Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4 9 Expansion Packs in

So for your opinion, how would you compare both games with 9 Expansion Packs released? Which one you enjoy the most? Why and why not the other? Are you happy with the direction with the particular iteration of the sims has taken during that time period?

Since this is a topic about Expansion packs, Game and Stuff Packs along with Store Content are not counted in the topic.

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    So for your opinion, how would you compare both games with 9 Expansion Packs released? Which one you enjoy the most? Why and why not the other? Are you happy with the direction with the particular iteration of the sims has taken during that time period?

Since this is a topic about Expansion packs, Game and Stuff Packs along with Store Content are not counted in the topic.

that doesn't seem fair after all sims 3 stuff all came in eps so it would be sims 3 vs some of sims 4
    so 3 would all most always win by default
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    edited August 2020
    I like them both equally and if I had more time to devote to gaming I'd still be playing Sims 3. Same goes for Sims 2.

But, I'll admit the Sims 2 and Sims 3 expansion packs had more content. Content which in the Sims 4 is divided amongst EP, GP, and SP.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020

that doesn't seem fair after all sims 3 stuff all came in eps so it would be sims 3 vs some of sims 4

Which proves exactly that in order to have more content than the Sims 3 had, you have to buy more than just expansion packs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited August 2020

Which proves exactly that in order to have more content than the Sims 3 had, you have to buy more than just expansion packs.

I never said we didn't have to buy more packs anyway it doesn't make the sims 3 better the way it was
    sold was just different and if we're going to compare games all packs should be included @SimmerGeorge
    anyway do you really want to win with sims 4 at such a disadvantage the victory would be hallow at best
    @SimmerGeorge
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    The games are different. At least i play them in a completelly different way. I love both. But 4 is the one i play nowadays.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I did prefer TS3. It took me awhile to accept TS4 for what it is though, they are different games, and once I'd accepted that, I do like TS4 a whole lot more now and more equal to TS3. If they adjusted the personalities in TS4 and made them more meaningful and more like the ones in TS2, then I would probably make TS4 my new favourite. I have noticed they seem to have made some changes in that regard lately (eg, some kids do run out and greet their parents when the parent returns home from work).

We did get more content per pack in TS3 for sure, but we also had more content per pack in TS2 vs TS3.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020

I never said we didn't have to buy more packs anyway it doesn't make the sims 3 better the way it was
    sold was just different and if we're going to compare games all packs should be included @SimmerGeorge

The Sims 3 is actually better because for the price of one TS3 expansion pack, you would have buy various TS4 expansion, game and stuff packs to make an equivalent. So all those TS4 packs together would turn out more expensive.

On top of that, while gameplay works for the most part in TS3, gameplay in TS4 is extremely buggy or broken, so that most people just create and dress up sims or build and rebuild the same limited number of lots that TS4 has and avoid live mode all together. So you get better value from TS3 EPs than from TS4 EPs.

Features of TS3 expansion packs not only affect the world that is included with the pack, but all the other worlds made for the game, whether Maxis or fan made. For example, Island Paradise has scuba diving, life guard career, hidden islands, the Kraken, sharks, hotels/resorts,also had tropical graphical assets, boating, water-skiing, windsurfing, mermaids, etc. You can add all these things to other worlds. There was a problem with routing issues with the world the EP came with, but you had various solutions to solve it. You could fix the problems of that world, BUT if you didn't want to bother with that, you can just use another world with those EP's features. I found that I didn't even need mods for those worlds!

Each TS3 EP had features that drew a wide variety of simmers to buy them. Even the EPS that I didn't think I would like as much, Showtime for example, had things that I love and use a lot in every story or challenge, or freeplay I play. TS4 EPs have less content and less variety, so they don't draw a wider variety of simmers. I can see why Maxis is always churning out so many one-theme packs because each one just doesn't draw enough people to buy them.

The OP asked if I liked the direction that TS3 was going in and yes I did and still do. I loved that each pack was so well made and had so much working content and gameplay. And that the way the game was coded allowed Twallan and others to mod it so that TS3 simmers can adjust almost any and all features down to the smallest detail so that we could truly play the game our way and even combine or tweak gameplay into other genres. It just took my breath away when I realized it can do this and is why I love this game so much still do to this very day.

TS4's direction on the other hand just took so much of our creative ability away in this game. Can't edit those tiny worlds or make new ones, can't add or delete lots and can't change their sizes, everything has limited swatches and patterns. Less lot types and the lot types that are there are sometimes the same but just different names. Gameplay and content in TS4 are poorly done or out of touch with what simmers want. Lots of popular features in previous iterations hadn't made it to the game so far and simmers have to keep asking for them, sometimes for years. I also think the devs are taking the simmers and modders for granted. That's why packs have far less content and are so buggy. They figure simmers have low expectations and the modders will just fix what is broken and fill in gaps of gameplay without having to be paid. And they are right!

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    Comparing the EPs to EPs, I will have to say TS3's EPs were more complete with gameplay and many more interactive objects for Sims. Supernatural is a good example. Though I think Vampires (GP) is the best vampires in the entire series, I think Supernatural proves you can flesh out fantasy characters in one EP and have more than one type without breaking a budget and includes a full new world.

Comparing Late Night to perhaps GT or CL or how many did we have to buy? I think it proves you can have a fully fleshed out EP like LN and not go bankrupt. I say that because some of the reasons we hear all the time is budget and expensive to animate and yada, yada, yada.

I think the two island EPs one in TS3 and one in TS4 proves more can actually be done in one EP than a tiny world, not even animated for more than one Sim in some cases of usable objects such as a boat, and still make money.

I think TS4 no longer has any excuses left for claiming it's the budget and time and or expensive. They made a billion. They may not put a billion back into their games, but EA really should stop milking.

Meant to add for the money I would have to say TS3's EPs, and it's not even my fav. and I had problems with the slow AI between Sims sometimes (designed that way) but it still proves loads of gameplay in an EP is possible.

No, I'm not happy about the direction for the last few EPs players feel like they got lectured instead of a pack to play, that's not good to lecture your customers. Sooner or later, it will turn around on them because people don't like lecturing in games. They play games to do what ever they can imagine within the realms of human nature and not feel they are being sold propaganda.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2020
    When I still actively played Sims 3, I only had Generations, Supernatural, University and Season installed with none of stuff packs. and I enjoyed the game thoroughly gameplay wise, but the performance was awful and the longer my generations the worse it gets. also the horror that is Error Code: 12
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited August 2020
    I never once suffered Error Code 12 in TS3, I think AMD products in a pc can be a game saver rather than the other well known video cards and processors or chips. But I also never installed WA. I think that may have a lot to do with what we know of why I never suffered that error/crash.
    It's not really a head scratcher to me. But I had to turn down how far I could see to four instead of a higher number. And my old pc was barely considered a mid grade pc at the time but was better than the min. requirements. But true, I was not able to install all TS3's EPs but was very satisified with the five or six I did have installed as far as the gameplay and or how much there was to do and buy for my Sims.

Yeah, I'm going to have to stick with for the money pack to pack etc. TS3 offered me more and was more enjoyable in the long run. I will add Seasons compared to TS4's Seasons even if it does have a calander (which gets broken often) was a better EP with more in it to do than in TS4's Seasons, and sorry Maxis, but snow matters.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member
    I feel like sims 4 flesh out certain things, but sims 3 expansion packs offer more of a fuller experience.
    I feel like sims 4 flesh out certain things, but sims 3 expansion packs offer more of a fuller experience.

Yes, C&D compared to TS3 Pets, no horses or other animals because people had been requesting for years a vet career and the pack was broken at release and the career didn't even work right. All that was in TS1, TS2 and TS3's Pets packs for one vet career....and it gets broken often, if it has even been fixed yet, I don't know I think people don't even know yes cats can climb up on other things in the other games just like in TS4 but that seemed to aw so many like it had never been done before. :joy:
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I never once suffered Error Code 12 in TS3, I think AMD products in a pc can be a game saver rather than the other well known video cards and processors or chips. But I also never installed WA. I think that may have a lot to do with what we know of why I never suffered that error/crash.
    It's not really a head scratcher to me. But I had to turn down how far I could see to four instead of a higher number. And my old pc was barely considered a mid grade pc at the time but was better than the min. requirements. But true, I was not able to install all TS3's EPs but was very satisified with the five or six I did have installed as far as the gameplay and or how much there was to do and buy for my Sims.

Yeah, I'm going to have to stick with for the money pack to pack etc. TS3 offered me more and was more enjoyable in the long run. I will add Seasons compared to TS4's Seasons even if it does have a calander (which gets broken often) was a better EP with more in it to do than in TS4's Seasons, and sorry Maxis, but snow matters.

