Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Customizable Pronouns First Look

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Lecca wrote: »
    Really upsetting that a game that allows us to customize characters is giving us more customization options. I already decide my sims name, age, clothes, hair color, eye color, traits, preferences, posture, foot size, how far their ears stick out, etc. but I draw the line at having to click a drop down menu. And they want us to have a few more words on the screen??? They’ve gone too far. Seems like they’re going to continue making sims more complex, personable, and unique. Soon everyone will be able to make sims exactly how they want. How terrible.

Everyone? I truly hope so.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    I've probably missed it if it was mentioned, but is this a feature that only the player will control fully in CaS, or will the game hand out specific pronouns to townies and generated townies? Here's to hoping I won't have to choose pronouns every time I create a male or female Sim.

Not too keen on having it on display under my Sims names all the time, but I guess one'd get used to it after a while.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Okay. Here's my thing. As I said in another thread, I like that they made the options flexible. People are free to make up whatever they want. But I also do not want any pronouns showing up in live mode with the Sim's name. This is where the game stops being the fictional world of my own choosing ("play your way", right??) and starts to force real world drama into my face. The whole reason I play this game is to create my own world, how I want it, and as far away from reality as I want it. My Sims don't need gender identity because they are fictional beings in a fictional world existing in fictional ways and they don't have social politics. They don't need pronouns, especially in real world languages because they speak Simlish. They don't need inclusion because it's not an issue in the first place in their world. So I would very much appreciate it if we could default to a Sim's sex, the way all of the past games have, and make this pronoun thing optional altogether.

I know it's going to be hard for some people to understand, but I play this game for escapism, amusement, laughter and to weave whatever my creativity demands in the moment. My real life has been hard and I want to leave it behind when I load up the game. I don't play for political ideals or realistic life conquests or Utopias. I play for me. And if the company truly wants to claim inclusivity, how about sticking to the long-time brand idea that every player makes the game what they want it to be? Isn't that the purpose of the Sims 4 campaign when they say things like, "you do you, wherever you want to"? The entire pronoun movement is for a specific group of people. Power to them, they should have it in their games if they want it, I'm not trying to contradict that. But why does it look like it's becoming a core focus that all players are going to have to deal with? Are rotational players who play a bazillion Sims (like me) going to have to go through a bunch of nonsense and select pronouns for every single one just so the game can recognize them? And what happens if we don't? Where does the game default? If it defaults to non-binary because of the language of pronouns, then does that mean the mechanics will never be able to incorporate sexual identities like gay or straight? Because that's a problem. You can't claim to be "inclusive" and not allow for sexual identities too, especially when past games did.

See, this is the main problem that I see people having with the entire pronoun argument. It leads into gay/straight erasure because suddenly people aren't "allowed" to have gender (or rather, sex) preferences or it's considered some kind of phobic. I have a gay friend who plays Sims and straight up wants all of his Sims to be exclusively gay. I have a lesbian friend who is self-described "butch" who is constantly being "pronoun analyzed" in real life because she wears men's clothes, plays male characters in rpgs and renaissance faires and has male alter egos, yet proudly identifies as a woman and wants an exclusively female world. But in seven years our Sims haven't even shown a semblance of sexual identity and even autonomously flirt with random other Sims. We have no way of choosing preferences and the game doesn't seem to even acknowledge our choices. If all Sims become gender neutral by default just so the scripting can accommodate pronouns, does this mean we will never have these choices? I'm sorry, but that's upsetting.

I don't really want to be the one running around and yelling "the sky is falling" because of one sneak peek. Maybe in the end it will all work out. But I do want to make sure that the devs have truly considered what they're doing and how it will affect the game (and players) down the line.

This is exactly how I feel about this whole situation. I honestly hate all this pronoun hype and I wish we could just keep real life things out of the game. And I think that this pronoun trend will pass in a few years too. So all of this feels so unnecessary. But, as long as they make it optional, then great. But I'm still worried that they will try make everything gender neutral to please the minority.
    I agree. The Sims 4 is going to age so poorly.

