Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's the Cottage Living so far?

Comments

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I love it! The world is my favourite (but I'm biased) and I like the little details like wildlife, the foxes, food deliveries. The lots are beautiful and cosy. My only gripe is the pub. The downstairs is always empty while the customers cram in the TV area upstairs. Might place a foosball table or a dartboard on the ground floor to prevent that.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I've been having more fun than I expected

Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting the pack to stink, but farming has never been my thing, and I don't enjoy gardening in the Sims at all (I don't dread it, but it requires more regular maintenance than writing or painting.) Not really fond of it in real life either.

I still don't like gardening in the sims, but with the Simple Living lot challenge, it's more worth the effort. And I'm enjoying the challenge that provides more than I expected.

I'm also having more fun with chickens and llamas than I expected too. And I was actually looking forward to the llamas. :)

So, yes, I'm having fun.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I am loving it! My sim Catherine Weston runs a large farm with her fiancee Christina and their adopted daughter Marie. They have 16 chickens, with three chicks on the way. They also have one Cow, Daisy.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I love it.

On Saturday I play-tested with one of the pre-mades, Cecilia. As with most pre-mades I don't much like her, but she didn't get struck by lightning :/ so, eh, I played her all day, because I wanted an idea of what to expect before I started with my own sim. Also, it was winter, and I wanted my sim to start in the spring. Cecilia's favorite food is the milk bread, she kept going for that even if there was something else in the fridge. I got her some chickens. Boy, do they take a lot of work! I deliberately didn't name them or befriend any bunnies, because I wanted to see how things go; I kept laughing at the fox and waiting to see if he got a chicken. He didn't, but he got a lot of eggs, and the rooster was in a constant state of terror there for a while. Poor guy. I love how the feathers fly when the fox is in the chicken coop! My chickens wandered quite a bit at first, but after a few Fox Attacks they stayed closer to home. Those darned chickens began to annoy me; they kept hatching new chicks, even though I thought I had gotten all the eggs out. I swear they hid a few on me! Selling chickens is a good way to make a bit of money.

My mother made me get a llama, because she said I had a responsibility to my chickens to protect them from the fox. ;) I said I was showing responsibility to the wildlife by letting them get the chickens and eggs but that didn't fly, forgive the expression. Yeah, I'm 58 and Mommy is still my boss, oh well. I asked what if I drown a few of my sim neighbors and she said, that's ok, but I have to take care of my chickens. :p Llamas are a lot of work, too. I never saw it chasing the fox, but the foxes started running around in circles like little maniacs, and stole fewer eggs. Once I saw 2 foxes either playing or almost fighting, that was fun.

On Sunday I started playing my own sim, Mavis. She bought Cordelia's cottage; in my story she inherited it and spent all her money just getting to town. Now she's broke. Poor girl, I gave her no skills and she came with just a few hundred simoleans. I bought some groceries and some seed packs.

Not paying attention, and knowing nothing about gardening in this game, I began merrily planting in the existing 3 plant patches. Oops, half the stuff I planted was for the wrong season. She had to pull it all up and continue planting, using the carrots and peas I had bought for her to eat, along with some herbs. Harvest time gave me more carrots and peas, and I planted more, while I wait for the basil, etc to become harvestable. The bills hit (she'd only been living there for a day or two) but she didn't have enough money. She sold all her carrots, peas and eggs at the market stall and was able to pay the bills. It was only after she got back home that I discovered I should have kept a few carrots; since this lot has the Simple Lot challenge, there was no food. :#

I made her drink a couple glasses of water, figuring it might help and sent her, hungry, to bed. By the morning she was starving, but luckily some carrots had ripened and she got to eat a few of them, raw, for breakfast. Yum! She has almost no money, and can't afford even one chicken right now, which is just as well, since she wouldn't be able to afford to feed it, either. I'm going to start her on some of the village errands in the hope of making some money or getting some food. I haven't had any luck with foraging around her house, although she has found a few fossils, which I sold straight out of inventory. From now on I'll try to make her sell everything at the village market.

