Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch Is Out! November 10 (Update Nov 17)

Comments

• Options
    Bird166Bird166 Posts: 443 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Bird166 wrote: »
    Bird166 wrote: »
    Wish I hadn't downloaded the patch! I can play for about 5 minutes then the lag is ridiculous and then the game freezes and I have to shut down my computer to get out of it. No mods, No CC. I repaired the game in Origin, deleted the localthumbcache, restarted my computer...nothing solved this issue. I've NEVER had a problem running this game. I had just come back to it after a 2 month break after seeing Snowy Escape but now I won't be buying that without a fix. I have to wonder if that pop-op from Origin about having to agree to download those new files (sorry don't remember what they were called) is the reason this is happening??

The update required you to download Visual C++ 2015 and 2019. It also required my computer to restart after that. Maybe they updated the drivers.

So far the game is running fine for me without mods on my laptop...I have not updated it yet on my desktop PC...

What does the Visual C++ do? Do you think that might have something to do with the issues I'm having? I am on a PC with Windows 10, all updated.

They are drivers that makes the game being able to run and display graphics. It could be the issue, crinrict is listing the new MS .net Framework as a possible issue on Answer HQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Game-Crashes-after-November-2020-Patch/td-p/9719086 if that's the case, all you can do is make sure that your graphics card is using the latest drivers and your Windows is up to date, I noticed that they released a new .NET Framework update today.

That's interesting, I checked the update history on my laptop and that update failed (KB45867819).

Thanks for your help, I've been following that thread as well. I'm definitely not the only one having issues so I hope we get a fix soon. I need this game in my life right now.
  • Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Has anyone been able to create a rental lot yet? I don't have the option :(
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    My game made my whole computer crash when I first opened it for the first time after the update. However, once I updated Windows (I'd forgot to do it lately) and restarted my computer, everything worked fine. I managed to play for about an hour without problem.
  • Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    That's interesting, I checked the update history on my laptop and that update failed (KB45867819).
    omg, thank you for mentioning this!! the same update failed on my laptop too, updating now. I experienced one crash while playing, as I wrote earlier on this thread. hope this is the fix.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

Yep, but if you upload them to the gallery they upload as residentials. But they show in your game as rentals.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    mingusssss wrote: »
    omg, thank you for mentioning this!! the same update failed on my laptop too, updating now. I experienced one crash while playing, as I wrote earlier on this thread. hope this is the fix.

Let me now if it helps, I will notify Crinrict if that's the case. I'm not sure that's the issue but it doesn't hurt to try.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Another thing for folks to try is a clean folder game restore.

Back up your saves and Tray folders, and also Options.ini file so you don't have to reset all your game options.

Rename your The Sims 4 folder in Documents/Electronic Arts to something different, like Old Sims 4.

Start your game; it'll generate a brand new Sims 4 folder. Exit directly from the main menu.

Copy your backed up saves and Tray folders and Options.ini file to the new The Sims 4 folder. (You might need to delete the existing ones generated by the new folder, just to be on the safe side.)

Start your game again -- you should see your existing saves available under Load Game, and your Library contents on your tab in the Gallery.

I actually did this before I installed the patch and I've had no problems, so I wonder if this could be useful for some folks.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    StephL19 wrote: »
    After the patch, half of my mods and base, stuff, expansion, game pack are having scripts called failed. I have repair the game, It's still saying it. Counchs, Bed, Kitchen cabits and counters, etc. I don't know what else to do, was looking forward to playing the sims.

Wait for mods to be repaired or certified by the developer as being okay -- MCCC and UI Cheats already have been fixed so you can download and install the new versions. Some of the mods on MTS have been checked and no changes needed. You could monitor this thread to see when your favorite mods are okay: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/983508/broken-updated-mods-cc-snowy-escape-nov-2020#latest or you can just go to the individual mod sites to check.

It's actually important to do this every time there's a patch -- even something really small will change the code in some way, and maybe a mod you were using to correct a bug may no longer be needed (like the freelancer career fix mod).
  • Options

All you need to do is go into Build Mode and change the lot type from Residential to Rental; it'll be towards the bottom of the lot type list.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Another thing for folks to try is a clean folder game restore.

Back up your saves and Tray folders, and also Options.ini file so you don't have to reset all your game options.

Rename your The Sims 4 folder in Documents/Electronic Arts to something different, like Old Sims 4.

Start your game; it'll generate a brand new Sims 4 folder. Exit directly from the main menu.

Copy your backed up saves and Tray folders and Options.ini file to the new The Sims 4 folder. (You might need to delete the existing ones generated by the new folder, just to be on the safe side.)

Start your game again -- you should see your existing saves available under Load Game, and your Library contents on your tab in the Gallery.

I actually did this before I installed the patch and I've had no problems, so I wonder if this could be useful for some folks.

Thanks for reminding me about this option. I haven't downloaded the patch yet as I am waiting for all my mods to be updated. I don't have many but those I do have are essential although I see at least one mod I can chuck away after I update. I did that with the last update in september and to be honest I just updated to that patch and the smaller one in october, two weeks ago. Just hope I don't have to wait so long this time around although the reason I did wait so long was not just because of my mods but also because people were experiencing problems with that patch as well. Like not being able to play their old saves.
  • Options
    danceswithchaosdanceswithchaos Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2020
    I haven't read about this yet, but did the patch also add the ability to live in previously "Vacation Only" areas, such as Granite Falls? I thought with vacation destinations now available for every world (and the new menu) you might be able to live in those areas now.

Here's wishing, as I really want a hermit who lives in the woods or jungle (sigh).

