Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    After watching the trailer I feel really underwhelmed, and I went in with low expectations.

Sure the horses themselves look well done, but... They were well done in TS3 Pets, which came with dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, a huge world and more.

I see an empty-looking world full of shells which looks pretty but otherwise lacks gameplay. Where have we seen that before...

I was at least hoping for some small surprises such as rocking horses for kids or the mechanical bull, but... Alas.

Obviously this is only a first impression and more details will be revealed as well get closer to release, but at the moment it looks... Shallow.

The only features that I see in this pack are horses... The rest are minor extra features. Get Together and Seasons is like this. The Major feature are the Clubs and Weather. Everything else revolves around it. Yet, it manages to expand the game because no matter what is your playstyle, your gameplay will always impacted and can be impacted by those features. Meanwhile, horses? I can't think of anything that it can help expand the game. This could have been a game pack without a new world and nothing will change.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    I feel like they need to do something really really different next time though.

Agree, I really want the next pack to be something totally different. Apart from werewolves all the big packs from the past two years have been farmville/happy family type content, which I know a lot of people love so I'm happy for them but I really want to see something a bit less happy valley.

I think it's time for maybe something more urban, or something based on a new country and culture, or something that's more whacky and experimental.

This has honestly been my sentiment for awhile now. The last pack I had been legitimately excited and ready to buy day one was Werewolves. Not only for the new lifestate, but because it brought some much needed chaos to the game that I cant get enough of. With the last 3 EPs being very domestic and tailored for a happy family playstyle and now Horses to add to it, Ive honestly lost a little interest in the game. Id like a pack with a bit more grit, a little bit more edge. (Or maybe another world with a full blown city like San Myshuno PLEASE). The back to back packs with the safe, domestic theming is just turning me off a little bit.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    How stupid me imagines a native american associated with the new expansion
    ef3f8ad1c128c4519143663c40a2aab73ce8cec3.jpg
    The reality
    b7cd04824599685b416d075f9d631a18f4633267.jpg
    How the Sims Team imagines a native american associated with the new expansion (involved in a drinking scene of all possibilites...)
    9a263a2a242830e3dd0b5e39090d9828191a99b5.jpg

They also imagined a beautiful native american riding horseback during the opening scenes. And they imagined a happy native american child playing with a goat. That they imagined a native american talking to a friend in a bar, considering bars are a main community lot in every expansion, isn't really surprising.
  • Options
    manicpot8tomanicpot8to Posts: 222 Member
    I love how in the trailer they always show these festivals/parties/get-togethers/etc fun lively events with lots of sims having fun when we all know it's gonna be like 2 sims showing up to an empty area :|
    28dul88f8gdo.png
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why miniature goats/sheep came with this pack. It really feels like they added them to try to qualify this as an EP instead of a GP.

I see what you mean but I do also see a genuine reason to add them if they’re going for an authentic ranch experience. A lot of ranches have these sort of animals. They sell their wool/hair and they’re often used to entertain kids like in the trailer.

I get what you mean too, but it will never sit right with me the business model for how DLC for this version of The Sims is made. It just saddens me since i've loved the sims since i was a child. Thats the main gripe I have. I get them having to "flesh it out" but the sims 3 was still able to do that in a one-off all encompassing EP, so I guess it's really just my personal preference for how they create DLC. I know they are two different games, but sims 4 is still the successor of TS3, so I give my comparisons and critiques.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    For everyone wondering why it’s not a game pack: I cracked the code
    Animals = expansion = $$$$
    Occult = game pack = $$$

They must have done some research and figured out simmers will pay more money for animals
  • Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    edited June 2023
    To be honest I was not impressed at all with the trailer. It just seems so shallow. Well, even more so than the previous packs.
    This does not look like an expansion pack at all. It should be a game pack and we would all be happy about it. But an expansion pack? Hell, no.
    Nectar making seems cool, riding a horse seems cool, but other that that what?
    I believe we will have 1 or 2 town events like all the expansion packs so far and that is it. It has become so repetitive, when what we really need is something to surprise us content-wise. Like in the Sims 3.

