Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming EP: High School

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    Note, this is coming from a Swede.

I... don't see the point. Or rather I don't see the point in separating high school from middle school or the first years? Over here "high school" is definitely no different from any other year, it's just school, but I guess judging from American movies and TV shows it is a big deal over there? I guess?

Besides, having to micro manage teenagers between classes University style while they are still at home seems overwhelming to me, I can barely keep up with three sims period, even with sending them all off to rabbit hole jobs, and having to baby sit a teenager while trying to up skills and promotions for their parents seems to be a chore, and no fun at all.

I guess you could do it as a boarding school, but that is even less of an universal experience, usually reserved for the wealthy only and only in very very few countries at that.

University I get, by the times your Sim kids are YA, you usually move them to a new house and play them instead of their parents (at least I do that) so having them move to a dorm for a bit first is only logical and you don't have to juggle the rest of the family while you're there. But again my main issue with this is "Why high school?" at all? From a Swedish perspective the only real difference between grades 10 to 12 is that they aren't mandatory by unlike grades 1 to 9 so it is legal to quit school. That's it.

Curious, as when searching for "Sweden compulsory education" I got this:

In the Swedish school system, children go to school for at least ten years from the year they turn six, as mandated by the Swedish Education Act.

Compulsory schooling
    Swedish compulsory schooling consists of four stages: förskoleklass (‘preschool year’ or year 0), lågstadiet (years 1–3), mellanstadiet (years 4–6) and högstadiet (years 7–9).

Upper secondary school
    Gymnasium (upper secondary school, sixth form or high school, years 10–12) is optional.

Also, like in other EU countries, minimum legal age of employment is 16y/o.

Not sure what the question is? It basically lines up with what I said?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    @Beardedgeek Prom is just a dance with evening wear. Usually you go out for dinner with your date and another couple or two. Then you go to the dance, take a picture, dance and talk to your friends. No Carrie horror scenes involved.

I was a nerd and was never bullied at Prom. It may just be that my school was large enough that everyone had a group, but I don't remember much bullying. In elementary and middle school, yes. But it seemed like everyone had grown past that in high school. That may not be true everywhere. Perhaps I was just lucky.

• Options
    telemwill wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek Prom is just a dance with evening wear. Usually you go out for dinner with your date and another couple or two. Then you go to the dance, take a picture, dance and talk to your friends. No Carrie horror scenes involved.

I was a nerd and was never bullied at Prom. It may just be that my school was large enough that everyone had a group, but I don't remember much bullying. In elementary and middle school, yes. But it seemed like everyone had grown past that in high school. That may not be true everywhere. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Nerds has nothing to do with bullying outside hollywood; I am willing to bet at least one kid in each class was borderline suicide at least once a month; it is statistically the case in all schools everywhere. It's just that the kids not being either bullies or bullied a lot of times block out the obvious signs.

ANYWAY, I know what a prom is, I am just saying it's something that is very much an Anglo-centric phenomenon afaik. But I guess that would be like the student loans, half the players think they are too low, half the players thinks they are too high, because that's the local player's experience with them IRL.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I hope, it isn't University 2.0. I like the concept but I have no idea what they can include there. After school activities? Teacher career? And what is more important. Will it be inspired by US high shool system? European? Japaniese? This is also important thing because we have a lot of different system around the world. I would like to see more school types than a single one. Public and private at least. In a perfect world, every world should have its own school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_secondary_education_systems_by_country

Yes!

They did well with university, I can make that work with my saves and lean them towards my stories.

Hmm… if the High School experience is too much like the American version of High School with too little or to few ways to alter the experience then it will not suit my stories.

