Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Totally Random Comments and Questions

Comments

• Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2022
    ZoomerGirl wrote: »
    Just a random question, would you be inerested in pre-teens in the sims 4? I see a couple of people liking it (or a rework of teens)
    I still dont really know myself lol

No I don’t think so for the sims 4. Perhaps in a future game with that in mind while designing it but right now it’s hard to see what they can do with it.

In terms of gameplay, in the U.K. you have big school and little school. Big school starts at 11. So I guess they change schools at ‘pre teen’. You’re more likely to start drama club at 11 than as a child so I guess that moves up. But what else really? I think they’ve got that age range covered across child and teen and they’d just shuffle a few of the teen bits onto the child gameplay while removing some of the child gameplay.

There’s not much more 11-12 year olds do in addition to what’s there already unless they were going to add a bunch of youth clubs or something. Basically I could see a pre teen just getting to go to high school and losing the ability to do monkey bars or whatever, given a few new emotional things and nothing else.

It also wouldn’t last very long in game given it’s only really a couple of years. So unless you were planning to turn aging off and keep them that way, it would probably be a lot of work that doesn’t benefit the majority of players.

If you’re talking about just a visual change, then perhaps but the way sims 4 works, the sim really ‘transforms’ between child and teen. It’s like a different sim visually. So I guess it could bridge the gap a little more. But personally to me, it’s unnecessary and there is always going to need to be a jump because the game just isn’t that realistic in its design and the sims don’t age gradually. These are essentially individual cartoons taken at different stages of life, it’s not the same drawing evolving.

It could be done with a big rework of teens and the high school years as a whole, but they’ve just essentially done that rework with HSY and they’re in a decent place so I just don’t see it. Sims 5 maybe. This is just my opinion though, if enough people want it then maybe we will see it 😊

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,096 Member
    Do any of the Sim Gurus or developers have their sim selfs on the gallery? They're needed to help resolve a plot in one of my stories.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,893 Member
    edited October 2022
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Do any of the Sim Gurus or developers have their sim selfs on the gallery? They're needed to help resolve a plot in one of my stories.

Yes. I have a few in my game. Graham, Ninja, and Lyndsay. Check under Maxis
  • Options
    ElleLaAmourElleLaAmour Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2022
    Hi. I just tried to download a really handsome male avatar from TSR, but I guess it didn't work. I found a lot of the required items for the handsome guy but can't find his head/face.
    I just assumed I'd find him all put together in my game's inventory somewhere, but I didn't. Do these custom sims at TSR need to be installed manually, rather than with the download manager? Thank you!

Edit: Never mind, I found him in my library! Thank you guys, and thanks to youtube as well!
    Post edited by ElleLaAmour on
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    SailorCeti wrote: »
    I’ll join. Why the heck can’t they label face types in game in a little tooltip. Say what you want but I often can’t tell which faces are intended for which races. -.-

If you think it through you might realize why it would be problematic to require the game to engage in racial profiling and stereotyping, sorting faces into groups of what features belong lumped together under labels of race that would be different based on who is doing the labeling and defining.

Representing features real people have in the game, is nice, but telling people what groups get lumped together and which ones deserve their own category, and what features each one has, is racist no matter how well intentioned.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,096 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »

Yes. I have a few in my game. Graham, Ninja, and Lyndsay. Check under Maxis

Thank you. I ended up finding Lyndsay and she made a cameo in my latest update in the What Happened In Your Game Today? thread.
  • Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    Stupid little pet peeve of mine: When people upload lots to the gallery (love the sharing) they put 8 bedrooms when in reality its 4 bedrooms made for 8 sims.
    Im not good at building so i love it when I find lots for 8 or more (like butlers) individual sims
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I just want to say how much I love my current save. It was one of those I never intended for it to last this long and become so attached to the sims and the story I have playing out. So much has unfolded and yet I am excited for what the future holds for my heir sim. He is just fixing to graduate college and become a computer engineer and marry his High school crush. I can’t wait for them to branch out the tree even more!
  • Options
    Hi again. Can someone suggest the best 2 or 3 packs I most need for downloading neo classic cc? I'd like enough neoclassical cc to build Versailles if I want too, but I need to know which packs to buy for it first.

...and could you rank them in order of importance as well please? Thank you!
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,663 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hi again. Can someone suggest the best 2 or 3 packs I most need for downloading neo classic cc? I'd like enough neoclassical cc to build Versailles if I want too, but I need to know which packs to buy for it first.

If you mean game pack bb items, I can’t help much, because I don’t build. But, if you’re talking decor and furniture, some of the items in Vampires might work, though the darker swatches definitely lean more Victorian Gothic. Any of the pieces in game that are “Princess Cordelia” would work. A lot of those are base game but some items are scattered around other packs.