Am I being mean to poor Mavis? I think of it as character building. :D

Interesting note...up till now I have regretted buying Seasons during a sale last year. This game might make me rethink that. It was atmospherically dark all through winter, and brighter in the spring. Very interesting.

Anyway I love this pack.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I love it! The world is my favourite (but I'm biased) and I like the little details like wildlife, the foxes, food deliveries. The lots are beautiful and cosy. My only gripe is the pub. The downstairs is always empty while the customers cram in the TV area upstairs. Might place a foosball table or a dartboard on the ground floor to prevent that.

FWIW, I removed everything from the little sitting area outside the pub bathrooms, and put the foosball table there, and then managed to fit in a dartboard (which was more challenging), in the middle room downstairs (basically horizontally along the front wall). I haven't seen too many townies using them, but it still looks much better to me that way.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

FWIW, I removed everything from the little sitting area outside the pub bathrooms, and put the foosball table there, and then managed to fit in a dartboard (which was more challenging), in the middle room downstairs (basically horizontally along the front wall). I haven't seen too many townies using them, but it still looks much better to me that way.

I added a dartboard to the pub too! I also added a card/Llama table.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I'm a big fan of burying pub TVs in inaccessible basements :D
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member

I'm a big fan of burying pub TVs in inaccessible basements :D

Oh, same, usually. I decided to leave it in this one, though, because most of my HoB sims don't have home televisions, and I wanted to have a local place where they could gather to do the New Year's countdown. That, and some of the locals getting together occasionally to watch the sports channel (i.e., I assume, soccer matches).
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    The welcome wagon event didn't happen when my sims moved in but I did get a bunch of townies just randomly enter the house and start sleeping in my sims bed, a bit rude considering they didn't even bring a fruit cake! There was a thunderstorm happening at the time so I figured maybe they were just looking for shelter.

The other thing is that sometimes the town gardening and grocery stalls randomly close when they are supposed to be open (it tells you trading times if you hover over the closed stall. My sim was there at 10am and the stall was closed but when I hovered over it, it said trading times were 7am to 6pm or something like that).

Certainly I haven't come across any major bugs that are badly impeding game play so far and I've been playing for 10 hours.

I am loving the simple living lot trait. Makes growing your own produce so much more meaningful in the game.

I've had the same issue with neighbors coming in and never leaving -- had one save where the grocery delivery guy stayed and ate a bunch of the milk bread I'd just ordered! (I wanted it for eggs and toast for breakfast). Starting that family over in a new house I'm building to see if that makes a difference.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Freygea wrote: »
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've been loving it. It goes straight to my second favorite EP right after Cats & Dogs. I've played it in two different saves. Yesterday I played with a family of parents, two children and a cat and today I played with a single woman.

I don't have any mods and I haven't had any other bugs or glitches but the weird new teleporting bug that also other players have mentioned and the old plants reverting to dirt piles bug that seems to be impossible to fix.
    There hasn't been any more lag than the usual in HoB, which is great, I was afraid of it because I saw some early access videos with lag issues even though the game changers have powerful computers and they played only with Cottage Living and base game.

I'm very happy with this EP, there is so much to do and it's challenging. My Sim that I played with today didn't have money to buy ingredients for food and she was only able to get eggs from her chicken. I thought she was going to starve and I had to take her to another world to dig some collectibles to sell.

You can make mayonnaise with just eggs. Then you can eat it directly from the jar. It's disgusting.

I find myself tasting the mayo spoon every time I use it. I also drink pickle juice......I show myself out now. : )

I am loving the pack. No bugs and using cc and mods. I have already put about 15 hours in and heading in for more.

Pickle juice is tasty. Did you know athletes used to use it as an isotonic sports drink back in the day? It's got salt and sugar so it's quick to absorb.

A friend of mine saves the pickle juice when she finishes a jar, then puts in other veggies (like carrots or onions) so you can sort of pickle other vegetables. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    @MasonGamer

You can have cows/chickens/llamas on community lots but you need to use a workaround.

