should always be up to a parent to judge. I know the game developers want as big an audience as they can get though.

I have played Sims 4 in front of my daughters who are 4 and 7 years old. My 4 year old loves seeing the infants and babies and doesn't bat an eye lid about anything else. My 7 year old loves the pets and I actually talk to her about the kids being good and doing their homework, or being naughty and making a mess etc. She does ask what they are doing in the bed or 'when the hearts are there' if she does spot any woohoo-ing in the background. She doesn't even need to know what that is yet though. :D They are just messing about because they love each other.

She has asked me if she can play. The only thing stopping me is that I know that she wouldn't understand the control mechanics enough, nothing in the game play puts me off letting her. Even if there was a little more graphic or 'suggestive' stuff in there, with toggles it would be fine. Breastfeeding and even top censors gone wouldn't bother me either. EDIT: Bottom censor might make me a bit uncomfortable, I think I would get some questions from that one. Bad enough if she goes round her cousins and witnesses them peeing standing!!
    She knows what vampires 'are' and 'do' so if that were a thing I don't think it would freak her out. I would probably have that toggled off myself anyway to be fair.
    Drinking too much 'funny juice' at the bar wouldn't bother me either. She has seen me on the very rare occasion the morning after a few too many. I am honest with her about it! Maybe I am a terrible parent!! :D I don't think she would even understand what was going on anyway!

To be honest I think she would be more upset about her pet dieing than anything she may or may not see that is a bit too spicy! And she can always turn off ageing... so why not this other stuff too? ;)
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I don't care, I use mods to make the game more spicy/violent/adult.
    I don't really have a horse in this race, all I want is for the game to be less judgy.

Martial arts fights should have a winner, c'mon, brawls have a clear winner, as has darts, so why can't martial arts?

An even worse offender are the text calls that condescend my sims for having been in a fight. Not even initiating it, just having been part of it. Yes, some of my sims are bullies, but their friends are the same, so the game putting words to the effect of "be nicer!" in those friends' mouth is out of character. And, yes, I attacked another sim, but that one had sneaked into my apartment and made a snack of my sim's family, had the attacker not been awake.