Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Here's my 2 cents.

The SparkD TV Show is not my cup of tea.

The SparkD in-game challenge, it's interesting, but the judging selection is kinda unfair. I'll participate, just for fun. More than anything, I do hope that with this challenge, it'll give the unknown creators/simmers an acknowledgement and perhaps becoming their stepping stones to be known. TBH, I want to see new faces.

OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    With all this there are 2 things I desperately want. One - Paralives and 2 - Sims 5 made by another team or office or whatever
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    This is bad and there's no way to deny it. I can't believe someone had this idea for the sims. Just terrible!
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Did the thing even air? I have not seen anybody talk about how the show was and the Spark'd discussion thread has like 5 replies and most are unrelated. Did anyone watch it?
    I logged in to see what people thought of it and I just can't find anything.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Did the thing even air? I have not seen anybody talk about how the show was and the Spark'd discussion thread has like 5 replies and most are unrelated. Did anyone watch it?

I want to watch it but I have to wait untill monday since I don't live in the US. I think they underestimate how many players don't live in the US.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Would someone be able to do something as talented as, for example, this random build i just found, plus a household plus a story in 90 minutes? This game is so rushed... the sims is not a game to be played like that. If i would compare i'ld say the sims is a nice dinner and this show is a bubble gum.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member

I think the majority are waiting for the show to air on BuzzFeed. I have cable so I was able to watch last night but not commenting as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. People on social media are also requesting no spoilers so you'll probably see more comments on Monday.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Would someone be able to do something as talented as, for example, this random build i just found, plus a household plus a story in 90 minutes? This game is so rushed... the sims is not a game to be played like that. If i would compare i'ld say the sims is a nice dinner and this show is a bubble gum.

From the tweets I read it appears they have 5 hours for the characters, lot, story and video. They were amazed someone build a house in 90 minutes.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited July 2020
    I watched it last night. It was fun to watch, a bit awkward at times because this whole thing has never been done before and they’re sort of figuring it out as they go. Seems like a lot of pressure (I wouldn’t want that).

TBS hilariously played Austin Powers after the show, and the opening scene has the bad guy in a fez with Dr. Evil. 2 fezzes back to back!!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I watched it last night. It was fun to watch, a bit awkward at times because this whole thing has never been done before and they’re sort of figuring it out as they go. Seems like a lot of pressure (I wouldn’t want that).

TBS hilariously played Austin Powers after the show, and the opening scene has the bad guy in a fez with Dr. Evil. 2 fezzes back to back!!
    Awesome. Yeah the community got DrGluon to start watching Dr. Who too because it also has a fez and he loves it. I love Austin Powers. It was tough seeing him picked on with the clip.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DazzaJayDazzaJay Posts: 1 New Member
    I can't seem to work out how to upload my creation to the challenge gallery. i can see many other people have been able to do it, but i cannot work it out. i only get the option to upload to the regular gallery.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Well, what happened? How come no one on the US site here, is talking about what happened on the show? What was the Neilsen ratings? How many in America watched? Who enjoyed it? Is this not the US site where I would at least expect one person to have watched it and commented here? Where is the buzz about this show? None, it seems. Did Americans like it or not, and or the people who are interested actually not in America and waiting on Buzzfeed or whatever airing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Well, what happened? How come no one on the US site here, is talking about what happened on the show? What was the Neilsen ratings? How many in America watched? Who enjoyed it? Is this not the US site where I would at least expect one person to have watched it and commented here? Where is the buzz about this show? None, it seems. Did Americans like it or not, and or the people are interested actually not in America and waiting on Buzzfeed airing.

I believe the general consensus among those who caught the TBS airing is to wait until it airs on Buzzfeed tomorrow. Most on social media are adhering to the requests for no spoilers.

We also have a thread here for after show discussions.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/978824/the-sims-sparkd-ep-1-discussion-with-spoilers#latest
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    The entire idea of a sims reality show is foolish. The Sims doesn't need a TV show, nor does this look in any way shape or form appealing. The resources used to make this show could and should have gone to the actual game which is currently a broken, buggy mess lacking deep gameplay.

