Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes your simworld truly your own compared to other players?

One thing I've noticed about the what-happened-in-your-game threads is just how many different playstyles there are in terms of how folks choose to frame the story of their world. Premades get put into a wide variety of roles, for example. Folks with the magic pack tend to make Cassandra Goth a spellcaster, for example, but in my world, she's a tragic figure whose teenage gloom spiraled into an adult depression that led to her offering her woohoo services to men in need of a boost to fun and social.

On another front, aliens face brutal xenophobia from my human sims, with absolutely no civil rights of any kind. They're technically forbidden from stepping foot on earth at all, giving entirely new meaning to the phrase "illegal aliens." Yet some folks embrace aliens (and vampires, and mages, and whatever else lovely weirdness the game offers in packs I don't own) and love to craft stories about them. I just see them as an unwelcome nuisance that came with the active careers in Get to Work.

My sims also enjoy a strange balance between complete gender equity in public life and rigid gender roles in the home. Women enjoy the same rights as men in terms of opportunity and civil rights, but marriages and parenting and social norms are '50s sitcom traditional. There are single mothers, either because their "baby daddy" is a scoundrel (the "Koivonen Kids", nine kids by seven women from one male sim who has since died) or because I tend to overuse "having a one-night stand led to her getting pregnant" as a plot device, but they're a small minority compared to the relatively high amount of single-parent homes in the real world (at least in the US, where I live.)

How about everyone else here? What makes your simworld truly your own? Strange uses for premades? Unorthodox (or rigidly orthodox!) social norms? An overarching story that all else in your world is in service of? Tell folks about your "canon"!
(he/him)
And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
My NBA site, Pace and Space

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    This just makes me realize my sims world is super boring.

The only thing I can think to add to the conversation is all the builds are my own. In my current save, all of the premades have gotten makeovers. I usually ignore them anyway. A few of them have been pawns for my sim, Jack, to sow his wild oats, so to speak.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2021
    I don't... set up elaborate scenarios. I have a base save with all lots filled, some lots replaced, and that's it. I then evict whichever Sim I have placed in a lot when I create my starter Sim for a new save (after chosen "save as" of course).

Then I just... play that one household and let the premades do their things. That doesn't mean I don't love some of them; Bella and Bob of course, but also Ulrike, Nalani, Sara Scott (my newest favorite), are some of my favorite pre-mades that I always protect so the game doesn't do anything stupid to. Other than that the only thing I focus on is my (most of the time) single Sim living alone with all premades just better looking townies basically. Cardboard set pieces to make the world look good.

This current save is probably my most controversial since my very very first one in 2014, since I am actually actively seducing a married man (Sara's husband, since he best looking man in that expansion world and I want a kid eventually).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    I don't think there's anything about my playstyle that is unique compared to other players.
    I play pretty much improvisationally, where I have story ideas and then the game does random things and I really have fun changing my story to include whatever random thing happened.
    I might lean into the weirdness offered by the game more often than some players, but not to an extent that is unique.
    My characters range from traditional to libertine to villain-ish. I haven't played an out-and-out evil character yet- it could happen, although I'd have to play it in a way that didn't depress me.

• Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Nothing really bizarre in my games (except perhaps for my Murkland game) but I do try to give the different saves unique twists that define the families I play there. I have one game that's totally pet oriented, another one focuses on space travel and many sims are astronauts. I have a medieval world, and a game where the sims role play different periods of history, etc. etc.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited October 2021
    I've gone with a complicated fantasy tale for my current save. Not my typical game play, but I'm really enjoying it.

All magic creatures on the planet Symm have become victims of human persecution. As a result, they have withdrawn from human civilization (represented by Willow Creek, Windenburg, Brindleton Bay and President Alex Moyer) and isolated themselves into their own land, now called The Myst (represented by Glimmerbrook, Sulani, HOB and Newcrest). Aliens, who were stranded on the world after a crash several generations ago, are also in hiding in the desert of Oasis Springs. All the spellcasters, mermaids, pseudo fairies, gnomes, elves and Bigfoots (feet?) have joined together to create their own thriving society, with San Myshuno as a neutral zone where they still mingle with sympathetic humans. Conflict comes from hostile groups determined to break through the magic barrier that separates the human world from The Myst.

