Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Customizable Pronouns First Look

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    If they do announce Sims 5 I imagine this will be a feature as well. I just hope they allow traditional simmers to play the way they want to as well. I see lots of games now deleting sex/gender altogether, just assigning body types and pronouns. Thats not how I see myself, the world and thats not how I play. So i hope they can still respect traditional players perspective and keep things optional like they do at times.

I think that's why they showed their pronouns during that segment on the livestream. To be clear that they are not removing him/her.

That is questionable. They said they are not removing him/her from the pronouns list, but they also said that they are re-wording the text messages so that they can fit with the custom pronouns also. This means that they are actually removing a lot of traditional pronouns because most text won't work with custom pronouns, and this will be very visible in languages that have male and female forms for nouns, adjectives, etc. Even in English, you have words like actor and actress, host and hostess, waiter and waitress, etc. to distinguish gender, they will need to scrap such words if they want to make the pop-up messages work with custom pronouns.

I assumed from the livestream that they are going to add messages which will be displayed depending on the pronoun that you will choose. So if you have he/her the game will use the default messages. If you have something else then the game will select another message.

That's the method that makes most sense in my opinion. Because you can't have messages that works with both he/her and a customizable pronoun for many languages so the game needs to switch between different messages depending on what you selected in CAS.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    If they do announce Sims 5 I imagine this will be a feature as well. I just hope they allow traditional simmers to play the way they want to as well. I see lots of games now deleting sex/gender altogether, just assigning body types and pronouns. Thats not how I see myself, the world and thats not how I play. So i hope they can still respect traditional players perspective and keep things optional like they do at times.

I think that's why they showed their pronouns during that segment on the livestream. To be clear that they are not removing him/her.

That is questionable. They said they are not removing him/her from the pronouns list, but they also said that they are re-wording the text messages so that they can fit with the custom pronouns also. This means that they are actually removing a lot of traditional pronouns because most text won't work with custom pronouns, and this will be very visible in languages that have male and female forms for nouns, adjectives, etc. Even in English, you have words like actor and actress, host and hostess, waiter and waitress, etc. to distinguish gender, they will need to scrap such words if they want to make the pop-up messages work with custom pronouns.

I find that being a good thing I have a hatred with gendered careers. Especially fireman, police man, etc. They have gender neutral options thankfully but there's still people who will use the male version when talking about anyone. And like idk it always bothered me. So im glad in the sims when we get something that's typically called "snowman" is called snow pal instead.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I think the new pronoun system looks really good so far!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I like it. Its not a feature Ive been personally begging for and I probably wont use it much, but its a good addition for those that have been clamoring for it. It's going to be interesting to see it further developed.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    This could potentially be very fun for my noble Sims. I would like them addressed royally as Thy and Thine. Customization is always good. I'm happy if this makes players struggling with their gender identity feel more comfortable playing the game. I want everyone to love this game and have fun playing it.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I want the pronoun that most identifies with my sims, and that word would be "deranged". It doesn't matter if they're male or female, they're all crazy...
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

I find that being a good thing I have a hatred with gendered careers. Especially fireman, police man, etc. They have gender neutral options thankfully but there's still people who will use the male version when talking about anyone. And like idk it always bothered me. So im glad in the sims when we get something that's typically called "snowman" is called snow pal instead.

Women have fought long and hard for centuries to be acknowledged, to be on equal footing with the men, to be able to study and work professionally. To deny them the right to use those gendered career titles seems like betrayal especially when it's only been about 150 years they have been able to use them. Anyway, gender neutral options might be available in English, but not other languages.
  • L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    I like it. Its not a feature Ive been personally begging for and I probably wont use it much, but its a good addition for those that have been clamoring for it. It's going to be interesting to see it further developed.

Same here. I wasn't begging at the front lines for it, but I'm exited and it will be nice to have.
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    This could potentially be very fun for my noble Sims. I would like them addressed royally as Thy and Thine.
    'thee/thou/thy' (and thus 'thy' and 'thine') are historically singular, so nobles were addressed by the plural 'you' before it became the default. (In the same way, the French royals were addressed as 'vous', not 'tu', to show respect). Nobles wouldn't necessarily appreciate the informality!
    This could potentially be very fun for my noble Sims. I would like them addressed royally as Thy and Thine.
    'thee/thou/thy' (and thus 'thy' and 'thine') are historically singular, so nobles were addressed by the plural 'you' before it became the default. (In the same way, the French royals were addressed as 'vous', not 'tu', to show respect). Nobles wouldn't necessarily appreciate the informality!

