Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims Stop Collaborating?

sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
edited January 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
While I know virtually nothing about makeup, I have seen some controversy with the new Sims 4 X Mac collaboration. Apparently the makeup they released is an old product with a Sims 4 box. It got me wondering, do you feel The Sims 4 should stop spending money with other companies for these frivolous collaborations?

I'm purposely leaving out a neutral stance because people tend to lean slightly more to one side and answering Yes or No will provide clear data. Also with the franchises collaboration track record, l don't expect any future collaborations would be anything better than what we've seen in the past.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Should The Sims Stop Collaborating? 187 votes

Yes
67%
auroraael14julienrob2004GalacticGalIcewolfJaseIrishSimmer21alexspoom13jeLlyBeAn1573sims2freak737vichasnosoulCamkatPlayerSinger2010sam123keekee53AnmirlaMariefoxprice83WyrrenDevSims91drake_mccartyfruitsbasket101 127 votes
No
32%
crocobauraCK213bshag4lvdanacnbrettTheSpotted_CmcruddDOLLDRMS1MeteoraStormhaneulilovejewel17simgirl1010friendlysimmersJestTrug01denswanalanmichael1Amj1995KatiardguezelelunicyBabykittyjadeteamjen 60 votes

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    I think they better stop for the following reasons :

1. the company/brand they work with matters. If it is something I like, I will probably like the pack but if it is something I don't care about... This is a personal preference for every single player and I doubt I will always like the company or brand. The only collaboration in sims I actually liked was the H&M collab in sims 2. But this is a brand I actually used in real life (never heard of Mac or mochino before and I won't be buying their products because of the collab) and this pack integrated nicely with open for business with more CAS and BB items to run your own clothing store, with or without H&M written on the building. The sims 4 collabs never made as much sense as this one from 2007.
    2. mixed results with the recent collaborations
    - mochino : I think the brand adds too little to the pack to give its name to the pack. What is worse is that I like this pack because the brand is not prominent in the pack.. I like the photography and the furniture and the windows. But I have yet to use the CAS. There is also very little clothes for a collab with a fashion brand.
    - Mac make up: it rarely looked good on sims at release. I have mainly be building since the patch to add opacity sliders so I don't know it's current state. But a brand make up should have looked better than regular make up, not worse, definitely at the moment it was patched in.
    - Star wars : never seen so much hate and controversy around a pack so I don't think it is a success. Where mochino felt like it was not represented enough in its pack, star wars feels like the opposite. I like the theme but dislike how they intentionally prevented integration with other packs. Why are droids just toys at home, why can't we dress in regular clothes on batuu, why is there no weather on batuu why no supernatural powers on batuu,... ? You either play 100% star wars on batuu or no star wars at home. It is difficult to integrate with regular gameplay. This would have been better as a stand alone like sims medieval.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,886 Member
    Yes
    I loved the H&M, Ikea and Diesel stuff in TS2. Don't remember if there were any other collabs there. Was so fun to make shops with these things also, back when retail was actually enjoyable. But not getting into THAT discussion.....

I have no clue about Mac and Moschino, never heard of them before they were introduced to my sims. I've disabled most of the Mac makeup (thank the Watcher for mods!), but have used some of it. I've used almost all the Moschino stuff, both Build/buy and CAS. Have not used the Photo stuff yet. Star Wars? Could have been a lot more to it. I do love some of the BB. The clothes are too "spesific", and I feel only looks appropriate in Batuu.

This is a global game, its played in all corners of the world. A collab with a company that is well known globally would be welcome. I think the collabs they have done, are too narrow. They are of course directed at their target audience, which I believe are young females. I seriously doubt that audience is the majority of their players. Not everyone is that interested in makeup and fashion. It seems pretty shallow.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,972 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    cause they fail to make cool things come out of these collabs.

I wouldn't complain if it resulted in cute merch and cool game content but according to track record it does not

and they just adding plumbob stickers to things to pretend they somehow relate to sims at this point

i dont want sims to be known for making lame things with plumbob logo
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    edited January 2021
    No
    I picked no cuz it doesn't really affect me in any way. Most of the collabs they do in-game is free (for example, Moschino one) and even if it's paid, if I don't like the CAS object or whatever, I just don't use it. There's a lot of original Maxis CAS items that I don't like too which I don't use, so to me, they're all the same thing.