But, if you’re okay with cc you might want to give this a look. http://regalsims.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-neoclassical-living-room-for-ts4.html
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »

If you mean game pack bb items, I can’t help much, because I don’t build. But, if you’re talking decor and furniture, some of the items in Vampires might work, though the darker swatches definitely lean more Victorian Gothic. Any of the pieces in game that are “Princess Cordelia” would work. A lot of those are base game but some items are scattered around other packs.

But, if you’re okay with cc you might want to give this a look. http://regalsims.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-neoclassical-living-room-for-ts4.html

Thank you so much cyncie! I love the sets in your link and got them. Can I ask how and where you searched for that site? And I'll definitely check out the build items in the vampire pack.

I've only been playing the sims for about 2 months and I'm not clear on exactly what cc is. I download a lot of cc from TSR using their download manager because I'm scared to manually download it somewhere else. I'm not a computer whiz. I do know it's custom content that's based on your ownership of the original item. For example, I couldn't download a washing machine at TSR until I bought "laundry days" and acquired a base game washing machine first.

So I think cc is actually just a recolor of an original item/mesh. Beyond regular cc, mods use new meshes for never-before-seen items and can even change the way the game's played.

...and some things even go to your library when you download them, like a new sim at TSR. Am I on the right track? Thanks again.

• Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    SailorCeti wrote: »
    I’ll join. Why the heck can’t they label face types in game in a little tooltip. Say what you want but I often can’t tell which faces are intended for which races. -.-

If you think it through you might realize why it would be problematic to require the game to engage in racial profiling and stereotyping, sorting faces into groups of what features belong lumped together under labels of race that would be different based on who is doing the labeling and defining.

Representing features real people have in the game, is nice, but telling people what groups get lumped together and which ones deserve their own category, and what features each one has, is racist no matter how well intentioned.

Another solution would be to simply use a letter to represent the face preset. Face A, Face B, Face C etc. It would still provide some (very small) recognition. You could post a picture saying you started with Face G, added Eyes K, Nose F and skintone Warm 4. There's no racial profiling there, just an index.
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member

Thank you so much cyncie! I love the sets in your link and got them. Can I ask how and where you searched for that site? And I'll definitely check out the build items in the vampire pack.

I've only been playing the sims for about 2 months and I'm not clear on exactly what cc is. I download a lot of cc from TSR using their download manager because I'm scared to manually download it somewhere else. I'm not a computer whiz. I do know it's custom content that's based on your ownership of the original item. For example, I couldn't download a washing machine at TSR until I bought "laundry days" and acquired a base game washing machine first.

So I think cc is actually just a recolor of an original item/mesh. Beyond regular cc, mods use new meshes for never-before-seen items and can even change the way the game's played.

...and some things even go to your library when you download them, like a new sim at TSR. Am I on the right track? Thanks again.

Hi, @ElleMonAmour!

Welcome to the Sims! You’re off to a great start wrapping your head around CC. 😀. Below I’ll try to take a little of the mystery out of it for you.

“CC” (Custom Content) is divided into two basic types as you’ve already deduced, those that add additional assets to the game commonly referred to as CC and those that fix bugs or change game play commonly called Mods.

For each there are two sub types….

*CC is divided Into build/buy or BB items and Create a Sim items or CAS items. These generally don’t change game play just give you more assets to use.

*Mods are divided into bug fixes as well as minor or major game play changes.

Both CC and Mods go into the Sims 4 Mods folder. As you get more CC/Mods it becomes important to begin to organize your mods folder so you know what you have and can easily find it. Otherwise you may wind up corrupting a save trying to play with outdated Mods or CC when EA does an update like they just did. Normally CC doesn’t break, but it can. Mods break much more often. We have a great team of simmers to help you keep up with all of that.

That was very basic. I’m sorry if it was too basic. There are great tutorials on the internet or feel free to message me with questions.
  • Options
    AudreyFld wrote: »

Hi, @ElleMonAmour!

Welcome to the Sims! You’re off to a great start wrapping your head around CC. 😀. Below I’ll try to take a little of the mystery out of it for you.

“CC” (Custom Content) is divided into two basic types as you’ve already deduced, those that add additional assets to the game commonly referred to as CC and those that fix bugs or change game play commonly called Mods.

For each there are two sub types….

*CC is divided Into build/buy or BB items and Create a Sim items or CAS items. These generally don’t change game play just give you more assets to use.

*Mods are divided into bug fixes as well as minor or major game play changes.

Both CC and Mods go into the Sims 4 Mods folder. As you get more CC/Mods it becomes important to begin to organize your mods folder so you know what you have and can easily find it. Otherwise you may wind up corrupting a save trying to play with outdated Mods or CC when EA does an update like they just did. Normally CC doesn’t break, but it can. Mods break much more often. We have a great team of simmers to help you keep up with all of that.