Maybe they could address them as Your Highness/His Highness/Their Highness. Hope they allow for it.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Maybe they could address them as Your Highness/His Highness/Their Highness. Hope they allow for it.

That would be pretty cool! I know some people like to have historical saves. I do wish theyd add Sims Medieval type expansion, I see many mods even for Sims 2 for historical playing
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    It looks quite nice <3

I'm guessing they'll be changing the pop ups with "they" to match gendered pronouns first.

I wonder when it'll be available in our games.
    Happy simming!
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

That's very interesting. :smile:
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022
    For the life of me, I can't see what harm to the game this update does. It's more options. I love options, I do. Keep 'em coming I say.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    To be honest I'm a bit annoyed that we now have to look at pronouns perminately next to the name it seems. As I don't like how everyone displays it everywhere all over themselves these days. Personally I'm tired of seeing it and remember when people were just people regardless of how they identified.

What's wrong with that? I always wear this T-shirt out in public:

I painted He-Man's yellow hair black like my own. Since He-Man and myself look very similar it only takes folks a split second to make the connection and realize by which pronouns I go. Easy peezy. Some even call me Master, which is a bonus.

heman.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I-
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Call me old fashioned, but I am not exactly thrilled by the pronoun thing.
    I have no issue with people wanting to use it, but it wasn't really something I want.
    We can already make same-gendered couples, and have them give birth if we want. We can also make drag queens and drag kings, so I really don't understand the pronoun thing.
    I don't think a drag king or drag queen should be called they/them, I think they should be acknowledged that they are who they are without all the pronouns.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022
    Catzilla wrote: »
    It looks like the pronouns will be permanently displayed to the right of the sim's name. Frex:
    Sarah Green She/Her/Hers
    Jeremy Smith He/Him/His
    Leslie Jacobs They/Them/Theirs
    And you can create customized pronouns Ze/Zim/Zeirs (for example.)( I'm also thinking aliens)

This was a surprise, I expected the pronoun options would be placed in the gender select, M/Fbody frame, get preggers/impregnate others, pee standing up and etc. menus rather than behind the sim's name

Agree, I don't understand why they weren't put there since the whole point of that panel is for gender options... Not a fan of it being next to the sims name at all, it's a bit of an eyesore for me having them all listed so I'll be either not updating or looking for a mod to hide it or move it if that's the case. And as others have said, I hope it'll still default to he for male sims and she for female sims rather than having to input it for every single sim
    I'm an old school simmer and I love this.

You don't need to be new school to understand that 3% of the world doesn't feel comfortable calling themselves she or he. And they exist. And that's just as many people in the world as red heads.

It is common practice to put your pronouns beside your name so people know how to refer to you. It's not trying to shove political correctness in people's faces. It's to let them know who you are.

Well, since it's only 3% of the population that has this issue I think it's only fair that they only display their pronoun preferences next tot their names. The rest of the people don't need to disambiguate their gender. And most of the time its not even ambiguous, they just don't want to be addressed as she/he.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    I am always happy when people are willing to learn something new in order to be more considerate of others. I appreciate this change very much! (And I'm sure it will continue to change and be tweaked over time)

well said @KathMHughes

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I don't particularly care one way or the other about it - I'm a binary sort. But I'm glad that those that needed it have it. I'm all about options, even ones I don't understand completely. You do you. Besides, I'm sure I'll find a way to abuse the Custom option in some way lol.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I also thought this would be integrated into the gender options. Only affecting the in-game pop up messages for those who needed this feature. Still hoping that showing the pronouns next to the name in live mode is not mandatory. And that I won't have to adjust anything.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022
    You don't need to be new school to understand that 3% of the world doesn't feel comfortable calling themselves she or he. And they exist. And that's just as many people in the world as red heads.

It is common practice to put your pronouns beside your name so people know how to refer to you. It's not trying to shove political correctness in people's faces. It's to let them know who you are.

I was talking about the sims, not real people... No issue with people doing it in real life to let people know if it's not obvious, but personally I don't like it being written next to my sims name every time I open CAS that's all, it makes it look overly cluttered for me
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    A pronoun/custom pronoun option bar in the settings I think would work really well. If its switched off, you wont see it in CAS, it wont show up next to your name, and it wont generate for random townies.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.