Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Update Is Here!

Comments

• Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I am thrilled for this update. Currently adding non-binary pronouns where applicable. I would love the option for alternate names for mother/father, brother/sister etc. I would love to be able to use mami/papi, mama/papa, mommy/mama, daddy/dad and pops, granny, grammy, etc. I don’t think I’ve used policeman/policewoman in decades so police officer or just officer would suffice. I mean when you apply for the job there are no specific listings that say policeman or policewoman, you simply apply to be a police officer. I am all for adding options for everyone. Someone else being included does not exclude you. Inclusion does not equate to erasure.
  • Options
    Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm Non-Binary and I use He/They pronouns, but the game only allows me to use he/them which is a bit strange.
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I'm Non-Binary and I use He/They pronouns, but the game only allows me to use he/them which is a bit strange.

You can set your own; the pre-selected list is the most common ones.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Exactly. Your royalty, if you have any, and Judith Ward can be properly addressed now.

I can't wait to see some of the titles Judith gets.🤣

Hmmmm.... 🤔 now you've got my mind running in overdrive.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,848 Member
    Exactly. Your royalty, if you have any, and Judith Ward can be properly addressed now.

I can't wait to see some of the titles Judith gets.🤣

Hmmmm.... 🤔 now you've got my mind running in overdrive.

I'm glad to help. I'm good at being a bad influence.😇

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Congratulations for those who have been waiting forever for this update! So far, from what I see, they did a great job on this and did consider the few concerns that were brought up.

It will be interesting to explore some of the "titles" and alternates that can be played with using the custom feature.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    VeeDub wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    AWW YIBS TIME TO CHANGE IT ALL INTO ΜØŦĦ€Ř

btw anyone have ideas which premades would use they/them cause i guess i should set those for them

Morgyn Ember and Darling Walsh seem non-binary to me. I think Lia is MTF trans, so will be she/her, if she isn't already.

I always assumed that Lia was meant to represent Māhū or other Polynesian cultural third-gender people. I could be wrong, but that's what she is in my game. In saves wherein she appears (in my game), I'll be keeping the "she/her" pronouns because storywise I consider her gender to be more of a cultural and spiritual part of her identity (haʻawahine) than a literally transgendered person in the context of the modern usage. Of course, other players may see Lia in their own way and should feel free to call her/them whatever they personally feel most comfortable with. :)

I also consider Lia to be third gender, and Morgyn Ember’s original programming implies no sexuality with gender fluidity, to me. I’d like to present Morgyn as asexual and fully androgynous, but it’s hard to do without mods to lock romance down. It’s also hard to get an androgynous look when there are so few clothing options and the female bustline always shows in female tops. So, for now, Morgyn leans masculine in my game until I can find more androgynous clothing options.

I can totally see Morgyn the way you described, in my mind's eye, anyway. You're so right about it being difficult to achieve a truly androgynous look in the game. I've tried and given up a number of times with other sims. Maybe one day! Out of curiosity, are you using the masculine pronouns for Morgyn, or will you use new ones?
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

Just yesterday, we expressed in our article about the pronoun update that we wished we had the ability to ask Sims their pronouns and have those pronouns show up in the Sim Info panel. Not even 24 hours later, a modder has granted our wish.

Lumpinou‘s Ask/Tell Pronouns mod adds this simple but important social option to the game following the pronoun update. You will be able to tell other Sims your Sim’s pronouns, ask other Sims about their pronouns, and the game will remember those pronouns going forward.

Read more here:
    https://simscommunity.info/2022/05/26/the-sims-4-pronouns-mod/
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited May 2022

btw anyone have ideas which premades would use they/them cause i guess i should set those for them

Morgyn Ember and Darling Walsh seem non-binary to me. I think Lia is MTF trans, so will be she/her, if she isn't already.

I always assumed that Lia was meant to represent Māhū or other Polynesian cultural third-gender people. I could be wrong, but that's what she is in my game. In saves wherein she appears (in my game), I'll be keeping the "she/her" pronouns because storywise I consider her gender to be more of a cultural and spiritual part of her identity (haʻawahine) than a literally transgendered person in the context of the modern usage. Of course, other players may see Lia in their own way and should feel free to call her/them whatever they personally feel most comfortable with. :)

I also consider Lia to be third gender, and Morgyn Ember’s original programming implies no sexuality with gender fluidity, to me. I’d like to present Morgyn as asexual and fully androgynous, but it’s hard to do without mods to lock romance down. It’s also hard to get an androgynous look when there are so few clothing options and the female bustline always shows in female tops. So, for now, Morgyn leans masculine in my game until I can find more androgynous clothing options.

I can totally see Morgyn the way you described, in my mind's eye, anyway. You're so right about it being difficult to achieve a truly androgynous look in the game. I've tried and given up a number of times with other sims. Maybe one day! Out of curiosity, are you using the masculine pronouns for Morgyn, or will you use new ones?

