Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seventeen & Maldusk: A Supernatural Soap Opera

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @GlacierSnow I made you some, uh, fan art, hope you don't mind XD
    399127497.jpg

914779397.jpg
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @mightysprite Oh my gosh this is amazing, I ALWAYS think of Lying Cat when I see Paladin!
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited January 2023
    @SnowBnuuy
    So did Paladin use some kind of Force Persuasion on him?

Yes. "This isn't the gullible blue alien you're looking for. He can go about his business. Move along."

@mightysprite
    :joy::joy::joy: Perfect. Thank you.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy woot another Lying Cat fan :)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 14 is ready!

Main page link

Chapter index link

Reuben's mistake comes back to bite him.
    SAM-C14-Reuben-Chap-Link.jpg
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Chapter 14!
    My memory of the chapter this one related to is a bit hazy so if anything sounds weird it's because I'm dumb. Of course they rely on the vampire to cover everyone's shifts...Vampires need rest too, big boss man! Reuben comes across as a (mostly) organised guy who is surrounded by disorganised people both at home and at work. Oh darn, I wondered when it'd come back to bite Reuben in the backside...Ooh and now he's buried the evidence so no-one will ever find out. Thing is even though Reuben was protecting someone (if I recall correctly) if he gets caught, it'll come back to him and the other guy would likely get away with it anyway. I wonder if Reuben would ever leave his job and look for something else. His own line of justice doesn't mesh with his job, and everyone would be too busy crying 'vampire!' to care that the 'victim' was about to harass somebody anyway...
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, poor Reuben gets pulled in to cover weird shifts because he "can handle it". And because he probably won't say "no" to his boss. Most of the time, it likely doesn't bother him too much, since he's a bit of a workaholic. But he does need some sleep. Bad timing this time.

Your memory is correct. There were two women that Jonathan Bright was yelling at before Reuben burst in on the scene.

I haven't really gone into much of the bigger picture world building yet in these chapters, since I like to focus on the small character stuff first, but your hunch is a good one, that people would be too busy yelling "vampire" to care what else was going on. So Johnny would probably still get away with it. And Reuben would be the one getting in trouble.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    New Chapter!
    Already from the cover picture it was clear another rough day was awaiting Reuben, and in fact here we are... I didn't expect the consequences of that previous chapter to show up so soon, and even less so during an already difficult shift for Reuben. And now he's also hiding the reports, who knows what will happen with those.

Anyway that previous night was a real mess, with Reuben "drinking without permission", Jonathan being about to do "I don't want to know what" to the two girls, and the girls stealing Jonathan's stuff before running away, they all had something to hide. For Reuben it sounds particularly rough though, considering that he knows what this guy was doing, but is in no position to accuse him. So frustrating...
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    @HermioneSims Thanks for reading!

Reuben sure is having a rough day (and it's not even noon yet...). Perfect timing for Johnny Bright to show up.

You pretty well sum up the whole fiasco. Reuben really made a blunder not wiping himself from the memories of Jonathan or those two ladies. And they're still out there, having definitely witnessed that Reuben is a vampire.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Chapter 14 :)
    I like this chapter's title. It's interesting to think of a vampire being bitten. :) Reuben seems to be in a bit of a mess with his work (and his roommate - given that he literally cleans up after Ion). I feel for Reuben... His boss is taking advantage of him and his ethics seem to be at odd with the ethics of his job. I worry that trying to cover up this incident may not work.
  • Options
    @haneul Thanks for your comments.

I think you're right. Reuben's job really doesn't seem a great fit for him. And the poor guy gets called in for emergency shift coverage because his boss knows he doesn't need a lot of sleep. :frowning: He needs to find a different line of work!