Even if they spend a lot of money to collaborate with these other companies, it's not like we can control where they would spend the money on, if they don't.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Yes
    Moschino Stuff has a few good CAS items, and the build/buy content’s not bad either, but the other collabs don’t really interest me. If I wanted to play a Star Wars game, I’d play one, and aren’t most of them owned by EA anyway?
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes
    I have never been a fan of collabs in any of the sims games. My biggest thing is that this is a game and supposed to be a life simulation. Not real life exactly and more of a parody. If I want real life things, I'll go get and do those real life things. I prefer my game to be a game and stay a game and have nothing to do with real life. It's a break from my real life. I get enough advertising daily without seeing in my game as well. It blurs the line between real and fake. Also, as someone else said, brands matter and it is very much a very personal preference. I think it's best to just leave branding to the CC creators. That said though, I do prefer if they are going to do this, that they do leave it to stuff packs that we can choose to buy or not rather than like they did with the MAC and patch into the base game.

I can see how they want to do this from a marketing perspective, but there are so many ways to market, I don't really feel like the Sims series needs this or that they ever did need it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    No
    No the collaboration doesn’t bother me. But they had way too few pieces of clothes and colors in Moschino stuff. If they are going to collaborate they should be able to get a lot more pieces.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Yes
    I voted Yes simply because all of TS4's previous collaborations ended up being a mess in one way or another. Most of the Mac makeup is either too subtle or too overdone to be used properly, and now it's causing controversy to boot, Star Wars panders to only a small portion of the player base, with even some SW fans saying they don't enjoy that content in the game, and while the Moschino stuff pack ended up being a pleasant surprise, that was because of its photography features and career, not for the brand-name clothes it was trying to advertise.

Personally, I would love another Disney collaboration featuring Disney princesses' dresses, hairstyles and accessories this time, but just like Mac, it would probably be too much for normal sims, and just like Star Wars, not everybody would be interested in it. That said, I feel like a hypocrite for criticising those very things about the previous collaborations, but I guess that's the price you pay for doing collaborations in the first place, it's just that hard to do right.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited January 2021
    No
    I like collabs as long as they provide something for the game as well and not just pure advertisement.
    I think the MAC makeuo that came in a free update is amazing.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    No
    I think it's mainly the opposite. The other brands probably pay to collaborate as a form of marketing except for music artists, etc, who are paid to perform. I hated the Katy Perry collaboration. Star Wars is just not an interesting theme to me.

I don't mind a bit of collaboration if it means more options. Moschino is ok, I've used some of the decor for modern builds such as updating an apartment in San Myshuno. A few of my wealthy sims wear the branded clothing. I actually like most of the Mac make up for the sims, especially now with the slider. I usually use different eyeliners but I've incorporated the eyeshadow, blush and some lipstick. Make up needed an update.

As long as it's not for every pack, I'm fine with some collaboration. Also, working with different artists and musicians makes sense to me.

If it's a theme I'm really not interested in, I won't buy it. I don't think I'll be as reactive as I was when the Katy Perry stuff came out. At that time, I quit for years. Different furniture and clothing would be fine with me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    No
    If i dont like it i just won't buy it
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    No
    I think collaboration is always a good idea even if the result is not what I want. It's good for both entities and sometimes it is good for the consumer. But I always remember it's not about me. Even If I don't like something, it doesn't mean other players don't like it. If anything, it has people working together and there is nothing wrong with that in this "me, me, me" generation.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    No
    I say no because they are a business and a company. It's normal for businesses to try to reach new customers and collabs are popular.
    Now how well they do it or how many people are into it has nothing to do with us. It's their company.

And that marketing money will go to some form of marketing either way. Some collabs I actually like. Some I don't just like any other business. I don't wear makeup so no interest with that. But totally interested in kpop collabs.

However that sims pallet I saw was pretty embarrassing 😅😅 I think it's mainly for people who are just into collecting anything with the sims name on it. Hey, maybe you just need nude basic colors and the outside cover is cute so you buy it. Not everyone is into wild neon colors.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    I think they should spend less time and money on marketing and collaborations and focus on the game itself, because when they do that, we get skin tone updates and makeup sliders.