In game, I’ve set Morgyn to they/them for now, but I may actually do something custom later. In my game Morgyn is one of a kind, so a unique pronoun might be in order. In my stories and posts I’ll leave the masculine pronouns for consistency, until I decide. I try to convey the Yin side with a heavier use of eye makeup and jewelry than is default, and convey the Yang side with softly masculine clothing. Most of Morgyn’s pants are actually female. It’s the tops we have problems with. I have managed to lock down preferences to 0 though, which is something considering the game’s love of random flirting.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

In game, I’ve set Morgyn to they/them for now, but I may actually do something custom later. In my game Morgyn is one of a kind, so a unique pronoun might be in order. In my stories and posts I’ll leave the masculine pronouns for consistency, until I decide. I try to convey the Yin side with a heavier use of eye makeup and jewelry than is default, and convey the Yang side with softly masculine clothing. Most of Morgyn’s pants are actually female. It’s the tops we have problems with. I have managed to lock down preferences to 0 though, which is something considering the game’s love of random flirting.

I really like your approach, and although I don't specifically play Morgyn myself, it makes sense that he/they would be unique. I've attempted a few androgynous sims before (not all at the same time or in the same save) but I never tried to create one who was asexual. I can imagine the problems you have to overcome to do that, though, especially with the game's renowned flirty factor, as you said. Geez, it's difficult enough just keeping my bisexual sims bisexual while still allowing fluidity in their preferences. :grimace:

But back to pronouns, I currently only have one actively played sim who might need a change, but for now he's still he/him because that's how he's been called from the time I created him. He's a non-binary character who presents as male, considers himself neither male nor female, but has no problems with whatever people choose to call him. So I don't know if I'll change pronouns in that case just because I now can. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2022

That's what I did, I set my own mixed pronouns, but it won't let me use he/they, it's he/them instead, tried to change it about, but it didn't work.
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Congratulations for those who have been waiting forever for this update! So far, from what I see, they did a great job on this and did consider the few concerns that were brought up.

It will be interesting to explore some of the "titles" and alternates that can be played with using the custom feature.

I agree they did great
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

That's what I did, I set my own mixed pronouns, but it won't let me use he/they, it's he/them instead, tried to change it about, but it didn't work.

Ah. Sorry about that.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member

Just yesterday, we expressed in our article about the pronoun update that we wished we had the ability to ask Sims their pronouns and have those pronouns show up in the Sim Info panel. Not even 24 hours later, a modder has granted our wish.

Lumpinou‘s Ask/Tell Pronouns mod adds this simple but important social option to the game following the pronoun update. You will be able to tell other Sims your Sim’s pronouns, ask other Sims about their pronouns, and the game will remember those pronouns going forward.

Read more here:
    https://simscommunity.info/2022/05/26/the-sims-4-pronouns-mod/

That’s a great mod! 😎👍

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    Grim Reaper is a special case in French

"She/Her" is usually used for Death ("La Mort") or the Great Reaper ("La Grande Faucheuse")
    but I prefer to say "He/him" for the Soul Reaper ("Le Faucheur d'âmes")
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Just wanted to add that as someone who has been playing since TS1, although I can't think of any specific examples offhand, I have a dim recollection that there have been many small features added over the years that have initially made me think, "oh, that's nice for those who wanted it, but it's not something I personally need," only to realize over time that those features do enhance my gameplay, sometimes in unexpected ways.

It's like how you don't always realize your feet are chilly in the winter until you slip them into a nice pair of cozy slippers... that "ahhh" moment of something making your life easier than you anticipated.
  • Options
    fluffythebunnyxfluffythebunnyx Posts: 2 New Member
    > @halloweenchild said:
    > Nah, they just went to Twitter for their research. No need to dig deeper, Twitter is as deep as they need to go when researching topics. Especially ones for the LGBT+ community, not like there's any nuance at all. /S

aha trans rights for your sims!!! but dont worry you can still make transphobic sims! its not as if theres not another lesbian flag either, they included 2 variations of the sunset one too...
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Jumping in again.

You can even set pronouns for cats and dogs!
    So if you want to do that, go ahead.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited May 2022
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Jumping in again.

Are people considering their pets to be nonbinary too or is this something added for fun, because of the unique titles ( i.e highness) possible?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Jumping in again.

Are people considering their pets to be nonbinary too or is this something added for fun, because of the unique titles ( i.e highness) possible?

My first thought was of how to describe a neutered animal as, perhaps, it or even using a made up word (please don't hate on me, I have a strange sense of humor, ok?), but then I started thinking about the extra-specialness of some pets. After all, the game has Mayor Whiskers, right? Shouldn't he be referred to in a cool way? Your/His/Her Honor, perhaps? And yes, your highness, precious, etc would be great.
  • Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    Jumping in again.

I think its just for fun, or honestly as a coding oversight that was left in because it'd be more complicated to remove.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Judith Ward is tapping me on the shoulder asking if she can use the Royal We (We/Our, etc)... or at least upgrade she/her to She/Her.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Jumping in again.

I guess at spanish and other languages where cats has 2 terms for male and female, also dogs, and plural is the male plural, could make a neutral plural
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Jumping in again.

yes there is a children's book where the dog is nonbinary so as far as I can see its a thing now @StrawberryYogurt
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Jumping in again.

yes there is a children's book where the dog is nonbinary so as far as I can see its a thing now @StrawberryYogurt

🤨 ......
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top