Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's the Cottage Living so far?

Comments

• Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    The biggest is I have are these so called Fairs or Festivals. There are no Food stalls, Carnival games like pie eating or bobbing for apples. Can't even buy a T-Shirt. As for bugs I'm learning to work around them.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    The world is amazingly beautiful! I’m playing slowly and just discovering it.

My sim only has a chicken coop with two adults and two chicks for now. I’m going slowly with the number of animals because I want my sim to have some free time left.

I removed the Wild Foxes Challenge from my home lot because I would be devastated if one of my sim’s feathered friends was lost. I was a little worried that I was never going to see foxes this way, but I did run into foxes on other lots.

The errands may be bugged for me too: I was working on one where I had to find out which townie had a package for the mayor. I was able to “ask about package” the first day, but on the second day that option disappeared from my interactions before I could find the sim with the package.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    My Sims have been going to make friends in the local pub a lot.

I think the toilets there need to be put downstairs though! If it were a proper UK pub the clients would probably fall downstairs, the amount of beer and spirits they put down themselves! :)>:)

I thought this too!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Lalaskye wrote: »
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > Yes, I had an easier time with the flirting part than the watermelons, but I still had to do it a couple of times for the interaction to work. You don't do the flirting yourself; you ask one of the sims to whom you gave the rose to flirt with the other sim to whom you gave the rose. The point is that Agatha is trying to matchmake the two of them, not you. I did have to search a bit, but eventually found it the interaction, I think under Friendly interactions. The first time, the sim in question got distracted and started doing something else, but the second time, he gave it a shot. (He got rejected, but that was ok, it still worked to complete the errand. Poor old Michael Bell, I should have fixed him up with Kim instead, but next time I'll know better.)

Thank you! I'm using Other sims > Hook up with, but is there literally "Encourage to flirt"? It's driving me to despair!

Yep. It's a separate unique interaction with the pink errands icon next to it, and it's only there if you have this particular errand active. I think you should find it if you cycle through the Friendly interactions.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2021
    @MasonGamer

You can have cows/chickens/llamas on community lots but you need to use a workaround.

You have to change the lot to Residential, move a sim in, buy the livestock and resell the lot before changing the lot type to whatever you want.

The animals and shed/coop have all the normal interactions except for trading and buying animals. I assume ownership is retained by the purchasing sim.

I tested this with Generic and National Park, so it likely works with others too.

You can also place the various other animal types in game even on community lots.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sad to say my Airdale dog didn't chase the fox out of the garden. He is an adventurer and even passed Paprika on the road outside on his way on his hunting.

Moving a couple of Country Living lots to Newcrest I am a bit annoyed that they use moo. I never use it myself but I love that little house with the conservatory.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    ksmiss_137 wrote: »
    I can't find a bug thread for cottage living. With Seasons "Hunt for Egg" holiday tradition won't complete because she keeps finding various chicken eggs instead of the collectibles

This happened to me too! I thought it might be a mod (I was afraid I had forgotten to remove LittleMsSam's "Easter Egg Fix" mod, which she said to delete because it might be obsolete). My family of Sims found every special egg in the game, including rainbow and golden eggs, but no egg registered or fulfilled the tradition, and none of the decorative eggs ever appeared in the mix. I ended up going into Buydebug to get the decorative eggs to fulfill the requirements of one of the my favourite in-game holiday traditions. I wouldn't mind if they were adding to the egg collection in this way, but I do hope they don't get rid of the decorative eggs completely (I think they're cute and like to display them sometimes in certain kids' rooms etc), or the stuffed bunny that they unlock. I do hope they fix it soon though -- it's tedious scrolling through Buyedebug.

You find the coloured/gold/choc eggs if you do the egg hunting on a lot with a coop. If you do it on a lot without a coop, you get the collectible ones. You will need to find a couple of deco ones to fulfil the traditions (I assume it's an oversight that it doesn't) but it becomes a fab way to get special eggs easily (even if you limit yourself to once a year, like with gnome seeds).
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the pack. Rags to Riches hard mode is a joy. My poor sim trying to stay alive in the middle of winter with not even a tent. I cannot sell to inventory, only to the grocery stalls so she can't even sell half the things she finds as they won't take gems and things. It's nice to struggle.
    She finally got into a cottage and has a few animals. So now she's still penniless and also has no time to make money because she's constantly seeing to the animals upkeep lol. This sim may never make it to rich!

XW5vklt.png

Love the CAS and BB. I think they could have done a much better job with pack integration though. It's unfogivable that dogs don't chase foxes, or befriend them.

