Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why have likes and dislikes?

Okay, so why do we have likes and dislikes? I'm trying to figure out exactly what likes and dislikes really add to the gameplay.

So far in the games I'm playing, I haven't noticed any particularly special behavior by my Sims. For example, one of my Sims likes cooking and he meets another Sim who also likes cooking. He asks about hobbies and the other Sim tells him that they like cooking. The fact that the other Sim likes cooking now shows up in their profile but that is about it. It looks to me like EA just reused a couple of animations in that scenario and they build a tiny bit of "friendship." But that's it. (At least in my game) Do you remember in Sims 3 how Sims would get really excited when they would meet another sim with the same trait? I loved that. With the likes and dislikes the whole thing is just kind of "meh." 10 seconds after my Sim finds out that this new Sim they met also likes cooking, either my Sim or the Sim he's talking to is walking away right in the middle of the conversation. (Like Sims in Sims 4 do) So it's like "yeah, you like cooking too...bye."

I can only speak for myself, but in real life if you were at some venue and you were really into gourmet cooking, and met another person who also was really into gourmet cooking, wouldn't you get a little excited? Isn't it at least somewhat likely that you and that person might get into a really great conversation? Maybe become friends? I know that for me it would be like that.

I think the problem is something that I have mentioned in the forum before and I'm not going to grind on it. I think the Sims 4 base game is inherently flawed. Whether it's EA or modders, simply adding more and more likes and dislikes to attach to your Sims is not going to really change the gameplay. Maybe I expect a little more but right now likes and dislikes as far as I can see, are not really adding "personality" to my Sims. My Sim is still just basically getting to know another Sim and building friendship. Same thing as before. EA added nothing to likes and dislikes to make it special. To make it a feature that adds to the "gameplay." Not just giving the players a short list of things to attach to their Sim.

And hey, if someone has suggestions or what not to make it better, please clue me in. I will appreciate it. :)

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
― Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    edited August 2021
    I have found that the likes add to the "fun" motive for your sims...I had a sim that liked Jazz, and he was using the research archive machine (which does not have a fun rating)...the Jazz was playing, and he was not actively listening to it, but his fun motive was still rising, just because he was in the same room as the stereo.

Edit: I do see what you saying though, the likes and dislikes are kinda "meh"
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    randy2355 wrote: »
    I have found that the likes add to the "fun" motive for your sims...I had a sim that liked Jazz, and he was using the research archive machine (which does not have a fun rating)...the Jazz was playing, and he was not actively listening to it, but his fun motive was still rising, just because he was in the same room as the stereo.

This is true. I get the feeling that the current system might be sort of a place-holder for some future changes/additions. If so, it could make likes/dislikes more meaningful. If they don't overdo things (as they often do) and end up make them way too restrictive to make much sense, that is.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2021
    randy2355 wrote: »

Yeah I get what your saying, but what I mean is Sim to Sim interaction. Something that adds to a Sims "personality." Not just watching my Sims "fun" motive increase. That's not personality (to me). There are so many things in this game that add "fun" motive or make Sims "happy." My Sims are "happy" enough for the whole planet. I would like to see "personality." I would like to see Sim "interactions." That's exactly why I used the Sims 3 example. At least the player felt like these two sims were really "interacting", that it was more than just saying "Hi, yeah I like the same thing." I guess I'm dreaming because EA is never going to fix any of it. Why? Because EA would have to actually add some new animations. Something to show the player that these two Sims are actually "interacting." That maybe these two Sims care about what is happening between them. Oh well.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    For me, they're pretty pointless. I only set them in my save of my Interior Decorator. The rest of the time if I start a new game, I don't even bother to set any. It's like everything else in TS4 .... the concept sounds great, the execution is always lacking.