You have to change the lot to Residential, move a sim in, buy the livestock and resell the lot before changing the lot type to whatever you want.

The animals and shed/coop have all the normal interactions except for trading and buying animals. I assume ownership is retained by the purchasing sim.

I tested this with Generic and National Park, so it likely works with others too.

You can also place the various other animal types in game even on community lots.

Thanks I’ll try it!

Hmm game crashed a few seconds after… I’m going to take that as a sign 😂, So I think I’ll just have a sim move in, and rotate the “caretakers” on a weekly basis. That or just create a new family for each lot…
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    It's quite challenging (and I love it!)

I'm playing with my usual family, and the main couple are retired sims who had level 10 jobs, so they're rich and still have a good income, so I don't have to worry about money. However, their lazy days are gone. 😅 My goal for them is to live as self-sustainable as possible, so they have chickens, a cow, some oversized crops, a fairly big garden, three insect farms, a bee box, a fizzy juice machine, a candle making station, a woodworking table and a flower arranging table. Oh, and also they have to deal with laundry and dust. They have Simple Living and Wild Foxes challenges on their lot, and I was thinking about adding Reuse and Recycle, but that would be too much. They also own some solar panels, wind turbines and water collectors, but they don't generate enough power and water for their house, so I can't go off the grid.

Anyway, I feel like I'm micromanaging all the time. My sims don't have enough time for their hobbies! And before CoL I didn't really knew what they should occupy themselves with. Now they are always busy, and I haven't even touched some new things. I've even bought my sims a Steel Bladder reward traits. Usually I don't do this because I find it boring, but now it can really help. 😅
  • Options
    RapunzelblondeRapunzelblonde Posts: 51 Member
    I'm obsessed with it!! I haven't spent this much effort on gameplay in a long time. I made a family of four to spread the work around (there's a LOT but it makes it fun!)
    Some things that make it easier are that bunnies can help weed your plants, so when you get the bunny den put it near all your crops. That way the bunnies have to hop around them and once you ask for their help, they really do a lot!
    Make all your sims on your lot animal enthusiasts to help each of your animals have friendships with at least one of your sims.
    Sims can learn recipes for animal treats and such just by having them in their inventory, so if dad learns how to make a flirty treat, and you want daughter to as well, just move one of his flirty treats to her inventory.
    Am I wrong or do the oversize crops never go out of season? I think in my game right now it is fall and everything is still harvestable. Anyone in winter? Are oversize crops still harvestable?
    Also, I'm not 100% sure yet, but based off of the LPs I watched on YouTube, I don't think it's possible to win 2 first place ribbons at fairs. Like at the Llama fair, if you submit a Llama entry and a wool entry, one might win first, but not both. So I'm thinking only submit your best possible entry if you really want a first place ribbon. But again that's just speculation.
    All in all I am having a blast playing and learning this pack. There's a lot more to discuss but my post is already quite long. 😂
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited July 2021
    @Rapunzelblonde yes, oversized crops grow in winter too. :)
    t7hKc1ZOLHo.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=96&sign=259fb65d02b7560a7e7b623c50fc4e2a&type=album
  • Options
    Bashsync2015Bashsync2015 Posts: 228 Member
    From since my last post I finally broke the 1000 simoleons barrier!😁 Unfortunately, food shopping takes the money every time lol. Having to feed a family of 6 sims with the simply living lot trait and no cheating is hard, but is so fun do! I found I am learning to mirco manage my sims in new ways, honestly it changed the way I played before as I am trying new ways to make money.

