Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I crazy?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I still play 2, 3, 4 and Medieval / Pirates.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @Cororon I love your poses.

@bekkasan Here is a really nice tutorial on how to do poses that taught me the basics of animation (which is just a series of poses). It's really nice to be able to make your own and would love to see what you come up with. Your stories are incredible with using others' poses.

• Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    @Cororon Perhaps you could do a tutorial to teach those of us less knowledgeable how to do it. Many of us don't have the skills or knowledge to do this despite wanting the occasional unique pose to use for our sims.

There are many tutorials out there. I used the tutorials linked on this site: http://mysims3poses.blogspot.com/p/pose-creation-tutorials.html

And there are many videos too, like the one ZeeGee posted.

I use Blender, version 2.79b

Hm, I think there was something that had to be updated for the Sims 3 ClipTool to work on Windows 10.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @ Cororon Perhaps you could do a tutorial to teach those of us less knowledgeable how to do it. Many of us don't have the skills or knowledge to do this despite wanting the occasional unique pose to use for our sims.

I love all the tutorials listed so I'll throw my other favorites here with an explanation: the actual act of making poses (the joint rotatin' and grabbin') in Blender is pretty much the same between TS3 and TS4. Please follow the TS3-specific ones for the technical stuff like importing and exporting poses/animations, but for making poses look better:

Everything simmerberlin has said on the subject: https://simmerberlin.tumblr.com/tagged/my-tutorials/chrono

Ratboysims on how to stop fingers from being so weird: https://ratboysims.tumblr.com/post/175235866315/you-ever-get-to-the-hands-while-making-a-pose-try (obviously the rigs to download are TS4-only, I'll upload the edited TS3 ones I use with popular demand?)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    It's a good idea to save your favourite tutorials on your computer because links go dead and pictures get deleted. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2020
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »
    We really need to do something about the lack of toxicity on this side of the forum. It makes some players uncomfortable.

Let's see now...everyone who has read or posted on this thread is ugly, their mothers were llamas, and we are all playing the wrong game, whichever one it is. What is the matter with us anyway, were we all kicked in the head by wild horses when we were little or did the adults keep tossing us in the air and forgetting to catch us? It would really be best if we all just got Role or Service assignments as we're never really going to amount to anything in life. We should probably bathe more often. And our computers are all garbage that shouldn't be used for playing games like these.

There, all sorted out? B)

@igazor Oh YEAH?! Well yo Momma
    (gasps and clutches pearls in horror) Well, I never!

Ghost of Groucho Marx, his voice keeps speaking to me: "You should try it, you might like it!"
    :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor You made me laugh! You can’t be toxic when you’re laughing. 😊

@InfraGreen Yes please on sharing those rigs. I’d like to try them.

Loving all the tutorials too!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    @Cororon @ZeeGee, I should really look into doing poses... and trying to learn, I downloaded Blender; no Milkshape, and I've got some hockey poses that I want to put together as well as some military poses, not to mention some poses for Haruo and River :D But we won't talk about THOSE... :D Just kidding, some affectionate poses...nothing non-T rated. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited December 2020
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @ igazor You made me laugh! You can’t be toxic when you’re laughing. 😊

@ InfraGreen Yes please on sharing those rigs. I’d like to try them.

Loving all the tutorials too!

One request is enough! Included AF/AM/CU/PU, hands modified only, no pets because I don't know how useful that tip is for them, no babies because they don't have posable fingers.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@ZeeGee I appreciate the confidence you have in me :heart: but I really am an old dog that cannot be taught new tricks. Well, it takes way longer to learn new things with this old brain. I did look at the first video and thought well, I can do that. I know how to download stuff. :grin:

I've got them bookmarked to look at. I figure I will have to schedule time like I do those daggum CEU classes we have to take to keep our licenses updated. :wink:

Work already eats up most of my day. :confused: I need playtime too!

@Cororon Bookmarked yours too. I really am technologically challenged so I doubt it will be as easy as you think it should be.

@InfraGreen Thanks for the additional links and I will bookmark those too!
  • Options
    @Cororon Bookmarked yours too. I really am technologically challenged so I doubt it will be as easy as you think it should be.

It's not that difficult when you have learned the basics. I have made poses for many years, but I still forget small things and have to check the tutorials. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    @InfraGreen Got the rigs, thanks! And I’m learning so much from these tutorials you and Cororon posted.

