Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming EP: High School

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    consider what one guru said about what shows he watched for ideas I am very surprised no mention of bands. I mean what teenager with a rebal streak hasn't been in a band?
    I'm going to say when not if bands come because they're too highly requested not to come at some point. They better go back and refresh the high school expansion to work with them and add in high school bands to school activities.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    Quaay wrote: »
    So in the trailer the principals child is shown, then is shown sneaking out of the house to go to prom. Does this mean new career to become a principal…but there’s already a teacher career in Discover University

I don't think there is a principal career. It looks like an NPC like the Mayor in Cottage Living. The woman in the brown uniform in the trailer I believe is Molly's mom, the principal. Also shown at graduation handing out the diploma.

As an aside, I really hate the way they did the Education career in the Sims 4. You are going along your career as an elementary or high school teacher (never specified) until you make it to department head, then suddenly you are either managing a university, or teaching at one. These are three VERY different careers. People tend to get specific education degrees to teach at a school, while university professors get hired by universities primarily to conduct research in their field of study, with teaching as a secondary thing, after (or while) doing a doctorate. Really, it should have been two separate careers, Education which eventually leads into Administration (Principal, Superintendent, Commissioner, etc), and Academic, starting out as a researcher, eventually leading to professor.

It should be noted however, that the Sims 4 Education career doesn't have the rank of Principal, so it won't conflict in that way, at least.

Excellent points. I have sometimes wondered whether our dear devs have ever actually met another adult human who did not work in an IT-related field. Several of the careers are like this. My personal pet peeve is the law career, in every single iteration of the game. I was already in law school when TS1 came out, and it's not just that they've never gotten it right, it's that the career path has been so bizarrely wrong and unrealistic that I don't even like to use the career, even for my simselves.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Lecca wrote: »
    When I was in high school (9 years ago) promposals were definitely a thing. How elaborate they were really depended on the person. For me, my boyfriend at the time gave me a little hand written note with a drawing of a whale that said “whale you go to prom with me”. It was sweet and simple.

When I had a prom themed birthday last year (an excuse to rewear a bridesmaid dress lmao) I made my girlfriend a note that said “I’d be the luckiest pumpkin in the patch if you picked me for prom” and gave her a tiny pumpkin. She had never had a promposal in high school and she loved it.

See, now those are cute stories. The promposals that drive me nuts are the ones that are so over the top, and you just know it's because the kids (or quite possibly their parents) are trying to go viral. It's like the dudes who do flashmobs for wedding proposals. Just, come on.

We were so proud of our oldest. She told her boyfriend at the time that if he embarrassed her with a promposal, she would dump him on the spot. He very wisely got the message out, and asked her tastefully and in private. :D
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Looks nice, but so did MWS. Want to see more info on how well it actually works.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I was actually pretty impressed by the trailer. I've been wanting content to make teen sims more interesting, and this packs looks like it will check a lot of those boxes!
    I also love lots of drama in my game, and I can definitely see this pack adding a lot of fun to my sims' stories.

I'm a little concerned about active schools and how they will run, especially after MWS. I'll definitely need to watch a couple livestreams before buying this pack and make sure it runs well.

Overall I'm quite excited :)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,940 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Almost all of the windows open.

How do you open the windows @Loanet ?
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    When I first heard of a high school pack being the next expansion, I wasn't too excited. I would of still gotten it to expand on game play for my teen sims as game play for younger sims are lacking; but couldn't really see it being an expansion (I assumed that prom would sort of be similar to sims 3 and more of a rabbit hole and pop up and teens wouldn't go to school in person as they don't live on campus like in University, etc...). Then I saw the trailer which far seceded my expectations. Now I want to see how the life stream goes as I was excited before with MWS only to be so disappointed at first and while many things are fixed now, I still wished some things were kept in or added. They have removed things before, so I don't want to get my hopes too high.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    I'm eager to learn more. Basically I don't see myself playing both High School AND University, assuming both to feel like a chore after a few play throughs. But the trailer looks great and there seems to be a lot of stuff going on in this new pack! I hope most of the non HS stuff can also be used off this world. The fun park must be an option to use without being a student, and I also hope some new teen stuff will be available to teens not in HS. If I did not have Uni, I'd jump right onto this one :)

PS: I saw no info on what they learn in school... maybe the subjects will get less focus, leaving the academic bit to Uni? Doing well in HS should give a boost in Uni or at least Uni scholarships, maybe also in some careers. Time will tell...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    Really loving what I saw so far! :grin:

Prom, graduation, science fair, cheerleading (and football?), pranks, sneaking out after curfew, an amusement park, etc. All sounds great to me! 🤗👍

Will have to see how they handle the high school academic part, though. Like, how long is high school, how classes work, and if there is a rabbit hole option, etc.