Is there anyone else trying manage a big sims family while playing the lot trait?
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I love it! I feel that this pack was less hyped online than Home Decorator (which was rather a disappointment for me) and I'm having way more fun playing Cottage Living. I adore Henford, the gameplay feels fun and not so easy that it would become boring too fast.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I can now add that the EP is CHALLENGING, which is a good thing, although I find myself tired by the end of a gaming session. I have decided to switch houses (per rotations) on a daily basis, just trying to keep the crops alive and the animals Happy. Because we all must be happy, happy, happy. Oi! The Llama spits, the Cow knocks over the full pail of milk, the chickens won't produce chicks. I had only one before I began a brand new game save. Poor Sarah Jane got off on a very wrong foot with the Llama, she almost cried, which broke my heart. LOL This after trying to stay in one week per household. It's simply not working. So, I do that back and forth bit. She's finally met the Sim who became the love of her life in reality. Love Day is coming, so he'll invite her out on a date, since planning an Event is borked. Tried to have a simple dinner party between the families wherein, the suitable Sim and his parents would dine with the planned bride in the hopes of cementing the 'contract of marriage', if you will. Things were done differently in the 18th century among the Well-to-Do. Ahem. Got as far as the Host, the Guests, but no matter who I chose as the Caterer, it wouldn't let me choose the time or venue suggesting I had to satisfy all categories. Face/palm. I went back in twice, but no luck. It's borked. So, I used MCCC to develop the relationship between the families and as I stated earlier the Groom-to-be, will ask the intended Bride out on a date wherein he'll propose. We'll see how that works. If that's borked, too, I'll just have him include her when he goes to a venue. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. But, that's only because EA has systematically dumbed down the game starting with Sims3. A baby can play Sims3 — with ease!

But, I do love the challenge. But the problems with the crops are sucking the life out my enjoyment of growing them in the first place. I've yet to make it to my first festival. Sarah Jane baked a blueberry pie that turned out normal. That won't come close to winning, I'm supposing. So, she'll have to purchase more blueberries to keep practicing. I'd like to see her win. The pumpkins seem frozen in a certain state of growth. They're green so far and not at all very large despite fertilizing and encouraging them to grow. I suppose once I figure out how it's to be done, things will be better. I am still loving it, despite it all. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like the way other packs help this one, Eco Lifestyle and StrangerVille for the power and off the grid stuff, Seasons for the beautiful Autumn and Winter landscapes and the skating rink, and Nifty knitting for the use of Plopsy to buy some woolly clothing for animals and other supplies.

What I'd like to do is now to make several Darts Club teams with Get to work to set up some darts league matches in the pubs. Not yet possible I think.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I'm having so much fun. My sim is living in Windenberg and I'm enjoying that as I've never played in Windenberg. I have my oversize crops started. For the first batch I wanted to get nine harvestables so I could stock up for cooking but my sim autonomously talked to them and encouraged plant growth and now they're at four. So I turned autonomy off. :p I have two bee boxes and one each of the bug boxes from EL. I still haven't purchased any farm animals. Maybe today.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    It's pretty good I'm enjoying it.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I really like this pack, but...I really love chickens! Oh my, but they did an excellent job on all the animals but the chickens are my favorite, right after the llama, cow comes in 3rd.

I'm having some difficulty making friends with the wild critters to help manage my garden so I've had to toss a lot of dead plants, more than all the years I've been playing Sims 4, lol.

I'm having a blast just caring for the animals. My sim's llama, Fernando, got so annoyed at her he snatched the clippers out of her hand and threw them. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I can now add that the EP is CHALLENGING, which is a good thing, although I find myself tired by the end of a gaming session. I have decided to switch houses (per rotations) on a daily basis, just trying to keep the crops alive and the animals Happy. Because we all must be happy, happy, happy. Oi! The Llama spits, the Cow knocks over the full pail of milk, the chickens won't produce chicks. I had only one before I began a brand new game save. Poor Sarah Jane got off on a very wrong foot with the Llama, she almost cried, which broke my heart. LOL This after trying to stay in one week per household. It's simply not working. So, I do that back and forth bit. She's finally met the Sim who became the love of her life in reality. Love Day is coming, so he'll invite her out on a date, since planning an Event is borked. Tried to have a simple dinner party between the families wherein, the suitable Sim and his parents would dine with the planned bride in the hopes of cementing the 'contract of marriage', if you will. Things were done differently in the 18th century among the Well-to-Do. Ahem. Got as far as the Host, the Guests, but no matter who I chose as the Caterer, it wouldn't let me choose the time or venue suggesting I had to satisfy all categories. Face/palm. I went back in twice, but no luck. It's borked. So, I used MCCC to develop the relationship between the families and as I stated earlier the Groom-to-be, will ask the intended Bride out on a date wherein he'll propose. We'll see how that works. If that's borked, too, I'll just have him include her when he goes to a venue. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. But, that's only because EA has systematically dumbed down the game starting with Sims3. A baby can play Sims3 — with ease!

