Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I am having mixed feelings about one feature. Not fully negative, but not really all that positive. As I typed I became more perturbed and confused. So I'm quoting it here.
    It's the bottom part
    LSM36 wrote: »
    LSM36 wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the trailer on Thursday! Honestly, I love all the exciting build up before a pack as much as actually getting a new pack.

I'm so happy that all of you who wanted horses are getting them. I'm also happy to see a child on horseback! It looks like the Sims team is listening to us.

The world looks more northern Arizona to me than the southern desert area. I'm a little disappointed that there are no cacti 🌵, but eager to learn more about the world.

They put them in that road map sign so I'm still holding out. I really want them. Especially for all the delicious foods you can make with cacti. My mom was raised in Arizona and I've never been. I know she missed it. So this world is pretty cool. Yeah I was very open to a non-American world. Or like a huge world with different regions having different designs. But this is nice too. And my sims get to try the foods I haven't yet. Living vicariously.

I think my big positives for this are horses duh. I think I'm a horse girl who has never really gotten the chance (minus one traumatic embarrassing moment as a child at a fair) to actually ride one. Which is why one of my actual dreams is to have enough land to have horses. But also bc I'm hoping and praying for cross pack integration that brings some supercool magical steeds. As well as unicorns and binicorns once we have fairies. I think pegasi should exist already for spellcasters. Those brooms are a menace.

I'm also excited for the nectar. For the mini goats and sheep. Hoping we can make cheese and other things. Like we can make it on the stove from cows milk so let us make more types. And hopefully we get more preservation and canning options from this. Like jerky. They didn't mention any crafting methods in the leak like sewing. Would be nice to make our own chaps. But who knows? I think we're in for a really interesting time.

Oh one thing I forgot, this is more something I observed and am still determining my feelings about than a positive or a negative. The addition of cookouts as a pack thing. They mention it with dances. The dances seem kinda cool not gonna lie. Probably will totally break, but I admire the enthusiasm. The cookout thing has me on the fence.

For a long time we only really had dinner parties, then we got the "Cookout Senario" from what I believe was last Juneteenth (not the one 2 days ago), and I think either right before or after that there was just a BBQ one, now we also have family reunions from GrwT. It seems like it'll probably use similar mechanics to what's in Growing Together.

But I really don't know how I feel about that being behind a paywall. It was odd enough that it was a scenario and not something that could be done all the time. I don't even think it worked when I tried it. So I am glad to have cookouts in here. Especially ones that aren't just linked to family reunions. Honest there should be both Cookouts and BBQs, because in the Black community at least those two things can be different. And both are different than a full on family reunion. It'd be nice to plan a BBQ event just for friends. A cookout with immediate/close family and myb some friends who get the invite. And then you have your annual family reunion.
    We've literally got so much BBQ stuff, all that's missing is a smoker, and a different kind of pit from the one for Sulani BBQ.

I think it's good that cookouts are coming. But I think it needs to be basegame. For both things I mentioned. And that whatever cookout they throw in this pack needs to be a different kind. Maybe a bigger ordeal. Or maybe they should've called it something different. Since they already acknowledged the term before for something they only did temporarily. And now brought it back behind a paywall.

I have mixed feelings. Probably gonna quote this in the negative thread.

Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,220 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    It's okay if you don't agree, but this is the negative thread for a reason, I am expressing my feelings on the pack. I know this is not you trying to pick any kind of fight and just have a discussion, but I do not want to discuss, I am just here to express my concerns with the pack/game. It is okay that we have differing opinion, but I don't want someone trying to "reason" with me on why I shouldn't feel the way I do. I do hope the pack is enjoyable and I am glad that others do find the pack exciting though.

Oh okay your right I am sorry.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    It's okay if you don't agree, but this is the negative thread for a reason, I am expressing my feelings on the pack. I know this is not you trying to pick any kind of fight and just have a discussion, but I do not want to discuss, I am just here to express my concerns with the pack/game. It is okay that we have differing opinion, but I don't want someone trying to "reason" with me on why I shouldn't feel the way I do. I do hope the pack is enjoyable and I am glad that others do find the pack exciting though.

Oh okay your right I am sorry.

It is okay! 💚
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    After Oasis Springs and Strangerville, this is the third american desert world.
    This planet is so big and fascinating and they don't find another inspiration?
    The western theme also just doesn't do it for me.

Plus I'm also worried about the size of the household. Cats and dogs really shouldn't count as household members.
    We can't do nothing with them anyway. Same for horses if we can't control them.

