Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Little Details from Older Games You Miss

As we know, all four games have little touches that make the game interesting or endearing, but don't necessarily appear in other versions of the game. Think of Sims who were romantic partners snuggling together in bed in The Sims 2, for instance. Another example is that in The Sims 1, people who were invited over always brought something: a little box of chocolates or a vase of flowers, for instance. What other examples from the different games have you noticed?

Comments

• Options
    ZerelthZerelth Posts: 35 Member
    I really miss the graphic details from the Sims 2, such as the couch moving when you jump or the waves in the water after diving from a board, Sims taking utensils from cupboards while cooking... and so much more
    xn2jilzetfiu.pngshe/her
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    edited April 2023
    Zerelth wrote: »
    I really miss the graphic details from the Sims 2, such as the couch moving when you jump or the waves in the water after diving from a board, Sims taking utensils from cupboards while cooking... and so much more

And the 'pop' of lightbulbs in The Sims 1 when they blew! I don't think it happened with sconces or ceiling lamps, just the original table and floor lamps.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    There is soooo much in TS2. For now, will content self with the very many group activities available from children upwards, the adult dance with children being particularly cute.
  • Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member

Sims: I miss the random surprises like the dancer coming out the birthday cake, the bear going into your trashcan, the clown attached to the painting, etc.
    Sims 2: The cut scenes and characters/scenarios that appeared during big events and motive/aspiration failures
    Sims 3: Sliders (I do not like the clay molding)
  • Options
    Sims: I miss the random surprises like the dancer coming out the birthday cake, the bear going into your trashcan, the clown attached to the painting, etc.
    Sims 2: The cut scenes and characters/scenarios that appeared during big events and motive/aspiration failures

The music that played when the sim came out of the cake was hilarious. I'd forgotten about the fun cutscenes! (For some reason, Sims 2 won't let me use ANY custom content on Windows 10, so I haven't played it since 2018.)
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Sillyhartluv the tragic clown is in Sims 4. There is a painting with him that when viewed gives a sad mood and also a chance he will appear as NPC in the game. I believe there are gameplay videos on the tragic clown in Sims 4 on Youtube if you want to check into it.
  • Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Sims1: The potion to make the gnomes come alive. :) The chance cards for work.

Sims2: The cut scenes for having a baby and the alien abductions.

Sims3: Open world, CAS

Sims4: Visiting any place without having to move to the town.
    :) Smile!

• Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    @Smellincoffee I haven't played Sims 2 since 2010, but I remember the disappointment I felt when the cut scenes weren't in Sims 3.
  • Options
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    Sims1: The potion to make the gnomes come alive. :) The chance cards for work.

Sims2: The cut scenes for having a baby and the alien abductions.

Sims3: Open world, CAS

Sims4: Visiting any place without having to move to the town.

The only problem with TS1 chance cards is that they were pre-determined, so if you stayed in the right career slot for long enough (the IT start-up developer, as I remember) you could really make bank. I preferred TS2's more random cards. I never tried to make the gnomes come alive! My MM experience was really limited...I just liked making minigolf courses.
  • Options
    popcorn52popcorn52 Posts: 15 Member
    I co7uld do the royal kingdom challenge easily. I'm trying on sims 4 but my computer is burping
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Sims 2 was definitely ahead of its time. If I could pick one, it would be the animations. If you pay close attention to the way your sims interact with each other or another object, it is far more detailed. They pull objects out of cabinets and pull the TV away from the wall to repair. The devs must have spent a lot of work on those animations, and it is a work of art! In later games, these interactions are much more dumbed down, which is unfortunate.

Fun fact is someone did a few youtube videos a few years ago about all of the subtle features of the game. It is a good watch if you are interested.
  • Options

The music that played when the sim came out of the cake was hilarious. I'd forgotten about the fun cutscenes! (For some reason, Sims 2 won't let me use ANY custom content on Windows 10, so I haven't played it since 2018.)

That's odd. I play TS2 UC on a windows 10 computer with lots of CC and have no problems. No mods (yet) though. Sorry for you.
  • Options
    Sims 2 was definitely ahead of its time. If I could pick one, it would be the animations. If you pay close attention to the way your sims interact with each other or another object, it is far more detailed. They pull objects out of cabinets and pull the TV away from the wall to repair. The devs must have spent a lot of work on those animations, and it is a work of art! In later games, these interactions are much more dumbed down, which is unfortunate.