And where are the unicorns?
  • Options
    AzukiMochiAzukiMochi Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2023
    Eh, I'm not going to be very nice about this pack, which is actually very rare for me. So rare in fact, it's at the point where I have unpopular positive opinions on most packs, as I'm easily impressed. So when someone as easy to impress as I am is finally feeling disappointed in the game, it's bad.

I don't see the point in this pack. It's just a rehashed, Americanized version of Cottage Living, with three things that should have come with said pack. Horses, goats, and sheep. I think a second farming-esque EP is unnecessary and just another cash grab (and an overpriced one at that). I mean, me being me, I'm just as guilty for giving in to exactly what they want me to do, and will probably get the pack. My OCD about getting every pack doesn't help either. But still, even if it's hyped by the big YouTubers, I'm skeptical. Not about the quality, but for the *point* in it. Whatever makes them more mula. The nectar stuff or whatever would work just fine as a stuff pack, or even kit. *Maybe* a game pack if you add the world. But again, whatever makes them the most money I guess.

Not only that, I've been getting the feeling they're starting to mash weird, unrelated things together, just to make an excuse for it to be a more expensive pack. Seriously, what does nectar making and horses have to do with each other? What's the point? You see what I'm getting at?

I'm not very excited, and for the longest time, I hated seeing or feeling a bunch of negative things or reviews about Sims 4 packs when there were several aspects I loved, even in a hated pack. This is likely only the second time I'm outwardly criticizing a pack for its very existence, the other being Batuu. There is just no point for this to exist! Again, yeah, probably still going to get it, and even enjoy it to an extent (at least I hope I will, since I'll be paying $40 freaking dollars), but that's not going to change my views of it.

I don't doubt the EP will be fun in its own right, but I'm disappointed in it all the same, regardless of the enjoyment I get out of it. I will likely have positive things to say about its quality; but for it's necessity, not so much. It's a weird dynamic with me. I can both love and hate something at once. xD

On the whole, I'm 80% disappointed, 20% intrigued.
    giphy.gif
    I be obsessed with faeries. As well as mermaids.
  • Options
    HeidiHSHeidiHS Posts: 2 New Member
    As a rider IRL I have been hoping for a horses for the longest time. When it leaked I got so exited, like a child for christmas!
    But I just saw the trailer and mostly I feel dissapointed.

The horses are... weird. What's with their eyes? They're too big!
    Both the horses, goats and sheep looks to clumsy to me - like the game creators were in a hurry, when they made them.

And why do they hold the reins in that awful manner, when they ride? When they make an expansion about horseback riding the least they could do is to make the Sims ride in a realistic manner.
    And why are all the bridles bitless? Even though I dream of a world, where we all ride bitless, its not how it is out there in the real stables.

... and... can the children ride? In the first leak there was a picture of a child riding, but no children in the trailer...
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    The world looks like StrangerVille 2.0. Just without the orange hue.

I would have loved a Cowboy and Indian theme. You could make your own Wild West story.

Are the horses tied to the world?

Definitely more of a game pack. I’ll wait for more info and gameplay videos.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Without reading the rest of the thread because it's so long my first and only negative thought so far was that they've once again split another pet feature off into it's own pack.

Because right now what we've got in the way of animals off the top of my head is;
    -Cats and Dogs
    -My first pet stuff
    -Country living

and now this will be the fourth one. I'm excluding anything that just added a few pet items to the bunch from the list because the major draw wasn't pets/pet related stuff.

I could sort of handwave this if I felt like the packs we get were as fully fleshed out as previous iterations expansions and DLC were but they aren't. Really logically speaking Cats and Dogs should have included the stuff from my first pet stuff and should have had birds as well, and country living should have included horses. Or better yet these four packs should have been one full pack and then country living should have been a farm town focused pack.

They really are so money focused though. It's a shame. I do miss the actual effort and love poured into the game in the sims 1/2 era.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    edited June 2023
    I'm glad horses are finally here but it's kinda strange to release such similar concepts, kinda more GPish.. also I kinda realised that the last GamePack came out a year ago. isnt that a very, very long time ago? In that time we got a lot of kits & a bit more frequent expansion pack releases & the mostly free baby update
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I'm really neutral at this point. I'm not so a fan of horses in general, and like others already said, if they are taking a householdspot without increasing the size or seperate the animals from the family, this is a "don't buy it unless I really want a specific item" reason to me. I don't like that animal which I can't directly control take a precious family spot. As far the published news has shown, I don't see the reason why this is an expansion pack and not a gamepack? A western desert world, yeah could be nice, but all these fake buildings decrease the fun of a new world. May later news bring more informations.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am confused as to why nectar making was included in a western world. Wouldn't Tartosa have been more appropriate. I just don't see cowboys sipping on wine at the end of the day.

