Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is building one of your favorite things to do in The Sims 3?

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
There's been a lot of debate in the Sims 4 community over build mode v live mode, so I wanted to see how Sims 3 players feel and how opinions differ over here!

So the question is; is building one of your favorite things to do in the Sims 3?

Yes: You love or like building and spend a lot of time in build mode building or decorating houses

No: You don't necessarily have to hate building, you could build on occasion but it's not one of your favorite things to do

I've also made the same thread in the Sims 4 section to see how opinion differs, you can check that thread out here! :)

Is building one of your favorite things to do in The Sims 3? 82 votes

Yes
41%
nickibitswardRflong7jaletu2005EarcatMamaSimTeeStarsaphire2ParyVexingQueryg01denswanApparentlyAwesomeairotciv54starguruAnthonydyermw1525CravenLestatbekkasanKatyFernlilyCAPTAIN_NXR7simmerLellaRedShoe7 34 votes
No
58%
Emily4331carlystur03PlayerSinger2010GraceyManorDeshong04ilovejewel17Me1620CororonJeansootallcooloneDarkLady2788MikezumiemorrillmitchiebanjogreydonnmlmeadowsGabbyGirlJFelicityAlexaKrysassygray5 48 votes

Comments

• Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,774 Member
    No
    I hate building because I have no idea how to lay out a house. I mean, everything I build ends up boxy. Usually, I just use premade houses or get one off the Exchange.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Yes
    Building Worlds is one of my favorite things to do in Sims 3!
  • Options
    SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,144 Member
    Yes
    I like building to create layouts, especially public (community) buildings. I'm not always to fond of picking wallpapers and colours for the sofa etc., unless I have a very specific idea for a theme in mind. So yes it is one of my favorite things to do. I also like building worlds, I'm just not very experienced at it.
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    No
    In sims 3 i never build, just redecorate some spaces while i play but nothing more.
  • Options
    CaesoCaeso Posts: 1 New Member
    No
    I find building to be really frustrating given how laggy it is, especially when you start to use create-a-style to match textures and colours. I've also found that there's so much in the way of elaborate tricks like the constrainfloorelevantion tricks that makes it way too out of reach for me to make things that look good. I stick with exchange downloads and whatever is in the world/stock library.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    No
    Favorite? No. I build; I have always built from 1-4. However, I'm no pro and it's not something I get inspired to do without the rest of the game. In 4 I spend an equal third of my time in BB, CAS, and live mode, but back in the day CAS and BB was just my set up phase for a lengthy live mode game. I cannot play like that anymore because I get bored and 4 has BB and CAS as strengths in my opinion.

My problem with this pack is that I haven't seen anything that will hold my attention. I won't really play the career. All my BB stuff is usually done outside of my live mode play and I have a bunch of houses done how I like them that I won't want to touch as an interior designer. However, there might be something in the live stream to change my mind.

Anyway, while I don't really consider myself a "builder" per se, I do think I do enough to say that it isn't just the lack of live mode focus that is what is bothering me.

Also, I just noticed someone mentioned Sims 3 CAW and I loved that. Desperately. I loved the control of designing a world from top to bottom so I could do my own simplistic stuff and nothing looks out of place. I don't have CAW in 4, though, so building isn't my favorite.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes
    Absolutely and doing the exterior landscaping is my favorite part of the whole build.

And making unique builds every once in a while is fun too

Who doesn't want to live in a bus

UmoWEZY.png

CbdA26O.png

Interior

l3pRs6E.png

pmoPXw6.png

EzAKrFU.png

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    No
    Unfortunately for now I’m gonna say no.

I do have this idea for a bar that I want to build in Bridgeport, and if I can commit to it I think it will turn out good. I have a problem finishing builds, I guess if I spend to long on one building/house I get bored of it.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    No
    It's also not my favorite thing in TS4 either.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Yes
    One of the reasons I love the Sims 3 is the building. I'm still learning a lot as far as building on it and goes - tend to make rooms too big or too small :lol:
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RitchieGillanRitchieGillan Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes
    Yup ! building one of my favorite things in Sim 3
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Yes
    I remodel existing worlds to reflect the life styles of that world. For example, Riverview is a slower paced town which is more (large) family friendly than some of the other towns. I design homes, businesses and community lots (such as parks or other recreational gathering spots) which reflects this way (and pace) of life.

