Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I crazy?

Thinking about returning to TS3 after all these years.
I have played since before TS1 had any expansions. When each new iteration came out, I swapped over pretty promptly and never looked back. Until now.

I’m curious. How active is this forum and how many people have played TS4??

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Will it be easy to get all my extra purchases (expansions, sim store etc) back??
    How are the system requirements for TS3 compared to 4? (Will my computer run it well if it handles TS4)
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    It's not overly busy here, but busy enough. There are always some people around.
    While not everyone here tried TS4, most have. Some play it regularly or both games (or even TS2), others just TS3. Given TS4 has been given away for free a few times, most people have at least looked at it.
    How easy it will be to get your old stuff back is anyone's guess. The experiences differ wildly.
    I think TS4 may need a 64-bit system, but it doesn't use as many resources, at least as long as you don't load all DLC. So the answer is: depends very much on your system.
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited December 2020
    I am a fairly recent returnee to TS3. When I picked up the game again, back at the end of September (or was it October?) I hadn't touched it since mid 2012. However, I had a hankering to play one of my favourite families again and recreating them in TS4 just didn't cut it. I am a Mac player but I did play on my Win laptop while waiting for the new Mac version of TS3 to be released.

Technically you will probably have to do a bit of reading about your video card and how to get the game to recognise it. I had to do that on the laptop. It's not hard to do so don't be put off. There's a lot of information and expert help on this site and people with knowledge who can help you if you need it.

I had no problem downloading my store bought items. I downloaded them on both the laptop and my Mac.

I am loving TS3 again. It may take longer to load and save and it is not always as slick and smooth as TS4 but it has a lot of depth to the gameplay and the sims themselves are so interesting. It is not just the different art style; the sims' personalities and the forces that drive them are so different and can be challenging. It is easy to have a bunch of happy, friendly sims in TS4. My TS3 sims are a lot more grumpy and quirky but a heap of fun.

So, my advice, is to go for it.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I played Sims 3 for almost a decade, and Sims 4 for the last 2 years. I still play both games but I prefer Sims 3 as I'm getting lot more enjoyment out of it than Ts4.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    How are the system requirements for TS3 compared to 4? (Will my computer run it well if it handles TS4)
    Can we get some quick specs on your system? Processor, RAM, graphics card, hard drive size and space free? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Figwit wrote: »
    I am a fairly recent returnee to TS3.

Hi, @Figwit :)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    Thinking about returning to TS3 after all these years.
    I have played since before TS1 had any expansions. When each new iteration came out, I swapped over pretty promptly and never looked back. Until now.

I’m curious. How active is this forum and how many people have played TS4??

Not crazy at all :) i play 4 and sometimes 3.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I've been playing Sims 3 since July 2013. I played Sims 4 for about 4 months when it first came out. That was enough for me. I also played Sims 2 for a few months when they gave it away for free. I liked it better than Sims 4, but not as well as Sims 3.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Just what I needed.
    This morning I downloaded Sims3 via Origin. Even made a test Sim and mucked about a bit.
    I had forgotten just how much content I owned. Or how full the neighbourhoods (worlds in TS3 I guess) seem.

There are still some things to navigate, like getting the graphics right (edge smoothing was off for example...) and finding the best way to download my Store purchases. But I am looking forward to giving TS3 another try.
  • Options
    Figwit wrote: »

I am loving TS3 again. It may take longer to load and save and it is not always as slick and smooth as TS4 but it has a lot of depth to the gameplay and the sims themselves are so interesting. It is not just the different art style; the sims' personalities and the forces that drive them are so different and can be challenging. It is easy to have a bunch of happy, friendly sims in TS4. My TS3 sims are a lot more grumpy and quirky but a heap of fun.

This is exactly what I am hoping for.
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Can we get some quick specs on your system? Processor, RAM, graphics card, hard drive size and space free? :)

Win10, 64 bit. Plenty of hard disk space. I think 8GB Ram. Will get the exact graphics a bit later. It’s some not-too-bad Nividia. I’m running an external monitor via a DVI cable, letting Windows display to that screen only...

• Options
    @NRowe - If you want to shortcut most of this, you can grab (copy) and paste the first 40 lines or so of your DeviceConfig.log, a file that reproduces itself each time you start up TS3. Not the long lists of game options, the parts that come before all of that. Since you are already playing again, you should have a fresh one in your TS3 user game folder in Documents.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2020
    I find myself playing the Sims 3 more than the Sims 4 lately. I still like the Sims 4 but honestly the Sims 3 just seems more engaging. I feel more involved in it and I’m already super attached to my family. I am fairly new to the Sims 3 since I couldn’t play it when it was the current game. It doesn’t have the issues that bother me in the Sims 4 like the autonomy is just so much better and I don’t need 50 billion mods to enjoy the Sims 3 either. :D
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have never stopped playing Sims 3. It's a great game. Open world, Create a Style, lots of things to do, tons and tons of mods and custom content. And I make my own poses. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    It's not as busy as the Sims 3 forums, but a lot less toxic. I play Sims 2, 3, and 4 at the moment. My first game was TS3. I got into the franchise in 2015, but I chose to start with Sims 3 instead of Sims 4 because the latter was heavily-criticized.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We really need to do something about the lack of toxicity on this side of the forum. It makes some players uncomfortable.

Let's see now...everyone who has read or posted on this thread is ugly, their mothers were llamas, and we are all playing the wrong game, whichever one it is. What is the matter with us anyway, were we all kicked in the head by wild horses when we were little or did the adults keep tossing us in the air and forgetting to catch us? It would really be best if we all just got Role or Service assignments as we're never really going to amount to anything in life. We should probably bathe more often. And our computers are all garbage that shouldn't be used for playing games like these.

There, all sorted out? B)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I don't have anything toxic to say, so I'll let my friend Tox do it for me:

L20xW1P.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I think that should about cover it.
    Except you forgot to add that we should all be thrown into a pool and have a wall built around it so we can't get out.
    Simply removing the ladder doesn't work anymore :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited December 2020
    ...their mothers were llamas

@igazor, My mother IS a llama...
    file-20200526-106811-ql6d51.jpg
    just not the side you're thinking of.
    32be77998253b3ddc309fd85b1b62c41.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @Cororon do you have pictures of your poses? I love poses, do you put them up for download?
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    @Cororon do you have pictures of your poses? I love poses, do you put them up for download?

I make them when I have ideas for screenshots, and very few of them would be of use for other simmers. And since I only use them once I have never bothered to make them pose list compatible, so I never share them. :smile:

U7NEMnL.jpg

jx95f7Q.jpg

tfq5IkN.jpg

6XNiHUi.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Aw, shame, they're very nice though! :)
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    Aw, shame, they're very nice though! :)

Thanks. :smile: I think more simmers should make their own poses. Your imagination is the limit for what you can do, and your game will feel fresh forever. :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Cororon Perhaps you could do a tutorial to teach those of us less knowledgeable how to do it. Many of us don't have the skills or knowledge to do this despite wanting the occasional unique pose to use for our sims.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    We really need to do something about the lack of toxicity on this side of the forum. It makes some players uncomfortable.

Let's see now...everyone who has read or posted on this thread is ugly, their mothers were llamas, and we are all playing the wrong game, whichever one it is. What is the matter with us anyway, were we all kicked in the head by wild horses when we were little or did the adults keep tossing us in the air and forgetting to catch us? It would really be best if we all just got Role or Service assignments as we're never really going to amount to anything in life. We should probably bathe more often. And our computers are all garbage that shouldn't be used for playing games like these.

There, all sorted out? B)

@igazor Oh YEAH?! Well yo Momma