I don’t want to be that guy, but sneaking out was most likely just for show. Sims houses are not meant to be exit any other way than through a door. Sims can’t even open the window, lol. Of course I would be more than happy if it wasn’t. 😁

I liked pillow fighting thought and cheerleaders classes and I also want to see how the active classroom works. There is still possibility it’s like University and we will only walk through corridor.

Looked to me like the plant espallier was a new ladder, and if a ladder connects to a small balcony, I don't see why a student can not climb down. Might not be from a window though, unless they added a new window, or perhaps a 1 tile balcony outside a balcony door, leading to that ladder. Either way - I trhink sneaking out would be a possibility ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    Really loving what I saw so far! :grin:

Prom, graduation, science fair, cheerleading (and football?), pranks, sneaking out after curfew, an amusement park, etc. All sounds great to me! 🤗👍

Will have to see how they handle the high school academic part, though. Like, how long is high school, how classes work, and if there is a rabbit hole option, etc.

I don’t want to be that guy, but sneaking out was most likely just for show. Sims houses are not meant to be exit any other way than through a door. Sims can’t even open the window, lol. Of course I would be more than happy if it wasn’t. 😁

I liked pillow fighting thought and cheerleaders classes and I also want to see how the active classroom works. There is still possibility it’s like University and we will only walk through corridor.

Looked to me like the plant espallier was a new ladder, and if a ladder connects to a small balcony, I don't see why a student can not climb down. Might not be from a window though, unless they added a new window, or perhaps a 1 tile balcony outside a balcony door, leading to that ladder. Either way - I trhink sneaking out would be a possibility ;)

It's a new window.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/high-school-years-guided-tour
    Need to sneak out of the house after curfew? Sims can exit the house via The E window and trellis ladder, and climb down the side of a house.
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Love it! It looks exciting and fun to play. Comes out this month! Wow:)
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Ha. For my oughts-time prom, I didn't really want to go but my mother forced me. I did snag a DS during the after-prom gifts by trading an expensive camera for it, and therefore getting around the fact my mother was unwilling to upgrade me from a GBA because I was a gamer who wanted to game for my source of entertainment rather than anything else.

I had enough of a aquantenceship with my classmates in my small school that they set me up with people they wanted to hang out with from other schools for a 'date.' Which was fine by me!

Hmm, if I went to a bigger school, I could see my mother still forcing me to prom but -shrugs- my apathy would have been the same.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    simpureheartsimpureheart Posts: 39 Member
    It's really cute to read everyone's stories in this thread. I can't wait to play my own Sims' prom stories out. :heart:
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2022
    My Prom date my senior year was one of my best friends, whom I'd gone to school with since we were four. We weren't involved romantically, and we never had been...almost, at one point, but not quite. When we were "big little kids," maybe 10 or 11, my aunt told my mom that my "girl friend" and I would go to Prom together.

We decided to be Prom dates because we knew we would have a fun, drama-free time together, and that's exactly what happened. Neither of us was dating anyone at the time. My mom told me about the conversation she'd had with her sister about my Prom "destiny"...but only after the fact.

Now my Prom date is married to another friend of mine; they started dating after high school, and married two weeks after my wife and I did.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Lecca wrote: »
    When I was in high school (9 years ago) promposals were definitely a thing. How elaborate they were really depended on the person. For me, my boyfriend at the time gave me a little hand written note with a drawing of a whale that said “whale you go to prom with me”. It was sweet and simple.

When I had a prom themed birthday last year (an excuse to rewear a bridesmaid dress lmao) I made my girlfriend a note that said “I’d be the luckiest pumpkin in the patch if you picked me for prom” and gave her a tiny pumpkin. She had never had a promposal in high school and she loved it.