I build every home in the town. I remodel, annex or completely redesign all businesses and community lots to be rabbit-hole dependent free (this means when you go to my medical center for example, you will see waiting rooms, various doctor's offices, examination rooms, pharmacy and, physical therapy room (to name a few). I use rabbit hole replacement rugs to keep functionality of the game.

I build each sim home (from scratch) to reflect the need of the household not the need of a specific family, such as large families need homes with adequate space and room for the family to grow and develop. I decorate each home to suit the personality, individuality and lifestyle of the Sim who resides there.

So yeah, I can say I really love building in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    No
    I can't build the way I want to in Sims 3. It lacks the the abilities that Sims 4 has. However, I've always loved coloring everything inside the builds as well as coloring the sims outfits.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    No
    Though I do build from time to time whether that be residential or community lots, it is not one of my favorite things to do...in any Sims game from 2000-2013. Because like some, I am also one of those builders who end up with a square or rectangle and rarely ever anything I find interesting. My strengths lie in Create-A-Sim which is one of my favorite things to do which CASt has tremendously given the freedom and creativity to the player. I am more into Live Mode, playing the game, than building and would rather download others lots for the most part if it weren't for often than not using with CC.

And for this reason among others building is something I would like to get better at. It's either a hit or miss and constantly starting over because I do not like the layout. Though what helps is looking at floor plans online as is or changing it to where what I want certain areas, rooms, etc. For example:

belle-vista-boarding-house-floor-plan-ahc-brisbane-home-132142.jpg

Apartment lot types seem to eventually glitch for me so I don't bother to use it anymore. Besides, to lessen the object count of the lot without multiple kitchens, bathrooms, etc., it is much more efficient for me and is why I choose a boarding house style residential lot. Plus it greatly helps with the endless routing of Sims trying to use others bathrooms and kitchens or whatever other nonsense because the routing is always the weakest part of the game because it is not designed as innovative and smart as it could be. Therefore, a shared kitchen, living room, leisure spaces/activities and a communal bathroom is best for my sanity.

Apparently, I took screenshots in reverse orientation but okay. :D
    Screenshot-2013.jpg

Screenshot-2014.jpg

I also do not like building on very large lots but the world I am in has mostly large lots, so trying to figure out how to fill the space out can be quite challenging for me.
    Screenshot-2002.jpg

Screenshot-2005.jpg

Screenshot-2008.jpg

Screenshot-2009.jpg

Screenshot-2010.jpg

The bedrooms are spacious and good for routing. Also good for at least two cribs too. Routing is extremely important to keep in mind whenever I do build.
    Screenshot-2097.jpg

I like to use either the photobooth or use the photography skill to take pictures so I can see whose room is who on the wall. A nice touch that used to be in TS2 University though on the door itself. But it doesn't bother me as if I want I can get the creative freedom to either use an in-game pose or use pose player and get quite a lot of varied facial expressions.

So I love this idea of a communal shower because Sims will recognize it as room and have no issues with privacy. I could use a door but I like using an archway instead with one of my favorite curtains to use.
    Screenshot-2011.jpg

Screenshot-2012.jpg

The outside but I think I want to try to put a roof on instead if I can get it to look alright.
    Screenshot-2141.jpg

Screenshot-2142.jpg

Screenshot-2144.jpg

Screenshot-2145.jpg

Building can be fun but often times more frustrating for me and the limitations of not being able to build some things I would like to try like split levels, sloped roofs, etc unless with cheats is annoying. Because it is not an official feature, it can be buggy and as a novice who would rather just play the darn game does not give me much incentive to want to build more often either.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    No
    Definitely not. Like I've stated before in another thread, in general I'm just completely hopeless at building and have always been so. It's just not something I really enjoy. Sometimes I might get some good idea but then grow bored halfway and just end up with some stupid looking shack. Because of that I basically never build a house from scratch and only edit/expand the already existing ones from the game itself or those built by other people. My interests have always been in the sims themselves and what kind of shenanigans I can get them into in the actual gameplay."
    TS3 build mode is not something that would make me overcome my handicaps so I mostly just find it more frustrating than fun. Therefore it's all about the live mode for me.
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes
    I used to be pretty horrible at building houses but now I just love it. I think I've gotten pretty good at it. What has helped me recently to get better at it is the 3D model floor plans. I follow the floor plan by placing the furniture first as it's shown on the model - then build the house around it. Sometimes you have to delete the objects as you know how finicky the game can be. And you also have to make adjustments because you don't need the extra space shown on floor plans for closets and water heaters, etc.

