Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's the Cottage Living so far?

Comments

• Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Having fun especially with the new Simple Living lot challenge, never thought I’d be so happy for the Welcome Wagon’s fruit cake when starting out, but kinda irked that your sim has to know about fish before they can stock it if you make your own fishing hole to use.

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I love it so much. My game seem to be laggy since installing it though which is a little concerning.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited July 2021
    Only got to play for a few hours. I'm enjoying it so far. It's providing some challenge. The bugs I've encountered is the pub owner not manning the bar. She was at the pub and labeled as pub owner but their was another sim at the bar. Also I'm having the foxes show up as households. It's only happening with the foxes and not with the bunnies. Hopefully they fix that because it's very annoying.

Do you have Cats & Dogs EP @Evilyn_1007? Wondering if that pack's foxes are conflicting with CoL foxes.
    I played for 13 + hours (10:30 a.m. PDT until midnight PDT) yesterday making money looked so easy in the GC videos but I have Seasons installed and so a bunch of the errands were nearly impossible to complete because the produce needed was out of season in my game and I didn’t have the money to buy it. My sim ended up having to take a part time job as a gardener to make ends meet and shelter in the pub until we made enough for a very basic shack and coop with a handful of chickens to get our farm started. He was smelly, and hungry, miserable and dirty and I absolutely loved 🥰 every single second of it! This pack is great 😊!

@Pamtastic72 do you have Outdoor Retreat? If you do consider purchasing the family a tent and portable shower until they have enough money to build a house. Then they can use the tent and shower when they travel to other spots in the world too.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I play without mods/CC, and so far the game has run very smoothly for me. I've spent about 10 hours on it so far.

I haven't explored all of its features yet, but the only glitches I have encountered are:

- early on a hen got stuck outside of the coop and couldn't move anymore. It wasn't blocked by objects. As a result, it was starving because it couldn't eat either. If my Sim called it, tried to feed it, or told it to go inside the coop nothing would happen either. In the end I managed to sell it. So far it hasn't happened again.

- chickens can roam inside your home too; there is a option to lock the door for all chickens, but despite locking the door a chicken still came inside at some point (it's not big deal, though, unlike real chickens, they don't leave behind a trail of destruction and filth :D )

- sometimes two or more chickens "physically overlap" when napping or when standing still. If they are of different colours you see a weird composite chicken where one half is one colour and the other half is the other. As soon as they move, they each go back to normal. Again, no big deal really.

No problems with the llamas, market stalls, fairs, canning, cross-stitching and oversized produce so far. I haven't tested the ponds yet.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    edited July 2021
    troshalom wrote: »
    Only got to play for a few hours. I'm enjoying it so far. It's providing some challenge. The bugs I've encountered is the pub owner not manning the bar. She was at the pub and labeled as pub owner but their was another sim at the bar. Also I'm having the foxes show up as households. It's only happening with the foxes and not with the bunnies. Hopefully they fix that because it's very annoying.

Do you have Cats & Dogs EP @Evilyn_1007? Wondering if that pack's foxes are conflicting with CoL foxes.
    I played for 13 + hours (10:30 a.m. PDT until midnight PDT) yesterday making money looked so easy in the GC videos but I have Seasons installed and so a bunch of the errands were nearly impossible to complete because the produce needed was out of season in my game and I didn’t have the money to buy it. My sim ended up having to take a part time job as a gardener to make ends meet and shelter in the pub until we made enough for a very basic shack and coop with a handful of chickens to get our farm started. He was smelly, and hungry, miserable and dirty and I absolutely loved 🥰 every single second of it! This pack is great 😊!

@Pamtastic72 do you have Outdoor Retreat? If you do consider purchasing the family a tent and portable shower until they have enough money to build a house. Then they can use the tent and shower when they travel to other spots in the world too.

Yes, I do have cats and dogs. Not sure if it’s that because I remember seeing the bug in a game changer video. I think it was James turner.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    edited July 2021
    Have only played a bit as I was updating the town/houses a bit (I have all packs so I wanted to add a few things) but so far it's really fun! Definitely a challenge even without the lot traits to maintain the animals' happiness, cleanliness etc but I think it makes for more enjoyable gameplay. My one sim loves to garden so he's out every day. My other sim is an animal lover and creates flowers so it's honestly been so cohesive!

Edit to add: I do have some lag at times, which my PC is a gaming one and only noticed it with last patch or so. I know that James Turner has mentioned it to with his let's plays.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    My Sims have been going to make friends in the local pub a lot.