I saved enough to buy a flea market table. I head down to the square and hawk everything. : ) It has kept me floating.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Freygea wrote: »

I saved enough to buy a flea market table. I head down to the square and hawk everything. : ) It has kept me floating.

I did that eventually too :) That's how she finally got into an empty cottage. Now she uses it to sell embroidery and thing she cooked. When she gets time lol.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I’m absolutely loving it right now. I haven’t played this much in so long. My favorite feature has to be the Simple Living challenge because it really does make eating a challenge. I’m gonna work towards getting more ingredients that I grow myself and being self sufficient.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    ButterWafflesARButterWafflesAR Posts: 113 Member
    I have to admit, out of all the packs, the cottage living is by far my favorite. I love everything about it, just wish they would have added horses. But hopefully they will make a stable pack for horses to be added.
    Before the mermaid pack was my favorite for the obvious reason, mermaids and the beautiful oceany waters. ♥
    BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
    d3Z5s3V.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I’m absolutely loving it right now. I haven’t played this much in so long. My favorite feature has to be the Simple Living challenge because it really does make eating a challenge. I’m gonna work towards getting more ingredients that I grow myself and being self sufficient.

I failed to look at that one when I was first reading the Lessons. I may just have to start a brand new game save, though. I was playing a traditional rotation style that upended on me. While one farm was doing well (the active lot, of course) their neighbors farm was failing. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited July 2021
    I really like it and think it's one of the best expansions for TS4. It offers a lot of gameplay, and the new world IMO is the second best or maybe even in a tie with Windenburg. The scenery is just gorgeous. I like the style of the building. I like all the new build and CAS items. I also like how you are able to swim in the water in the new world. I give Cottage Living five stars IMO.
    Post edited by rjssim on
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

I failed to look at that one when I was first reading the Lessons. I may just have to start a brand new game save, though. I was playing a traditional rotation style that upended on me. While one farm was doing well (the active lot, of course) their neighbors farm was failing. Face/palm.

Have your neighbors befriended each other yet? I've been having mine go back and forth to visit each other, and they work together on each other's farms. It's also a good opportunity for them to trade wool and milk back and forth, since each lot only has room for one shed. They are in different neighborhoods, though, so that probably also helps to keep things from getting out of hand.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm having fun with it. I have just added a few sims and I am just really getting started with it but yes, it was a pack that I was waiting for. You can just immerse yourself in the world easily. I will be making some adjustments because I will need to fill up the lots with my own sims. I will keep the pre-mades around though. I might have liked a few more lots but as it is, it is kind of celebrating sustainable development, which I like.

It is a fun and cozy world that I will keep playing with. Also, with the new ingredients-based approach there is a lot that they could add to it in the future. It does make planning for cooking different and more challenging.

As far as the builds go, I think they did pretty well. The farm at 3 Olde Mill Rd is very easy to move into. It has a spacious layout and the right amount of furnishings vs. adding your own as you play. The aesthetic is also well done. If you are wanting a beautiful rural world, that is it. I even noticed that they added a sweater style that I requested. This pack has reached a lot of my needs. I would like horses and if possible, sheep.

I agree that they added a lot of farming and "small town" gameplay.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »

I think the toilets there need to be put downstairs though! If it were a proper UK pub the clients would probably fall downstairs, the amount of beer and spirits they put down themselves! :)>:)

I thought this too!
    TBF if it was a proper UK pub the toilets probably would be upstairs...or down a set of badly lit stairs in the basement!LOL

I am so annoyed now with the Finchwick fair. I got a participation ribbon for my entry and have since discovered there is a third place ribbon. Not only did my excellent entry lose to normal ones but I also didnt get third place......out of three entries!! /headdesk

Despite that though Im really enjoying this pack. Even though my sim has barely had time to try any errands, cross stitch or go on a picnic. Having 3 greenhouses, an orchard, veggie patch, cow, llama, chickens and 2 dogs takes up all her time! (despite having the help of rabbits, birds, bees and Patchy!).
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    Rouensims wrote: »

I thought this too!
    TBF if it was a proper UK pub the toilets probably would be upstairs...or down a set of badly lit stairs in the basement!LOL

I am so annoyed now with the Finchwick fair. I got a participation ribbon for my entry and have since discovered there is a third place ribbon. Not only did my excellent entry lose to normal ones but I also didnt get third place......out of three entries!! /headdesk

Despite that though Im really enjoying this pack. Even though my sim has barely had time to try any errands, cross stitch or go on a picnic. Having 3 greenhouses, an orchard, veggie patch, cow, llama, chickens and 2 dogs takes up all her time! (despite having the help of rabbits, birds, bees and Patchy!).