Most houses are pretty "square" too. That doesn't matter as once you decorate and have nice windows, doors, shutters and a few plants and trees and maybe a porch - it all looks pretty nice! (Helps to make your roof not look as square as the house).

I can't build very large houses either - not yet, anyway. I think my favorite size lot is 20x20.

This roofing tutorial and practice helped me alot too - http://getsimplyruthless.blogspot.com/2013/11/victorians-101-getting-started-building.html

14f878b18403864a656a1879fd29fae4a6f00200.jpg
    67f952851f821e41a391c7dfae028abac9d3b197.jpg
    a430faaa4d3f00c5bc3a6667f530c090f0991fb4.jpg
    e5a86ae150bb85bd5b74a9556cc2d05a4e79ddd2.jpg
    c86d7d3e7a12870536af5b7a9bc2a7b8e9c1c638.jpg

P.S. This house is available to download - https://katyfernlily.tumblr.com/

Post edited by KatyFernlily on
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    No
    I can't build in Sims 3. :'( I used to be able to, or at least I used to think I was able. I'm currently doing a challenge I made for myself, where I can only build/design my sims with certain colors. Currently I have my blue and grey sims together, so the house is only blue and grey, but when I get another color involved I'll be able to include that.

In a house way across the town mods have gotten Orange and White together, so maybe if their kids and my founder's kids get along I can add two colors. Thankfully this game makes that easy for me!
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    Yes
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like building more than I like actually playing my sims. I love researching different architectural styles, and figuring out how to replicate them in the game. My favorite thing to do is hunt for antique house plans - or just interesting historic houses - and re-create them in-game.

Most of my saves are blank slate worlds I decided to build up with a particular feel before I squirrel!ed halfway through. I should probably rip what I've completed out of them all sometime, and start a big heckin' showcase thread in the Creative Corner. I have so much stuff I've squinted over for hours, and no other soul has ever seen them, but it always tickles me pink to share.

My own families' homes are as unique as they are. Here's what I've currently got:

For a sim I created to live in bleak, empty desert world (one of my build-a-blank worlds, which is coming up Old West flavored), I created a home meant to look like someone took an abandoned ghost town mine building and filled it with a scavenged collection of worn and weathered furniture:

iKTE1jy.jpg

Interior images behind the spoiler

Living room:
    BfUQH1x.jpg

Dining room:
    ULbjpxx.jpg

Kitchen:
    oYtCWG4.jpg

Study:
    1T50sA1.jpg

Master bedroom. (Needs more clutter I think):
    BQ4hbJ7.jpg

For my other current sim, created to be a world (and time) adventurer, I took her vast mounds of Tiberium and lottery ticket money, and this antique Spanish style house plan and created a ridiculously bougie mansion, with which my game occasionally has to stop and take a break while loading all the textures:

ovSFvAY.jpg

Way too many pictures of the grounds and interior spaces behind the spoiler.
    Party Pool!
    nTz8HPl.jpg

My girl needs a special garden just to practice Sim Fu in:
    ibLspu3.jpg

Reception Hall. Neither she nor her butler-bot can play that piano.
    D6OvyD8.jpg

A private study
    Zkag98J.jpg

Which leads to the gallery, in which she shows off the treasures she's looted collected around the world.
    VNVFx29.jpg

An art deco dining room
    evq0YdU.jpg

And an old world kitchen
    Jdo2bqy.jpg

Leading to a nectar cellar ready for all her experiments in fancy fruit juice
    UpRuk59.jpg

Okay, soused and sleepy from all your travels? Have a nap in the master bedroom.
    EpW9DW0.jpg

Or the guest room.
    ENL258g.jpg

The house has servant's quarters, but she's got a plumbot doing all her cooking, cleaning, and gardening, so this space is purely to show she could have more servants if she wanted.
    1XJvFMY.jpg

After your nap, freshen up a bit...
    gMNxQgJ.jpg
    CchPRGl.jpg
    mRiC1ux.jpg

Okay, we're rested and ready to go! What about fun and games?