@bekkasan For years I lived in a state that didn’t require CEUs but moved to one that does now, and they also require license renewal every two years! The difference in state licensing requirements is insane. Anyway, Blender does have quite a learning curve. I’ve chopped at it in little bits for years and still have a lot to learn. The thing that helped me most was a blender course on iTunes U recently that taught me the basic menus. I had jumped into animating sims before I even understood what Blender was so made it doubly hard on myself. Understanding the menus and all the options really upped my game. BUT...if you don’t have the time or inclination to learn, and have a unique pose that you need, let me know and I’ll give it a try. 😊

@Nikkei_Simmer From what you’ve said in other posts I gather you have a lot of free time right now so it’s a good time to learn!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @ZeeGee, Yeah... Health isn't good, so yeah, plenty of time to learn stuff. You know how they say, "An apple a day...keeps the doctor away?"

"A render a day...keeps Alzheimer's away...unless insanity strikes first."
    Screenshot-75.jpg
    I wish I had an animated gif of my sim hitting his head on a computer keyboard. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I started with TS3--as back then, it was enjoying good discounts on Steam, while TS4 was not (even on Origin, which I had for SimCity 4 and a couple other games). The only problem I have is that it's very intensive, and being 32 Bit, it doesn't really work that well on my PC, since it can only use like 2GB of that. I have a consumer-grade PC with a really good i7 for the period TS3 was current (third generation), and 16GB of RAM. With that amount of RAM, and being able to use as little as half of it, I am sure the game would be just a tad more stable, and quit crashing. Or, get off my rear end and finally get around to building that gaming PC.

It's a much better game. I had base game from 2018 until late, late last year. The game was full of stuff to see and do, and most of the world was interactive, and you could visit most places in the game, including landmarks. And this was just base game without all the (very excellent packs. Vs. all the decorative fluff, fewer lots. I will say this--TS4 still has the better-looking Sims, and easy to use CAS. I can only get ugly and really ugly Sims in TS3.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    cody6268 wrote: »
    I can only get ugly and really ugly Sims in TS3.

First, Sims 3 can use 4 go of ram if you’re on a PC. Macs were only able to use 2 but maybe that’s changed now with the Mac update.

Second, if you’ll look around the Sims 3 section of the forum, there are many many beautiful sims. If you can’t learn to make them yourself, you can always download.

Third, never mind..
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Isn't there a thread somewhere about our ugly sims and robotic gameplay? I haven't seen that thread for a while now, come to think of it. Perhaps we ought to bring it back.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Are we back to TS3 and ugly sims? Again? That saw is getting old and rusty.
    Screenshot-75.jpg
    no cc.
    Screenshot-79.jpg
    with cc
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2020
    The 2 GB RAM limit is getting really tiring to hear about as well, especially since it hasn't been true on Windows (only the original Mac version) since EA patched Large Address Aware into the game with Patch 1.17 in 2010 for heaven's sake. But players still keep claiming 2 GB. I really don't know where they are getting that from, unless they are somehow playing a totally unpatched game. If the game is only calling for some amount around or less than 2 GB, then that's all the game engine wants at that point. Having a 64-bit version isn't going to change that unless the entire game engine is rewritten and the game using more RAM when it's not needed for anything isn't going to make it run any more smoothly.

I've been testing the 64-bit Mac version on and off in my rare blocks of "spare" time. I haven't driven the game crazy enough yet to really push its limits, but the test worlds/saves I am using still call for less than 2 GB because they aren't full or sophisticated enough yet even with all my mods and all 11 EPs in play to require more RAM. It's still the same game engine. There are other faults with the new Mac version, and some of them are next to impossible to ignore, but RAM usage isn't usually one of them and lifting the 4 GB barrier is not helping to solve them.

But no. TS3. 2 GB limit. Ugly sims (that's totally subjective with or without CC). Not compatible with Win 10. Won't run on new hardware. Island Paradise is broken and can't be fixed. And other tales my grandfather told me (as the expression goes, for the record I loved my grandfather). There's just no reasoning with some players.

Maybe I need to take a little break here soon, bait like the above really shouldn't be triggering me so much after all these years of reading such posts... :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    Isn't there a thread somewhere about our ugly sims and robotic gameplay? I haven't seen that thread for a while now, come to think of it. Perhaps we ought to bring it back.

Wasn't this the one? @Pary?

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/911304/can-you-show-me-your-super-dull-sims-3-pics
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Yes, that's the one! :) It has been MIA for quite a while actually.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    maybe someone should make a new one I can't I don't have a place to share pics on here I haven't found one I like yet
    more for sim kids and more drama please