Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Play Coming July 22nd

catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2021
    Nothing interesting to announce this year.

BioWare is dead and Maxis will have already told us what is planned.
    Maxis Austin won't talk about the new IP, 2 years of development (+ COVID-19) is too short for an announcement.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Hard to say who will be at EA Play this year. Catherina Mallet has replaced Joe Nickolls as Maxis's VP/GM. And there's no telling what Catherina Mallet has in mind for The Sims. But after reading an article on Catherina Mallet's replacing Joe Nickolls at Maxis. It sounds like she intends to build on what Joe Nickolls has done for the game for the past four years. Only time will tell what the line-up EA Play 21 will look like. And who knows, maybe Catherina Mallet will appear at EA Play this year. :)
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don’t trust Catherine mallet especially with her experience in the gaming industry.
    I do think if anything they may reveal a special announcement @ EA play this year for a pack that won’t be mentioned in the summer like up but I’m not hoping for it either. We will see (:
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Guess they'll announce the next expansion pack there, it fits timescale wise if they announce a gp tomorrow
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Guess they'll announce the next expansion pack there, it fits timescale wise if they announce a gp tomorrow

Similar thought to me. Seeing the announcement took a little wind out of my sails for tomorrow. They always have to hold back something, huh?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Justin wrote: »
    I don’t trust Catherine mallet especially with her experience in the gaming industry.
    I do think if anything they may reveal a special announcement @ EA play this year for a pack that won’t be mentioned in the summer like up but I’m not hoping for it either. We will see (:
    I can not say that I trust Catherine Mallet or not because I have no access to her records in the gaming industry. I just know that she's been in this business for a while now. And she had supposedly work at Maxis in the past. But what she worked on at Maxis in the past, I do not know. :)
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2021
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I can not say that I trust Catherine Mallet or not because I have no access to her records in the gaming industry. I just know that she's been in this business for a while now. And she had supposedly work at Maxis in the past. But what she worked on at Maxis in the past, I do not know. :)

I found this article about her:

• Previously an executive producer of The Sims Social (uh-oh....)
    • Product manager and producer at Playfish - which develops free to play social network games, such as the aforementioned The Sims Social and SimCity Social (yikes!....)
    • Studio general manager at King - which developed Candy Crush Saga games and other social network games (oy!....)
    Do you see a running pattern here?

And then she said:
    "Maxis makes some of the most beloved and enduring games of all time, with an incredibly diverse and global community of players. We will be building on and strengthening this legacy of community and inclusion, to bring them new experiences and delighting players worldwide through deeper and ongoing ways to engage with each other and our games. We will also be growing substantially to achieve our ambitious vision.

"I am returning to EA with an enormous appreciation for not only the strength of the Maxis business and the unparalleled creative and technical capability of the team, but also the passion of the creative and diverse community of Sims players.

"There is also tremendous opportunity to build on this foundation and provide delightful experiences for this generation -- and the next -- of Sims players. My background is in helping creative, innovative companies in both Europe and the US deliver on ambitious visions and build deeper, ongoing relationships with their users. I look forward to working with this amazing team to further the great work Joe Nichols has done, and create the kinds of connected, creative experiences our players are looking for as we grow the studio to reflect the global diversity of our player community."

So she has a lot of experience with social network games. Why hire someone with that background if not to turn the future of The Sims games in that direction?

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Wow! That definitely seems like she was specifically hired/re-hired because of her experience in "social gaming". Not a good thing in my eyes.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    😬😬😬😬😬
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2021
    After Mass Effect, they will probably announce The Sims Legendary Edition (TS1 and TS2 remastered in 4K)

Of course it will be only a visual update, no bug will be fixed :p
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member

• Product manager and producer at Playfish - which develops free to play social network games, such as the aforementioned The Sims Social and SimCity Social (yikes!....)
    • Studio general manager at King - which developed Candy Crush Saga games and other social network games (oy!....)