That was very basic. I’m sorry if it was too basic. There are great tutorials on the internet or feel free to message me with questions.

No, that was not too basic at all for me, lol thank you. But I'm not looking forward to organizing the mod folder :(
    I think if I had it to do over again, I'd just play with whatever comes in my packs and be done with the downloads. lol

Next on my agenda... learning what the tray folder is for and what goes in it. So far, I've only had to use the mod folder for package files or the download manager at TSR. But thank you again!

• Options
    edited November 2022
    @ElleMonAmour

I’m glad you liked those! I usually just search the internet for “Sims 4” and whatever the item is. So that would be “Sims 4 neoclassical cc.” A lot of content creators are using private blogs, Tumblr, or Patreon these days, so there’s not a central download site for everything. Searching on Patreon and Tumblr will turn up quite a bit. TSR and Mod the Sims have the most variety, I suppose. You don’t have to worry about downloading cc too much. There’s not much risk of getting a virus or anything like that, although there are some sketchy malware sites that just reblog creators. The biggest problem you’ll have with cc comes in when outdated cc causes conflicts with an EA patch/update. Mods break more frequently and have to be downloaded again after the creators update them. The mods/cc section of this forum is a great resource for finding trusty content creators and to keep up to date on broken items, thanks to @luthienrising’s hard work.

Next on my agenda... learning what the tray folder is for and what goes in it. So far, I've only had to use the mod folder for package files or the download manager at TSR. But thank you again!

The Tray is where the sims and builds you’ve added to your game are stored on the computer. You don’t have to do anything to it. It stores everything that’s in your Library. The most important folders to back up are your Saves (where the gameplay files are stored), the Tray (where your sims and lots are stored), and the Mods folder (where mods and cc are stored). I also backup my screenshots folder.
    Post edited by cyncie on
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @ElleMonAmour

I’m glad you liked those! I usually just search the internet for “Sims 4” and whatever the item is. So that would be “Sims 4 neoclassical cc.” A lot of content creators are using private blogs, Tumblr, or Patreon these days, so there’s not a central download site for everything. Searching on Patreon and Tumblr will turn up quite a bit. TSR and Mod the Sims have the most variety, I suppose. You don’t have to worry about downloading cc too much. There’s not much risk of getting a virus or anything like that, although there are some sketchy malware sites that just reblog creators. The biggest problem you’ll have with cc comes in when outdated cc causes conflicts with an EA patch/update. Mods break more frequently and have to be downloaded again after the creators update them. The mods/cc section of this forum is a great resource for finding trusty content creators and to keep up to date on broken items, thanks to @luthienrising’s hard work.

The Tray is where the sims and builds you’ve added to your game are stored on the computer. You don’t have to do anything to it. It stores everything that’s in your Library. The most important folders to back up are your Saves (where the gameplay files are stored), the Tray (where your sims and lots are stored), and the Mods folder (where mods and cc are stored). I also backup my screenshots folder.

Exactly @cyncie - only I keep my screenshot folder cleaned out as much as possible by saving them on another drive so it doesn’t bog down my game. I just move them out by date or save or in my case by chapter of my story. I have them all on Imgur organized into folders. Double backed up screenies! Lol.
  • Options
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    Exactly @cyncie - only I keep my screenshot folder cleaned out as much as possible by saving them on another drive so it doesn’t bog down my game. I just move them out by date or save or in my case by chapter of my story. I have them all on Imgur organized into folders. Double backed up screenies! Lol.

See, now you’ve just reminded me that I need to do some housekeeping on my screenshot folder. 😝
  • Options
    Oh thank you both so much! I'll definitely use the mods/cc section of this forum. That was a great suggestion. Very informative posts you guys!
  • Options
    Here's another random question... why can't I find Yorkies in my new cats and dogs pack? I would think Yorkies would be among the most requested breeds. Anyway, I don't see a "fur" option that has long hair like a Yorkie or a Lhasa Apso. Have I overlooked something?
    I'm really loving the cats and dogs pack btw! Thank you.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,893 Member
    Here's one if you don't mind downloading from the Gallery.

• Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    Lol I was just about to say PugOwned makes some great pets but the one you showed is PugOwned
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    Random question: How do you rotate flooring tiles, and/or make them into quarters? (I used to know this, but forgot what button!
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2022
    RySBI wrote: »
    Random question: How do you rotate flooring tiles, and/or make them into quarters? (I used to know this, but forgot what button!

Hit the ctrl + F key, that will give you the quarter tile. For rotating, just use the < or > keys (also known as the , and . keys) to rotate things (including floor tiles).
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top