And I also agree that this is not enough for an expansion.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Meh.. Another predictably bland pack. 500th boring American world that's much the same as worlds we already have, seems like a horses game pack boosted to an EP through recycled content and things that could've been in Cottage Living. Just doesn't seem like there's much content at all, or like much imaginations gone into this. It just feels very "safe" to me, nothing majorly new or different just more sameness. :|

Really want to see a pack announcement again at some point and feel excited because it's new and totally different and seems like a lot of fun, everything's just felt a bit same old, same old in the last few years.

Hm... there has not been a horse ranch pack announcement yet... isn't it a tad early to ditch the content? I know we are all eager to get the best for our games, but I'll at least hang on till the trailer release tomorrow, and even longer ;)

I mean the full pack description has (presumably) already leaked, maybe horses will be amazingly executed? Even then for me it's a bit disappointing as we already have two full expansions and a stuff pack around animals, so that's $130 in total for animals in a game...
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Neefer wrote: »
    The fact that they separated different types of farm animals and made them different packs irritates me. I want to be excited, but I am not at all, because The Sims just feels like a cheap cash grab now. We had cats & dogs in one pack, then in another we have cows, llamas, chickens, foxes, and rabbits.. now we need a third for horses, goats, and sheep? It's just depressing at this point.

I understand why they do it, but as someone who has played The Sims since the day the original came out, this has become such a slap in the face.

Don't forget we had the little gerbil pack early on with hamsters in the Sims 4. In the Sims3, all animals were together(except farm ones) with Unicorns and you could collect small animals from the wild and keep them in cages and interact with them. They even had pet rocks and ant farm. It also came with it's own store.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    My worry is the lots. In the other pack we got that was farm/animal related, there were really no huge lots and with animals there should be. There should be several lots to live on and at least two should be 60x60. The Sims 4 team is really stingy with lots. The vampire world and witch world were small and the first two hoods in the whole game had several families and lots and lots coming with all EPs are small and there aren't many of them. If they can't give us lots, then they should give us another free neighborhood with a few 60x60 and some 50x50 lots as well as others. I can't make my dream ranch when the lots are soooo small and that's a no brainer. We should get a variety of lots even if they are empty along with some smaller ones too. I try not to go on the negative threads, but we need large lots.

Also, if they can make horses, they should've had unicorns like in the Sims3. I don't see anything, so not sure they will make them or if they will save the unicorn and make some kind of castle pack with unicorns using resources from this pack.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited June 2023
    For me, my opinion adding horses will not make me like Sims 4 any more than the level it is at now. I rather have editing tools than horse and again that is my opinion I am glad LBYU is coming and if it can supply me with Horses and good editing tools then I will spend my money on that. Other than that it is same ole, same ole.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,220 Member
    I guess my only complaint is how the sheep sounds like a human imitating animals.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Not excited about another desert world. Horses exist elsewhere, not just in the desert. Not excited about a western theme. I don't have much interest in buy/build or CAS for that theme. But I haven't seen what they have to offer yet. Maybe somethings will be nice.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,137 Member
    I actually have mixed feelings about the Horse Ranch world. On one hand, it’s Appaloosa Plains again😛 & on another hand it’s another Desert world.😴
    (FYI: there’s already three Deserts worlds. Oasis Springs, DS Valley & Strangerville)
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    I guess my only complaint is how the sheep sounds like a human imitating animals.

I wish they would have included normal sheep, not a miniature version. Cottage living was perfect for sheep. It would have fitted the world better. And now for a second time we don't get normal sheep.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I will be honest but I am really tired of "Environment/New ways of Gardening" Packs. All of it feels to Similar to my tastes.

If we compare the first Six Expansions of The Sims 4, we get expansions that have different themes that for me add variety to how I play the game. Get To Work have new fresh careers and even business management. Get Together developed the social dynamics of Sims in the World. City Living added a new metropolis to live in as well as different lifestyle we can immerse our sims to which is the city. Cats and Dogs added pets that can change how we play the game depending on how you play it. Seasons literally overhauled all worlds with the new weather system and then Get Famous added reputation which affects how sims will live their lives now that every other people have perceptions of who they are.

Meanwhile, Eco Lifestyle? I mean we already have Island Living and Seasons that promotes the clean the world and help our environment. I mean isn't one of the marketing of Island Living was to clean the Island to save nature? Also a focus on gardening as well. Cottage Living? Another pack focused on improving gardening? Didn't we have that in Season, Island Living and Eco Lifestyle already? Now Horse Ranch. Its basically cottage living but with horses rather than cows.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    My concern is them reusing the same playground equipment in these expansion packs. There's things they could add as playground equipment but they don't. Where's the see saw, slide, pull up bars and rocking horses. I'm tired of the monkey bars and play ships for the children. We have like 23 worlds and the main playground equipment be monkey bars in the public space's. I know they could create more for our sims.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    Y'all, the sheep and goats aren't babies. They are fully grown miniatures. These breeds exist in real life. The miniature goats are especially popular in my area.

