Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why have likes and dislikes?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,932 Member
    Interesting how some people have noticed changes in autonomy due to likes/dislikes and others haven't.

Likes singing -> autonomously practices singing - @EgonVM
    Dislikes video games -> does not autonomously play cell phone games (I forget who noticed this one)
    Sims do not autonomously gravitate toward things they like and do not autonomously avoid things they dislike - @SheriSim57

@RavenSpit That's already in the game! It took me a couple months of playing to find it though. If a sim enthuses about a specific interest that the other sim also likes or has a certain amount of skill in, like Enthuse About Cooking or Enthuse About Favorite Author, the result is as you describe, an especially happy interaction and relationship gain. If they enthuse about something the other sim dislikes or has no skill in, the relationship will decline and there's a chance the other sim will become Bored.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    How much do you want them to impact gameplay? Other than moodlets, what purpose would they have otherwise?

For starters...how about having them actually influence behavior. I get it, some people micromanage and play with autonomy off. But that player segment isn't the only segment. So maybe make the feature robust for all players.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited August 2021
    Likes and Dislikes give additional social options. Sims can and do discuss these things autonomously. I've seen them ask about a favorite color or a hobby, and discuss their favorite music. When two Sims liked the same thing, they got green plus signs which boosted their relationship. When one didn't like what the other one did then I saw them get red negative signs and their friendship took a slight hit.

So far, the Likes and Dislikes developed by the Sims that I play have been pretty much on target with their personalities. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the game assigning Likes and Dislikes to unplayed Sims. For example, in a game that I'm playing right now, Duane Talla who's always at the gym, reacted negatively when my Sim enthused about Fitness. It turned out that the game assigned Duane with Dislikes Fitness. Since I don't play Duane I don't know if he was tense the whole time he was at the gym. He seems to be programmed to be at every gym in the game just like the mermaids. My Sims generally like Fitness and will go to a gym once or twice a week. I guess Duane is doomed to be tense in this game because I don't play pre-made Sims.

I think that Likes and Dislikes are a decent start for something that I hope gets expanded. They provide Sims with more options when socializing besides the same old topics. I have Sims unlock the Grilled Cheese aspiration and Herbalism skill just so they have extra things to chat about. I have two Sims that like Fruitcake. I've seen them chat about Fruitcake with other Sims. Sims with the Foodie trait usually react positively to this topic while other Sims are either neutral or positive.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    The only likes and dislikes I don't like are the ones for furniture. I like having that setting, it's just annoying when they interrupt what they are doing or wake up in the middle of the night to go admire something.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    @RavenSpit That's already in the game! It took me a couple months of playing to find it though. If a sim enthuses about a specific interest that the other sim also likes or has a certain amount of skill in, like Enthuse About Cooking or Enthuse About Favorite Author, the result is as you describe, an especially happy interaction and relationship gain. If they enthuse about something the other sim dislikes or has no skill in, the relationship will decline and there's a chance the other sim will become Bored.

Yeah, it's there for traits/skills but not for likes/dislikes, which is odd.
    I never knew that enthusing about a trait/skill can cause the other sim to become bored and decrease the relationship tho, I only ever tried it with sims that shared the trait/skill, so thats good to know, thanx.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,989 Member
    edited August 2021
    Interesting how some people have noticed changes in autonomy due to likes/dislikes and others haven't.

Dislikes video games -> does not autonomously play cell phone games (I forget who noticed this one)
    Sims do not autonomously gravitate toward things they like and do not autonomously avoid things they dislike - @SheriSim57

I have seen others say that their sims will start listening to and dancing to music stations they don’t like ( autonomously). It doesn’t makes sense for sims to do this.
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

I have seen others say that their sims will start listening to and dancing to music stations they don’t like ( autonomously). It doesn’t makes sense for sims to do this.