And then she said:
    "Maxis makes some of the most beloved and enduring games of all time, with an incredibly diverse and global community of players. We will be building on and strengthening this legacy of community and inclusion, to bring them new experiences and delighting players worldwide through deeper and ongoing ways to engage with each other and our games. We will also be growing substantially to achieve our ambitious vision.

"I am returning to EA with an enormous appreciation for not only the strength of the Maxis business and the unparalleled creative and technical capability of the team, but also the passion of the creative and diverse community of Sims players.

"There is also tremendous opportunity to build on this foundation and provide delightful experiences for this generation -- and the next -- of Sims players. My background is in helping creative, innovative companies in both Europe and the US deliver on ambitious visions and build deeper, ongoing relationships with their users. I look forward to working with this amazing team to further the great work Joe Nichols has done, and create the kinds of connected, creative experiences our players are looking for as we grow the studio to reflect the global diversity of our player community."

So she has a lot of experience with social network games. Why hire someone with that background if not to turn the future of The Sims games in that direction?

Sims 5 will be online, calling it now
  • Options

And then she said:

I read that too. But I was referring to her entire video game industry track record. This maybe a small part of what all she has done in the past as far as video games go or it maybe her entire track record. I don't know since I don't have access to what she has worked on in the past.
    I knew that Catharina Mallet had lots of experience in the video game industry. But it still does not mean that she can deliver on what plans that she has for The Sims 4 in the future. So for me, I'm neutral when it comes to trusting her or not.
  • Options

And then she said:

I read that too. But I was referring to her entire video game industry track record. This maybe a small part of what all she has done in the past as far as video games go or it maybe her entire track record. I don't know since I don't have access to what she has worked on in the past.
    I knew that Catharina Mallet had lots of experience in the video game industry. But it still does not mean that she can deliver on what plans that she has for The Sims 4 in the future. So for me, I'm neutral when it comes to trusting her or not.

You had posted before:

And now you say that you've read that article and yet you don't know what she worked on at Maxis in the past??? Okay....

She also posted her Linked-In CV: Catharina Lavers Mallet

It's not like she's keeping it secret or made it hard to find.

Anyway, after working at EA and King, she worked at Bose as Head of Consumer Wearables, Digital Experiences and Bose AR (augmented reality) that focused on apps to work with Bose products which often required internet access.

She then became advisor at several firms with focus on internet services, audio technology (from Bose experience), assistance on start-ups, and several that are focused on social network apps, most of which are games related.

It is a great CV! I can see why EA made her Vice President and General Manager of EA.

But her social networking experience is worrisome for the future of The Sims. I mean, she doesn't even have any non-social networking experience when it comes to games - and that's a totally separate animal which is handled differently from social networking games.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

And then she said:

You had posted before:

And now you say that you've read that article and yet you don't know what she worked on at Maxis in the past??? Okay....

Anyway, after working at EA and King, she worked at Bose as Head of Consumer Wearables, Digital Experiences and Bose AR (augmented reality) that focused on apps to work with Bose products which often required internet access.

She then became advisor at several firms with focus on internet services, audio technology (from Bose experience), assistance on start-ups, and several that are focused on social network apps, most of which are games related.

It is a great CV! I can see why EA made her Vice President and General Manager of EA.

But her social networking experience is worrisome for the future of The Sims. I mean, she doesn't even have any non-social networking experience when it comes to games - and that's a totally separate animal which is handled differently from social networking games.

I don't think she will be that involved in the development of the game. That's something that designers and producers do and if they decide to add social networking to the game I imagine it would have to be backed up by market research data.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

And then she said:

You had posted before:

I don't think she will be that involved in the development of the game. That's something that designers and producers do and if they decide to add social networking to the game I imagine it would have to be backed up by market research data.

??? How can she not be involved in the development of the game? As vice president and general manager she leads the development teams towards certain goals - she doesn't have to know the specifics of it like the development teams must. Since her expertise is in social network games, she's to lead the development with that as part of the goals. They would have hired someone else, who didn't have social network games experience, if they didn't want the future The Sims games geared toward that.

And we all know the tunnel vision that EA has. Their market research data is skewed toward social network games and nothing else.

• Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I remember reading somewhere where she also praised The Sims Online. ( I can't link because I can't remember where ) I innocently played that game for awhile until I realized what was going on behind the scenes. I would not let my child play such a game!
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

And then she said:

You had posted before:

??? How can she not be involved in the development of the game? As vice president and general manager she leads the development teams towards certain goals - she doesn't have to know the specifics of it like the development teams must. Since her expertise is in social network games, she's to lead the development with that as part of the goals. They would have hired someone else, who didn't have social network games experience, if they didn't want the future The Sims games geared toward that.

And we all know the tunnel vision that EA has. Their market research data is skewed toward social network games and nothing else.

If that's what EA wants for the future of the Sims then let's hope she will do a good job and get at least 36 million social players to play the new game. But maybe she's just a good manager and EA want to expand the Sims Mobile and Freeplay games more than they want to add social networking to the Sims.
  • Options

And then she said:

You had posted before:

If that's what EA wants for the future of the Sims then let's hope she will do a good job and get at least 36 million social players to play the new game. But maybe she's just a good manager and EA want to expand the Sims Mobile and Freeplay games more than they want to add social networking to the Sims.

She's VP and GM over the entirety of Maxis, not just the Sims Mobile and Freeplay games, plus EA really wants all their games to have online multiplayer modes whether that's right for a particular game or not. She also said that she will be continuing Joe Nichols' work "and create the kinds of connected, creative experiences our players are looking for".

I've been reading articles and watching game news and the trend for AAA game publishers is to focus on creating new online multiplayer games with various kinds of microtransactions that will encourage people to buy those things. Ubisoft already announced very plainly that they're going to focus on free-to-play games as their biggest IPs and it was leaked that the new MMO by Amazon, New World, is going to be sabotaged by its developers so that in order to get anywhere in the game, players would have to buy boosts or grind for very long periods of time, averaging ~300 hours just to level up for example, if they don't buy any.

In short, they don't care about the gamers that refuse to play online games or drop out. All they want are the "whales". In the game world, "whales" are the small number of gamers who will spend huge amounts of money just to win their games. I think this why EA is gambling on making the next The Sims games all online multiplayer social networking games, because the smaller number of whales will more than make up for the larger group of simmers who drop out. The small group of whales can potentially spend more money than the entire group of people just buying a normal The Sims base game or pack.

It's still a gamble though because from what I've been reading, since whales spend so much money, they only stick to one or two games. So EA is trying to find whatever it is that draws gamer whales even if it ruins their games for everyone else.

It's sad. The only place we non-whales can go to at this time are the indie devs and the game publishers who haven't jumped in on this yet. And right now, that's Paralives and whatever game Paradox Tectonic makes.

• Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    In short, they don't care about the gamers that refuse to play online games or drop out. All they want are the "whales". In the game world, "whales" are the small number of gamers who will spend huge amounts of money just to win their games. I think this why EA is gambling on making the next The Sims games all online multiplayer social networking games, because the smaller number of whales will more than make up for the larger group of simmers who drop out. The small group of whales can potentially spend more money than the entire group of people just buying a normal The Sims base game or pack.

I mostly agree with that but "whales" are usually a thing for pay to win games. And I can hardly imagine Sims as pay to win. Though it can easily be Pay to Skin ))) But it'll be a very sad game and can pretty much just be a mobile one. And considering that mobile segment now is larger than both Console + PC maybe they do not want to invest in two separate games anymore? Maybe next gen sims game will be developed with mobile platform in mind?
  • Options
    Harukotyan wrote: »

I mostly agree with that but "whales" are usually a thing for pay to win games. And I can hardly imagine Sims as pay to win. Though it can easily be Pay to Skin ))) But it'll be a very sad game and can pretty much just be a mobile one. And considering that mobile segment now is larger than both Console + PC maybe they do not want to invest in two separate games anymore? Maybe next gen sims game will be developed with mobile platform in mind?

