Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Totally Random Comments and Questions

Comments

• Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    Probably a stupid question but does anyone know if grilled luna fish, moonpetal punch and wolf b gone are the only recipes to learn with werewolves?
  • Options
    ElleLaAmourElleLaAmour Posts: 360 Member
    This is probably wishful thinking on my part, but is there a way to spin poses after they're set?
    I know we can spin the camera, but what about turning the pose while the camera stays fixed?
    Is there a trick maybe? Thanks
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    In the age settings you can choose to disable age up of unplayed sims. Does this count the sims that are in ‘my households’ to be protected from culling if they aren’t actively played? They have a light green diamond, not a dark one.

It does not count those ones, played means the actively played ones that have the dark green diamond. You can keep them as "played" Sims by loading the household once and just never actually play with them. However, I do believe that the Sims in "my households" are protected from culling which is a separate thing from aging up. I can't remember for sure because I turned off culling so long ago with mods.
    ZoomerGirl wrote: »
    In the age settings you can choose to disable age up of unplayed sims. Does this count the sims that are in ‘my households’ to be protected from culling if they aren’t actively played? They have a light green diamond, not a dark one.

I didnt know the answer to that, kinda assumed they were just like all the npc households buut i just did a new game on fast, short life, had my sim be a young adult, speed the game up until she eventually died of old age, looked into the households i made when i started and they were exactly the same.

Thank you! This is great news. I think that if they have the light green diamond they don’t age up but they don’t get culled either, exactly as I want 😊
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member

It does not count those ones, played means the actively played ones that have the dark green diamond. You can keep them as "played" Sims by loading the household once and just never actually play with them. However, I do believe that the Sims in "my households" are protected from culling which is a separate thing from aging up. I can't remember for sure because I turned off culling so long ago with mods.

I didnt know the answer to that, kinda assumed they were just like all the npc households buut i just did a new game on fast, short life, had my sim be a young adult, speed the game up until she eventually died of old age, looked into the households i made when i started and they were exactly the same.

Thank you! This is great news. I think that if they have the light green diamond they don’t age up but they don’t get culled either, exactly as I want 😊

If you have your aging settings to age "unplayed households only," then it *will* age the ones with light green diamonds. It would only be the played Sims, with the dark green diamonds, that do not age. The other person quoted here likely had those marked as played households, and then just didn't touch them.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    edited October 2022

If you have your aging settings to age "unplayed households only," then it *will* age the ones with light green diamonds. It would only be the played Sims, with the dark green diamonds, that do not age. The other person quoted here likely had those marked as played households, and then just didn't touch them.

Hmm.. maybe I worded it wrong.

My situation is I have about 3 played households that I want to age (dark green).

I also have 7 other households that I want to age but do not play as (light green currently)

And I do not want any household outside of ‘my households’ to age at all.

I think I just need to give every household I want to age dark green diamond and turn off aging for unplayed household?
  • Options

I think I just need to give every household I want to age dark green diamond and turn off aging for unplayed household?

Yeah, any dark green diamonds would be considered played households and therefore will not age if you have it set to unplayed households only.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    Here's a totally random question: What's the best way to maintain two properties in the game? I want to keep my house and family together on one property for "home" screenshots, while also having a second property, just as a staging ground for other types of screenshots.
    I tried "visiting" a build location but found I didn't have all the controls that I needed in live/screencap mode.

Do I just buy and sell between the two properties, moving my Sims family back and forth as needed? Is there a better way? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Here's a totally random question: What's the best way to maintain two properties in the game? I want to keep my house and family together on one property for "home" screenshots, while also having a second property, just as a staging ground for other types of screenshots.
    I tried "visiting" a build location but found I didn't have all the controls that I needed in live/screencap mode.

Do I just buy and sell between the two properties, moving my Sims family back and forth as needed? Is there a better way? Thanks.

Do you use mods? There is a mod called "Control Any Sim" by MTS Titan Nano. If you used this mod, you could have any random placeholder Sim live in the "second home" as a caretaker/groundskeeper, then when you want to take pictures there you can summon your played Sims over and use this mod to take control of them. It allows you to treat any Sim as a played, active character with full access to all their actions etc.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member

My sim has multiple "homes" in various worlds. In my earlier save, he was on the run and needed multiple safe houses. I just set up various locations in build for that sim, then marked them as rentals. When I want him to "live" there, I just have him go on vacation to that location and stay as long as I need him to. He even has a tower in the Magic Realm that was created so randoms can't get into it. He travels there and stays as long as he needs. This works as long as you're keeping the household together. I'm not sure if you can split the household up for rental stays.
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »

My sim has multiple "homes" in various worlds. In my earlier save, he was on the run and needed multiple safe houses. I just set up various locations in build for that sim, then marked them as rentals. When I want him to "live" there, I just have him go on vacation to that location and stay as long as I need him to. He even has a tower in the Magic Realm that was created so randoms can't get into it. He travels there and stays as long as he needs. This works as long as you're keeping the household together. I'm not sure if you can split the household up for rental stays.