When I first heard about the Likes/Dislikes my expectations were like this:

Expected Action: Autonomously Cooks

Hates: Dancing
    Expected Action: Doesn't Autonomously Dance to the radio or music unless told to dance

Expected Action: Autonomously Cares for Plants and Gardens

Hates: Painting
    Expected Action: Doesn't Autonomously start painting just because there's an easel

And so on ..... And so on.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    I was excited when I found out we were getting likes and dislikes, but I haven't even used them. The only thing I really wanted was to know what my sims favorite color is, because I try to make all of their outfits colors they like.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    The effects are only noticeable when playing a challenge where every moodlet counts. Sims getting a little tense from doing things they dislike and filling their fun from doing things they enjoy isn't even noticeable in normal gameplay in a normal (even starter) house.
    When you only have raw fish and the only sim who knows the nigiri recipe hates cooking, then getting her going requires a few extra steps. In the end that drawback added a slightchallenge (her teammates had to heap compliments on her), but nothing game changing.
    Another time I had a sim who hated climbing, but had to participate in a mountain excursion for story reasons. His fun was was tanked, but he made it all the way up thanks to being very focused. Another sim, who was neutral towards climbing, died.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm not fully sure how they work, I assumed that they would affect autonomy and what sims are doing but it doesn't seem to affect them too much, at least not with some likes/dislikes, sims that dislike making jokes sometimes seem to make jokes anyway and then they look annoyed at themselves or sims that don't like working out are spawning at the gym and are uncomfortable...

I think they could have tuned it when it comes to things like music and decor too, a sim shouldn't get uncomfortable from just hearing music that they don't like in the background and they shouldn't get tense over one decor item that they dislike, but if they listen to the music or if there are multiple decor items then I think they could get tense.

I do like that they get added fun from doing things they like, fun is the most difficult need to fill in my opinion, I don't want all my sims to play videogames and watch tv or wohoo all the time.

I do like them since they are a way to give ours sims a bit more personality and I hope that they will add more likes and dislikes and that this will affect more what they are doing when we are not controlling them and where the game spawns them as unplayed sims on other lots.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I haven't really noticed much beyond moodlets and idle animations.

I have a mod in my game so sims will randomly just discover their likes and dislikes without the obnoxious popup asking my permission. I guess it's nice to look at it and use their likes and dislikes as a guide for what you can direct them to do in the game.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2021
    I thought Likes and dislikes was suppose engage more with personality, individuality, and emotion.

Sims would gravitate towards what they Like, and automatically do what makes them happy, and stay away from what they dislike, or be uncomfortable, Scared, Sad, or angry., if they had to do what they dislike.

Bringing a sense of fulfillment to the character. people could bond over common interests and explore their friend's interests, or even judge others.

I'm hoping it develops further, certain Traits and life states, can unlock more Likes and dislikes.

I'm hoping My sims will come to like/dislike certain foods, and automatically lean towards making/choosing those sorts of food instead of making something random, to be able to choose if your sim liked Savory, Spicy, Sweet, Fruity, etc.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    caconionscaconions Posts: 23 Member
    > @JaiSea said:
    > I was excited when I found out we were getting likes and dislikes, but I haven't even used them. The only thing I really wanted was to know what my sims favorite color is, because I try to make all of their outfits colors they like.

same! I usually randomise the likes & dislikes and then create their outfits based on that. It's just that I hope when a sim wears the colour they hate, they would get tense too...
    Caco (pronounced as 'cha-cho') | she/her | a cat lady that loves onions
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like them. I do see their effect in game. I wish they were used to make an attraction and diet system.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    They're great modder hooks.

Romance and relationship mods have already used them as well as expanded them as a way to determine degrees of compatibility for couples, friends, even enemies.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    To be fair the sims 4 was supposed to an online game (check the sims olympus), due to the disastrous debut of SimCity, the idea was scrapped and the devs had to hustle to make the game offline and single player. For that very reason I think this is why the base game is still lacking.

The base game lacks fundamental, complex and integrated coding. Therefore anything, and I feel it's fair to say this, that gets added as an update to the base game will fall short. It's harsh but needs to be said.

Likes and dislikes were added because the community asked for it, but that's just it, they added it. It's a clicking simulation game at this point. It's devoid of personality, complexity, reused animations again and again.

A team of devs needs to sit down and tackle the coding in this game.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Well I use them to prevent evry Sim to play videogames or dance. Also I have one or two in the household (depending on size) to like cooking and the other disliking it. I don't like that a hungry Sims start cooking while a family member serves dinner. But as far as music taste and what colour they like it is pretty useless since I didn't buy the Interior decorator pack
  • Options
    To be fair the sims 4 was supposed to an online game (check the sims olympus), due to the disastrous debut of SimCity, the idea was scrapped and the devs had to hustle to make the game offline and single player. For that very reason I think this is why the base game is still lacking.

