Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Assign NPC careers

Hi, anyone who likes to make their own npcs/townies know how to make them when the role is linked to a specific location? I use the cheat "careers.add_career [career] [id]", but with jobs like bartenders, gym trainers and librarians it does not work as I would like. After the last patch I could overcome that using the NPCC mod that let you assignt the jobs to specific locations, but now that the mod is broken I am trying to figure out how to make it without mods, only with cheats.

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited March 2023
    It's not possible by using the career cheat code.

I don't know if it's still true now, I remember that the game hires the latest unplayed sim added to the world if the traits and skills match to the job.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I use this mod: https://www.patreon.com/posts/assign-npc-jobs-73945932

I use the part that stops random sims from spawning. In order to get the NPC I want at a certain venue, I do the following:

- Get rid of any NPCs currently working there.
    - Add my NPC to the game.
    - Go into a played household and use the mailbox to give my NPC a role.
    - Take a sim from a played household to the specific venue that I want my NPC to work at.
    - As long as the game can't create random sims, the NPC I want should show up to work there, during that shift. I avoid going to a venue until I have added and set an NPC for the role there, otherwise you might end up with unemployed sims, like Greg, in the role.

-A lot of venues have 3 shifts and you can do the above during each shift to get the NPC you want.
    -Cafe baristas work differently, you can assign them the same way but baristas will show up at any and all cafes and cannot be set for specific cafes. It may work to have several baristas if you have multiple cafes to you don't see the same ones all the time.

I hope this helps.

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Indeed, librarians, bartenders (though not Cottage Living's Pub Owner), gym trainers, fishersims, and it also seems like Eco Inspectors tend to lose their career and thus could require a mod to fix.

That is indeed so annoying...
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Indeed, librarians, bartenders (though not Cottage Living's Pub Owner), gym trainers, fishersims, and it also seems like Eco Inspectors tend to lose their career and thus could require a mod to fix.

Several venues have its own employee. There are also several shifts.

For example :
    Gym have 2 gym trainers (Working hour : 5am - 3pm and 3pm - 12am)

In my game Moose Dubros is a gym trainer from 5am - 3pm at the Willow Creek gym. He never lose his job since 2019.

Gym Trainer requires Active trait and Fitness skill
    Librarian requires Bookworm and Neat traits
    Fisherman requires Fishing skill
    Bartender requires Mixology skill

Note : Neighborhood Stories is also disabled.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Gardener and Fisherman require to be Adult or Elder (not Young Adult).

And Grocery Delivery, DJ and Stall Vendor are allowed for Teen. (not allowed in sim filters)
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm using the assign NPC mod by Zero atm.
  • Options
    jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member

For example :

In my game Moose Dubros is a gym trainer from 5am - 3pm at the Willow Creek gym. He never lose his job since 2019.

Librarian requires Bookworm trait

Awesome! I did not know about the shift hours, only that some venues had more than one employee and I hadn't figure out why.

RedShoe7 wrote: »

I use the part that stops random sims from spawning. In order to get the NPC I want at a certain venue, I do the following:

- Take a sim from a played household to the specific venue that I want my NPC to work at.
    - As long as the game can't create random sims, the NPC I want should show up to work there, during that shift. I avoid going to a venue until I have added and set an NPC for the role there, otherwise you might end up with unemployed sims, like Greg, in the role.

-A lot of venues have 3 shifts and you can do the above during each shift to get the NPC you want.
    -Cafe baristas work differently, you can assign them the same way but baristas will show up at any and all cafes and cannot be set for specific cafes. It may work to have several baristas if you have multiple cafes to you don't see the same ones all the time.

I hope this helps.

I will try this mod, I did not know about it, only the NPCC. But it seems to work in a similar way, right?
  • Options
    jupkmn wrote: »

For example :

Librarian requires Bookworm trait

Awesome! I did not know about the shift hours, only that some venues had more than one employee and I hadn't figure out why.

RedShoe7 wrote: »

I hope this helps.

I will try this mod, I did not know about it, only the NPCC. But it seems to work in a similar way, right?

Yes, it does. I heard about NPCC first and tried it. But then it was locked behind a paywall forever so I looked for something else and found Zero's.
  • Options
    Tm855Tm855 Posts: 3 New Member
    For people using Zero AssignNPC mod - is there any other specific requirement for it? As I cant see any sims when I select assign in the mailbox.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    I think it can only be done with Mods and even then I’ve heard mixed success stories. They have set up Townie npc generation and townie job assignments in a way that doesn’t give you control.

The best I’ve found on console is rather than make your own townies from scratch, to do the full edit CAS mode and redesign the ones the game generates directly from the live mode.

In some cases this will allow you to permanently change some townies with career. My strangerville military people are all ones I overwrote and I think it works with some of the older professions too. But sometimes your new sim will just go home and they’ll be replaced by another new townie.

I hope they change the whole townie system and do this better in sims 5, it’s really annoying you can’t just assign the bartenders etc.
  • Options
    Tm855 wrote: »
    For people using Zero AssignNPC mod - is there any other specific requirement for it? As I cant see any sims when I select assign in the mailbox.

There are some requirements for assigning some roles. When you click on the mod after clicking a mailbox, there should be an option with some information about some roles, like service roles require sims to be in single sim households. You can also check on Zero's website for more info.