Yeah, just like the "gay people" will disappear too, right?
    Gay ≠ gob/gobli/gobs/gobs/gobliself
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Also from what they were saying this is most likely how it'd look in game

dqqn232.png

Ooof. I really hope they change their minds on the placement. That looks really cluttered. I think it'd look better in the Sim Profiles.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Okay. Here's my thing. As I said in another thread, I like that they made the options flexible. People are free to make up whatever they want. But I also do not want any pronouns showing up in live mode with the Sim's name. This is where the game stops being the fictional world of my own choosing ("play your way", right??) and starts to force real world drama into my face. The whole reason I play this game is to create my own world, how I want it, and as far away from reality as I want it. My Sims don't need gender identity because they are fictional beings in a fictional world existing in fictional ways and they don't have social politics. They don't need pronouns, especially in real world languages because they speak Simlish. They don't need inclusion because it's not an issue in the first place in their world. So I would very much appreciate it if we could default to a Sim's sex, the way all of the past games have, and make this pronoun thing optional altogether.

I know it's going to be hard for some people to understand, but I play this game for escapism, amusement, laughter and to weave whatever my creativity demands in the moment. My real life has been hard and I want to leave it behind when I load up the game. I don't play for political ideals or realistic life conquests or Utopias. I play for me. And if the company truly wants to claim inclusivity, how about sticking to the long-time brand idea that every player makes the game what they want it to be? Isn't that the purpose of the Sims 4 campaign when they say things like, "you do you, wherever you want to"? The entire pronoun movement is for a specific group of people. Power to them, they should have it in their games if they want it, I'm not trying to contradict that. But why does it look like it's becoming a core focus that all players are going to have to deal with? Are rotational players who play a bazillion Sims (like me) going to have to go through a bunch of nonsense and select pronouns for every single one just so the game can recognize them? And what happens if we don't? Where does the game default? If it defaults to non-binary because of the language of pronouns, then does that mean the mechanics will never be able to incorporate sexual identities like gay or straight? Because that's a problem. You can't claim to be "inclusive" and not allow for sexual identities too, especially when past games did.

See, this is the main problem that I see people having with the entire pronoun argument. It leads into gay/straight erasure because suddenly people aren't "allowed" to have gender (or rather, sex) preferences or it's considered some kind of phobic. I have a gay friend who plays Sims and straight up wants all of his Sims to be exclusively gay. I have a lesbian friend who is self-described "butch" who is constantly being "pronoun analyzed" in real life because she wears men's clothes, plays male characters in rpgs and renaissance faires and has male alter egos, yet proudly identifies as a woman and wants an exclusively female world. But in seven years our Sims haven't even shown a semblance of sexual identity and even autonomously flirt with random other Sims. We have no way of choosing preferences and the game doesn't seem to even acknowledge our choices. If all Sims become gender neutral by default just so the scripting can accommodate pronouns, does this mean we will never have these choices? I'm sorry, but that's upsetting.

I don't really want to be the one running around and yelling "the sky is falling" because of one sneak peek. Maybe in the end it will all work out. But I do want to make sure that the devs have truly considered what they're doing and how it will affect the game (and players) down the line.

I feel that the team showed yesterday that they were approaching this topic with respect and a healthy amount of caution that it deserves, and that they also showed that this was far from fully fleshed out at the current stage as all the in game content showcased was a work in progress.

I've no idea if this will be an optional aspect that can be enabled/disabled or not, but there is a lot of speculation in your post and other posts in this thread at the moment, none of which has been formally announced by Maxis.

All I'm asking is that you reserve judgement until we have more to offer you in terms of information on this project.

That's fair and I will respect that. I know that the devs work hard to try to balance things and I just wanted to voice my concerns because things like this can get messy and some aspects could get overlooked. It's obviously a very important topic and touches on a lot of personal reality for many people. But I've spoken those concerns and will now wait to see how it unfolds.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Okay, thank you for posting an ingame screenshot. I'm not convinced if that is really necessary. I think the informations about the prefered pronouncement belong into the sim profil and not on a name tag. C'mon, where stays the fun and curiosity to get to know a sim? The hunt for the right sim, to stay together until I the player decide to end their life? We can ask a sim about everything, and they will answer with the time. Same opinion I have with the club membership, this shouldn't be visible on the nametag too.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Daravi wrote: »
    Same opinion I have with the club membership, this shouldn't be visible on the nametag too.