Did a quick test run of the patch one of my computers and it at least booted up and allowed me to start a new vanilla game without issue, but I didn't play it long as it is my daughter's game (not mine... I've been playing offline just in case). All I did was reboot her computer after getting the Microsoft and reboot message.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I haven't read about this yet, but did the patch also add the ability to live in previously "Vacation Only" areas, such as Granite Falls? I thought with vacation destinations now available for every world (and the new menu) you might be able to live in those areas now.

Here's wishing, as I really want a hermit who lives in the woods or jungle (sigh).

Did a quick test run of the patch one of my computers and it at least booted up and allowed me to start a new vanilla game without issue, but I didn't play it long as it is my daughter's game (not mine... I've been playing offline just in case). All I did was reboot her computer after getting the Microsoft and reboot message.
    Nope.

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    When did they update the skin tones? I still only see the original 30 or so
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    When did they update the skin tones? I still only see the original 30 or so

Big skintone update comes in December. In this patch there were just some minor changes.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    The patch is fine, i haven't had any issues installing or crashes but I have one complaint...

I HATE how they updated the relationship panel/conversation panel. I can no longer just hover over profiles to see family relations, such as father, mother, brother, etc. I have to actually click the "sim profile" to see. I just don't like that. If my sim is talking to someone, I should be able to just hover over the conversation panel to see relations. They added a drop down menu for sentiments, they should've included relations too.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yesterday, I made a split-level Asian home with the platforms. I'm looking forward to putting my new home in the new world on Friday & upgrading it with the new stuff. :)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    sketches wrote: »
    I installed the patch earlier today — without mods — and it's been working just fine.

The only odd issue I've had now is being unable to drag fruits/veggies to/from my Sim's inventory.

I'm sorry to hear that! I dragged lots of fruits, veggies, and flowers to and from my Sim's inventory tonight and had no problems, so hopefully your issue will resolve soon.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited November 2020
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    My update went smoothly and game no problem. Wish there was a way for everyone to share their specs and maybe find a reason for others difficulties presuming they are updating and then running without mods. I'm on a desktop, no mods, and I notice a few mentioning running laptops for the game .

I'm on Mac laptop running a ridiculous amount of mods. It's going great for me.

Here are my specs:
    50592407683_0c4230cba8.jpg

My laptop actually has two graphics cards and chooses one depending on the situation. The second is an AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

Before updating, I removed my Mods folder. Then I updated. When I put my Mods folder back in, I also removed a few of those files that are known to cause trouble. I forget which ones exactly, but I definitely removed the resource.cfg and localthumbcache.pkg files. I might have removed a couple others as well, including notify.glob. I didn't repair the game.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    TorieTorie Posts: 87 Member
    > @SerraNolwen said:
    > My game made my whole computer crash when I first opened it for the first time after the update. However, once I updated Windows (I'd forgot to do it lately) and restarted my computer, everything worked fine. I managed to play for about an hour without problem.

I haven't patched the game yet, but I found the new update for .Net Framework (among other stuff) in Windows Update settings menu. This thing is very important for gaming as far as I know.
  • Options
    TorieTorie Posts: 87 Member
    Ok, kinda weird: I've updated my game just now and before installation a new Licence Agreement popped up, it concerned Virtual C and so on. And after the Update Origin restartet my PC which never happened before. So I guess they fixed that Virtual C problem.
  • Options
    There are also new eye presets. Four for female sims and seven for males.
    Top ones:
    ciKUmZAwBrs.jpg
    fQnEEqv_Br4.jpg

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Downloaded the patch, removed all my mods, started a new save, everything looks great, no crashes, woo hoo! Then he went to eat, and immediately after walked to the bathroom to do the dishes. I was CRUSHED that this bug fix didn’t take.

Do you have platforms in your sims house? I have my kitchen on a one level up, (one arrow up) platform and my sim was in the living room which is the same level as the bathroom and she used the bathroom sink to wash dishes. If she eats in the kitchen at the table, she'll use the kitchen sink to do dishes.
  • Options

Not yet -- I think they're still working on that possibility. It might take a little while; I wonder if they've been working on the combination residential/rental worlds since IL and we know that's been out for a while. I want my Quest household with Dr. Benton Quest as an archaeologist instead of a scientist and living in Selvadorada. B)

Glad to hear your game started fine. I haven't played much (Real Life issues) but I've been slowly adding back in mods as they're updated/certified as okay by the developer.
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    My update went smoothly and game no problem. Wish there was a way for everyone to share their specs and maybe find a reason for others difficulties presuming they are updating and then running without mods. I'm on a desktop, no mods, and I notice a few mentioning running laptops for the game .

I'm on Mac laptop running a ridiculous amount of mods. It's going great for me.

Here are my specs:
    50592407683_0c4230cba8.jpg

My laptop actually has two graphics cards and chooses one depending on the situation. The second is an AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

Before updating, I removed my Mods folder. Then I updated. When I put my Mods folder back in, I also removed a few of those files that are known to cause trouble. I forget which ones exactly, but I definitely removed the resource.cfg and localthumbcache.pkg files. I might have removed a couple others as well, including notify.glob. I didn't repair the game.

I kept my resource.cfg file -- it's designed to allow more file folder depth in the Mods folder (instead of everything all lumped together). I like to have a separate folder for MCCC and for LMS' mods so it's easier to pull those out when there's a new patch. I don't think it really causes problems, not as much as localthumbcache.package can. Nice specs BTW -- I'm on a fairly old ASUS ROG laptop (got it back in 2016 but it's actually a 2015 model) but I'm looking to get a new one next year, as I'll have some extra money coming in. B)