But, I do love the challenge. But the problems with the crops are sucking the life out my enjoyment of growing them in the first place. I've yet to make it to my first festival. Sarah Jane baked a blueberry pie that turned out normal. That won't come close to winning, I'm supposing. So, she'll have to purchase more blueberries to keep practicing. I'd like to see her win. The pumpkins seem frozen in a certain state of growth. They're green so far and not at all very large despite fertilizing and encouraging them to grow. I suppose once I figure out how it's to be done, things will be better. I am still loving it, despite it all. LOL

Hmmph. I entered some 'excellent' quality llama wool in the competition. The only other entry was 'normal' quality, so I figured I had it made, but nope. My llama did win, however, so I completed the aspiration, finally.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Update. My Groom-to-be brought his intended Bride to the festival, where he entered a chocolate egg of Excellent quality. She suggested that he help out, due to his nature, so he decided to accept a Challenge, two, in all. Suddenly, after watching her parents acting as two of the judges, I presumed, the festival came to a close. Nobody was declared the winner. I'm disappointed. Did I miss something? I will take them to the next festival, just in case. But he lost a perfectly excellent egg with nothing to show for it. Not even an honorable mention. Sheesh. What's up with that?

As for the challenges he accepted, he's running into all kinds of problems reaching the goals. Can't find the spicy mushrooms, the food store booth is closed, and apparently the river he fished in wasn't the correct one. :open_mouth: After he caught three fish, the goal wasn't fulfilled. Is this borked? Or did I have him fishing in the wrong location?

Still enjoying the game, but being patched again just yesterday has me a tad leery. I use mods. I'm taking a chance continuing to play with them in place, but it's not as if I've never had to restart before. Yikes.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I upgraded the townies, then I gave my Prairie Gables household new clothes & upgraded their farm. It's so nice to actually have a cow instead of that horrorable cowplant. :D:p
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited July 2021
    Im torn....the amount of bugs introduced is ridiculous. As far as the pack, I have the same sentiment as many others, this is 100% without a doubt a gamepack. If this was a gamepack for $20 I would say this was my fav gamepack since Jungle Adventures. As an expansion for $40 plus tax? No.....I wrote a list of new gameplay and compared it to other expansions and gamepacks and there just isn't enough there. My fav part of the whole pack other than the world, clothes, and furniture are def the chickens. They were so well done. So well done in fact that they almost make the cow and llama useless.....they don't even feel like they are from the same pack. You can own multiple chickens, breed them, show them at the fair, collect eggs, and more....the cow and llama.....meh.

Also, the whole canning thing, such a big thing they kept talking about and I was absolutely shocked to find out you cannot spread jam on bread or baked goods....there is even a mod where you can. It is ridiculous that all you can do is eat the jam straight out of the jar.....no one does that (I mean, Im sure some do, but you know what I mean).....also, picnic baskets are ridiculous. You literally can only use them on a table which to me, defeats the purpose of a picnic. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have coded spreadable jam and picnic baskets usable on the ground.....then again my husband works in the gaming industry as an engineer and despite knowing what goes on behind the scenes, some of the decisions made by this team or the higher ups always baffles me. If you can get this when it goes on sale for like $20 bucks, def get it, but at $40? Nah