Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I got more Raymon!! so after I eat the leftovers from next Thursday's holiday (New Year's Eve) I can eat some raymon (ramen but I'm producing it in the Korean way)

my not direct upstairs neighbors cause they live upstairs but on the opposite side brought me blintz last night.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited December 2020
    Aww turns out I have the greatest gift of all...a wholesome meme.

KyT22B3.jpg

(Alright I found it on FB and unfortunately don't know who to credit but they're right)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I need some excuse (spy gear) or something to explain why there's a cellphone in the 1970s
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I need some excuse (spy gear) or something to explain why there's a cellphone in the 1970s

a genuis scientist invented it ahead of its time,
  • Options

can't since the phones aren't used until the 2000s I'm only allowing the cellphone to be used as spy gear in this one case.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

can't since the phones aren't used until the 2000s I'm only allowing the cellphone to be used as spy gear in this one case.

i know but if hes a genuis he cold have invented already/
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

Make something up about time travel.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Aww turns out I have the greatest gift of all...a wholesome meme.

KyT22B3.jpg

(Alright I found it on FB and unfortunately don't know who to credit but they're right)

Exactly. :heart:
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    Also heyy, it's been way too long! But I finally, finally finished the next chapter for Chrysanthemum Tango!

Chapter 57: Small Steps
    mbnpwoW.jpg

Some take steps towards healing, some towards opening their hearts and learning to trust. And some take many, many steps inside an infinite library.

I hope you enjoy! Stay safe and healthy, everyone!
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    If I said a "loading point of a theme park ride" what do you think I mean?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @RipuAncestor: happy to summon you, I was just a little worried that the next message would be "this is Ripu's mum and she died of the 'rona" but only a little. I know your stuff is on my (re)read list but don't hold your breath, and either way I'm happy you're kind of back.

The take on the afterlife makes a lot of sense because it would be unlike Thad to intrude on it if you ask me.
    @InfraGreen Thankfully I'm still kicking! I'll try to remember to check in here every once in a while now that I'm writing for Sims again. Nice to hear from you too!

I check in here anyway even though I currently am not writing simlit (just some regular old boring old fanfic, I'm afraid)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Does it have to be a cell phone?

Could you angle the shot in such a way to hide the phone and say he's talking on a walkie talkie? They were invented in 1937 so plenty of time for your spy to have one.

Or you could say that the spy's agency had small cell phones way before anyone. The cell phone itself was invented in 1973. It was huge, but it's a common enough trope that spy agencies have more advanced tech than the public. So you could hand wave the size by saying the spy agency figured out how to make it into a smaller size (of course keeping that a secret would benefit them as spies so they don't share with the public).

The point on the ride where passengers get on.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Does it have to be a cell phone?

Could you angle the shot in such a way to hide the phone and say he's talking on a walkie talkie? They were invented in 1937 so plenty of time for your spy to have one.

Or you could say that the spy's agency had small cell phones way before anyone. The cell phone itself was invented in 1973. It was huge, but it's a common enough trope that spy agencies have more advanced tech than the public. So you could hand wave the size by saying the spy agency figured out how to make it into a smaller size (of course keeping that a secret would benefit them as spies so they don't share with the public).

The point on the ride where passengers get on.

I decided to hint at the phone call with a rotary phone instead (you can't use the rotary phone but it's better then nothing)

this is what I had in my previous attempts:
    yytHGwC.png

but this time I'm going to hint at the call that had already happened:
    WXGBdVi.png

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    For vintage phone stuff: @candycottonchu has some amazing poses but with just a vintage phone receiver, no body or cord.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    For vintage phone stuff: @candycottonchu has some amazing poses but with just a vintage phone receiver, no body or cord.

thank you that's what I was thinking of last night but I didn't know it was around! I guess I can reshoot that one scene and it can be more perfect @InfraGreen
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ignore I figured out
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, everyone! Just wanted to remind you of the Monthly Short Story Contest that @lisabee2 coordinates. This month's theme is winter!

Here's my entry: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2020/12/26/winter-on-wing-and-prayer/

(Warning: it's sad and about current times...)

Also, if you want to enter (please do!), here's info about how to... https://lisabeesims.com/2020/11/16/monthly-simlit-short-story-challenge-november-december-2020-theme/
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    KanindotaKanindota Posts: 101 Member
    I would like to branch into SimLit. I'd like to know where most writers are. I started on Tumblr, should I have gone elsewhere?

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to post in, still figuring things out :)
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I use WordPress and I know many others do. There is also another one that is pretty common that I forgot the name of :D hopefully someone else remembers what it's called.
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,381 Member
    Kanindota wrote: »
    I would like to branch into SimLit. I'd like to know where most writers are. I started on Tumblr, should I have gone elsewhere?

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to post in, still figuring things out :)
    Hi @Kanindota I think this is a good place to ask :)
    I know @skeila uses weebly.com
    I use WordPress and am well satisfied.
    If you have not come across this thread yet, I picked up many good tips here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884045/a-quick-guide-to-simlit-sims-story-faq/p1

• Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited December 2020
    Shadami wrote: »
    I use WordPress and I know many others do. There is also another one that is pretty common that I forgot the name of :D hopefully someone else remembers what it's called.

Blogspot/Blogger
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    Kanindota wrote: »

I'd say the writer count goes, in order: Tumblr -> WordPress -> exclusively posting to forums -> Blogger -> exclusively sharing chapters in a Discord server with friends -> LiveJournal and LiveJournal clones like Dreamwidth -> misc. I do think comfort with a platform is as important as the people on it if not more, hence why I don't pressure the LiveJournal crowd into switching. That'd just be mean.

No shame to starting out on Tumblr, and you can also cross-post stuff and most people do like linking to chapters on forums, Tumblr, other social media, etc. Hence why we're here in a writer's lounge though we also try to have actual conversations too.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    KanindotaKanindota Posts: 101 Member
    Thank you @Shadami @MonaSolstraale and @NyteRose for responding...I'm a bit torn now. It feels like there's more on WordPress based on the quick guide and I've just set up my Simblr...maybe I'll give it a wait and see how I go with playing Soms and writing SimLit.

Do you have anything you're working on? Looking for some muse...I looked at one of the pages where people updated and clicked on one that was posted PG13 but when ended up in the website with a chapter too explicit for my tastes.

Is this there a way to encourage writers to put trigger and/content warnings? Again maybe it was my fault for going on the link after it said that it contained adult content...I guess I'm a bit naive when it comes to these things...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rednenemon wrote: »
    @RipuAncestor: happy to summon you, I was just a little worried that the next message would be "this is Ripu's mum and she died of the 'rona" but only a little. I know your stuff is on my (re)read list but don't hold your breath, and either way I'm happy you're kind of back.

The take on the afterlife makes a lot of sense because it would be unlike Thad to intrude on it if you ask me.
    @InfraGreen Thankfully I'm still kicking! I'll try to remember to check in here every once in a while now that I'm writing for Sims again. Nice to hear from you too!

I check in here anyway even though I currently am not writing simlit (just some regular old boring old fanfic, I'm afraid)

@rednenemon I should probably check in more too. At least when I have the social energy to do that. :smiley:

My Sims stories:
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    For warnings it depends on the writer, but I've seen many people put warnings especially if it is a chapter suddenly different than a majority of the rest of the story.
    I think many of them are warnings at the beginning of the story though if it is going to heavily be a certain way. Also pg-13 guideline is very confusing for me xD it depends on the year pretty much what that means. Sorry you ended up somewhere you didn't want to be.

I'd definitely trust the warnings that do get out up though :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top