Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Possible occult hint?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimsJediSimsJedi Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2022
    Not to stir the pot or anything, but I was thinking about Sims fairies today and how they might be done. There's no way that a fairy pack will satisfy every occult Simmer (TS4 has yet to give us any super dark occults and I doubt they're going to start now, for example). So I tried to brainstorm things that make sense within the realm of what TS4 has given us with other occults.

Simple Fairies: Like aliens or mermaids are in the game right now. These fairies would likely be included as a side feature in a larger pack not really focused on them. (Honestly, for fairies, I think this is a likely scenario, since they're an easy thing to package into a broad variety of packs like woodland, medieval, or fantasy.) Fairies include different unique customizations, like wings and eyes and makeup. They use a unique energy bar to cast spells, and have both Charisma interactions (Tinkerbell style spells and good magic) and Mischief interactions (pranks and more malicious spells). They have unique moods such as gaining energy under moonlight like in earlier games, and unique whims like wanting to use their fairy powers. They will likely have be good at gardening, too, like in earlier games. Normal Sims can become Fairies by doing a moonlight ritual at a fairy ring, stone circle, or strange tree somewhere in the pack's included world.

Complex Fairies: If we get a full pack like Vampires or Realm of Magic, we could have all of the above and a few more features. In the perk tree, you could decide what path your fairy can go. They could be an Unseelie style dark fairy, focusing on malicious spells and pranks. They can be a Seelie/Tinkerbell style good fairy, doing blessing spells and helping people. They have a path for previous game's fairy features like living longer or replenishing spell power with moonlight. They also have a path for their green thumb/nature powers, since that was something they could do in previous games. I think it would be a cool feature of this path in particular if Fairies could turn Sims into PlantSims, since people have also been asking for a PlantSim refresh, and these two things would fit together nicely. I think another nice addition not found in previous Sims games would be if fairies also had a boost to music skills and dancing as well as gardening, since these are a big part of fairy folklore.

Complex Fairies From The Other Side: I think a wonderful addition to a fairy pack would be a trait for The Sight. Sims with this trait could identify fairies around them, like the special interactions to identify mermaids in Island Living, but with a pack. Sims who look too hard for the Fair Folk could occasionally be abducted by them (missing for an hour or so in game) and come back with unique moods from their experience, similar to Scientists and Aliens in Get To Work. Sims who wander into the aforementioned fairy ring/stone circle/strange grove would have an extra chance to have an encounter with the Fair Folk.

I think these ideas are all fairly well in reason to expect for a TS4-style pack. I tried to base all of these on features we've already seen in the game or similar. I think hoping for anything more complex than this will inevitably lead people to be disappointed.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    SimsJedi wrote: »
    Not to stir the pot or anything, but I was thinking about Sims fairies today and how they might be done. There's no way that a fairy pack will satisfy every occult Simmer (TS4 has yet to give us any super dark occults and I doubt they're going to start now, for example). So I tried to brainstorm things that make sense within the realm of what TS4 has given us with other occults.

Simple Fairies: Like aliens or mermaids are in the game right now. These fairies would likely be included as a side feature in a larger pack not really focused on them. (Honestly, for fairies, I think this is a likely scenario, since they're an easy thing to package into a broad variety of packs like woodland, medieval, or fantasy.) Fairies include different unique customizations, like wings and eyes and makeup. They use a unique energy bar to cast spells, and have both Charisma interactions (Tinkerbell style spells and good magic) and Mischief interactions (pranks and more malicious spells). They have unique moods such as gaining energy under moonlight like in earlier games, and unique whims like wanting to use their fairy powers. They will likely have be good at gardening, too, like in earlier games. Normal Sims can become Fairies by doing a moonlight ritual at a fairy ring, stone circle, or strange tree somewhere in the pack's included world.