I hope that we will have:
    - sports
    - field trips
    - Instruments and music
    - vendor table just for kids. I sold stuff for school trips and my brother's hockey team
    - home schooling would be a good option if you have a very specific make believe world
    - competitions in different subjects
    - a lot type that was geared towards teenagers
    - a difficult private school. If you have the University Pack your teen could take a few classes at Uni. That would be a fun reward for having both packs

What I don’t want to see:
    - the game deciding too much on what graduation will look like. Different countries will probably have different outfits and customs for this event. Make this flexible please.
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    Maannnnn it better be real. I haven’t touched TS4 since I got COVID
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited June 2022
    I wish more of us received this survey. Because I don't remember getting one and filling it out. Must have only been sent to a portion of players.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited June 2022

I just hope the progress and staying enrolled in the High School doesn't operate in the same manner as it does for Discover University. I still have a student Sim who I can't get to re-enroll unless he starts all over again, lol.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    If they do, do this, I hope it's not a teen version of University.
    I don't want to do the same game play for two age stages.

I wouldn't mind a large high school hidden lot that might have special activities, a class, or a lab, scheduled for particular days of the week that you can experience live, but most classes are rabbit holes in 3X speeds and you can play your sim in real time for the 5 or 30 minutes, or and hour of real time for gaps between classes, lunch breaks, study hall, etc. When I say real time, I mean our time, not sim time.

Something, I just don't want to repeat Uni game play twice for a sim.

Me neither. Doing that twice would detract from the experience of Uni. Don’t know how to fill up the expansion with interesting content but not turning into micro management hell.

Hmm… my teenagers live at home with working parents and quite often they have siblings. A YA going of to college is more likely to be dealt by like a single sim experience in my game which makes it easier to follow that sim around.

I cannot leave the rest of the family to the wayside just to do high school so we will see how it is done. A wide range of options for schooling could be nice.
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2022
    Nushka wrote: »
    Note, this is coming from a Swede.

I... don't see the point. Or rather I don't see the point in separating high school from middle school or the first years? Over here "high school" is definitely no different from any other year, it's just school, but I guess judging from American movies and TV shows it is a big deal over there? I guess?

Besides, having to micro manage teenagers between classes University style while they are still at home seems overwhelming to me, I can barely keep up with three sims period, even with sending them all off to rabbit hole jobs, and having to baby sit a teenager while trying to up skills and promotions for their parents seems to be a chore, and no fun at all.

I guess you could do it as a boarding school, but that is even less of an universal experience, usually reserved for the wealthy only and only in very very few countries at that.

University I get, by the times your Sim kids are YA, you usually move them to a new house and play them instead of their parents (at least I do that) so having them move to a dorm for a bit first is only logical and you don't have to juggle the rest of the family while you're there. But again my main issue with this is "Why high school?" at all? From a Swedish perspective the only real difference between grades 10 to 12 is that they aren't mandatory by unlike grades 1 to 9 so it is legal to quit school. That's it.

Curious, as when searching for "Sweden compulsory education" I got this:

In the Swedish school system, children go to school for at least ten years from the year they turn six, as mandated by the Swedish Education Act.

Compulsory schooling
    Swedish compulsory schooling consists of four stages: förskoleklass (‘preschool year’ or year 0), lågstadiet (years 1–3), mellanstadiet (years 4–6) and högstadiet (years 7–9).

Upper secondary school
    Gymnasium (upper secondary school, sixth form or high school, years 10–12) is optional.

Also, like in other EU countries, minimum legal age of employment is 16y/o.

Not sure what the question is? It basically lines up with what I said?

You made it sound as of there were no high schools in Sweden and education followed the same pattern as in grade schools. Maybe it's like in my country where you can go to a -sort of- continuous school that teaches every grade but you also have grade schools that only teach compulsory education and high schools that only teach optional under age education.

Edit: do you have "professional schools" over there? I mean, schools where you can get a professional qualification that's not a university diploma, like mechanics, electrician, thatcher, cook, etc.
    Happy simming!
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Nerds has nothing to do with bullying outside hollywood; I am willing to bet at least one kid in each class was borderline suicide at least once a month; it is statistically the case in all schools everywhere. It's just that the kids not being either bullies or bullied a lot of times block out the obvious signs.

