Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scenerios- Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    They have potential however with TS4 it usually stays there. So many feautures in TS4 have potential. But that's it.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I don't know that I'll use Scenarios in my regular gameplay, but I intend to at least try them out to see how they work. After I've tried a few, then I'll make a decision on whether or not they're worth the investment from the dev team, but as it stands now, I think it can be useful. Even as someone who has no problems telling my own stories, an interesting Scenario might push me to try something I haven't tried before. And as there are multiple ways to get to the various outcomes (and multiple outcomes for some upcoming Scenarios) I'm still more or less in charge of the story.

But then again, I've played through Strangerville several times, each time with a different storyline in my head (and at least once from "inside" as a military officer), so even with established scenarios, I've got imagination enough to spin them into different stories.

After all, there are only a few basic plots (how few depends on how basic you want to go), and everything else is in how the story is told.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I don't know that I'll use Scenarios in my regular gameplay, but I intend to at least try them out to see how they work. After I've tried a few, then I'll make a decision on whether or not they're worth the investment from the dev team, but as it stands now, I think it can be useful. Even as someone who has no problems telling my own stories, an interesting Scenario might push me to try something I haven't tried before. And as there are multiple ways to get to the various outcomes (and multiple outcomes for some upcoming Scenarios) I'm still more or less in charge of the story.

But then again, I've played through Strangerville several times, each time with a different storyline in my head (and at least once from "inside" as a military officer), so even with established scenarios, I've got imagination enough to spin them into different stories.

After all, there are only a few basic plots (how few depends on how basic you want to go), and everything else is in how the story is told.

These scenarios don't appear to me to be much more than the regular aspirations. Really don't understand their purpose.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Yes. It's not something I would have chosen but I'm willing to give it a try. I've never played a challenge because it seems quite tedious to keep track of generations, and baby daddies, and babies born, etc. But with the game tracking progress it might be fun.

thats why i do alphabacys it keeps track for me. i was off by 2 letters x and one i can't remember but they aren't used a lot. my legacy is kind of in this weird limbo cause i'm waiting for the last part of a mod release.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

These scenarios don't appear to me to be much more than the regular aspirations. Really don't understand their purpose.

Well, that's just it. Until some people have had a chance to really try them, we don't actually know what they are. They're not as segmented as regular aspirations, or at least the one shown was not. We've been told that some have multiple outcomes - Aspirations are just a list of things to do with the same outcome every time.

Basically, I think people are judging them too early. Are they as bad as people think? Maybe. But they could be better. And until some people try them, we're not going to know.

I know there will be some people who won't try them out and will refuse to accept any good about them. But that's their problem. Not mine.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No, I don't plan to use them. I already can do more challenging things on my own. I don't forsee the scenarios being anything more than extremely easy checklists. I don't believe they will offer scenarios that give any actual significant gameplay. Personally I am into challenges that have extreme complexity.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    It's great that console players will now finally be able to play rags to riches and other "start from zero" types of community challenges.

I can also see these new scenarios being a great way for simmers to create new community challenges for each other and tracking them in-game. Anything that adds a new dimension to the game's play-ability and versatility is a welcome addition for those who have an appreciation for how others might enjoy the game... Especially for console players who seem to get the short end of the stick more times than not and can't do many of the things that pc players take for granted.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited November 2021
    I have to say it's very hard to decide. I generally like to see things before I make a snap judgement. I'm curious to know just what they are, exactly. I usually am engrossed in telling the story I wish to tell and have never added a mod to help me make such decisions. But, I am open to see just what these scenarios are. However, I'm NOT looking forward to having my game borked again, because they take out the mods I need. Yes, I make a back up prior to updating, but if the patch breaks the mods, I'm had for a time.

ETA: I just read this morning, the little tidbit describing the Scenarios a bit more. If I get really bored, I may give one a try. But, I've already done Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, of which the first scenario regarding starting out with 0 Simoleons reminds me of. You don't start at zero in the Challenge to which I referred, but you do have very limited funds and you start out on a vacant lot. That was a hard Challenge that ultimately took me two tries before I could complete the dern thing, so I won't be in any hurry to try that Scenario. I just pray I'll be able to play after the patch, or that we can refuse the update for as long as we truly want. This last time around there was no 'back door' to bypass it. I was more or less forced to accept the Patch in order to get into the game, and as feared it disrupted my gameplay. Three iterations later, I'm still struggling. I may just now have found a key to move forward, only to learn that in a couple of days all could be for naught. May I please, just finish playing Erik's life? I'm surprised I have any zeal left for it. Face/palm.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Yes. I also like that the game will keep track for me so I don't detour. When I play Sims I don't want to have to keep separate notes etc on note paper or whatever. I have enough lists in RL to deal with. Sims is my escape.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    This is not a yes or no question.