Thank you both so much. GirafHuntr, I try to avoid mods wherever possible, but will remember this as a last resort. Thank you.

Cyncie, thank you very much. I wish I could bookmark this post because I'm going to give this a try!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @cyncie
    I'm not sure if you can split the household up for rental stays.
    You can! Just treat it like going on vacation but not with the whole household.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    @cyncie
    I'm not sure if you can split the household up for rental stays.
    You can! Just treat it like going on vacation but not with the whole household.

Even more perfect!

Edit: This is probably a silly question, but is there a way to change the time of day in live mode? Can you switch from morning to night like you can in build mode, with some kind of trick or workaround maybe?

Sometimes I put a lot of effort into building a nighttime scene for a screencap, switch to live mode for the cinematic camera shot, and boom, it's high afternoon.

I know there's a mod for the cinematic camera in build mode, but is there anything else short of a mod for this situation?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member

I do something similar to @GirafHuntr. I have several homes and have a person live in each as a caretaker or maid. Then I move the ones I need for the screenshots there to take my pics using manage households. I make sure neighborhood stories are off for the folks that are caretakers. That way I don’t have to buy and sell. And the caretakers don’t need to be visible in your story unless you want them to be.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    At AudreyFld, I wonder if you can get the caretakers to stay when you return, and work as full time domestic help? lol

Cyncie, I almost made a terrible mistake. Before I read your post, I'd already moved my family out of their home, and into a build for screencaps. When I went back to the home in build mode, all the furniture was gone!
    As luck would have it, I had just saved that house into my library, right before I moved them out... so I was able to retrieve my furniture.

I think I'm figuring it out. I just don't want to lose a big, fully decorated interior again. *whew

EDIT: Nope, that didn't work. I took a vacation to a rental build for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, while you're vacationing, you can't access build mode.
    Without build mode, I can't set up any poses for screencaps.

Actually, what I need are two fully functioning lots that both have live and build modes, and that I can travel back and forth as desired. I also need to know that all the furnishings will remain in place, in both places, as I go back and forth.

In theory I should be able to keep me and my family on just one lot, then place any saved lot (same size or smaller) from my library onto that property, back and forth, as many times as I want... indefinitely.

Because we still live on that lot, both live and build modes should be available... and all the furniture should still be in each saved lot just as it was when last saved.

Does this sound correct? thank you again.
    Post edited by ElleLaAmour on
  • Options
    Oh, dang. Yes you have to make all necessary modifications to a rental before sending a family there.
    The same is true for university housing. Build all you like, but once a sim is living there, you can't build anymore.

Although there is a cheat code that allows build mode in any circumstances, freebuild or something like that, you could look it up.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    You know, another option would be to save both lots to the library, keep your family living on the same lot, and just replace the lot from the library as needed.
    Is it an issue if both versions of the lot have the same neighborhood/background scenery?

EDIT okay that's exactly the same thing you suggested under "in theory," I should have read better lol.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Nope, that didn't work. I took a vacation to a rental build for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, while you're vacationing, you can't access build mode.

Go on vacation to the rental lot with your sim. Open up the cheat box with testing cheat on and type bb.enablefreebuild. That cheat allows you to access build mode for any lot. You can change things around as much as you need. It works on most special lots as well. That's how I edited Magic HQ so my sim can live there.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nope, that didn't work. I took a vacation to a rental build for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, while you're vacationing, you can't access build mode.

Go on vacation to the rental lot with your sim. Open up the cheat box with testing cheat on and type bb.enablefreebuild. That cheat allows you to access build mode for any lot. You can change things around as much as you need. It works on most special lots as well. That's how I edited Magic HQ so my sim can live there.

Well that's another good idea! Thank you.

EDIT: lol @ mightysprite. I was hoping someone would confirm that theory, so thank you as well.
    To answer your question, no, the area of the lot isn't really important to me. I just hope I can trust everything to be intact when I place a lot.
    I know this is silly, but I worry about overwriting saves a bunch of times... like I'm going to wear out the save file by overworking it. lol
    *Hoping someone will confirm that too. lol
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Has anyone else seen "Ask what happened" pop up during sims conversations? They respond with a random thought bubble and no pop up or anything appears with the other sims response.
  • Options
    @Brd709 I've noticed that right after a fire.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Does anyone have any suggestion how to get the most out of the spa day update? I had the old spa lot but I would like a new one so I can try out the new stuff.

Did maxis update the spa lot in the game or is there any recommendations of a good one on the gallery?
  • Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    I have one I like, I havent actually played with it. Someone made it for FGG, so it has a lil bit of an adult theme.
    heart welness by takodalgmu.
  • Options
    I have one I like, I havent actually played with it. Someone made it for FGG, so it has a lil bit of an adult theme.
    heart welness by takodalgmu.

Ahh thanks, I’ll look it up :smile:. I used the most popular non-maxis one, I think it was called Bali and it was really good, but I’d like to try a few!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Hi again. This should be an easy question for most of you. What's the best way to render a plain, black, asphalt driveway? Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top