Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sentiments are driving me mad

What the heck kind of game mechanic would have a mother with a festering grudge against her CHILD because once when she was a toddler, she didn't want to take a bath? I thought those things were supposed to fade over time. I have aging off, and this has been going on for Sims weeks. It's truly the dumbest thing I can imagine.

/rant
HcmCUds.jpg
Life needs an undo button.

Comments

• Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited January 2021
    I feel ya. I just started playing a new sim and he started a romance and they had one bad date (honestly not even sure why is was bad, the game just decided it was a dud date lol) and whenever he was near her, he got incredibly sad or embarrassed since he was remembering the bad date, and the buff just kept appearing every time they got in proximity of each other. Needless to say, I cheated to remove the buff, asked her out on another date and made it the most amazing date ever, so now they only have positive sentiments about each other. So maybe if you try to form another more positive sentiment with the child it will go away and get replaced?
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    @permanentrose I found a cheat on Sims Community to remove the offending sentiments. Which will be wonderful if it works, I haven't tried it yet. The thing is, they have a really good relationship with lots of good sentiments and then from nowhere this old sentiment from toddlerhood raises its ugly head again. I don't know what's going on. I do have Meaningful Stories, so I hate to throw too much shade without knowing if that mod affects things, but I have seen ppl who play without mods complaining as well so who knows.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Maybe before I try the cheat I'll get mom to take her on a mommy and me date and shower her with attention. It would be interesting to see if that helps. Provided I can get her out of the rage she was in yesterday just from being in the same room with the poor kid. LOL.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @permanentrose I found a cheat on Sims Community to remove the offending sentiments. Which will be wonderful if it works, I haven't tried it yet. The thing is, they have a really good relationship with lots of good sentiments and then from nowhere this old sentiment from toddlerhood raises its ugly head again. I don't know what's going on. I do have Meaningful Stories, so I hate to throw too much shade without knowing if that mod affects things, but I have seen ppl who play without mods complaining as well so who knows.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Maybe before I try the cheat I'll get mom to take her on a mommy and me date and shower her with attention. It would be interesting to see if that helps. Provided I can get her out of the rage she was in yesterday just from being in the same room with the poor kid. LOL.

just have them hug it will make it go away after like five hugs
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    It needs a lot of tweaking. I had two sisters, like... best friends ever, suddnely having a grudge and I don't even know what it was about.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited January 2021
    I wish I liked the sentiments more. And sometimes I do enjoy them. It's just that when I'm trying to play a certain storyline (like my one above) it's super annoying for something dumb to ruin it lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    well I like them its nice to have a little drama again they go away with a few hugs and I'm sorry just like in real life or they just go away on there own with time
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2021
    Forgeron wrote: »
    ....and I don't even know what it was about.

Bam. This is the key to what is so annoying about it.

I guess in real life we often work out that somebody is mad at us, and we don't know why. Perhaps the developers were going for that kind of approach, but I find that it really just makes the game annoying. I have nothing to work with. What do I need to fix, if I don't know what went wrong, and so on? Perhaps if there was a way to find out - like in real life, you would eventually face the person and say "hey, what gives?" (or maybe you'd just let it slide and move slowly away from them forever more). But to the best of my knowledge, I can't do that in the Sims.

@PriestessBizarre well... maybe they could automatically pause the game, or move the camera to the sims interacting so that we notice what is going on. The notifications aren't enough, they are too generic to me.

@permanentrose I wish I liked them more too. They don't seem to affect my game that much, besides annoying me sometimes. I think they thats cuz they tried to sell them to us as memories, but they aren't memories actually.
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    edited January 2021
    Forgeron wrote: »
    ....and I don't even know what it was about.

Bam. This is the key to what is so annoying about it.

The only reason I know what all this stemmed from is that at the moment mom tried to bathe her and she had a mini meltdown, I happened to be watching them. I checked sentiments immediately, and there were hard feelings on both sides. If I'd been watching dad weed the plants, I'd have never known what the heck happened. I can only imagine if I didn't even know what caused it, I'd be even more maddened. If that's by design, it's a poor design indeed.

I'll also try the "hug it out" method. Thanks for the suggestion, @comicsforlife
    I wish I liked the sentiments more. And sometimes I do enjoy them. It's just that when I'm trying to play a certain storyline (like my one above) it's super annoying for something dumb to ruin it lol.