I found out you can bribe the mayor at the fair, that was the only way I have gotten first place so far.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm delighted - there are definitely bugs, but they're mostly just 'sort of annoying'. I cannot get groceries delivered (going to search to see if anyone's got a solution to that, since it seems to be working for others). My Great Pumpkin seems to have immediately turned into a decorative item, as I can't use it for canning and it has no expiration date.

I love the way they've integrated it with some of the other packs - my Sim is knitting clothes for my llama and bunnies using wool from my llama.

I have one minor complaint: a pack based on English cottage living should have included more landscaping flowers and hedges. I was a bit disappointed in that. Maybe we'll get some in a kit.

Okay, two complaints: I have to go back to work today. No more Sims for me until Sunday :'(
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    @MasonGamer

You can have cows/chickens/llamas on community lots but you need to use a workaround.

You have to change the lot to Residential, move a sim in, buy the livestock and resell the lot before changing the lot type to whatever you want.

The animals and shed/coop have all the normal interactions except for trading and buying animals. I assume ownership is retained by the purchasing sim.

I tested this with Generic and National Park, so it likely works with others too.

You can also place the various other animal types in game even on community lots.

Thanks I’ll try it!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Love the photos and so glad to hear the wonderful comments on game play. I cannot wait to purchase the game next month.
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am loving it so far, I also love that a lot of features from other packs and base game really complements CoL's gameplay (beekeeping, insects house, cowplant, knitting, rocking chair, water collecting, pets, floral arranging, etc). It is definitely one of my most favorite packs so far. I am looking forward to see how it will fit in my rotational main save, but considering I also love Snowy Escape and Island living because in my rotational play I am playing for japanese and Islander families,so I can use most of the packs and not get bored. Features of CoL will definitely not gonna be forgotten even when I will play a family from a different world than HoB.
    The only thing that I didn't really explored yet is the errands system, because my sim is living off the grid+simple life lot challenge and with all animals and gardening doesn't really have time for that XD I might try it in my rotational save where I will have differently played families who will be less about the homesteading and more about the villager social life.

The aesthetic of CoTL is an absolute perfection <3
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I’m… enjoying it. There are a few bugs, but nothing gamebreaking. Time will tell, I guess. I haven’t played seriously in a long time, a good couple of years, so just to even have my attention held by this game and have me actually thinking about ideas is a feat in itself.

—T
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I finally just got to play. At least for a little bit. Jumped in to see the new world and and see what the pack has to offer. I chose the Watson Family to play with.

My first initial take of Henford on Badgley is Wow, it's a lot smaller than I had thought. Even though I had watched videos on the world and saw pics. I knew there wasn't many lots and that's ok, but even the open world isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. Still a beautiful world and very aesthetically pleasing.

Second, it was fall in my game as I have a pre-made families save where I randomly play with them when I'm not playing with my main save or decades challenge. The world is very dark and dreary as it began to rain non stop. So I haven't really had a chance to play with the animals given the constant thunderstorm going on. So I had to add some activities to the home so they could do some indoor stuff.

Over all what little I've played I do like what I see and can't wait for the rain to stop so my sims can go exploring.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    JestTru wrote: »
    I finally just got to play. At least for a little bit. Jumped in to see the new world and and see what the pack has to offer. I chose the Watson Family to play with.

My first initial take of Henford on Badgley is Wow, it's a lot smaller than I had thought. Even though I had watched videos on the world and saw pics. I knew there wasn't many lots and that's ok, but even the open world isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. Still a beautiful world and very aesthetically pleasing.

Second, it was fall in my game as I have a pre-made families save where I randomly play with them when I'm not playing with my main save or decades challenge. The world is very dark and dreary as it began to rain non stop. So I haven't really had a chance to play with the animals given the constant thunderstorm going on. So I had to add some activities to the home so they could do some indoor stuff.

Over all what little I've played I do like what I see and can't wait for the rain to stop so my sims can go exploring.

I found Autumn very dark but I found I was playing on my Microsoft Personal display settings at 75% so put it to 100 and it got brighter.

I had to play Sims 3 dark worlds by increasing the Gamma on my PC whilst playing as I couldn't see much at all!
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    Admittedly I haven't tried many of the gameplay features yet, but Henford is such a gorgeous world and I am liking the cute cottagecore CAS stuff. And of course the cows, chickens, llamas, and befriending wild bunnies! So far this has been my favourite Expansion Pack for a while I think.
    they/them or she/her