I wish they had done more to make the overused bar venue exciting. Maybe if a pool table were added and/or a mechanical bull.

I'm disappointed that the trailer didn't show children riding horses. I'm glad we have it in the picture, but it would have been nice to see it confirmed in the trailer. Are there any assets or activities for children besides clothes?

I feel like there's not much to do in this pack other than animal related stuff. There doesn't even seem to be a new career. Do we have any new hobbies like basket making or weaving?

Maybe it's because of the leak that the trailer doesn't seem exciting. I was excited for the pack before, but I expected the trailer to add new information.

Not that all my feelings about the pack are negative, but this is the negative thread.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I do think nectar making would have fit better in My Wedding Stories or even Dine Out. Very random decision to add it here.

As much as I know people enjoy having new worlds in packs, it really does feel like they take way too many resources from packs in the Sims 4 (didn't take as much in Sims 2 and 3 cause both games had world creator features) which doesn't leave much for other features.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hiiii everyone! Hope all is well <3
    Yeah I do understand this pack seems to focus more on the horses and horse ranches, but what I am kind of upset and disappointed with is the fact that yet again people are complaining "this should have been on Cats and Dogs/Cottage Living" and "this should have been a game pack"...this is like the third time in a row I have noticed how people are saying these things, first one was with High School Years, second time was with Growing Together, and now Horse Ranch...yikes. While I understand people's concerns about there not being enough features/content for an expansion pack like this one, I still prefer this approach to something like shoving a big animal like horses into Cats & Dogs, which was INDEED titled after the 2 main animals, cats & dogs, and I still 100% believe they TRIED to add them for that pack back in 2017, but they ran into coding issues or they simply didn't want to rush it out just yet...also the Cottage Living card is a lame excuse, because that pack was focusing on cottage living experience, farming, exploring the nature, and so on, while Horse Ranch focuses on the ranch living experience. People seem to confuse horse ranches with horses with cottage living where they may have some farm animals like chicken and cows or a llama. I am not surprised but I am definitely disappointed with people always using the lame "this should have been..." card, or the "this is an overpriced game pack" one. Are we sure this is all the content we will get? Nope. I am currently waiting for more information before I feel safe enough to preorder the pack, if I love this game, it's my right to buy packs for it too, the same for everyone else. I do not understand why is it surprising for non-The Sims gamers that this game is very successful and big and popular. While I do understand the concerns for this pack and future content and any other issues with the game, I still feel hopeful that the awesome devs and SimGurus are doing their very best to respect everyone's wishes for this game, and I will never stop hoping for great new content and much needed changes and improvements for this game. Have a great day everyone, much love! <3
  • Options
    Just444MyaaJust444Myaa Posts: 1 New Member
    I just don't understand why we still don't have functional cars yet but we're getting horses. NOBODY WANTS HORSES!! WE WANT FUNCTIONAL CARS!! Honestly a car expansion pack would be cool.. a driving school, a car lot, a car wash etc. but no we are getting horses that could have been in cottage living.
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    The only thing that gets me intrigued is the CAS items. The rest.. is just a big Meh, I'm not a fan of horses, or the other animals. And the town seems so... small. It's a skip for me.

Unless they make the chaps as accesories and not as a full suit... If only...
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    NOBODY WANTS HORSES!!

I just "love" every time this argument is used.. "nobody" indeed :D

my negative: horses taking household slots, what has not been extended, if I understood right :( Thats bit bad thing :(

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    NOBODY WANTS HORSES!!