And, yeah. Covering up the incident... probably won't work. :wink:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    edited January 2023
    @GlacierSnow
    My comment from last week was indeed sitting here nicely... IN DRAFT :D

It came to my mind to check here when I saw your post elsewhere, do you have new episode here. And saw this :D
    Chapter 14
    I like the main pic, just how it must felt when old mistakes come to bite you.
    Reuben indeed had very little sleep. But then again, that flat cannot be so expensive that he has to take too much private clients.
    Aww, kind of sweet to check on Ion , Paladin gave him sort of funny look, tho :p
    Haha, I hope indeed it is now burried deep enough :D
    Post edited by Ellupelluellu on
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    @Ellupelluellu I always enjoy your comments. Thank you for sharing them. :smiley:

Yeah Reuben really blundered there. He's seriously regretting biting that guy in his own neighborhood. So many years of being careful messed up in one night because of being in a bad mood. In that locker room picture you can just feel him thinking "why did I do that?"

that flat cannot be so expensive that he has to take too much private clients

Heh heh. Yes. Good observation. Some of his money must be going... elsewhere. :wink:
    kind of sweet to check on Ion , Paladin gave him sort of funny look, tho

Yup! Paladin is very protective. It's his job. And Reuben... manages to care about someone else at least a little there for a moment. Pretty good for him. :lol: Especially when he's in a bad mood already.

We'll just have to wait and see if that burial was deep enough.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 15 is ready!

I had a little trouble with Postimages being slow today. Everything was showing properly when I published the updates, but if you're having trouble with images not loading, maybe try again later. It usually resolves itself. Hopefully, it's all good for you though. :smile:

Main page link

Chapter index link

Tre has a fantastic day.
    SAM-C15-Tre-Chap-Link.jpg
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my...
    Tre is so all over the place! And that funny usage of brackets made it even more evident (to be honest I think to do the same from time to time (yes, thinking about it, sometimes when writing notes or comments I definitively did the same at some point)).
    For the same reason, it's very hard to comment on everything that happened in this chapter!

And now the famous movies-night is about to start... More than ever, I really don't know which conspiracy theory could hit Tre this time, there are so many catastrophic possible scenarios....
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    Oooowoooweee :D

But of course its new surveillance station, what else Tristan? You should know that much.. and buy new clothing when old gets dirty, no need for laundry!!! :D
    got more bugs than a roach motel
    Lol, somehow that made me think of the game :D

Hey hey hey, that shower trick, way too easyyyy :D:D

If they walk out of here happy, I'm happy. It really makes my day.

Plus, you know, I get fifteen percent.

:D:D:D

Hahaha, just couple of friends to say hi to, huh? :P

I do get why Tristan likes to look after his popcorn making :p

Hilarioud picks with restoring that cheerfull attitude :D

Party bot, sure, they need it xd

cannot wait the actual evening to be :D

• Options
    Tagline: Tre has a fantastic day. Reality: Everyone has a terrible day as a result. XD
    Love his 'I'm not crazy' speech at the end... Laughed at the Strangerville reference, well I guess at least ONE of his paranoias is set in truth... Uhhh yeah, I don't think Tristan would want to be in the same room as these two XD I'm glad Tre does his best to support Tristan despite everything though. I also love Tre's first person so much, how he always has so many thoughts at once in the brackets. I think my thought process is exactly as over the place as his is. : P 'I don't know Ion well enough to want him getting drunk in my home' no really Tristan you DO NOT want him drunk in your home! Well at least he cancelled the party bot... for now X_X
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Thank you all for your extremely entertaining comments! I wasn't sure how this chapter would be received. Seems, at least, everyone can relate to Tre's scattered side tracking thoughts. :lol:

@HermioneSims

Tre's point of view is a blast to write. Pretty much anything goes, since his thought process is truly all over the place. The nested parenthesis are something I used to do myself in emails and (wow I'm dating myself here) old days of snail-mail letter writing. Felt just right to use them for Tre.
    usage of brackets made it even more evident (to be honest I think to do the same from time to time (yes, thinking about it, sometimes when writing notes or comments I definitively did the same at some point)).

I see what you did there. :joy::wink:
    And now the famous movies-night is about to start... More than ever, I really don't know which conspiracy theory could hit Tre this time, there are so many catastrophic possible scenarios....

Movie night will be the chapter after the next one. In next week's chapter we return to Reuben, because he has a second part of his day that... we need to see.