To make my story work, I downloaded the original trailer Sages and Morgyn Ember from the Gallery so they could be played, and deleted the HQ sages. The original sages are now the Council of All Magic, overseeing the affairs of The Myst. Training of Spellcasters falls to replacement sages. Morgyn is my protagonist. I decided he isn't really a spellcaster, at all, but is the last of an ancient race that preceded the spellcasters, and imparted the secrets of magic to them. He is very powerful, and the humans view him as their biggest threat.

Cue opening credits. LOL!
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I don't really worry about being unique if something looks interesting I'll try it, I do decide who makes who pregnant I say that's how sims evolved since that is unique in itself to sims. Background sims don't mean anything until I decide to make them over so seeing Bella goth or one of the others continuously doesn't bother me they step into the light when I need their families. I do like to use make up and nails to touch up my aliens since the base look is dull whatever I can do goes. I have so many typical families and will add things as time goes for no reason I decided a couple would look better and had her divorce her husband got rid of the bad moodlet with the cheated points for the reward store and let her ex start a family with his ex sister in law....yep heh.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I think my gameplay is very different from most simmers. I've been playing the same family and the same save for over four years. My sim mom was completing all the careers, aspirations, skills, etc. I usually move her out of the home with the release of a new pack so I can concentrate on the new features without any other distractions. She's currently living in Windenburg while discovering cottage living.

KpnNLQe.png

Juliette, Isabel, and Hannah started out as triplets. I aged Hannah to child and Juliette to teen so I could play each age group. I aged Juliette to young adult back in May and her story is here.
    THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU RAISE A TEEN FOR 4 YEARS https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17872607#Comment_17872607
    Juliette has moved out of the family home, gotten her own place, and is running her own shop while working on a Spa Day Aspiration.
    eWErXcs.png
    I started my second save with Juliette's story and I'll probably rotate between her and her mom to complete goals.

Isabel aged up to child and she and Hannah are now twins and living in the family home with their dad and dog. They'll reunite with their mom soon and I'll age them to teen.
    Vok1nYJ.png

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    My world is more fantastical, where all kinds of mythical and occult creatures exist and influence the society. There's not a lot of children in the world and the ones who do exist are more adult like, independent and intelligent. I use the Evil trait quite a lot, it's probably one of my most used, but it's not really that evil at all, it just adds a little spice to the personalities. I like to think a lot of my Sims have some kind of inner struggle going on, each one different from the next, so I also like to use a lot of the other negative traits.

I play a chaotic, rotational game and switch households depending on who I feel like playing at the time. (It's getting hard with the aggressive relationship culling and Sims "forgetting" friendships and relationships. ☹️) I like to let the game sort of dictate the direction of the gameplay so if something unexpected pops up that I normally didn't want to happen, I run with it to take the challenge and change how things will play out.

For example, I recently jumped in my game to find that one of my longest running Sims had her mind and relationships wiped by some Vampire (I don't use mods) and she no longer knew any of her family, who she had been very close to. I was kind of upset at first because this was a Sim I played pretty regularly but then I decided there must have been a reason. Maybe she got too close to a guarded secret and something is looking for her. Her family is working to reacquaint with her and they might have to start exploring some "forbidden" areas. I will look for omens in my gameplay to help direct that story and see where it ends up. If one of my vampires ends up showing up a lot to the same places she goes, I'll take it as a "sign". Maybe her best friend will start to get cozy with her boyfriend now that she's forgotten them. They all live together, lol.

Anyway, pretty much anything goes in my game. The more unpredictable the better.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited October 2021
    Always in progress but to me the way to make simworlds mine is to build every lot myself and restyle most premades for myself and give them a type of story they inspire me with

otherwise it does not feel like my save file no matter how much id like it to

Then again I wouldn't say the way I play is all too unique but there is certain stories that will keep on repeating without my notice

and I surely tend to find evil ,strange, gothy and occult sims quite more interesting and loveable than the rest though they're definitely not only ones I play

and if sim is too cheerful,pretty,popular,
    happy with perfect life,lives in utopia...

they usually have bad fate or at least a horrible secret or 2 to cover by the time i close the game :sweat_smile:

summed up:

Simmingal: *notices happy sim*
    Also Simmingal: *plays x-files theme*

Simmingal: *notice gothy evil sim*
    Also Simmingal: a friend? perhaps? :flushed:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It... Really depends save file per save file, but I tend to use the same Sims a lot. I spend a lot of time crafting and detailing my favorites, so I use them in a bunch of scenarios. Majority of my favorite premades also have a library version (and their home as well) that I replace them with for the start of each game. (How I reconcile them with the upcoming lore update will be interesting. I hope the patch notes are super detailed for my sanity's sake.)