And that's not even mentioning the ridiculous competitive aspect. This isn't Pokemon, Fortnite, Mario Party, or Dance Revolution. This is The Sims. The Sims isn't in any UNIVERSE even close to a competitive game. Why do the higher ups want it to be? This whole thing reeks of EA trying to make the game hip and trendy with the teens.

The Sims will be whatever the higher-ups want it to be. Whether you choose to hang around or not is your choice. And as teens are their target demographic of course they try to appeal to them.

Well, by taking this game series in to a different realm it says to me (my opinion) we are out of ideas of how to keep people playing our games. We no longer build games with exceptional gameplay or AI but have to become like any other game to attract the young ones. That's a shame, actually since it removes The Sims from a special genre and just markets it as any other challenge/competitive/building strategy game out there.

It seems to me they can no longer attract new people to the special niche The Sims once was proud to boast about.

ETA: It's the 19th today. I followed your link to the Spark'd with spoilers and it has two comments and nothing about what actually happened or spoilers. This is the US site, where are all those that watched and found it amazing? No one has posted in two days on that link of how they liked or didn't like the show. Go figure EA, another Sim City 2013 move. If it was so amazing this site would be on fire, even with spoilers. They will have to rely on Twitter to tell people hey, this is trending so people will click on a link and cause it to trend. Some don't actually understand how Twitter works. It is there to tell people hey this silly thing is trending when it isn't really but because they say it is then millions click and it becomes trending. Lol I can't even, today.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yeah I don't know how many people watched it on TBS but I've only found 4 people on the forums so far. Personally I'm not going to watch on Monday but I expect a good amount of people will watch at least the first episode.
    And yeah now the show is also getting pushed by the GameChangers. Plumbella wants to start making react videos to each episode of Spark'd. So she will attract some viewers from her fanbase that's for sure. The rest of the Youtuber GameChangers seem to not even acknowledge that this show exists.

The Gallery competition is already starting to turn sour though. It has become a popularity contest with people competing for likes in order to win the prize. Some people are posting half-naked sims or celebrities just to get more likes and some other are stealing other people's content and posting it as their own entry.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited July 2020
    I watched it and I really loved it!!! Very fun and entertaining. The hosts did such a great job! The contestants were creative and fun to watch, but I think they need more time the challenges looked very hard for them. I plan to keep watching the show, but I'm not sure if I will participate in challenges because I'm not a great builder, but we'll see. I don't watch youtubers other than occasionally plumbella or english simmer, so I don't know who anyone is other than those two but there's one Canadian so she has my support to win. It's really nice that they have a few people from outside America to participate. I think one person is from Germany.

I personally love Amazing Race and Master Chef and occasionally Survivor, so I enjoyed it! 😊♥️

Post edited by Elliandre on
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Well, what happened? How come no one on the US site here, is talking about what happened on the show? What was the Neilsen ratings? How many in America watched? Who enjoyed it? Is this not the US site where I would at least expect one person to have watched it and commented here? Where is the buzz about this show? None, it seems. Did Americans like it or not, and or the people who are interested actually not in America and waiting on Buzzfeed or whatever airing.

It probably flopped horribly in the US.
    I don't know anyone who watched it.
    I also could barely find any information about what happened during the episode either, no news articles, no youtube videos from other Simmers, not even articles from the Sims Community or Sims VIP (yes, I know people have bad feelings towards them...). The only information I found was on the TBS ELeague Twitter.
    I doubt it will get a second season on TBS.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Yeah I don't know how many people watched it on TBS but I've only found 4 people on the forums so far. Personally I'm not going to watch on Monday but I expect a good amount of people will watch at least the first episode.
    And yeah now the show is also getting pushed by the GameChangers. Plumbella wants to start making react videos to each episode of Spark'd. So she will attract some viewers from her fanbase that's for sure. The rest of the Youtuber GameChangers seem to not even acknowledge that this show exists.