That's my main gripe. Aside from the annoyance of something so minor seeding a festering grudge that's lasted for years, it's messing up my sim's perfect life. It may be boring, but it's my preferred playstyle, and it annoys me that something out of my control is mucking it up.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • Options
    GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    I think my only problems with sentiments so far have been them being gained randomly without reason. My sim will talk to new people and right away sometimes gain sentiments about how long they have been friends... they have met! It can get a bit annoying, on the other hand my sim saw her husband cheat on her on the wedding, got angry but no sentiment, he apologised and now they have 2 kids. It seems to be a bit unreliable :(
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I have an independent toddler and every time a family member tries to teach him anything he gets defiant and then has a hurt sentiment towards that person for 2 days. They haven't developed any hard feelings towards him yet, but I'm starting to. Getting sad because your grandmother who dared to try to help you with your blocks two days ago just walked in the room is a bit much.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    My sim that owns a retail store is getting the same sentiments to strangers she uses retail interactions on, that she gets to close family and friends. It takes nothing into account regarding relatives or how long sims have really known each other. It's all so terribly generic and shallow. Couple that with having to click panels to go find out what a sentiment is. Nice idea which could have benefited from being deeper and more user friendly.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Don't even get me started! The first time I went to the Festival of Youth in Mt Komorebi I took my child sim along with her father because I wanted her mother to remain at home with her toddler brother, after the festival said child was angry with EVERYONE in her household for not giving her the blessing of "youth" at the festival because somehow missed the interaction in the interactions menu.
    But she was angry with all of her family members for weeks, it only faded the next time the festival came around and I was able to find the blessing in the interaction menu.
    However, this time, she was angry with her toddler brother for not giving her "the blessing of Youth" like excuse me what? Your brother can't even give you the blessing of youth because he's younger than you, you fool. Who on earth programmed the way these sentiments work/activate? They're so wonky and all over the place. Not to mention lifestyles are bugged to Hell and back as well.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    The sister was going through a mean streak and she said one mean thing to her brother and he got a festering grudge. Sometimes if a sim just says hello they can get a closer from memories sentiment. It makes no sense sometimes.
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    There's a mod for toddler having an enternal grugde against their caretakers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bg-no-hurt-and-45131063
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Yeah, I had a child who was mad at her entire family all through childhood and the grudge carried over into her teens.

The cause was I took the family to one of the festivals. The rest of the family took off to the bar to use the restroom, and I let them do their thing while focusing on the child trying to find some hidden thing that was the focus of the festival, or so I thought.

Finally, I brought the entire family together for ice cream, and then everyone went home. A nice outing, or so I thought. Soon after, the daughter, who had a great relationship with her family, started being upset over something from the festival that I was unaware her family was supposed to do. Kid was mad forever. I changed to a different household and know to NEVER take a child to that festival again.

Seriously, everything in Sims 4 is too much or too little. I really wish they tested more before releasing new packs.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Don't even get me started! The first time I went to the Festival of Youth in Mt Komorebi I took my child sim along with her father because I wanted her mother to remain at home with her toddler brother, after the festival said child was angry with EVERYONE in her household for not giving her the blessing of "youth" at the festival because somehow missed the interaction in the interactions menu.
    But she was angry with all of her family members for weeks, it only faded the next time the festival came around and I was able to find the blessing in the interaction menu.
    However, this time, she was angry with her toddler brother for not giving her "the blessing of Youth" like excuse me what? Your brother can't even give you the blessing of youth because he's younger than you, you fool. Who on earth programmed the way these sentiments work/activate? They're so wonky and all over the place. Not to mention lifestyles are bugged to Hell and back as well.

Ah, I read this after my post. This is same thing that happened to me. So crazy making 😂
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2021
    Some of the sentiments don't make sense at all. I've mentioned this before. The adoring sentiment from a parent to a child or sibling to sibling should not fade away easily. It should take a lot of effort and a very bad relationship for this sentiment to fade away. Yet it's gone again within a week or two of obtaining it.

Toddlers should not hold festering grudges towards anybody. Their minds just don't work like that. I actually downloaded a mod from Zero for this issue a few days ago.

I like the sentiments but I feel like they need a lot of improvements.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,593 Member
    The first negative sentiment that came up in my game was a Toddler feeling sad when near the Sim that hurt him. That Sim was his mother! :open_mouth: I don't have any kind of mods that create violence in my game. Spanking doesn't occur as part of the interactions with Parenthood. (Too bad; spare the rod, spoil the child.) All I can realize is, perhaps, she told the little brat "No." And he got offended. I call him a brat because he is one. He thinks he rules the roost — and he's the Charmer. Yeah, so very charming of you, Andrew. He is a Toddler, after all. But, I do agree that if a player wants to get these things overridden, you have to have the Sims involved work toward better memories together. In this respect, it's an awful lot like real life. I'm waiting for them to place a Psychiatrist back into the game. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Fortunately I am not having that particular reaction, most of my sims have deep personal relations, yada yada. I am really enjoying that part, but I'm about to start my third generation in some of my saves so I haven't had the "pleasure" of raising kids since these last few patches. Never say never, lol. I feel for those who are. What it sounds like to me is there are an awfully lot of spoiled brats. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    jred250jred250 Posts: 2 New Member
    I like sentiments and I think they are one of the best additions to the game in a long while. With that said, I do wish that there were ways to resolve negative sentiments that were more apparent to the player. If my Sim hurts someone that I didn't want to hurt, I want a clear path to resolve that. The fact that you can actually hurt someone and have a way to deal with it is fun, emergent gameplay but only when I have some guidance on what to do.

Otherwise, I'm just poking around in the dark about what to do or waiting for it to go away.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    I have a love/hate relationship with them. Some of them are so sweet!

But then there's the dumb stuff. Like I sent one of my couples on a hike since the weather was nice. They stopped to enjoy the scenery, and while they were stopped, the girlfriend was attacked by hornets. Her boyfriend then became angry with her for being attacked, and had negative thoughts about her because it ruined his hike. I was floored. Instead of being concerned for her wellbeing he was angry AT HER that she got attacked...where is the logic here?
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    All my family members have deep connected sentiments. If there's any negative ones, I know to delete it right away, now knowing that they don't fade.
  • Options
    SamDenny wrote: »
    All my family members have deep connected sentiments. If there's any negative ones, I know to delete it right away, now knowing that they don't fade.

yes they do