Mine do this. I have a certain sim that hates dancing and spends 95% of her day dancing. It's very annoying, especially since she is one of my rich, snobby sims and the stupid dancing makes her seem down to earth, but really, it breaks her character for me. She's supposed to be a Karen type and mean, not tensely dancing herself some great abs!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    SlmStafRon wrote: »
    > @wylmite1986 said:
    > The only likes and dislikes I don't like are the ones for furniture. I like having that setting, it's just annoying when they interrupt what they are doing or wake up in the middle of the night to go admire something.

Please refrain from posting high-res photos on the forum. It takes valuable server resources and can result in a permaban, This time is a warning.

Wait... you can get banned for hires photos?👀
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    @Babykittyjade nah, he's a troll.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    @Babykittyjade nah, he's a troll.

Oh that scared me lol. I started investigating if my photos were considered hi res lol🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    inmyeye wrote: »
    To be fair the sims 4 was supposed to an online game (check the sims olympus), due to the disastrous debut of SimCity, the idea was scrapped and the devs had to hustle to make the game offline and single player. For that very reason I think this is why the base game is still lacking.

The base game lacks fundamental, complex and integrated coding. Therefore anything, and I feel it's fair to say this, that gets added as an update to the base game will fall short. It's harsh but needs to be said.

Likes and dislikes were added because the community asked for it, but that's just it, they added it. It's a clicking simulation game at this point. It's devoid of personality, complexity, reused animations again and again.

A team of devs needs to sit down and tackle the coding in this game.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. Never gonna happen. EA wouldn't make money off that.

It's not personal but I do not see how any player can say "likes and dislikes" work. I started a new game (as I mentioned in my OP) purposely to test this. My Sim Alessandro is an artist. He likes Painting, Cooking, and Pop music and some various dislikes. I then edited some of the original townies and gave them various "likes and dislikes." One of the base game townies I edited is Zoe Patel. On purpose I gave Zoe the complete opposites from my Sim. She dislikes painting, dislikes cooking, dislikes Pop music etc.

So my Sim Alessandro goes over to introduce himself to Zoe. I have him go through the routine chatting with her. What are your hobbies? What is your taste in music? Etc. The only indication of Zoe's likes or dislikes is the window that pops up telling me. Or I can look at her profile. In the meantime both Zoe and my Sim are totally happy. (What a surprise) They are still building friendship like usual. There is no indication from either Sim that anything has changed. If I let my Sim and Zoe continue to chat, in no time they will be good friends. No indication (in the game) of any actual "like or dislike." Zero effect on the Sims "behavior." So as far as I can see the only way for "likes and dislikes" to affect the gameplay would be my "imagination." Transferring my idea of what I want to happen to these Sims. I would still have to force something to happen between them or it will be the same as always. Happy Happy, Friend Friend. I guess if you play in a micromanage style you can do that and it is something. But if you want to let your Sims "run," they will keep making friends with everyone.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. Never gonna happen. EA wouldn't make money off that.

You're 100% right. Anything that doesn't make EA money, they're not going to bother. Hiring a crackhead group of devs to sit down and tackle the core of the game is going to cost them money and time, time they could just use to push out another 20 packs (which they have been doing).

To refer to the likes/dislikes, I don't see any difference in my save at least besides a moodlet here and there. Everyone is still happy go lucky. Caleb Vatore doesn't like patio furniture, it sure made things interesting. :/
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Do they affect attractions? That's what I want to know. I am mostly a builder, but if they do, I might actually play familes again.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    One effect I've noticed is that my Sims are reluctant to engage in activities listed among their dislikes: if I make them do those activities (autonomy is off) they get bored or abandon them.

On the other hand, they gain more positive moodlets if they engage in activities they enjoy.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited August 2021
    inmyeye wrote: »
    Okay, so why do we have likes and dislikes? I'm trying to figure out exactly what likes and dislikes really add to the gameplay.

So far in the games I'm playing, I haven't noticed any particularly special behavior by my Sims... *snip*

And hey, if someone has suggestions or what not to make it better, please clue me in. I will appreciate it. :)

The game asks "Does your sim like video gaming" I select NO, still plays video games constantly.