I tend to make the same calendar adjustments (adding Spooky Day and some summer holidays, making them all a day off work, Love Day becomes an Easter combo, etc.) as well and I have favorite places for placing restaurants, vet clinics, and spas. They are often adjusted to fit that spot, especially if I built them myself.

Other things are more save by save habits. For example, I tend to start tailoring the main world and neighborhood to have more life in it. Adding Sims to connect family trees, adding lot traits and adjusting builds, giving families pets, etc. It doesn't start out much at first, but the longer I play a save the more I change the worlds.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    My simworld is always my own because I never compare it to anyone else's. :lol: Beyond that, all my different saves and different sims make far too varied a topic as a whole to discuss without an essay-length post. And no one really wants that. :grimace:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2021
    It’s funny, because I’ve always wanted to play rotationally & have different saves with different challenges & everything, but for some reason, I just keep going back to main family. That might change if I get a new, better laptop, though.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    My simworld is always my own because I never compare it to anyone else's. :lol: Beyond that, all my different saves and different sims make far too varied a topic as a whole to discuss without an essay-length post. And no one really wants that. :grimace:

*raises hand* Essay-length post please!
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I play more like I'm playing SimCity than the sims because I like to have a lot of control over how my world works.

The way I've been playing is where San Myshuno is the central hub of the world. Then each biome type is connected somewhere around it and they stay near their biome. I include the vacation worlds as my regular worlds, too.

With premades, I mostly keep them where they are unless their lot is needed for a community lot or something else. Then I evict them, but they can still be in the game. I give them makeovers and some of them get played in my rotation, but most get ignored except for friendships and stuff.

With my own sims, I play them like they live in a town. Every sim plays a part, whether it's in the government or just an average simizen. My government workers do campaign events, take pills on what other sims want, debate each other and some are truly corrupt while others really want to make it a better place to live. Average simizens work and focus on different things like family, friends, careers, and/or hobbies. I make sure there are clubs set up for everyone and community lots for them to be able to get out and have fun. I also have workplace lots for my work from home sims to get out of the house and skill at "work".

In the previous games, I used to let the game control the narrative. Now in TS4 it's more like I have to role play in order for my sims to behave differently. So I've taken on that role and made sims behave according to their traits and personality. I have sims that are friendly and others who are sarcastic. They speak different languages. They don't generally meet sims outside of their towns unless they go to conferences or while they're in San Myshuno. I have some grandma's who despise the city and their kids love it. Bad parents and good parents. Criminals. Some sims have special stories like one kid in Willow Creek is trying to get the mayor to clean up the park in his neighborhood so he needs to get 25 signatures to do it. Some are having coming of age stories. Some are super rich and getting into trouble or getting into philanthropy. I have architects and artists who design the city. They simizens vote on different changes to their towns, some towns focus on tech, others farming, others the arts, others touristy stuff.

Since I started playing this way, I'm having a lot of fun.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »

*raises hand* Essay-length post please!

:lol: I'm going to assume that's a joke. If so, it's a win. If not, I appreciate the vote of confidence. However, maybe I should have said that I, as in myself, don't want that. That's mainly because there are a few things I can't discuss here (forum rules), and the rest of it would take more time and thought than I have to spare right now. I know, I know, you're heartbroken, right? ;) That is a joke.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited October 2021
    In my main save I've kept some premades that came with the sims 4 and added others from the sims 2 and 3. I've made their extended families and I've built and rebuilt all their homes too. I've given Eliza pancakes an older sister and parents and Bob has a younger sister who is married and has a child. And like the pancakes I've extended the family of all premades to include relatives. Besides the premades, my main save also has families that I've created that all have back stories and family drama. I have aging off right now and cycle between the families randomly. I keep a notebook of the family trees and who each family is related too.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    I play rotationally, with about 50 or so different households. I have a variety of different families, including vampire and alien families. Some are very conservative types, some are not. I have all kinds of stuff going on in my game but I am pretty loose with any rules, usually taking cues from what happens randomly in-game.
    I suppose the only rule I apply would be to a legacy-type family, where I would make sure that they have at least one child to carry on that legacy. I've got about 10 of those.
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I have a couple of saves right now, one being a 100 baby challenge that isn't really a challenge I just like playing with genetics. I don't think my playstyle is particularly unique, I tend to rebuild the worlds time and time again and get frustrated because I find something new and shiny to play with. My stories are a bit strange I suppose, I like the weird. Currently in my new save file I've just started playing Judith Ward, like most actors, she is looking for eternal beauty and immortality. I could have gone the vampire route with this but to be honest I just find her to annoying to be around for that long. So I had her visit the local scientist and get herself cloned. I aged the clone down to a child because again, I don't like her that much and I don't want her to be happy. So now she has a child hanging around her that is going to grow up having in Judiths eyes the youth, beauty and talent that should have been hers. Better yet she's got to support that kid (It's in for a tough life) So Judith is on a desperate quest to restore her youth, it will involve magic, interactions with vampires and whatever else comes along. I'm also planning on a royal family that are evil aliens at some point because I can and they will be telling humans everywhere how to live while bumping up the hybrid population. I also have a witch living in forgotten hollow who farms plasma fruit to vampires. I give the premades a make over, in another save I have them aged to teens and am living their lives out seeing who winds up with who and who chooses to do what. And I rebuilt Windenberg to look like Stardew Valley and made all of those characters as kids too. So the short answer is makeovers, wierdness, conspiracy theories and building....
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't play 4 but i love this kind of questions, so if you don't mind, i'll answer in a general way...
    I play a mix of legacy with town planning game. I start in an empty save (no other sims besides my founder, no other houses, no community lots) and i develop my family and build community lots as i need them, in a slow pace, generation after generation.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I concentrate on one main save. I could branch out to others and might do so but I've been focused on one save and that has gone well.

I change anything I want and make it how I want to. Even if it seems a little boring to someone else, I don't care. It's mine because it's mine. Sometimes I want drama and sometimes I just don't. I make use of the whole extended world and edit anything I want to. I added a bunch of lots, renovated others and created community spaces for my sims to go to but there is a lot of variety so that I can change things up.

Anyway, I have a large rotation with a bunch of households, characters and ongoing plots. I'm multiple generations in and have characters with distinct personalities. There are so many varied households with differences from each other and backstories. I can go into detail about my headcanon but for a while, I played with a lot of pre-mades while I established the game. Now, I play with fewer and I'm mostly several generations down. Some characters really only exist in my game.

At any given time, I play a rotation by concentrating on a certain household until it gets to its stopping point when I switch to the next. Usually there are some major life events or goals for that play or time period. I base where the sim visits on where they live, their interests and things such as their family or social network.

At some point I might start up one or two other saves, a supernatural or historic one and another that spins off from my main save. I haven't gotten there though and I have a lot going on. It's hard to describe it without going into talking about everyone and it might not sound as interesting. I think of it as a kind of "Our Town" in The Sims. All of these numerous characters run into each other, interact and go on with their lives. I do create some drama and it's not all happy endings. Sometimes I'll play a lot of happy families but I mix it up. Other times, I'll set a goal for my play such as adding a new building, moving in a group of random roommates to see what happens or coming up with some other event. For example, I have so many happy families that seem perfect that I may set the goal that one of those picture perfect families is going to fail - I don't know which one but I'll go in and pick one unsuspecting house.

There's a lot that has happened. I had a founder who had descendants in the game. There's a musical family that is passing on their musicality to each generation. There are descendants of pre-mades to varying degrees. Rich sims, poor sims, middle class. I could go on.

Most of my households are chill about gender roles though I have some stay-at-home parents - sometimes mom, sometimes dad or an alternative. There are also an increasing number of religious sims which has nothing to do with me; it's like a wave of religiosity going through the world. For a while, there was a cult that was then banned. There's a legal system and rules but there are also criminals and some adult themes. I could get detailed about explaining the headcanon but it's so varied that the variations are really the theme. If I want to do something different, I'll either change details about a household or I'll switch to another house. I always know when it is time to move on. It's about hitting a point in their lives or picking what I want to play at that time. I change anything until I want to play it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I don't play 4 but i love this kind of questions, so if you don't mind, i'll answer in a general way...
    I play a mix of legacy with town planning game. I start in an empty save (no other sims besides my founder, no other houses, no community lots) and i develop my family and build community lots as i need them, in a slow pace, generation after generation.

That's how I play sims 3! :D
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Mine is kind of a utopia, I'm not going to lie. Sims 2 was a bit better for my stranger saves, but in time maybe I can do some of them in Sims 4. I have a variety of saves, though right now I'm really into Ultimate Sim ones - I have legacies and genetacies based on that. I also have a premade save, that needs updating, where I play all the premades and some of the ones from the gallery by Maxis. It's fun, but it's a lot of families, so it's slow to rotate through all of them lol.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    In my main save each played sim has a purpose, some more than others. I have this main group of sims, you could say: the protagonists, that pretty much delegate when everybody else should age up. When this group aged from teens to young adults all other teens in the game aged up with them... or when I eventually got around to playing out their stories. And I've played with ageing off since 2015 so the furthest generation in the world is Gen 3.

I also try to play as realistically as possible according to my "canon". For example, a sim living in Mt Komorebi cannot just pop into Sulani for the afternoon and then hit up Windenburg in the evening. Sims are pretty much locked to the world I've placed them in, unless they go on vacation or something. Exception is given to a few worlds I consider close enough to qualify for a "days trip". I also use mods to limit sims to the world they live in and each world is assigned a native language. This has expanded my gameplay greatly as it requires me to put in more effort if I want to have sims from different worlds meet and form a meaningful relationship.

Sim households are made up of families/friends/clubmates/roommates/business partners/singles/challenge households/explorers/etc to mix things up while I rotate. Don't really play with occults.

Townies are given makeovers to give them more of a personality when they become by sims friend/significant other. But this has become a bit of an obsession in that all sims who spawn MUST receive a makeover now. I'm sure I've done over 1500 makeovers at this point. At least sims look like they belong to a region they spawn in.

My biggest challenge with this save is finding when to move on. Be it having sims age, get married, have kids, break up. It's like I'm stuck in this weird status quo. Although every now and again I am inspired to shake things up or find a interesting storyline to pursue.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I have just one vanilla save which I have played since I bought TS4 in the end of 2018. I have tried a bit different playstyles and am still exploring, but at the moment I'm happy with my three main families (currently on gen 5, gen 4 and gen 2). All the other sims are background sims and I think most of my background sims are premades that I have decided to keep around. It's nice to have some long term familiar faces and I like my sims to marry and be friends with premades. I also sometimes play these background sims and advance their stories.

I keep my main families and long term background sims' sim count under 150. I think I look at that number whenever I look at my households. I'm uneasy if it gets close to 150 and happy when it goes down :sweat_smile: I'm currently at 118 which is good :D Sometimes sims suddenly die in my game just because of that number, they mainly have only one or two children because of that too and it's also the reason why sometimes I mark some families unplayed and let them age slowly in the background until they die. I guess my playstyle is a lot about population control but my sims are unaware of it :sweat_smile:

I'm not strict about aging my sims in a rational order. Some of them live much longer than the others and age slower. I mainly play on the long lifespan (but sometimes I switch to normal for short period of time, age sims with a cake or turn aging off). I play following my own feelings, I mean, I play whichever sim I want to, age them when it feels like it's time to do that and don't let them die until I'm ready for it (unless they die by accident which has happened twice. I'd like to say that most of the time I adapt to the outcome, but I did roll back my save when my celebrity Sofia Bjergsen froze to death in gym clothes...). I don't like to roll back my save and so far I've only done it once.

I don't think my sim stories are that special or follow some kind of pattern, and I'm still working on neighbourhood lores, but I'm quite happy with the one for Sulani. My Sulani has a tightknit community and they have a village club that decides on the things that happen in the islands. Only one representative per family is allowed. Nalani desires to join the club, but she lives with the village elder so she isn't allowed (she stole poor Lia's place as a pupil by drowning her). Nalani has a secret plan to claim the islands back to the merfolk. One of my main families (the one on gen 2) lives in Sulani.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2021
    Also, I don’t know if anyone else does this or not, but I like to use the formal & party outfit categories to give my sims outfits for each holiday. For example, I use the dress with the pink hearts from Seasons for Valentines Day, the short, formal dress from Seasons for Easter, the sweaters from the holiday pack for Christmas, etc.