We don't have them yet. I have not tried one. I cannot tell you whether Scenarios are a feature I will enjoy or not, because I am not good at predicting what kinds of content will engage me, until I am actually playing it.

On the other hand, more ways to play - more variety in optional challenge level or goal-directed game-play - is welcome whether I enjoy it, or try it once and never return to it, because even if it isn't what I myself enjoy, there's a good chance that somewhere out there is a simmer who finds it rewarding.

We haven't seen more than a peek at two scenarios so far. Neither really grabs me. But I am open to the possibility and curious to see what else comes in the future.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    What I've seen yet I would definitly say no. I play my own challenges with much more depth and I don't need a scenario to start them. My biggest concern are the bugs that might come. Am I pessimistic? I don't think. The first bug appeared in the livestream when they told us that is currently not possible to start a scenaria in a existing save.This is a bug, because the button exists.
    I don't need content which adds no new gameplay and makes my game buggier than it already is.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2021
    Melisendre wrote: »
    What I've seen yet I would definitly say no. I play my own challenges with much more depth and I don't need a scenario to start them. My biggest concern are the bugs that might come. Am I pessimistic? I don't think. The first bug appeared in the livestream when they told us that is currently not possible to start a scenaria in a existing save.This is a bug, because the button exists.
    I don't need content which adds no new gameplay and makes my game buggier than it already is.

I'm not so sure on that point.

The way I understood what they said was that you can start them in new or current saves, but only with new households. In the future you will be able to start with an existing household.

I might have misunderstood that though.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I don't find the current scenarios interesting, but I'm curious about how they might develop the new feature. Their focus seems to be refreshing packs and enhancing gameplay. This still has potential, but for now, it's undeveloped potential.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Melisendre wrote: »

I'm not so sure on that point.

The way I understood what they said was that you can start them in new or current saves, but only with new households. In the future you will be able to start with an existing household.

I might have misunderstood that though.

You did not misunderstand. Scenarios can be started in a new or existing save. They just have to be a new household for the moment. A lot of people heard it as "only new saves" but they are the ones who are mistaken on that point.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I have to say it's very hard to decide. I generally like to see things before I make a snap judgement. I'm curious to know just what they are, exactly. I usually am engrossed in telling the story I wish to tell and have never added a mod to help me make such decisions. But, I am open to see just what these scenarios are. However, I'm NOT looking forward to having my game borked again, because they take out the mods I need. Yes, I make a back up prior to updating, but if the patch breaks the mods, I'm had for a time.

i decied to give them a chance but i'm super attached to my legacy family.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2021
    They don't interest me, I'm a family player, I don't play challenges.

Maybe if this ^^ was the case I would be more interested. The current reward options from the reward store are fairly uninteresting and not really worth any effort. There needs to be some kind of decent incentive or what's the point?
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    my answer is no will kill the fun of playing the sims4 for me as a player
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2021
    No, I don't plan to use them. I already can do more challenging things on my own. I don't forsee the scenarios being anything more than extremely easy checklists. I don't believe they will offer scenarios that give any actual significant gameplay. Personally I am into challenges that have extreme complexity.

I've only played one, but I seriously doubt EA would go to the detail that made it so much fun for me.
    It was a bachelor/ bachelorette challenge + rags to riches, where I had one guy sharing a farm with 6 women who were helping him build a nectar making business. I had a complex scoring system for the challenge.

My one and only challenge and it was a blast. It was for The Sims 3 however.
    Actually tracking all the numbers was not the fun part, but it was an interesting process that required a spread sheet.
    Since I was using all the games systems to make these activities, it would have been cool if it could compute the stats.
    Screenshot-829.jpg
    What follows might show what the challenge was like for me.