I think the toilets there need to be put downstairs though! If it were a proper UK pub the clients would probably fall downstairs, the amount of beer and spirits they put down themselves! :)>:)
  • Options
    Bashsync2015Bashsync2015 Posts: 228 Member
    Currently, I am playing a legacy challenge and it is a struggle for me. Having the simple living lot trait makes it so hard for me at least. I have not been able to reach 1000 dollars yet lol. Having to go food shopping does me in every time and they are planning to have a big family too to help out on the farm 😅. It really fun so far and I anticipate not be able to get my farm until they are close to adults! 😁
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I hate building. I've never had a knack for it.

But Cottage Living has opened up my creativity a bit! I am in the process of making my first smallholding. I love combining it with other packs, esp Seasons and Eco Lifestyle. They blend very well. I can't wait to share it with everyone :smiley:

The Simple Living lot challenge has added so much too. I forgot to buy groceries for my sim, so cheese and milk it is :neutral::lol:

giphy.gif
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    ashcrash19 wrote: »

Edit to add: I do have some lag at times, which my PC is a gaming one and only noticed it with last patch or so. I know that James Turner has mentioned it to with his let's plays.

I'm experiencing problems with lagging too. I thought it was because of my computer. I got rid of a lot of saves I don't really need anymore and even lowered the graphics quality. I'll see if it makes any real difference.

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Honestly, I am IN LOVE! I have had no buggy issues so far, and have really enjoyed myself! There is SO much gameplay and new things to do that I still haven't dived into everything yet. This is rapidly becoming my second favorite pack after Cats & Dogs!
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    Still loving it after I have played more. Doing Rags to Riches and only selling things at market stalls is making money hard. Seasons does not help matters but I am actually enjoying the challenge. Its nice to not have making money entirely easy. I'm saving up for a yard sale table. But per my rules I can't use it unless it was during a fair. I might have enough save up to "buy" my first small plot of land land by next week. We will see.
  • Options
    3CatsFull3CatsFull Posts: 29 Member
    I can't seem to catch anything when fishing, even with a high fishing skill. I have to go off world. I got a hen stuck in the coop and had to rescue her by moving the coop.

The only bugs I've seen are on the oversized crops and they get buggy a lot! Like daily.

It took me a while to realize that the fertilizer I was getting every day from the shed's could only work on the oversized crops.

I had planned on doing a legacy but my farm girl is so busy working the farm she doesn't have time to do anything else.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    It’s an absolute blast. Very addicting with a ton of new gameplay that meshes really well with other packs.

Only odd thing I noticed is seaweed was a required ingredient for one of the older recipes and I have no clue how to find it. Not sure if that’s meant to have that as an ingredient.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Loving it but I haven't really used the new stuff except the cross-stitch.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2021
    First of all, there are so many lovely little details. I find the owl hooting in the background at night so soothing. And I think it's super cute that even though my sim's dog won't directly interact with the livestock, he gets incredibly jealous and needy when she pets the cow or chickens.

It is pretty glitchy at this point, though. Sometimes the errands get stuck and I can't turn them in. If I want to travel to the village to sell my goods, I have to be sure to leave by noon, because sometimes the travel screen gets stuck loading while time continues to pass on my lot. Oh, and I got that phone call from Nancy Landgraab about the power temporarily cutting out, which usually lasts for, what, 12 hours? 24 hours? Yeah, the power on my lot has been out for a week and a half, which is not great for the simple living challenge! Then, of course, there was the time that my sim rode her bicycle straight through the wall of her home. Oh, and for some reason, every time she goes jogging with her dog, she wants to change into her bathing suit halfway through.
  • Options
    SdnPlyr8SdnPlyr8 Posts: 14 New Member
    > @Evilyn_1007 said:
    > The bugs I've encountered is the pub owner not manning the bar. She was at the pub and labeled as pub owner but their was another sim at the bar.

This one is currently annoying me, as I need to order a special drink from her in order to complete an errand. I'm also having trouble interacting with foxes.