ANYWAY, I know what a prom is, I am just saying it's something that is very much an Anglo-centric phenomenon afaik. But I guess that would be like the student loans, half the players think they are too low, half the players thinks they are too high, because that's the local player's experience with them IRL.

Does Sweden not have dances for teens? No type of ball season?

I can see that specific traditions like Homecoming and Prom may be too associated with American teens, but I thought most countries had dancing of some sort. Maybe some sort of celebratory dance could be an option where specific traditions can be chosen or omitted like in the wedding events. Or players could just ignore it altogether. Which, even in America, many do.

Anyway, it is interesting to learn about school and the teen years in Sweden.

Post edited by telemwill on
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2022
    Heh, just noticed this thread. Personally, I'm kind of iffy. On one hand, I do require highschool-based content for story-telling purposes, but I can't see this being very interesting gameplay-wise. I use Discover University more for, well, story-telling and its setting, not because I find doing classes all that fun. I do find finally earning a degree somewhat entertaining, but I don't see this pack doing all that much for me, if Discover University is anything to go by. The only thing I'm really hoping for is proper bands, I guess. But even then, I think I might want that in its own pack, like a GP focused on showtime and performance or something like that.

Since the purposes of school is about character growth and development in the usual stories on it, it'd be a good opportunity to introduce more depth to Sims, like what University in the Sims 3 did by adding more trait columns. One-sided relationships could make a return and a proper attraction system. But even then, I see myself using those gameplay elements more instead of making my Sims go to highschool. And they might be base-game updates anyway.

Not too much of a family player either, further lowering interest in this pack for me. Think I'll pay more attention to the Werewolf side of things. Still, I hope the pack is good, if it's legit.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited June 2022
    Whatever happened to bands?
    I thought all the concert in the park events thing was a hint that bands were coming.
    I thought they were experimenting with a system to have your sims give performances.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I thought all the concert in the park events thing was a hint that bands were coming.
    I thought they were experimenting with a system to have your sims give performances.

me to @CK213
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    I know better than to set any expectations but here are my hopes for the HS pack (although how that is an expansion pack is beyond me):
    *Teens should be allowed to choose a track toward college, trade school, gap year, or straight into career
    *Teachers - we should have more control over them in classroom interactions, be required to do continuing ed
    *Faculty/Staff meetings - seriously these can be fun (maybe a snarky teacher can create a faculty bingo card to share with other teachers)
    *for non-teachers, we play these bingo cards during meetings and have things like when a particular faculty member asks questions that were already answered, technical difficulties, reading from powerpoint, being told to not ask for a raise and be happy we have jobs, etc...
    *Parent-Teacher meetings
    *Administrators can host meetings, decide discipline, curriculum, etc.
    *There should be options for school system types - European country types, US type, etc - this would include how classes are scheduled, entrance and continuation exams (although the US type would be filled with these stupid standardized tests)
    *There should be public, private, military, charter, magnet (specialized curriculum), online, homeschool options
    *Sims would be able to start their own charter school or homeschool group. Fundraise, advertise, design, etc.
    *If we had cars, drivers ed would be huge - hmmm maybe that is how it will be an expansion pack - finally adding cars

Frankly for me IRL high school was a nightmare that I am so glad I survived and never, ever have to revisit in any form whatsoever. Not sure how I am going to feel about this pack.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    If they are doing a High School experience I really hope they focus more on the social aspect and the different groups you might meet at school instead of homework and classes. I didnt find DU to be fun at all and I dont want another version of it. I also hope they account for rotational players this time.
  • Options
    Nicocacola1992Nicocacola1992 Posts: 23 Member
    In the UK, high school students can sometimes do apprenticeships when they're 16-18 years old. They could expand on that and introduce careers like plumber, hair dresser, etc, that only sims with apprenticeships can get.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member

This is what I thought too.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    We need radio stations
    • Geek rock station for the high school EP
    • R&B radio station for the base game while proms will be exclusive to high school EP

Okay let me get on board with this R&B Station...I need a pool table... I need some sports...Maybe some better game type/arcade type stuff to give them their own sensational Game room hang out lot...
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    So... I'm still not convinced this is the next EP. But thinking on the idea more and hoping it's not just High School (though that will likely get the largest focus) I'd like to see: (this may repeat other people's lists.)