The base game lacks fundamental, complex and integrated coding. Therefore anything, and I feel it's fair to say this, that gets added as an update to the base game will fall short. It's harsh but needs to be said.

Likes and dislikes were added because the community asked for it, but that's just it, they added it. It's a clicking simulation game at this point. It's devoid of personality, complexity, reused animations again and again.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. Never gonna happen. EA wouldn't make money off that.

It's not personal but I do not see how any player can say "likes and dislikes" work. I started a new game (as I mentioned in my OP) purposely to test this. My Sim Alessandro is an artist. He likes Painting, Cooking, and Pop music and some various dislikes. I then edited some of the original townies and gave them various "likes and dislikes." One of the base game townies I edited is Zoe Patel. On purpose I gave Zoe the complete opposites from my Sim. She dislikes painting, dislikes cooking, dislikes Pop music etc.

So my Sim Alessandro goes over to introduce himself to Zoe. I have him go through the routine chatting with her. What are your hobbies? What is your taste in music? Etc. The only indication of Zoe's likes or dislikes is the window that pops up telling me. Or I can look at her profile. In the meantime both Zoe and my Sim are totally happy. (What a surprise) They are still building friendship like usual. There is no indication from either Sim that anything has changed. If I let my Sim and Zoe continue to chat, in no time they will be good friends. No indication (in the game) of any actual "like or dislike." Zero effect on the Sims "behavior." So as far as I can see the only way for "likes and dislikes" to affect the gameplay would be my "imagination." Transferring my idea of what I want to happen to these Sims. I would still have to force something to happen between them or it will be the same as always. Happy Happy, Friend Friend. I guess if you play in a micromanage style you can do that and it is something. But if you want to let your Sims "run," they will keep making friends with everyone.
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited August 2021
    yeah they really need to improve on the influence of likes/dislikes on autonomy and sim to sim reactions, especially when it comes to hobbies.
    I purposely set a whole family of sims to dislike dancing just to see them still autonomously dance whenever they could...it makes no sense...

They could add a new interaction for likes/dislikes like "Enthuse about shared interests" if they have likes incommon, where the sims involved would get exited and it woud boost their relationship alot.
    And maybe "Argue about interests" or "Mock interests" when they have clashing likes/dislikes.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

It's very clear to me that this dev team lacks proper programmers. They seems to have an overabundance of fx designers, though. The likes and dislikes are only there for us to see and then make our sims act accordingly. They have no programming behind them other than the stuff that is already in the game; moodlets. If they want to create a better system, they're going to have to bite the bullet and hire programmers, just 2...please??
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Likes and dislikes are weird. Still wondering how a lazy sim can get a popup asking if they like athletics.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2021
    inmyeye wrote: »

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. Never gonna happen. EA wouldn't make money off that.

It's not personal but I do not see how any player can say "likes and dislikes" work. I started a new game (as I mentioned in my OP) purposely to test this. My Sim Alessandro is an artist. He likes Painting, Cooking, and Pop music and some various dislikes. I then edited some of the original townies and gave them various "likes and dislikes." One of the base game townies I edited is Zoe Patel. On purpose I gave Zoe the complete opposites from my Sim. She dislikes painting, dislikes cooking, dislikes Pop music etc.

So my Sim Alessandro goes over to introduce himself to Zoe. I have him go through the routine chatting with her. What are your hobbies? What is your taste in music? Etc. The only indication of Zoe's likes or dislikes is the window that pops up telling me. Or I can look at her profile. In the meantime both Zoe and my Sim are totally happy. (What a surprise) They are still building friendship like usual. There is no indication from either Sim that anything has changed. If I let my Sim and Zoe continue to chat, in no time they will be good friends. No indication (in the game) of any actual "like or dislike." Zero effect on the Sims "behavior." So as far as I can see the only way for "likes and dislikes" to affect the gameplay would be my "imagination." Transferring my idea of what I want to happen to these Sims. I would still have to force something to happen between them or it will be the same as always. Happy Happy, Friend Friend. I guess if you play in a micromanage style you can do that and it is something. But if you want to let your Sims "run," they will keep making friends with everyone.

I don’t think likes and dislikes is an attraction system, hopefully they will add that later, that’s what I was mainly hoping for.