That being said, I'm having a ton of fun with this pack! I'm surprised, because I was a little disappointed when they announced it. (I'm kind of sick of all of these country-themed packs.) It really is great, though!
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Def my favourite expansion so far. Im generally more of a builder but Ive been loving the gameplay, it feels really realistic in that the farming aspects are time consuming and hard work!
    Also the weather is depressingly British, so much rain. It made me laugh the other day when my sim was out walking her dog when it started to pour down....she just changed into her swimsuit and kept walking!LOL
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Good... But buggy... Pets are just gone from the household manager. The foxes are in the household but stretched and deformed. The food delivery service is broken... And I didnt play much... :(
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've been loving it. It goes straight to my second favorite EP right after Cats & Dogs. I've played it in two different saves. Yesterday I played with a family of parents, two children and a cat and today I played with a single woman.

I don't have any mods and I haven't had any other bugs or glitches but the weird new teleporting bug that also other players have mentioned and the old plants reverting to dirt piles bug that seems to be impossible to fix.
    There hasn't been any more lag than the usual in HoB, which is great, I was afraid of it because I saw some early access videos with lag issues even though the game changers have powerful computers and they played only with Cottage Living and base game.

I'm very happy with this EP, there is so much to do and it's challenging. My Sim that I played with today didn't have money to buy ingredients for food and she was only able to get eggs from her chicken. I thought she was going to starve and I had to take her to another world to dig some collectibles to sell.
  • Options
    LalaskyeLalaskye Posts: 4 New Member
    Is anyone else having bugs with errands? I had to deliver mushrooms, and couldn't, even though they were in my bag. Now I'm stuck trying to encourage two sims to flirt - I've seen then share roses, they say they're in love, and it just won't register. I've restarted the errand 3 times with different sims and it will not work!https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992111/hows-the-cottage-living-so-far/p2#
  • Options
    ksmiss_137ksmiss_137 Posts: 19 Member
    I can't find a bug thread for cottage living. With Seasons "Hunt for Egg" holiday tradition won't complete because she keeps finding various chicken eggs instead of the collectibles
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    ksmiss_137 wrote: »
    I can't find a bug thread for cottage living. With Seasons "Hunt for Egg" holiday tradition won't complete because she keeps finding various chicken eggs instead of the collectibles

I get that too, chicken eggs of various colour and a couple chocolate ones. They also broke restaurants, in that the chefs wait on the sidewalk and will only enter kicthen when they need to cook. Cafes are also broken, if customers and barista show up, no one orders any coffee or pastries anymore. Customers also tend to wait on the sidewalk outside before entering the cafe and the barista tends to dissappear after showing up.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I'm going to agree with the "good but challenging" opinions.

I thought I was ready to go for the new pack with a couple of families in a couple of saves that I could move in. Thing is, the empty homes in HOB are either too small or too expensive, and I didn't want to quickly slap together a crummy house that could house a family of six. So I started a fresh game and moved a single sim, Greta, into Cordelia's cottage.

Between gardening, trying to befriend the local wildlife, and running errands for townsfolk, Greta's days were pretty full. She only just got a boyfriend and got him to move in with her because during the Night On The Town holiday (which I didn't check the calendar to see coming up and delete it) she decided to go out to a restaurant instead of cooking for herself (and using her ingredients), and she got flirty with one of the waiters. I think I'm going to give him a standard job so he can bring in more income than she's making running errands and selling plants. Befriending the local songbirds is cool, but not really a viable career path, sadly.

I'm still waiting for my blueberries to come in so I can clear an errand. I had two blueberries and one errand that required one and one that requires four, so I planted one and now I wait. (I had a couple of errands that required 18 eggs between them, and rather than wait on my chickens, I solved that one with a grocery order, even though that basically ate my profits.)

I did have one weird thing happen, which I mentioned over in the thread about wildlife interacting with pets. I think it might be the result of a mod, maybe MCCC, interacting weirdly with the wildlife since they're not quite sims and not quite pets. The new boyfriend in my game? He lived in Newcrest but when he went to move in, he'd adopted one of the elderly foxes that liked to hang around my lot. I'm really not sure if that's supposed to be possible. I moved him (and the fox) in, and now I have *some* control over the fox. I can select him as the active sim and have him move around. The game wants to be able to feed him from a dog bowl, but when I have my sims go to fill the bowl and call him to dinner the command disappears from the queue before it's executed.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »
    Having fun especially with the new Simple Living lot challenge, never thought I’d be so happy for the Welcome Wagon’s fruit cake when starting out, but kinda irked that your sim has to know about fish before they can stock it if you make your own fishing hole to use.

Those fish discoveries from chatting to neighbours about local fishing spots actually have a function for sims that don't fish now. Everyone can add their discoveries to ponds on community lots or homes they visit, so you only need one sim in a save to find each rare fish.