I was playing on 32bit machine back then and didnt know about any of the Nraas Mods, it was frustrating and maybe the cause of my ocd having to save the game once in every 3 minutes, because the last time I had those specific error code was after 3 hours of playtime without saving, imagine the progress of 3 hours gameplay lost lol. Never had those issue anymore once I installed some Nraas mods.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    sims 3 wins its better with all its packs then sims 4 with only half besides the gps are pretty much the best part of 4
    I mean if someone had a chance to get all of 3 or half of 4 I'm gonna say get 3
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Considering that TS3 did not have people complaining about the lack of base game features 9 EPs in (and within less than five years) I think that TS3 wins hands down again
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Hi Guys! I just wanted to remind everyone to be on topic. I did not intent this to be a debate but rather to find out what are the satisfaction and experiences of simmers during this period of time compared in the last iteration since I was not been there before. Thank you in advance
    Hi Guys! I just wanted to remind everyone to be on topic. I did not intent this to be a debate but rather to find out what are the satisfaction and experiences of simmers during this period of time compared in the last iteration since I was not been there before. Thank you in advance

do you mean you want us to talk about how we felt when sims 3 was coming out vs now
    sorry can't help you there I bought sims 3 when all of it was already out

Me too, I never got that code.I also optimized both my computer and TS3 to work well with each other so running the game well was never a problem on my old 2014 4gb RAM computer with integrated graphics card.

And this is not a unique situation. I had to do that for a lot of games I play including the Borderlands series, The Saboteur, LA Noire, etc. And it was all worth it because of the gameplay each provided. TS4 just didn't provide enough of that and was just too buggy in live mode to enjoy. Can't enjoy smoothness of play (but simulation lag exists in TS4 anyway) and graphics (which are goofy) when there's so little to do and so little that works properly in TS4.

The TS4 period is an extremely disappointing era for me. Low quality basegame with less content and buggy packs that made the game worse. It groomed its ever dwindling number of players to have low expectations so if the packs are low quality and meager in content, they've accepted that. Also groomed modders to step in and fill in gaps of content and gameplay for free that paid devs should have done (devs really ought to be ashamed of themselves!). And a lot TS4 players don't even hope for better things for the next iteration. Those are the terrible effects of this game on its players.

The TS3 period was and is (if you're still playing the game) a period of the greatest amount of creative and gameplay freedom. You can set up your worlds and how you want to play it almost any way you want because of the way the devs of that period coded the game. It is truly an amazing game and SO MUCH fun! It made people think highly of the devs, not only for the excellent coding, but of the great quality of content and gameplay as well which for the most worked! Even the bugs, which is nowhere near the amount in TS4 are all fixable or had workarounds. It also groomed its players to have a more positive outlook for the future of The Sims franchise. I still think TS5 will be a lot better than TS4 for example because I know they can do better as they had before. Even waiting for TS5 to be released and then build up the library of packs for it isn't so bad because we have TS3 to play in the meantime.

izecson wrote: »

I was playing on 32bit machine back then and didnt know about any of the Nraas Mods, it was frustrating and maybe the cause of my ocd having to save the game once in every 3 minutes, because the last time I had those specific error code was after 3 hours of playtime without saving, imagine the progress of 3 hours gameplay lost lol. Never had those issue anymore once I installed some Nraas mods.

Well you're in the EA forums with a whole section for The Sims 3. There's plenty of people there to help you with the game now.

edited August 2020
    I'm sorry if I took the thread off topic in any way. I know how frustrating that can be. But TS3 can never be brought up it seems without someone or many saying how buggy it was and TS4 runs better. I only wanted to point out I understood the limitations of my old pc so no, I didn't buy nor play all EPs in TS3 at this point (9) in time compared to TS4's nine EPs. TS4's EPs haven't interested me enough to buy all nine.

There are many reasons why not. And it's no longer because of an older pc not able to play all of TS4's EPs installed, but if I stated all those reasons I would be here all day.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I liked Sims 3 sorry it was buggy but I still liked it better then sims 4. I felt I got my moneys worth.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sims 3 expansions are better. No question. Way more content included and more bang for your buck. The pack felt complete. I’ve played since the sims 3 launch and I still play and I still find new things to do. With sims 4 an expansion pack is done within hours and then you are hungry again for more dlc.

Also I’ve never had an error code 12 on my sims 3 game. My sims 3 with every expansion, stuff pack and store content runs better than my sims 4 game. 🤷‍♀️
  • sharonlynettesharonlynette Posts: 26 Member

Completely agree with you, all the stuff you had with TS3 compared to the previous two. I love TS4 but I recently revisited the third and forgot how much variety there was, I especially miss World Adventures. TS4 feels slicker but there was so much more you could do previously.