Well, upstairs there's a billiard room
    LUYwXhB.jpg

And in the basement, a private theater
    8XqzrEA.jpg

And once she's concluded her career of looting foreign lands, she'll retire to a life of hobbies. Until then, this space simply houses her chest of treasures and a clean room for future-tech experiments.
    XR1ZiWe.jpg

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    No
    I can't build worth a poop! Any house I have tried to make looks like a shoe box with a roof :D:D:D I think my strength is in making sims.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    No
    I absolutely hate building, I don't do well laying out houses lol
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    I'm not going to Yes or No as it depends on what I'm trying to build. It's Yes for me if I'm building a house that I'm familiar with such as my childhood home, my in-laws house or my grandmother's trailer. And yes, I know trailers can be easy to build anyhow but they're not all set up the same way inside as sometimes they can have a bedroom at the front of the trailer while having the other 2 towards the back of the trailer.

Then sometimes it's a No for me if I'm trying to build something that I see in my mind but it doesn't come out the way that I want it or if I'm trying to use some of the tricks to get the effect that I want. Take for an example when I tried to build my childhood home which is a split-foyer home, so therefore I had a hard time building it and I would give up. I kept trying to put the walls right next to foundation when really I should had been putting the wall a tile or 2 over and then use the leveling tool to make the wall the same height as the foundation since the foyer is on a foundation and then placing the walls on the leveled down walls and floor tiles where the foyer is.

This is my childhood home here. And yes, I know that the siding looks a little weird because I chose to use this one instead of just using paint on the bare wall. But since I didn't share this home with others, it doesn't bother that the siding is a bit skewed... :)
    ivLhaYUl.jpg
    Pictures of the inside under the spoiler... :)
    XhZFMPWl.jpg
    8Tk9OUBl.jpg
    KUxo4ZUl.jpg
    P5kb647l.jpg
    qop9nBhl.jpg
    jQ6uEmcl.jpg
    vLvMIx6l.jpg
    HTl7CaEl.jpg
    icb8FG8l.jpg
    3dPKzWol.jpg
    ErEOCJjl.jpg
    Yg3ERJjl.jpg

My in-laws house.
    97w4yCel.jpg
    8troqBBl.jpg
    s8tNJuml.jpg
    AXcvVXgl.jpg
    2Q6xWW3l.jpg
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2021
    No
    I'm horrible at building so I just download them from the Exchange, Mod the Sims, the creator's webpages, etc. Then I just modify them for my use, but the designs are still fundamentally intact.

Here's an example:

I downloaded this college campus lot from Mod the Sims by lewisb40. It's a smaller lot that I placed on a 64x64 lot:

Screenshot-5.jpg

Then I modified some things to fit the homeworld:

Screenshot-8.jpg

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Yes
    Yeah, I tend to go nuts building.
    Screenshot-8.jpg
    Another of my monstrosities
    Screenshot-97.jpg

Screenshot-249.jpg

BWA HA HA HA HA... (yeah, it's a helicopter on top)
    Screenshot-5.jpg

Yeah...lost my mind on this one.
    Screenshot-67.jpg
    Screenshot-84.jpg

Screenshot-11.jpg

My very first "monstrosity"
    Screenshot.jpg

Asian Style home.
    Screenshot-95.jpg

BWA HA HA HA HA HA...hack-cough-.
    Screenshot-10.jpg

When you're rich enough, you can have your own beach.
    Screenshot-3.jpg
    Screenshot-4.jpg

Unfortunately for them they built this beach oasis in the Northern Hemisphere... Well...tough patootie.
    Screenshot-74.jpg
    Since my sims are Canadian...this isn't going to bother them one iota.

So, yeah...in between playing my sims games on exceedingly long life-spans...I also build...excessively big houses.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    No
    @ClarionOfJoy
    I really like your version! great job
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Yes
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I can't build worth a poop! Any house I have tried to make looks like a shoe box with a roof :D:D:D I think my strength is in making sims.

I've never seen one of your builds but your sims are freaking amazing <3

I love building in Sims 3. I spend a lot of time building up empty worlds. I'm very partial to craftsman and victorian styles.
    This is one of my favourite houses I built -

63cca172048577cff071282a9c9d1ef14324e872.jpg

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding