Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4 9 Expansion Packs in

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited August 2020
    Been saying this for a while. I go in Sims3 and I have so many directions I can go and full EPs are one of the things that has provided this with a huge amount of careers, supernaturals(if you want to go that way), large/full worlds, lots of stuff to interact with, the underwater area, ability to collect stuff like insects, aquariums worth having, riders for toddlers, houseboats, resort running, and so much more. No contest or reason to consider for me.

Cinebar wrote: »
    Comparing the EPs to EPs, I will have to say TS3's EPs were more complete with gameplay and many more interactive objects for Sims. Supernatural is a good example. Though I think Vampires (GP) is the best vampires in the entire series, I think Supernatural proves you can flesh out fantasy characters in one EP and have more than one type without breaking a budget and includes a full new world.

Comparing Late Night to perhaps GT or CL or how many did we have to buy? I think it proves you can have a fully fleshed out EP like LN and not go bankrupt. I say that because some of the reasons we hear all the time is budget and expensive to animate and yada, yada, yada.

I think the two island EPs one in TS3 and one in TS4 proves more can actually be done in one EP than a tiny world, not even animated for more than one Sim in some cases of usable objects such as a boat, and still make money.

I think TS4 no longer has any excuses left for claiming it's the budget and time and or expensive. They made a billion. They may not put a billion back into their games, but EA really should stop milking.

Meant to add for the money I would have to say TS3's EPs, and it's not even my fav. and I had problems with the slow AI between Sims sometimes (designed that way) but it still proves loads of gameplay in an EP is possible.

No, I'm not happy about the direction for the last few EPs players feel like they got lectured instead of a pack to play, that's not good to lecture your customers. Sooner or later, it will turn around on them because people don't like lecturing in games. They play games to do what ever they can imagine within the realms of human nature and not feel they are being sold propaganda.

And be able to set any bin Sim as the supernatural you want right off the bat in the Sims3 instead of Sims4 extra steps. Extra steps in a bunch of things is what takes away from my game. I'm not happy about the direction they have taken either. Starting to wonder if they care about their loyalest paying players/longtime customers.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Two S4 EPs surpassed their S3 predecessors imo: Get Famous is much better than S3 Nightlife, and I also like S4 Seasons better. All other S3 EPs are miles away. The biggest disaster for S4 is Island Paradise vs Island Living.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    • TS4 toddlers and vampires are superiors to the TS3 one and believe me this is hard to admit for a sims 3 fan I am. The sims 3 toddlers are cute but boring to play, and the vampires is very coded as the basic. They lack of powers compared to the rest of the Supernatural Sims, they even cannot be turned into a bat as in the sims 2 how sad. :'(
    • I also like the parenthood system idea that is superior to the sims 3 as well. This could be easily added in the sims 3 Generations for instance.
    • TS4 sims are very close to their family related compared to the sims 3 people. Really I enjoy that because this is realistic and this could easily to add in the sims 3.
    • TS4 dogs poop a thing I never understood why they didn't add this earlier. Except of that, they are in both game demanding to care of but what I hate in the sims 4 is we cannot let them a bit alone, their needs decrease very fast.
    • We can read the SMS send to your sims, a thing we cannot sadly have in the sims 3. I would love to have a notification to be in the know, that could be very funny.
    • We can be a Vet and Hospitals and Vet Clinics are not rabbit holes so I really appreciate this too in the sims 4. I do not understand why we cannot be a Vet in the sims 3 knowing that we got plenty of minor pets, horses, cats and dogs, etc to cure and to care of. I even do not know why our pets never fall ill in the sims 3.
    • And of course we can have hollidays !
    • And we got a better multitasking experience with TS4 and I appreciate sometimes how emotions affects them, the special interactions we can have with objects and people. I never realised this before being a little bit deeper in ts4. I really miss this in ts3.
    So yes in some points TS4 is improving a bit, at least for the ideas of gameplay and this is a 64 bit game (very awesome really)

For all the rest , TS3 kills TS4 and I enjoy my sims 3 a lot.

Now for performances, I got an AMD processor and AMD graphic card I always experience error 12, I cannot play my game full graphics , I experience my game turned fully black and I am sad this not a 64 bit game really we need it ! Ok I have a millions of CC this explain that for sure and my Lucky Palms is over populated. I do not suffer of the syndrom of empty venues. :)

My TS4 works like a charm except it bugs hard on buy/build mod.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I like both but nowadays I prefer 4.

Like everyone I have issues with certain things in the game, things I want added, things I want fixed, etc etc. but I still enjoy the game and have a lot of fun with it. There's just a lot of things that make it better in my eyes. I tried to go back to Sims 3 a while ago and honestly I got bored. All the townies look the same and it just feels very confined playing in one world after playing Sims 4 where you can just access any world any time.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    I went back to play Sims 3, and hands-down, even from base game and up, Sims 3 just has better Sims AI and more depth, just more content in its expansion packs. Especially for the prices they are charging! Sims 3 packs are more worth the full-price money, imho.

I do prefer Sims 4’s pick up and play a bit more, and prefer Sims 4 toddlers, but Sims 3 just has more creative/building tools and more possibilities to change the world to your liking. (I just have to use a little mod to force sims to populate my community lots, mainly, and fix or add some features of bakeries/restaurants.)

But, even vanilla, Sims 3 expansions just have more to offer. Let’s look at Island Paradise (even despite it’s annoying tech issues) vs Island Living. Island Paradise has a big world with water and islands to discover and explore, mermaids with more cooler powers (summoning sharks), underwater swimming and diving, ski boats, houseboats, lifeguard career, and resort/hotels. Oh, gosh, you can even own and run the resort/hotel as well! 🤗 Sims 3 just had more careers that I liked as well, like Generations’ Daycare career and such.

There is just so much content in the packs. Even in base game, though, Sims 3 just has more stuff to do.

And this is coming from me, who loves Sims 2 and Sims 4.

At this point in the lifespan of the game, Sims 4 should be matching or surpassing Sims 2 or Sims 3, and it is not meeting those standards of meaty packs or more fleshed out features.

So, for me, even as someone who doesn’t fully love Sims 3 (due to more technical aspects and lack of Sims 2-level details and charm and lack of business stuff that need to be modded in) Sims 3 is still much more ambitious and content-rich than Sims 4 at this point in time.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Two S4 EPs surpassed their S3 predecessors imo: Get Famous is much better than S3 Nightlife, and I also like S4 Seasons better. All other S3 EPs are miles away. The biggest disaster for S4 is Island Paradise vs Island Living.

You really can't compare Get Famous to TS3's LN. They aren't about the same things. If you want to compare GF to any EP you would have to compare it to ShowTime or even Super Star in TS1. If you compare what those two EPs came with, GF is a laughable joke. How in the world did they afford to offer more than one career when they had not made a billion. Especially SuperStar.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    As someone who's played sims 3 from the start I really enjoyed the sims 3 era because one the devs were more open about the next coming EP's or stuff pack maybe because it was an era when social media was really starting to take off but it was always fun to get the latest game disk, opening it up and see the booklet with the next pack info in the back. Since we had the forums and YouTube was just taking off we'd get a video of the devs being very excited about what's coming and that really got the excitement going.

Sims 3 is buggy and laggy I won't deny it but it is jam packed with gameplay anyone could find something they liked about a single pack even if some of it didn't interest them some of it did. For example, World Adventures some people didn't care to explore the tombs but there where other things they could do instead like if they went to France they could make wine, take in the scenery, talk to locals, learn songs and buy/learn new local recipes. So each pack had a little something for everybody.

Sims 4 is lacking dev communication and most of the packs don't really work well with each other like there's no mixing of the packs. Each pack is tested with the base game but none of the packs really cross into another, only pack that i really think has crossplay is season's and that's only cause each world has their own weather in the different seasons based on the environment. Like someone else said in sims 3 if we didn't like a world or cared to paly in a world that came with a particular pack we could just use another world and bring the pack objects to the world we wanted to use. In sims 4 we're limited, san myshuno has all the festivals so you want to go to a spice festival in willow creek? too bad. Island living, want to have a beach in oasis springs, well you can't sorry about that. realm of magic so your a spellcastor and want to duel in the park? nope sorry have to keep it in the magic realm. Aside from that we can't even have multi-functional lots like say i want a restaurant that sells baked goods, like some restaurants in my area, I can't because a restaurant and a retail lot don't function together and oh yeah my sim can't even work the restaurant he/she can just stand around looking good instead of working in the kitchen, seating/serving sims at a table. We don't even have a graveyard lot type for our deceased sims I mean it can't be that expensive or time restricting to add a graveyard lot type. Sometimes I wish we could go back to the simpler time of the sims 2 where the only lot types we had where residential and community with no restrictions.