Fun fact is someone did a few youtube videos a few years ago about all of the subtle features of the game. It is a good watch if you are interested.

Have seen it at least twice and heartily second the recommendation. Even learned new things from it.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    The occasional fourth wall breaks in Sims 2. When you'd tell them to do something they didn't really want to do and they'd look at "you" and make a face and do the sullen walk. Or you'd tell them to pose and pan the camera around them and they'd follow "you" with their eyes. It was both creepy and funny.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    Miss it
    ds8frp4jmpj2.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    Forgot the most important part in the Sims 4 Wants & Fears update
    mkwewrsditxo.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    ProvidentiaProvidentia Posts: 25 Member
    I miss karma from the Sims 3. I liked I could just have a meteor storm or rain money. I also miss having robbers.
  • Options
    Forgot the most important part in the Sims 4 Wants & Fears update
    mkwewrsditxo.png

And the aspiration perks! I'd forgotten all about those until watching CallMeKevin's latest TS2 video and doing a double-take. A few of them were overpowered, as I remember, but one of them was REALLY useful -- Family sims with the right perk could rescue kids from the social worker.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    edited April 2023
    The animations for reparing items in the Sims 2 were so much more detailed than the two games that came after. I'll use my favourite witch with a computer over her time in three games as an example.

If I told my Sim to repair an object in the Sims 2 they'd often turn it around to get to the back components in the case of a TV or computer and then work away, as a bonus if they stopped repairing it midway they'd leave the computer still turned away for later.
    JBEcZT2.jpeg

Then in the Sims 3 they took a lesson in absurdity and started stabbing things head on with a screw driver instead.
    RKrAQxG.jpeg

By the Sims 4 they whip out a tablet that somehow now fixes broken, smoking, BSOD'ded computers? I guess its making slightly more sense than stabbing the monitor with a screw-driver
    le8i0Om.jpeg

The repair animations also applies very well to non flatscreen TVs, speaking of TVs, flatscreens falling off your wall and breaking very, very rarely. If that was in TS4 it'd probably happen every other day.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Still stabbing with the screwdriver. Not how one fixes a circuit board.
  • Options
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    The occasional fourth wall breaks in Sims 2. When you'd tell them to do something they didn't really want to do and they'd look at "you" and make a face and do the sullen walk. Or you'd tell them to pose and pan the camera around them and they'd follow "you" with their eyes. It was both creepy and funny.

@lisamwitt Yeah. I have been noticing that more and more. You tell your sim to do something and then they start looking directly at you.
  • Options
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    The animations for reparing items in the Sims 2 were so much more detailed than the two games that came after. I'll use my favourite witch with a computer over her time in three games as an example.

If I told my Sim to repair an object in the Sims 2 they'd often turn it around to get to the back components in the case of a TV or computer and then work away, as a bonus if they stopped repairing it midway they'd leave the computer still turned away for later.
    JBEcZT2.jpeg

Then in the Sims 3 they took a lesson in absurdity and started stabbing things head on with a screw driver instead.
    RKrAQxG.jpeg

By the Sims 4 they whip out a tablet that somehow now fixes broken, smoking, BSOD'ded computers? I guess its making slightly more sense than stabbing the monitor with a screw-driver
    le8i0Om.jpeg

The repair animations also applies very well to non flatscreen TVs, speaking of TVs, flatscreens falling off your wall and breaking very, very rarely. If that was in TS4 it'd probably happen every other day.

@Sorak4 This is what I was referring to earlier. Look at the amount of animations that went into repairs. Also look at that image of yours from TS2. Even the back of the computer shows a bunch of real life ports and exhaust fans.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Hot chocolate maker, pottery wheel.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I miss the toggle interactions that are in between another action already taking place. Ts2 seemed more smart that way even tho they can’t multitask. For example: when sims were slow dancing, you had toggles to kiss, head on shoulder, or move hand to their back lol. Little details like that make the game SO fun to me because it helps with making sims feel connected. I love little details, because it makes the Sims feel more alive and actually living their own lives (even tho i’m telling them to do it).