After that, movie night for everyone! Which will of course go totally smoothly and cause everyone to get along perfectly and be best friends for ever and ever. :wink:

@Ellupelluellu

I love your "as the story unfolds" comments! Put a huge grin on my face.

I think I indeed had the game in mind when I wrote the roach motel line. :lol:
    Hey hey hey, that shower trick, way too easyyyy :D:D

Tre clearly has Tristan figured out. :wink: Variations of that theme are pretty much how he got his way in the other Tristan chapters too.
    Hahaha, just couple of friends to say hi to, huh? :pensive:

That's Tre's idea of "just a couple friends" anyway. :lol:

Tre's in game traits are "outgoing", "cheerful", and "clumsy", with the additional aspiration related trait of "gregarious". Of all the characters in the story, he probably is the most like his game traits suggest. I have a lot of fun writing his POV even though, as such a mega-extravert, he's the hardest one to relate to personally.

@SnowBnuuy

I'm tickled that you caught that Strangerville reference! Various Tre conspiracies are game related in-jokes.

You're right, even without the jealousy issue, I think Colin and Tre in the same room would be too much for Tristan. Or most of the characters except maybe Ion. Tre is definitely the most extroverted of all the main characters, and he's got no filter on what he says. It's just full speed ahead all the time.
    I'm glad Tre does his best to support Tristan despite everything though.

Despite their massive differences, these two really do care about each other. But it's a relationship that takes effort and patience on both sides I think.
    'I don't know Ion well enough to want him getting drunk in my home' no really Tristan you DO NOT want him drunk in your home!

:joy::joy: Yeah.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, I love both Tre's habit of using nested parentheses and his super-delightful outlook on life :)

Around every corner is something new to be delighted by!

It's really kinda beautiful.

• Options
    @mightysprite Thanks for reading!
    I think Tre and Ion share some of the same enthusiasm about the world. Tre's is just a little... outside of reality sometimes.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 16 is ready!

Main page link

Chapter index link

Reuben has a rotten day.
    SAM-C16-Reuben-Chap-Link.jpg
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my, poor Reuben!
    He's always so grumpy, but today he has all the right to be so. Having to worry about Jonathan (and finding out he's pressing the police), about the vampire hunger outburst, about not burning in the sunlight (he was smoking so much!), and also about surviving the movie night, really sounds like a horrible day. Also considering that most of these issues are (more or less directly) caused by him being a vampire, and he can't speak to anyone about what's worrying him because his vampire nature is meant to be secret. Mitchell clearly knows though, and also seems to worry about him, but Reuben doesn't seem to want to fraternalize with him for things other than feeding.

Also, the girl from the first appointment... She's very suspicious, even more so if she really is the person I think to have recognised in her. I'm curious to see where that plotline is going as well, because at this point I'm pretty sure that such a scene will surely have a following at some point...
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    @HermioneSims :smile:

Poor Reuben is really having a rough day. Pretty much everything going wrong. And you're right, he can't safely talk to anyone about most of it (except maybe Mitchell, but that doesn't seem to be what he wants to do at the moment). He's having to keep a lot of things secret. Mitchell is definitely concerned.

You recognized the mystery girl correctly! She didn't have her hat on today, but there she was. 🤔 Very suspicious indeed.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    That girl is everywhere , but always near :P Cannot wait to see who or what she actually is :)

Poor Reuben.
    Sweet from Mitchell to offer for help, Reuben should appreciate him more!

Sorry extra short comment, bit headache troubles myself, so indeed I feel ya, Reuben!!

Dear forum , Body is NOT 4 characters too short.

• Options
    @Ellupelluellu Thanks for commenting!

That girl is a Grade-A Lurker, probably practicing for the Lurking Olympics.

Reuben really should appreciate Mitchell's concern more. It might do him some good to let someone help him.

Sorry to hear you have a headache. Reuben has empathy for you (though he's much too grumpy right now to admit it). So do I. I hope you feel better soon.

PS- Your "body is not too short" rant cracked me up. :joy:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg