Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    I feel like the only one who had their enthusiasm dropped by the trailer and presentation. It seems more like an open world platform to show off modding capabilities than an actual game. It feels more Second Life than The Sims. Given that the Early Access release is only six months away, the footage looked like it belonged to a game way earlier in the development process. Aside from the jankiness which will probably get buffed out (hopefully), the world is so dead, again, early in development, it could change.

The lack of "rabbit holes" gives me pause, while others here are like, "yay! I can finally watch my sim check emails for eight hours", and I like that retail services are not locked behind a rabbit hole, I'm concerned how this is going to play out. The Sims 3 worlds, while pretty, they were dead, especially worlds such as Bridgeport and Roaring Heights, which are supposed to be urban. What is the cap of people going to be? 200? 300? And all these people are going to spread out doing their own thing?

It seems like the dev is going down the Roblox(?) route of getting modders to build all the content, while

All the focus seems to be on the distracting bells and whistles, and little on the actual gameplay itself.

Maybe I'm an overly negative and pessimistic person. Sorry for rambling, I hope I made my points across clear.
    I think we need to keep in mind sims 3 came out in 2009 .Over ten years ago , computers are more powerful now.The other thing is the game is not complete.They are planning the game be on early access.For a whole year.So the game will be finish in a year and six months .Also the specs of the game are high.Tgere defenatley not trying to make this game run on low spec pcs or laptops.
    Exactly pcs 12 years ago don't come even close to what is out now but even then Sims 3 was so limited it could only use 32 bit even if you had 64 bit to expect any game created now to run so poorly or be forced to have such a low population cap seems weird.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,239 Member
    edited March 2023
    Classic style (TS1/TS2/TS4) vs Modern style (TS3/LbY/PL)

I still prefer The Sims "classic" style, I hope Project Rene will keep this style.
    In term of Rotational play, it's more comfortable to manage.

I don't like Open World because it's 1 world = 1 theme, I can't get suburb + downtown + beach + mountain + countryside at the same time.
  • Options
    deedles64deedles64 Posts: 149 Member
    I feel like the only one who had their enthusiasm dropped by the trailer and presentation. It seems more like an open world platform to show off modding capabilities than an actual game. It feels more Second Life than The Sims. Given that the Early Access release is only six months away, the footage looked like it belonged to a game way earlier in the development process. Aside from the jankiness which will probably get buffed out (hopefully), the world is so dead, again, early in development, it could change.

The lack of "rabbit holes" gives me pause, while others here are like, "yay! I can finally watch my sim check emails for eight hours", and I like that retail services are not locked behind a rabbit hole, I'm concerned how this is going to play out. The Sims 3 worlds, while pretty, they were dead, especially worlds such as Bridgeport and Roaring Heights, which are supposed to be urban. What is the cap of people going to be? 200? 300? And all these people are going to spread out doing their own thing?

It seems like the dev is going down the Roblox(?) route of getting modders to build all the content, while

All the focus seems to be on the distracting bells and whistles, and little on the actual gameplay itself.

Maybe I'm an overly negative and pessimistic person. Sorry for rambling, I hope I made my points across clear.
    I think we need to keep in mind sims 3 came out in 2009 .Over ten years ago , computers are more powerful now.The other thing is the game is not complete.They are planning the game be on early access.For a whole year.So the game will be finish in a year and six months .Also the specs of the game are high.Tgere defenatley not trying to make this game run on low spec pcs or laptops.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm happy when devs are not making their game geared towards the lowest common denominator of PC specs (or insisting that the game be playable across PC, Mac, and multiple consoles). The former leads to constraints and the latter may complicate development.

It's not unpopular with me. For those reasons I saved my hard earned money so I could buy a better PC.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,198 Member

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm happy when devs are not making their game geared towards the lowest common denominator of PC specs (or insisting that the game be playable across PC, Mac, and multiple consoles). The former leads to constraints and the latter may complicate development.

I happy too , a bit concern.My refurbish game compute has all the min game requirements for life by you.It has two of the recommended requirements.So I am glad that can run it.
  • Options
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Exactly pcs 12 years ago don't come even close to what is out now but even then Sims 3 was so limited it could only use 32 bit even if you had 64 bit to expect any game created now to run so poorly or be forced to have such a low population cap seems weird.

Sims 3 can mostly be play on my laptop.Keep in mind I don't install all the pacs on that one.But it does run better than the first time I install it on my laptop years ago.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member

I wonder if this is one of the reasons I'm not seeing much chatter or excitement across social media. Maybe a lot of existing simmers know they won't be able to run the game on their computers. I've also seen some disappointment from Mac and console players.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I don't know if Time Skip will be used a lot but it's an interesting idea.

The preview show 1-week time skip, the family fund decreased and the characters moved.
    I'm curious to know how it affects the story progression.

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,721 Member
    edited March 2023

I wonder if this is one of the reasons I'm not seeing much chatter or excitement across social media. Maybe a lot of existing simmers know they won't be able to run the game on their computers. I've also seen some disappointment from Mac and console players.

I'm seeing people from the Cities Skylines community being excited about it, so I think we will probably see a mix of reactions from people from different communities as the game is being developed.

It feels like the life simulator community have been mostly restricted to the sims where people play mostly the sims and don't share or talk much about other games so maybe now the community will open itself up a bit more and are maybe interested in buying a computer that can also play other games.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Or Mac players will choose Paralives and/or Project Rene.

Nobody buy a computer because of 1 game when the whole life is on Mac or console.

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2023
    I personally am not a fan of the art style of this game, but the gameplay, customisability and supported modding tools from the outset definitely have me interested.

ETA: I pre-ordered via Epic Games to get in early. UK price is £34.99.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,405 Member
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Many players don't understand English, the Conversation system will be an obstacle for them.

LbY early access will be in English. Later French, German and Spanish will be added.

The Sims is available in 18 languages :
    1. English
    2. German
    3. French
    4. Russian
    5. Polish
    6. Swedish
    7. Italian
    8. Dutch
    9. Norwegian
    10. Danish
    11. Finnish
    12. Brazilian
    13. Spanish
    14. Czech
    15. Chinese (Simplified)
    16. Chinese (Traditional)
    17. Japanese
    18. Korean
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I don't expect Life By You to match the Sims on every single metric.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member

And personally I don't think it's needs to. It's is own game, just in the same genre. I don't think I lot of simmers realise that. Paralives and Life by You are not going to be the same as Sims and you will have to decide for yourself if sticking to Sims, moving on completely, or playing them all is for you. The more the merrier I say 😆

I'm very exited. Tired of the same formula The Sims has had for decades. I want something new and fresh and I just hope simmer won't ruin it be demanding the same things they demand of the Sims of these new games.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Tired of the same formula The Sims has had for decades.

That is always a source of tension inside the communities no matter the franchise.
    There are those who prefer the "original" formula and those who prefer the "reboot" version (new formula).

In the case of Devil May Cry, the "Original" won this fight despite the success of the "Reboot".
    I regret it because I never liked the "Original" but I liked a lot the "Reboot".

It's risky for Maxis to change the formula, the other studios have more freedom to do what they want.
  • Options
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Yep, things will likely be different. Expectations should be changed 8d7uvmldfd0l.jpeg
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Each gaming platform has its own unique strengths and weaknesses, so games should be tailored to suit. To attempt a one size fits all game will wind up pleasing nobody and aggravating everyone.
  • Options
    cholesterolcholesterol Posts: 21 Member
    I don‘t know what to think of no rabbit holes. At first I was like „Yay“ but now… I don‘t know. I can‘t imagine them implementing deep gameplay mechanics for every job or every building that only serves a small purpose, e.g. changing your name at the town hall.

The conversation system, real age… I‘m not a fan. I wonder how the real-language conversations will work with volume on. Will some voice AI read the lines or will there just be silence?

I‘m concerned that they haven‘t settled on an art style yet. The visuals need a complete overhaul. It looks like a asset flip game right now. No offense.

It rubbed me the wrong way that they didn‘t show any gameplay. It‘s like they‘re trying to hide something. Rod seemed very excited and passionate. The game however looked very lifeless and sterile unfortunately.

I love the customization options. I love the open world. I miss it dearly. I‘m not going to preorder because I refuse to use the Epic Game Store but I will follow the progress very closely.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2023

And personally I don't think it's needs to. It's is own game, just in the same genre. I don't think I lot of simmers realise that. Paralives and Life by You are not going to be the same as Sims and you will have to decide for yourself if sticking to Sims, moving on completely, or playing them all is for you. The more the merrier I say 😆

I'm very exited. Tired of the same formula The Sims has had for decades. I want something new and fresh and I just hope simmer won't ruin it be demanding the same things they demand of the Sims of these new games.

Nope I've already seen players demanding representation and telling them they are not showing enough diversity, asking about wants and fears, likes and dislikes, and pretty much everything we have in the sims series. I'm like why not just play one of the sims series then? Simmers literally don't want anything new, unique or different 😩. And the only reason most simmers are even interested in this is because they are hoping for a sims 3 meets the best of Sims 2+4.