EA did mention that they want the next The Sims game to be competitive, though I don't know exactly how. That's where they'll put the microtransactions that will give the "edge" in winning whatever competition they cook up. I've played free-to-pay competitive games and it is too stressful and really just not fun after a very short while.

They also said that they want the next The Sims game to be story-oriented. So that means they may pay-gate it in order for players to advance in the story. I've tried games like that too and being pay-gated breaks the flow of the story and gameplay. So because of that, I never found out the ending to those stories because I refused to buy anything!

Then of course there's the CC market which up to now has been free, which they'll want to monetize to get a cut from all profits. I'd rather pay 100% to the creators of the CCs and mods. I already paid for the game to help pay the salaries of the devs. That cut would just go to EA which I honestly don't think they deserve - since there was absolutely no effort from them at all.

So for me, I can see myself not getting into those features and will just skip the next iteration as I have with TS4.

I really hope Paralives and Paradox Tectonic will not follow suit. But in case they do, I've already started branching out from the life simulation genre and am enjoying the "Harvest Moon" type games (My Time at Portia) and the survival games as well (Subnautica). And I'm going to play the heck out TS3 until the very end!

• Options

EA did mention that they want the next The Sims game to be competitive, though I don't know exactly how. That's where they'll put the microtransactions that will give the "edge" in winning whatever competition they cook up. I've played free-to-pay competitive games and it is too stressful and really just not fun after a very short while.

They also said that they want the next The Sims game to be story-oriented. So that means they may pay-gate it in order for players to advance in the story. I've tried games like that too and being pay-gated breaks the flow of the story and gameplay. So because of that, I never found out the ending to those stories because I refused to buy anything!

Then of course there's the CC market which up to now has been free, which they'll want to monetize to get a cut from all profits. I'd rather pay 100% to the creators of the CCs and mods. I already paid for the game to help pay the salaries of the devs. That cut would just go to EA which I honestly don't think they deserve - since there was absolutely no effort from them at all.

So for me, I can see myself not getting into those features and will just skip the next iteration as I have with TS4.

I really hope Paralives and Paradox Tectonic will not follow suit. But in case they do, I've already started branching out from the life simulation genre and am enjoying the "Harvest Moon" type games (My Time at Portia) and the survival games as well (Subnautica). And I'm going to play the heck out TS3 until the very end!

It sounds to me like they are wanting the next Sims game to have a PVE server to it. With what ever competition they cook up, that suggest a PVE,( Player verses Event ). Conan Exiles already have this as part of the game. Funcom, the studio behind the making of Conan Exiles creates an event. The players go online on a PVE server to take part in the event. Hence the term PVE or Player verses Event.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    June 1st GP, and we’ll get EP reveal that day(EA PLAY day). Hopefully a leak before it, betting it’s farming. I’m not personally interested in farming, but players have been asking it for years now.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    June 1st GP, and we’ll get EP reveal that day(EA PLAY day). Hopefully a leak before it, betting it’s farming. I’m not personally interested in farming, but players have been asking it for years now.
    It could be a farming pack. They did tease that sims can bond with nature in the next EP. Farmers do bond with nature in a way. Plus we did get at least two new planter and a bug farm in ELS. Plus Sims 3 did have some farming stuff in it, like a new tractor that the sims can ride around on and do a bit of farming with.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think if there announcing the Expansion Pack at EA Play, it's probably very flashy, colorful or showy. Like Island Living or Journey to Batuu (Yuck).

A Farming Pack could be considered flashy and interesting. Something with animals. Or a Mythology Pack.

It's probably not something mundane, or it wouldn't be considered interesting enough to show at EA Play.
  • Options

It sounds to me like they are wanting the next Sims game to have a PVE server to it. With what ever competition they cook up, that suggest a PVE,( Player verses Event ). Conan Exiles already have this as part of the game. Funcom, the studio behind the making of Conan Exiles creates an event. The players go online on a PVE server to take part in the event. Hence the term PVE or Player verses Event.

How does PvE work? Would we have to pay extra money for the event? To win rewards? Because so far, EA has been making every online opportunity a money generator (for them, not us, lol!).