But, I did expect my sims to gravitate to things they liked, and stay away from things they don’t like. They need to tweak this.

I know some use the dislikes to make sims less happy, I rarely use dislikes especially on things like music, I will have some like some types of music, but not dislike it, unless it is a parent that maybe dislikes their teenagers music or, or vice versa.

I like that we can leave things neutral if we want to.

I still think they should add things like knitting, archeology, and physical game playing versus video game playing to the line up. I have a sim that gets bored of knitting, and it is a sim that is supposed to like it, but it’s not on the list to add ( unless they have changed it recently, I play rotationally ).
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I like them. It's true they don't add anything dramatic to gameplay, but whenever I get a like/dislike notice for a sim in the house I'm playing it makes me pause for a second and actually think about my sim. A couple of times having that notice come up has given me a new angle on how to play a sim. One teen is now a heavy gamer and hates gardening while his sister hates video games and loves gardening and fishing. As a result I'm getting a clearer idea about how I want these two sims to develop - the boy is going to be more indoorsy while his sister loves doing things outside. The only drawback is that they are Vampires, so I gotta watch the girl so she doesn't go fishing or something during the day.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm often one of EA's biggest critics, but this is ridiculous... what exactly do you expect the likes and dislikes to do? How much do you want them to impact gameplay? Other than moodlets, what purpose would they have otherwise?

People were constantly crying about not having the favorite system from Sims 3 (which also severely lacked any real gameplay differences), and now that we finally have likes and dislikes in Sims 4, they're not good enough? Give me a break.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've mostly seen them alter moods and sims will react to them, especially music. They will notice if music they like or dislike is playing. I sent two sims to Selvadorada and I forgot that one of them disliked dancing so she was miserable in the cantina when I tried to get her to dance. When sims with very different likes and dislikes are in a romantic relationship, they get an "opposites attract" sentiment and when they have a lot in common, they get a puzzle piece sentiment. For the one who disliked dancing, I switched her to liking it right there because - she learned to love dancing with her spouse in Selvadorada. Hey, it did add to the experience.

I also agree that it is mainly just detail if you want that. For DHD, it does influence the challenges. The only wonky thing that I have noticed is that sometimes sims will wake up in the middle of the night to have an opinion about some piece of decor in the house. It's probably a slightly annoying bug but it isn't a big deal.

Generally, I'm glad that they added them. They help to define a character more and differentiate different sims. Hey, you might not care that one sim likes jazz and the other likes new age but some players do.

I know they are in discussions about how they might update the basegame to appeal to more players. On my end, I skipped the game for years and only entered with a package of several packs so I never played just the base. There are different things that I've liked about each version of the game including this one. This one is good for sandbox rotations especially if you are mainly a storyteller. There were actually things about TS3 that annoyed me though yes, there are things I miss. Most of all, I'd actually welcome a new Sunset Valley complete with the openness and the swimmable world.

I do think they need to work on the whole area of interests, hobbies and unique behaviors including approaches to romance. I think a lot of people just told them that so maybe we'll see something.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    I'm often one of EA's biggest critics, but this is ridiculous... what exactly do you expect the likes and dislikes to do? How much do you want them to impact gameplay? Other than moodlets, what purpose would they have otherwise?

People were constantly crying about not having the favorite system from Sims 3 (which also severely lacked any real gameplay differences), and now that we finally have likes and dislikes in Sims 4, they're not good enough? Give me a break.

Actually, I think EA should give you a break. What I expect is for "likes and dislikes" to affect my Sims "behavior." So far I haven't seen that happen.
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I am happy with likes and dislikes minus my sims doing stuff sometimes that they dislike such as singing or dancing and getting radically tense. Their fun plummets if they are doing something they hate and they immediately get moodlets that can build while doing said hated activity and the reverse is true for the likes too. I don't understand why they don't autonomously choose to do liked activities vs never doing disliked unless forced to. I really need them to add the rest of the skills/hobbies to the likes section in the next patch! There are so many things missing!
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Hmm...

One thing is for sure for me. Set singing as something sim likes and you'll see them randomly practising singing.
    Additionally, it does make the game easier as doing things sims like raises fun need faster. So no need to buy an expensive gaming machine to get that fun need up.