When they don't do that, we get collaborations like the MAC makeup and a Star Wars world that we can't live in.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think it depends on how versatile the collab content is going to be, so I dont mind it to a point.

The Mac makeup update, first of all who's gonna say no to free content? 2nd of all, its makeup! It doesnt make any affect on your playstyle, you dont have to be a makeup guru to fully appreciate it. I think its fine.

Moschino, now I never heard of it until the pack's release and since then Ive only seen 2 people wearing Mochino gear. I like the pack since it really adds to the photography skill and can be easily integrated into your game. High fashion modeling photoshoots or family portraits, its has you covered. Although I do find the in-game poses kinda silly, I just use cc poses to use instead.

Star Wars? Now this is when I have a problem. JtB practically depends on the player being at least somewhat knowledgeable about the SW universe to get any real enjoyment out of it. If you're not into SW, then this pack basically doesnt have anything for you. And since it all takes place in a separate world, its not something you can integrate easily into your sim's day to day life. Had this been a more general space adventure pack that didnt have already established lore, chances are the community as a whole wouldnt have been so against it. I still see simmers regard JtB as not a "real" pack so it doesnt need to included with the rest of the packs.
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Yes
    the amusing thing is, the more i see ea trying to advertise ts4, the less players i see interested on the game LOL
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,623 Member
    Yes
    I totally hate the makeup. Most of it in the game makes my Sims look like Trollops. Shudders. What happened to the notion that makeup should be lightly applied and ONLY to enhance what you've already got?

Some of the other things they've collaborated over, such as with Disney, makes me shudder, too. I won't go into the political ramifications of why I no longer trust Disney and their ilk. Suffice it to say, they have sold us out.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Yes
    DeKay wrote: »
    I picked no cuz it doesn't really affect me in any way. Most of the collabs they do in-game is free (for example, Moschino one) and even if it's paid, if I don't like the CAS object or whatever, I just don't use it. There's a lot of original Maxis CAS items that I don't like too which I don't use, so to me, they're all the same thing.

Even if they spend a lot of money to collaborate with these other companies, it's not like we can control where they would spend the money on, if they don't.

It's true we can't control where they spend their money but I would like to see that money put into the game to fix the list of neverending issues.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    No
    I have always enjoyed the collaborations EA has done, especially where the music is concerned, great job. I don't mind FREE dlc, even if it is a bit much and over the top, I just don't use it. What I hate is no options, i.e. Katy Perry Sweet Treats, you either bought into all the total silliness or not at all. Its still to date, the only pack in the Sims series I do not have and will never have, it made my eyes bleed. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    No
    Honestly as long as they are free things patched into the main game, then I’m open to it. Not gonna pay extra for that stuff, but if it’s included in the game, then I often do find a use for items or make up for at least a few sims
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yes
    Yes, thanks.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,400 Member
    No
    I don't mind the collaborations. I wonder if the Bellagio in Las Vegas would be interested in a collaboration with the Sims.
  • Options
    StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    Yes
    Im not a fan of the collaborations. I Did like the clothes from previous Sims Diesel collabs. -But the clothes in the previous games was really dated. So it was needed, but It's not because it was a brand. I just liked cool clothes.

It's like the Star Wars being a part of Sims; I love Star Wars and I love Sims. - I dont love it together! I haven't bought the Bantu XP. I did just purchase the Moschino pack during the sale. To get the loft windows. But I don't really wanna support it.
    I rather have good gameplay, good CAS and build content developed than some brand content.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    No
    I have nothing against it. MAC had the potential to bring tons of good and much need makeup variety to the game, it was just terribly executed. I think if a collab is done well and brings good items I'm all for it.

For example, not to generalise against the sims team, but from my understanding majority of them are older and probably not that knowledgeable on modern fashion. If they collabed with a fashion brand that is very current then they could get some good clothing designs which are more interesting and modern. Same with the makeup, if the MAC collab was done well it could've added lots of good styles we wouldn't have got otherwise.
  • Options
    GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    Yes
    I cringe at these things. It feels like the old crew trying to look cool by hanging with the youngsters. It isn't even cool to begin with what these types nowadays are doing. Then, they again.. only target a certain age and interest group with these collabs.
    The people they collab with are also always the same types. It's ironic for a company that keeps screaming DIVERSITY. I guess age groups do not count in this.