* Different school options: Public School (as it is now) Private school, homeschool. There needs to also be a balance of pros and cons, mechanically, in the various school types. Maybe Private School could be Active career, and Homeschool could be "Gig" based or Work From Home.
    * Pre-school option for toddlers, but only if they have communication, thinking and potty at at least 3. Sends them to a 3-4 hour rabbit hole where they can gain skills.
    * Speaking of skill gain, school of all types should provide a small skill gain. For children, it can be a small gain in all skills, for teens maybe logic -since that's the catch all knowledge skill - and 1-2 skills as "electives" The gains can be tiny, but there should be some skill gain there.
    * More after school activities. I've already mentioned that. Sports teams, social clubs, academic clubs, volunteer clubs. There should be multiple clubs for everyone. And your sims should be able to belong to more than one - provided they don't clash, time wise.
    * After School activities need "vacation" so that you don't loose progress for not going when your family goes on vacation or there's a holiday.
    * school holidays. Preferably ones we can set ourselves now that we have the calendar.
    * School events - Dances, sport events, academic decathlons - all the stuff I mostly ignored in high school
    * I personally don't want uniforms, but they're common enough that I think the option to set the school uniform should be there.
    * PTAs. I know they're an American thing, and I avoided the one at my kid's high school because it was straight out of a sitcom depiction of one, but it's something for the adult sims.
    * And since this is an EP and we can have multiple things - Cars and Bands. :wink:
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

I can see that specific traditions like Homecoming and Prom may be too associated with American teens, but I thought most countries had dancing of some sort. Maybe some sort of celebratory dance could be an option where specific traditions can be chosen or omitted like in the wedding events. Or players could just ignore it altogether. Which, even in America, many do.

We have a Ducklings Ball in my country, organized by older students for newcomers. 😂
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I would like to see boarding school and private school options. With benefits of children and teens gaining skills or points toward their parenthood values. I don't care much for going to school with them, it'll probably be boring. I liked the 'teach how to drive' and 'prom' in Sims 3, but that came with generations. I also loved that teens could do tricks and stuff.
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    There is a new scenario that challenges you to raise a kid from infancy (!) to their teenage years. I wonder if that's forshadowing a possible baby update in addition to a school EP.

I think this makes sense actually...Hmmm, 🤔 interesting

• Options

We have "Get drunk and throw up a lot" parties the last month before graduation, I guess. Not officially organized by the school of course, but the class president with friends.
    No official dances organized by the schools up until 10 years ago but knowing how much that is imported from America I wouldn't be surprised if it is more common now.

This reminds me of a discussion that came up a lot on expat forums in Sweden (my wife's American) where a lot of Americans wondered why there are no school sport teams in Sweden and "how we create a school spirit" and we swedes just asked back "why would we want to create a school spirit?". It kind of has the same vibe; I have never understood the need to dance with class mates.

Kids here just view School as "work, but for kids". You don't have company balls or "company spirit" either.
  • Options

We have "Get drunk and throw up a lot" parties the last month before graduation, I guess. Not officially organized by the school of course, but the class president with friends.
    No official dances organized by the schools up until 10 years ago but knowing how much that is imported from America I wouldn't be surprised if it is more common now.

This reminds me of a discussion that came up a lot on expat forums in Sweden (my wife's American) where a lot of Americans wondered why there are no school sport teams in Sweden and "how we create a school spirit" and we swedes just asked back "why would we want to create a school spirit?". It kind of has the same vibe; I have never understood the need to dance with class mates.

Kids here just view School as "work, but for kids". You don't have company balls or "company spirit" either.

Thanks! I haven't had a lot of opportunity to travel, so it's good to learn how other people do things differently.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Maybe bands will come in High School? I want bands so badly.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.