I didn't know this lol but it kinda makes it seem worse? They probably started off as the newborn stage but ended up cutting the grown up stage so they decided to just have them the mini breed.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member

This is what most games do, the cats and dogs were also voiced by humans but mixed with the actual animal sounds.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited June 2023
    My main gripe is as usual, a full EP from Sims 3 split into three (or more cause we still don't have pet birds). People say 'I'd rather have horses be more fleshed out' but horses were actually implemented pretty well in Sims 3 and were still in the same pack as cats, dogs, rodents and other small pets.

I do get why it's an EP and not a GP though, lots of animations + world = EP budget in Sims 4.

Also it does seem like just a continuation of Cottage Living's theme.

I'll reserve the rest of my thoughts for after the trailer is out.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I feel like they need to do something really really different next time though. So base an expansion around something long requested like cars or hotels.
    Id love to see hotels as it is something that would add unique gameplay and also the potential for 1 or more really exotic worlds.
    (just no more pets for a while please?......unless its a birb kit pack!, I could be persuaded for that!!LOL).
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I personally hope that if we see horses in other worlds, that they have riders, and are not just wandering around alone. I mean it would be nice to have a lot trait for horses or horse riders to hang around the lot, otherwise I don’t want to see strays everywhere. That’s my opinion…
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited June 2023
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    My concern is them reusing the same playground equipment in these expansion packs. There's things they could add as playground equipment but they don't. Where's the see saw, slide, pull up bars and rocking horses. I'm tired of the monkey bars and play ships for the children. We have like 23 worlds and the main playground equipment be monkey bars in the public space's. I know they could create more for our sims.

Good point. We get the same playground equipment over and over again. But what bothers me even more is that there still isn't any toddler playground equipment in the base game. Toddlers were added in January 2017, so we have had more time with than without toddlers. After all these years toddlers are still ignored for public playgrounds. The only toddler playground equipment came with one single stuff pack and the early buyer rewards for growing together which are no longer available to get.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2023
    I had to go to an offsite to see a picture of the expected pack. The horses are too fat. The orange horse (Maxis' idea of brown) with the kid riding it has a horrible mesh. Body mesh looks awful. It looks like the legs were added at the last minute. And... No muscle tone at all. They almost look like a first time modder's try at making a 3D model. Bulky, yes, farm plow horses are bulky but just look at that orange horse mesh....it needs help.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited June 2023
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I actually have mixed feelings about the Horse Ranch world. On one hand, it’s Appaloosa Plains again😛 & on another hand it’s another Desert world.😴
    (FYI: there’s already three Deserts worlds. Oasis Springs, DS Valley & Strangerville)

DS valley is not a desert world. It is supposed to be a city. And they should have had some beach lots there. They made DSV way too small for the type of world it was taking after. It didn’t have beach lots, or middle class lots, just the small number of city lots, 3 older neighborhood lots and 3 very large rich lots. It was disappointing that it wasn’t a sizable world with more variety like it should have had.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 517 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I personally hope that if we see horses in other worlds, that they have riders, and are not just wandering around alone. I mean it would be nice to have a lot trait for horses or horse riders to hang around the lot, otherwise I don’t want to see strays everywhere. That’s my opinion…

Maybe it’ll be like Cats and Dogs, so with wild horses roaming only in the new world, but you’ll only have them in other worlds if you actually buy/adopt them there.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »

It weird to me that children don’t have a stand alone slide, or a swing/slide combe since we already have the animation.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 974 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I had to go to an offsite to see a picture of the expected pack. The horses are too fat. The orange horse (Maxis' idea of brown) with the kid riding it has a horrible mesh. Body mesh looks awful. It looks like the legs were added at the last minute. And... No muscle tone at all. They almost look like a first time modder's try at making a 3D model. Bulky, yes, farm plow horses are bulky but just look at that orange horse mesh....it needs help.

It’s a bay though, not brown. Friend of mine had a bay Arab that was pretty orange. Maybe muscle tone will be a fitness thing for horses? My gelding is positively round (ok so he’s a cob type air fern) compared to say, a racing fit Thoroughbred

I guess my big gripe seems to be that all the horses are running around in sidepulls. Would have to see the trailer to be totally sure (and there’s technically nothing wrong with a sidepull because my mare had one, it’s just a bitless bridle) but is it that hard to model a bit?

Also not too crazy about the desert world. Was hoping for more of a Montana grasslands type (y’know for steppe prairie for some historical saves). Meh.