I don't have any personal interest in this game myself because everything I love about a Sims game is in ts4. (And more to come🥳🥳)But I do like following the news out of curiosity,and I see players are doing the same to this that they are doing to paralives. Just let it be it's own unique game and see what creative idea the devs have in mind for it. 🙂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2023
    I could be wrong but I also personally believe that people over estimate the power of modern computers. I do not believe a computer can handle top notch graphics, sims 3 open world, color wheel 500 sims in zone, and all the complexities people want in a sims game. Computers no matter how new they are just can't handle it.
    And the open world ultra graphic games we have are not sims games. The level of complexity cannot be compared.

I agree with the poster in here that says this seems intended to be more like roblox. They provided the base and tools and modders will make the game.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Have finally seen the video. Thank you, logion, for providing it. Fully agree with everyone that the sim animation is very clunky and needing a lot of work. Much of what was seen reminds me very much of TS2, for me the gold standard of Sims games, which is very promising. That and the open world, but no rabbit holes, suggests a this is a blend of the concepts of the first 3 Sims games. The other game that am reminded of is Bioware's 'Neverwinter Nights'. That game shipped with the very toolset the developers used to make it, and these folks are doing the same thing. As one who took full advantage of that toolset, can say they are unleashing great creative power into the hands of the players. The conversation editor sounds exactly like that of NN, including the use of scripts, which not only makes for amazing conversations, and not only between two sims but multiple ones, but can trigger actions. Am tempted to say this game has the potential to be as revolutionary in our time as TS1 & 2 were in theirs. Am hoping Paradox takes full advantage of that.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited March 2023
    I was being nosy and looked at the Epic Game Store to see if I could find anymore juicy tidbits of info and I noticed something

i7Iu7VF.png

So if I'm understanding that correctly, there will be "English" AUDIO? But for the other languages it will only be in TEXT?

Also someone on Reddit posted a screenshot from an advertisement that popped up on their screen for the game, NOTICE THEM GRABBING THE DOOR HANDLE OF THE CAR!!!!
    3VJ7IDY.png

Just like with cooking, I noticed that when the guy transferred the food to the plate, he actually scooped it up with the spatula and placed it on the plate!
    wtBJkIe.png

When the girl turned on her Laptop at work, the desk lit up when the screen came to life!
    x91nDc9.png

It's the little details like these that have me soooo super excited!

Also, someone on Twitter noticed the game rating is listed as: Pegi 16
    zEJ7zdu.png
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I also personally believe that people over estimate the power of modern computers. I do not believe a computer can handle top notch graphics, sims 3 open world, color wheel 500 sims in zone, and all the complexities people want in a sims game. Computers no matter how new they are just can't handle it.
    And the open world ultra graphic games we have are not sims games. The level of complexity cannot be compared.

I agree with the poster in here that says this seems intended to be more like roblox. They provided the base and tools and modders will make the game.

What specs are your computer?
  • Options
    I was being nosy and looked at the Epic Game Store to see if I could find anymore juicy tidbits of info and I noticed something

i7Iu7VF.png

So if I'm understanding that correctly, there will be "English" AUDIO? But for the other languages it will only be in TEXT?

Also someone on Reddit posted a screenshot from an advertisement that popped up on their screen for the game, NOTICE THEM GRABBING THE DOOR HANDLE OF THE CAR!!!!
    3VJ7IDY.png

Just like with cooking, I noticed that when the guy transferred the food to the plate, he actually scooped it up with the spatula and placed it on the plate!
    wtBJkIe.png

When the girl turned on her Laptop at work, the desk lit up when the screen came to life!
    x91nDc9.png

It's the little details like these that have me soooo super excited!

Also, someone on Twitter noticed the game rating is listed as: Pegi 16
    zEJ7zdu.png

Thank you for posting! The more bits I learn the more impressed I am with this. Stumbled upon a review of the trailer that also included some in game screenshots. Let's just say the reviewer was bubbling over with surprise, delight, and the opinion that EA now has some serious competition.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'm loving the little details they actually open the car door I can't stand animation short cuts get them all the time in Sims 4 like the dish washer opening itself I don't play my Sims as having the ability of telekinesis neither should the game. I know we have 6 months to the early access and a while after until full release but I'm liking the effort put into detail so far one of the things that made me love Sims 2 you could actually watch a game of chess not pretend one was happening.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top