I just "love" every time this argument is used.. "nobody" indeed :D

my negative: horses taking household slots, what has not been extended, if I understood right :( Thats bit bad thing :(

Yea ever since they confirmed horses will take a household slot, I am kind of dissatisfied as long as the SimGurus will confirm they did not change the cap for the household member limit. They 100% should up it, including for the Sims themselves. Should be at least 10 Sims Max, as well as separate 8-10 for the household pets, i.e. cats, dogs & horses. I am praying they can fix this household limit problem soon. <3
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Hiiii everyone! Hope all is well <3
    also the Cottage Living card is a lame excuse, because that pack was focusing on cottage living experience, farming, exploring the nature, and so on, while Horse Ranch focuses on the ranch living experience. People seem to confuse horse ranches with horses with cottage living where they may have some farm animals like chicken and cows or a llama.

I've been saying this since the beginning. Cottage Living and Ranch Living are two entirely differently things. Horses and all they've included with their different disciplines, barrel racing, jumping etc do not really fit in the Cottage, living off the land and putting your vegetables in the fair vibe. I was bummed when they didn't come with "pets" but even that I understand, because again "Cats&Dogs" are very common pets people own and they fully fleshed that out and made a nice pack, despite my negative feelings on that pack as well. Horse Ranch living is a different ballgame then just owning a horse as a pet.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    I'm surprised no one mentioned why sheep are ridiculously small and their sizes aren't realistic they decided to make them same size as cats so they don't have to make new animations for proper sheep sizes 🙄
  • Options
    graventhe wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one mentioned why sheep are ridiculously small and their sizes aren't realistic they decided to make them same size as cats so they don't have to make new animations for proper sheep sizes 🙄

Apparently they are miniatures, which is an actual breed. I looked it up when the leak dropped about mini goats and sheep. They do look very similar to the real thing. However, you are most likely correct in assuming they choose mini ones instead of standard size sheep due to animations. lol
  • Options
    [/quote]Yea ever since they confirmed horses will take a household slot, I am kind of dissatisfied as long as the SimGurus will confirm they did not change the cap for the household member limit. They 100% should up it, including for the Sims themselves. Should be at least 10 Sims Max, as well as separate 8-10 for the household pets, i.e. cats, dogs & horses. I am praying they can fix this household limit problem soon. <3[/quote]

Ya this is my biggest complaint so far with this pack. If they don't fix the household limit it will make the pack pretty much unplayable they way they intend it to be played. Alot of talk about raising and breeding horses but you can only do that if you have no family or other pets. Which I don't know, when I imagine a ranch I imagine family and at least a ranch dog.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2023
    Haflinger wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I had to go to an offsite to see a picture of the expected pack. The horses are too fat. The orange horse (Maxis' idea of brown) with the kid riding it has a horrible mesh. Body mesh looks awful. It looks like the legs were added at the last minute. And... No muscle tone at all. They almost look like a first time modder's try at making a 3D model. Bulky, yes, farm plow horses are bulky but just look at that orange horse mesh....it needs help.

It’s a bay though, not brown. Friend of mine had a bay Arab that was pretty orange. Maybe muscle tone will be a fitness thing for horses? My gelding is positively round (ok so he’s a cob type air fern) compared to say, a racing fit Thoroughbred

I guess my big gripe seems to be that all the horses are running around in sidepulls. Would have to see the trailer to be totally sure (and there’s technically nothing wrong with a sidepull because my mare had one, it’s just a bitless bridle) but is it that hard to model a bit?

Also not too crazy about the desert world. Was hoping for more of a Montana grasslands type (y’know for steppe prairie for some historical saves). Meh.

Never mind. I was going to post a picture of the scene I'm talking about, but it has been removed from the internet and replaced with a different picture. I captured the pic but it wouldn't post and when I go back to find it again it's been replaced. lol

ETA: I'll give them some credit (lol) the trailer is interesting; the big bay is a good example of a better 3D model where the person creates it with their phone and then rides it through town etc. However, I don't see how this qualifies as an EP but it very much seems like a GP to me. As a GP I could see how those who wanted horses would be excited for it, but as an EP it seems very sparse. But Maxis has been doing things that way for the past three or four years now. Less for more money. What justifies this as an EP. A world? I have to say the Sims in the trailer seem bulky too. Is this a new thing in TS4? I don't remember Sims looking so blocky and bulky when I was playing this game many packs ago.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.