Despite some of sims 3 flaws they brought the world to life and really let the player have full creativity and we could really play how we wanted. In Sims 4 we're very limited and we're stuck playing certain features in certain places because of that our creativity is limited and the player isn't playing how they want but rather how the devs expect us to. The beloved sandbox life simulation is becoming less of a sandbox and more boxed in.
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member

You really can't compare Get Famous to TS3's LN. They aren't about the same things. If you want to compare GF to any EP you would have to compare it to ShowTime or even Super Star in TS1. If you compare what those two EPs came with, GF is a laughable joke. How in the world did they afford to offer more than one career when they had not made a billion. Especially SuperStar.

I believe they are comparing sims 3 late night to sims 4 get famous because sims 3 late night came with a celebrity system which was sims 4 get famous selling feature.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I can play TS3 on my Vivobook with all packs. I know the limitations of my computer and am willing to sacrifice a lot of graphic quality to play it. I won't even consider putting TS4 on my computer. The lack of gameplay of that iteration isn't worth wasting my money on it.

The constant "All sims look the same" schtick is getting tiring. It's always said by those who won't bother learning the sliders or can't be bothered to have the patience to go into the CAS menus and fine-tune their sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 3 is better with AI, amazing world graphics, waaaaay bigger worlds, and more content.

(I checked hours of gameplay and I do tend to keep playing Sims 4 a lot more than Sims 3, though, weirdly enough, lol. I like Sims 4’s more pick up and play nature and more goofy sims and its toddlers and vampires a lot.)

Sims 3 was... just not for me. It didn’t have the same charm. I was more of a Sims 1 and Sims 2 fan, anyway.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Been saying this for a while. I go in Sims3 and I have so many directions I can go and full EPs are one of the things that has provided this with a huge amount of careers, supernaturals(if you want to go that way), large/full worlds, lots of stuff to interact with, the underwater area, ability to collect stuff like insects, aquariums worth having, riders for toddlers, houseboats, resort running, and so much more. No contest or reason to consider for me.

Comparing the EPs to EPs, I will have to say TS3's EPs were more complete with gameplay and many more interactive objects for Sims. Supernatural is a good example. Though I think Vampires (GP) is the best vampires in the entire series, I think Supernatural proves you can flesh out fantasy characters in one EP and have more than one type without breaking a budget and includes a full new world.

Comparing Late Night to perhaps GT or CL or how many did we have to buy? I think it proves you can have a fully fleshed out EP like LN and not go bankrupt. I say that because some of the reasons we hear all the time is budget and expensive to animate and yada, yada, yada.

I think the two island EPs one in TS3 and one in TS4 proves more can actually be done in one EP than a tiny world, not even animated for more than one Sim in some cases of usable objects such as a boat, and still make money.

I think TS4 no longer has any excuses left for claiming it's the budget and time and or expensive. They made a billion. They may not put a billion back into their games, but EA really should stop milking.

Meant to add for the money I would have to say TS3's EPs, and it's not even my fav. and I had problems with the slow AI between Sims sometimes (designed that way) but it still proves loads of gameplay in an EP is possible.

No, I'm not happy about the direction for the last few EPs players feel like they got lectured instead of a pack to play, that's not good to lecture your customers. Sooner or later, it will turn around on them because people don't like lecturing in games. They play games to do what ever they can imagine within the realms of human nature and not feel they are being sold propaganda.

And be able to set any bin Sim as the supernatural you want right off the bat in the Sims3 instead of Sims4 extra steps. Extra steps in a bunch of things is what takes away from my game. I'm not happy about the direction they have taken either. Starting to wonder if they care about their loyalest paying players/longtime customers.

No, I think they don't. They say we hear you, but hundreds of maybe thousands of their long time players (been around longer than one iteration) ask for improved babies, improved worlds, improved editing of districts or worlds, improved fixes, improved farms and other things. They make a speech how they heard them, but no, next thing won't contain those things...so I guess that shows they care about the new player who doesn't ask for things we expect.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.