Complex Fairies: If we get a full pack like Vampires or Realm of Magic, we could have all of the above and a few more features. In the perk tree, you could decide what path your fairy can go. They could be an Unseelie style dark fairy, focusing on malicious spells and pranks. They can be a Seelie/Tinkerbell style good fairy, doing blessing spells and helping people. They have a path for previous game's fairy features like living longer or replenishing spell power with moonlight. They also have a path for their green thumb/nature powers, since that was something they could do in previous games. I think it would be a cool feature of this path in particular if Fairies could turn Sims into PlantSims, since people have also been asking for a PlantSim refresh, and these two things would fit together nicely. I think another nice addition not found in previous Sims games would be if fairies also had a boost to music skills and dancing as well as gardening, since these are a big part of fairy folklore.

Complex Fairies From The Other Side: I think a wonderful addition to a fairy pack would be a trait for The Sight. Sims with this trait could identify fairies around them, like the special interactions to identify mermaids in Island Living, but with a pack. Sims who look too hard for the Fair Folk could occasionally be abducted by them (missing for an hour or so in game) and come back with unique moods from their experience, similar to Scientists and Aliens in Get To Work. Sims who wander into the aforementioned fairy ring/stone circle/strange grove would have an extra chance to have an encounter with the Fair Folk.

I think these ideas are all fairly well in reason to expect for a TS4-style pack. I tried to base all of these on features we've already seen in the game or similar. I think hoping for anything more complex than this will inevitably lead people to be disappointed.

I feel 1 and 2 would be most likely, yes.

I feel like Realm of Magic was a missed opportunity to introduce fairies that are similar to the ones from Sims 3. Basically, spellcasters with customization on teeth, ears, and wings, but maybe add more dangerous spells as well as mischievous spells and garden or nature spells and such.

That’s a simplified form of one type of fairy I felt I could have expected in Sims 4 that I felt could have been introduced in Realm of Magic.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    SimsJedi wrote: »

I think 1 is more possible. As I have mentioned in other post, the "simple" occults are the one who always "born" as occult. For example, an alien should be born as an alien, and mermaid should be born as a mermaid. We seldom heard that people were turned to alien or mermaid permanently in stories or mangas (See Ariel's daughter was born as human, she can just maintain her mermaid body in a short period with the spell in The Little Mermaid 2)

For the occults which are having skill trees, are the one who can be turned to. Like vampires and werewolves were turn when human is bitten by them, and human can become a spellcaster if they are properly trained.
  • Options
    jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I mean, for me, my frustration with the Tinkerbelle model is that the Victorians basically "nerfed" faeries to make them more palatable "For the Children" and now that's what most people assume is the default of "how they've always been" when that's certainly not the case. I've actually had people suggest that I'm trying to be "edgy" by "making" them dark, when I'm just acknowledging their true origins.

But I also don't mind if pixies are one kind of fae and when I use the term "Pretty Pixies" I'm literally just describing them. What most people think of when they think Fae are pretty little things with wings, sometimes associated with mild pranks and gardens. I could call it the Thumbelina model just as easily. When I say "True Fae" I don't mean to say that Pixies aren't "real" faeries. I just mean that the modern vision of Faerie being limited to Pixies doesn't represent the actual breadth of what Faerie really is, and knowing the variety that is out there (especially when extended to beings that serve the same narrative purpose as Faeries in non-Celtic folklore) I can't help but dream of more options.

Tinkerbelle isn't a "nerfed" version of fairies, They're just pixies and pixies are a species of faeries. Although I understand what you mean, I just think Pixies always had this kind image since like ever unlike changelings, gnomes and such.
  • Options
    ImDragoneImDragone Posts: 76 Member
    I want fae. :(
    I want sprites/bees, pixies/dragonflies, faeiries/butterflies, mayflies (headwings & footwings), and mothies. And, to be able to mix them with hybridized looks, such as smaller pixie wings, or a combination of pixie and mayfly wings (my favorite!)!
    I want to play a gecko ("alien" with a gecko face showing above the personality in CAS, and with gecko eye variations) mixed with cat spellcaster, mayfly, large-back-winged pixie, and sprite for speed without making the wings smaller, so they're extra strong to carry a couple of other people around while flying.