2nd Runner up
    Oh, sorry Frances. She flew under the radar a bit as I was playing her and her score should have been up in the twenties with more attention. Her inventions and upgrades were important, but not as much as Angie's science skills and Shirley's business management and nectar making support.
    02%20Frances.jpg

1st Runner up
    Beauty, attraction, and smartness helped Angie rise to the top. This was a very close race and would have been a tie if I had not put more attention on the dance skill, but hey I love to see my sims dance. It was one of those categories that was added late. I now plan to have dance training start as soon as they move into the mansion whenever I play this challenge again.
    01%20Angie.jpg
    So, Angie as 1st runner up of course means....

The Winner!
    Shirley did not win this on looks, she won it on hard work and ambition.
    Angie was a tough competitor for her, but she managed to win it in the end. I am happy with her win because I think Cairo really needs her and they just feel like a good pairing to me. She can keep him in check like when he wants to buy a Lamborghini Gallardo and a Bugatti Veyron. "You don't need a Bugatti Veyron!"
    00%20Shirley.jpg

The last item on the bottom was a crystal dragon egg that was rewarded when a sim got a wish to be intimate with the bachelor, or the bachelor with them. If the wish was fulfilled, they received an egg.

I'm not sure what EA's vision is for this.
    I think at best, it might give us a foundation for deeper and more enjoyable challenges, but it will probably still call for just as much creativity, imagination, and invention from the players. At worst, it's a simple substitute for those who find your average challenge/scenario too much work and won't be much use to those who actually create and play challenge/scenarios.

I would like to do this for The Sims 4 if we ever get Chemistry and Attraction.
    Well I could always go with the mods for that if they don't. There is much I can use in the game already with sentiments, likes and dislikes, character values. But if a feature isn't base game, how could EA possibly use it? The weak base game can never match a simmer using features from all the packs.

We will see what scenarios can add to the mix.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BassenheimZBassenheimZ Posts: 8 New Member
    This is exciting news. I am going to challenge myself to play all upcoming Scenarios. The challenge is not about the Scenarios themselves. The challenge is about how many Scenarios games I can play, and how long I can keep playing Scenarios. Have fun!
  • Options
    Andrea48Andrea48 Posts: 16 Member
    Id rather not have scenarios added in the game as its just gonna get even more glitchy...right now I have likes and dislikes popping up in my game about sims Im not even using in game play and havent used these sims for months...Id rather have more aspirations or more hobby traits or personality traits added in the game
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited October 2021
    Yes. We only know about two of them and I can't wait to see what kind of other scenarios we will get. I like the game created challenges, it's a good idea and it's also a free update, so I can't complain about it. :)
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    This is exciting news. I am going to challenge myself to play all upcoming Scenarios. The challenge is not about the Scenarios themselves. The challenge is about how many Scenarios games I can play, and how long I can keep playing Scenarios. Have fun!

This really could be a challenge. Usually when I play rags to riches I'm getting bored when my household is about 50,000$. Playing untill 1million would be a really hard. Last time when a Sim won the lottery I deleted all the money :D
  • Options
    MalisityMalisity Posts: 145 Member
    I am honestly really excited for the scenarios. I like the creativity of the community with all their challenges, but I struggle to keep up with the rules. I just want to keep it simple. I do like having an overarching goal to play with so I think this challenge system would be fit for someone like me. I do hope they take inspiration from the community with the variety of challenges, even contact some challenge creators to implement some in game. Like the legacy challenge, decade challenge, not so berry, and just honestly any other amazing challenge the community comes up with.

I plan to go into this with an open and positive mind and am very excited for the patch release. I just wish it could be sooner :blush:
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Will there be a scenario creator? Ya know what, as unimpressive as Maxis can definitely be, the community can take this system and make it something worthwhile. I look forward to that.
  • Options
    BassenheimZBassenheimZ Posts: 8 New Member
    @Melisendre
    I'm glad someone agrees. There are so many unofficial challenges - some are too complex, and some are too boring. I usually end up skipping them or quitting them half way thru.

With these official challenges having a well-defined beginning, a potential reward at the end, and maybe even achievements when you succeed, it makes the effort so much more meaningful.

Also, keeping track of unofficial ones was a nightmare. The ability to track the progress and completion of challenges will provide more motivation. To be able to look back and say "I've completed all the challenges The Sims 4 has issued" would be so rewarding - and *ahem* quite the "challenge".