Edit: I went back and just selected the likes and dislikes in CAS. It only works then. So the issue is the likes and dislikes are not being selected when you get the pop-up in game.
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I think my sims are being affected in subtle ways by the likes/dislikes. I have a sim who actually will walk right past her computer in order to paint instead, when before all she wanted to do was play video games. They get bored when doing things they don't like and I really think they are more apt to autonomously do one of the things they enjoy.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,685 Member
    Actually, I think this was due to the Designer pack we just got. But, I find it makes for another layer of depth, overall. It's funny to watch my Sims react to furniture designs they just loathe. LOL So exaggerated.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,059 Member
    As many others have pointed out it does affect their moods some when doing something they like, vs doing something they dislike. The difference for me is that they can do things for longer if they like it without getting tense, bored or tired. I have also noticed that they won't autonomously do things they dislike - so for instance a sim that dislike gaming won't just leave a conversation to go play on the computer.

Other than that it is fairly pointless as it stands today. Why we have fav. colours is for instance completely baffling to me (why would I waste any of my 20 likes/dislikes on something that means absolutely nothing?)

My hope is that the likes dislikes will be expanded to mean something in the future, such as using it for turn ons and turn offs - now THAT would be useful!
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    JAL wrote: »
    As many others have pointed out it does affect their moods some when doing something they like, vs doing something they dislike. The difference for me is that they can do things for longer if they like it without getting tense, bored or tired. I have also noticed that they won't autonomously do things they dislike - so for instance a sim that dislike gaming won't just leave a conversation to go play on the computer.

Other than that it is fairly pointless as it stands today. Why we have fav. colours is for instance completely baffling to me (why would I waste any of my 20 likes/dislikes on something that means absolutely nothing?)

My hope is that the likes dislikes will be expanded to mean something in the future, such as using it for turn ons and turn offs - now THAT would be useful!

I wonder why some games are so different. I noticed the mood changes having to do with likes and dislikes, but my sims still do everything they dislike just as much as the things they like. Sometimes they do the dislike stuff even more and ignore the stuff they like.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    This thread just reminded me that Travis Scott is weird in my sister's save.
    He's a geek but dislikes video games. So because he's a geek, gets tense when he doesn't play video games. But because he hates them, he gets tense when he does play them. :shrug:
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    He's a geek but dislikes video games. So because he's a geek, gets tense when he doesn't play video games. But because he hates them, he gets tense when he does play them. :shrug:

@LynnPlayz1 That is weird. I'm guessing that at some point, early in your sister's game, Travis was in a bad mood when he started playing video games...and the game applied a false causation. "I'm sad because I'm playing video games" instead of "I'm sad and I'm playing video games."

I'd probably play Sims Deity, go into CAS, and take away Travis's internal contradiction.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »

@LynnPlayz1 That is weird. I'm guessing that at some point, early in your sister's game, Travis was in a bad mood when he started playing video games...and the game applied a false causation. "I'm sad because I'm playing video games" instead of "I'm sad and I'm playing video games."

I'd probably play Sims Deity, go into CAS, and take away Travis's internal contradiction.

I believe that there was a pop-up that said something like "Should Travis finally embrace that he dislikes video games?" and my sister hit "yes" without thinking about it. But yeah it's probably a good idea to remove that dislike in CAS.

Edit: Actually, I just asked my sister and she said that he always disliked video games. So either there was a pop-up and she forgot, or there are some strange goings-on lol
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    JAL wrote: »

I wonder why some games are so different. I noticed the mood changes having to do with likes and dislikes, but my sims still do everything they dislike just as much as the things they like. Sometimes they do the dislike stuff even more and ignore the stuff they like.

I had a sim that disliked fitness, but every time I turned my back, he'd be swimming laps in the pool. Like, Beau, you're making yourself uncomfortable, stop.