I actually think nothing other than the Sim's name should show in Live mode on the name tag. It's just too busy showing Life Stage, Celebrity Status, Club memberships... get rid of all that and I'd be happier. Or, at the very least, hide all of it behind a modifier key so it only shows up if you also hold down the shift key or something.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I thought they would be further along than showing us a concept art but I don't really like the placement near the name. I feel there should be a profile category in CAS. I would put information like pronouns, sexuality, relationship status, hometown, currently live and career in the profile. The hometown option is to create a background story. You could say your sims is from Strangerville but currently lives in Willow Creek. Then there could be an option to like or dislike hometown. Just a thought.

Hm that's interesting but I would like this to particularly choose which 'homeless' townies spawn as walkbys in which worlds. This would be an awesome addition for players that want that type of immersion. @EA_Cade

Sims have profiles with their careers on it and dating status, player's just can't access it without going into live mode. Some profile options should be accessible through CAS. The pronouns should be there. The option to designate a hometown. I would like that for gameplay and storytelling purpose.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I have respect for Maxis (especially for people like SimGuruConor) but these last few years I have wondered about the direction this game is going and where the focus is. I think it's fair to say as someone who have played the game since 2014, it doesn't feel like the focus is to make a fun game anymore.

The focus is very clear. Allowing as many as possible to be represented in the game. Doesn't matter what the game was like 5, 10 15 years ago. This is the reality. If its no longer fun players will have to decide whether they want to continue. Or not.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I guess having the pronouns show under the name in live mode could be useful for streamers, but I'd rather not see the pronouns all the time when I hover over a sim and I hope it will be moved in sim's profile. I think it's easy enough to find the information there.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022
    If they can do this they can definitely extend any character cap for names, add in nicknames, add in suffixes (Jr, Dr, Sr) etc. Maybe they will add them at some point.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I have respect for Maxis (especially for people like SimGuruConor) but these last few years I have wondered about the direction this game is going and where the focus is. I think it's fair to say as someone who have played the game since 2014, it doesn't feel like the focus is to make a fun game anymore.

The focus is very clear. Allowing as many as possible to be represented in the game. Doesn't matter what the game was like 5, 10 15 years ago. This is the reality. If its no longer fun players will have to decide whether they want to continue. Or not.

This. I don't really see a problem with adding things like this. It's great that more people will feel represented! :)
    He/Him
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Aesthetically I don't like the pronoun titles where we've seen them depicted so far. I think having pronoun titles along the name bar or in the age group id bubble is really cluttered looking but having it down in the age group id bubble is better than up by the sim's name. Maybe just displaying two of the pronouns instead of three would be less cluttered looking, She/Her, He/Him, They/Them? Or She, He, They?

I also think choosing or setting pronouns should be completely optional. If players want to set them and use them they can and if they don't wish to they don't have to set any pronouns at all. Maybe a ticky box to display/not display the gender pronouns titles would work too.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »

This. I bought the game to play it not to be represented in it. The past couple of years the focus was mainly on self representation as if this was some avatar based virtual reality chat. .

Maybe thats because they do want Sims 5 to be an avatar based virtual reality chat. If the rumors are true about Sims 5 being multiplayer, subscription based etc :/ maybe these are steps theyre taking now that theyll implement later...in the meantime im still playing Sims 2. If they do that i wouldnt want pronouns displayed anywhere. If its in a online multiplayer world thats out of my control. But in my own personal game, i dont want to see them period.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    What good is it to be represented in a game that is being neglected?

What I'd like to see is not less representation, but more balance between representation and other priorities. More balance between CAS and BB, Live Mode, world-building.

This. I bought the game to play it not to be represented in it. The past couple of years the focus was mainly on self representation as if this was some avatar based virtual reality chat. Just add the option for gender reassignment in the game and with a change of pronouns and some social interactions and be done with it. I want to play the game not be stuck in CAS selecting personality details for my sims.

That might be how you feel, but others feel different. This is a good thing.
    He/Him
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I'm really happy for the simmers that don't indenitfy themselves as a gender, that they can really now represent themselves in the game, but I hope for me personally that we have an option to turn this off, I'd say I'm a simmer that all my sims do indenitfy themselves as a gender and this would eventually annoy me while creating a sim if this pops up.....like all the time
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'd prefer the sims pronouns to be on their profile and not on the hover over. It's not vitally important info that my sim needs to know at a glance without even talking to someone.