See, now those are cute stories. The promposals that drive me nuts are the ones that are so over the top, and you just know it's because the kids (or quite possibly their parents) are trying to go viral. It's like the dudes who do flashmobs for wedding proposals. Just, come on.

We were so proud of our oldest. She told her boyfriend at the time that if he embarrassed her with a promposal, she would dump him on the spot. He very wisely got the message out, and asked her tastefully and in private. :D

Yeah exactly. And as someone who was extremely bullied for 8 years, just the idea of things like this is still triggering to me despite being middle aged now; I just see how easy it is for someone to be harassed and bullied and laughed at with all the things involved in proms, school sports teams or whatever.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SulSulwitchesSulSulwitches Posts: 5 New Member
    so im an occult player. I love my supernaturals but sometime I love realistic game play too, so the high school pack is getting my money. I just think they missed an opportunity to revamp the ghost. like almost every high school has some silly ghost story, copperdale could've. thinking like Casper but different, the highschool best "ghost" friend. having the ability to allow certain sims to see you, being able to possess a sim for a while but it drains ectoplasm overtime and the possessed sims energy, teleport anywhere, and more. I dont know maybe I just got buffy the vamp slayer, TVD, and other things on the brain :D
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,028 Member
    I've been away for the past week. Hate the new house so much, I want to go back to my old city. Anyway, I missed the reveal on this.

I'm meh on the theme, but it's much less niche than some of the EPs, which is good. It also promises a lot of things I've wanted for school. I've been dying for sports, competitions and after school activities. If this pack delivers, I'll buy it early.

Please don't be a repeat of DU, where everything was shallow or poorly implemented.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    @Gordy Welcome back, I hope that the new place grows on you at least a little and the shock wears off.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,406 Member
    No one has mentioned the new heart sunglasses. These are new and not from the previous kit.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    PhilSims wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    my question is what does a theme park/fair have to do with high school? I think something theme-park inspired should be in it's own EP since you could do much more with it in it's own EP

High School Years is not just about school, rather the whole life experience:
    KEY FEATURES
    EXPERIENCE HIGH SCHOOL
    Experience all the ups and downs of high school. Attend classes in person, get to know your teachers, hang out in the cafeteria, and even decorate your locker! Your most treasured moments might happen while loitering around with your friends after school.

If a fair is around you can bet it's a teen hangout!

Yeah but to me a theme park / Fair has way way more to do with middle school. You were definitely "over" rides and stuff at 17.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,972 Member
    edited July 2022
    I wasn't over rides and stuff at 17. :p And my kids were still enjoying carnivals, theme parks, and state fairs when they were in high school.

ETA: Middle schoolers would usually attend with their parents or a group of friends. For high schoolers it was usually a dating thing .
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,406 Member
    I wasn't over rides and stuff at 17. :p And my kids were still enjoying carnivals, theme parks, and state fairs when they were in high school.

ETA: Middle schoolers would usually attend with their parents or a group of friends. For high schoolers it was usually a dating thing .

And adults enjoy them as well.
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2022
    PhilSims wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    my question is what does a theme park/fair have to do with high school? I think something theme-park inspired should be in it's own EP since you could do much more with it in it's own EP

High School Years is not just about school, rather the whole life experience:
    KEY FEATURES
    EXPERIENCE HIGH SCHOOL
    Experience all the ups and downs of high school. Attend classes in person, get to know your teachers, hang out in the cafeteria, and even decorate your locker! Your most treasured moments might happen while loitering around with your friends after school.

If a fair is around you can bet it's a teen hangout!

Yeah but to me a theme park / Fair has way way more to do with middle school. You were definitely "over" rides and stuff at 17.

Let's agree to disagree!!

Edited to add:

From a 2017 study:
    The report found that 18-29 year olds are the largest group of theme park visitors at 46 percent

https://www.themeparktribune.com/theme-park-demographics-changing-higher-incomes-and-more-millennials/
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    High schoolers here love to go to the amusement park. But it's the coasters and thrill rides they love the most. Too bad we didn't get one of those.

Working in theme parks is also a popular summer job. I worked at one myself years ago.