I am surprised by the silence about the premiere. No news articles at all on the first episode. No youtube videos about it. Usually, if there's a new episode of a reality show, a couple news companies will post articles about it. None for the Sims Spark'd.
    It's weird.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I watched it the night it aired and then one more time (I was watching it with others the first time and missed some of it because we were cutting up). It was entertaining to me, probably because I enjoy the game more than any other reason. I don't think the show will appeal to non-simmers or people that dislike the current game but it might bring in some new simmers. It also engages some that are into the sims 4 now, maybe offers a little dream that they might get on the show (and win some money) or lets you get to know other simmers a little better. I got to think about what I would do in their shoes (cry and be paralyzed with anxiety mostly). I thought whoever was on the show as a contestant really needs to know the ins and out of the game and what different objects in the game do. They have to be a well rounded simmer to.. being able to build and be able to play in different ways.
    It will be interesting to see how the show evolves.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    As far as the claims of racism are concerned, I'm amazed that 90% of the gamechangers are white. What are there, only 2 gamechangers who are a different skin color? Doesn't surprise me at all. And also the fact that they tend to whitewash some of the characters in the Sims, like Bella Goth. Or the spell castor who was black in the trailer but is magically white in the game.

Not to derail the thread, but I think the link she posted is valid and quite sad.

Also the white Practical caster is ugly as all get out and looks unhealthy the big muscular black dude was hot and cool
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    like Bella Goth. Or the spell castor who was black in the trailer but is magically white in the game.
    Simeon Silversweater is a different character from Daddy Sexysweater. I think the latter was made specifically for the commercials by the marketing team, long after Simeon was made. You can tell, because most in-game sims are hideous, large-headed monstrocities, and the sims used in commercials are much prettier.

What's this about Bella?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited July 2020
    Gordy wrote: »
    What's this about Bella?

Up through Sims 2 Bella had a medium, tanned looking skin tone. After Sims 3 she was white.
    The same thing happened to Oberon Gossamer (Summerdream). He's black in Sims 2, but just tan in Sims 3. And the version of him I found in the gallery for Sims 4 is also just tanned.
    It may not have been an intentional slight by the people who created them, but it does seem messed up.

Sorry about the derail, I just wanted to answer the question.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I watched it yesterday. For me it felt like a school group project with a lot of stress which I hate (I think everyone?). It didn't look like fun and it wasn't fun to watch. For example if you watch America's Next Top Model, I actually want to be there to do the challenges and shoots. I would never join the Sims Spark'd, not even for a $ 100.000.

I also don't get 1 the group thing and 2 the timing. Sims 4 is a single player game and without time limits. If I want to spend 8 hours to make a Sim, that's totally fine. I really don't get why they have to do things fast and why they have to work together.

I really fear for the way the franchise is heading. I think they are testing if people like multiplayer.

Also the judges. Kelsey is a YouTuber so the same as the contestants, Tayla is a voice actor but does she play the game? Can she judge other creations? Dave is talking about missing a story or how the building is not finished. Dude look at your game, it's unfinished, shallow and full of bugs. Also I'm sorry I have to say it, he looks creepy AF with that moustache.

I just don't like the (timed) challenge and the judging. Sims is not a game to be judged by others IMO. However I will continue to watch it. I do enjoy Plumbella and Steph0sims. Felt really bad for her when she was presenting (again school flashbacks).
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    @garapoes Yes, I definitely agree. I think, too, this show is being watched by simmers who know exactly how daunting these challenges are and feel it vicariously. We're not models or superstar singers, so we don't have to fret that much during America's Next Top Model or American Idol. Most of us don't sew elaborate gowns like they do in RuPaul's Drag Race. Maybe for those people it is intensely hard, and we just don't realize it. The problem with Sims Spark'd is that it's not a show designed for people unfamiliar with the Sims. The intricacies of the CAS and build would be lost on anyone unfamiliar with the Sims - even the storytelling would be. If there had been a better introduction to the world of the Sims, maybe people unfamiliar with the game could watch and imagine themselves doing the game - I don't know. But those of us who play the Sims can empathize heavily with the players - AND empathize with the problematic criticism.

I gotta say, I'd liked Dave Miotke before this show. Now after the first episode, I wouldn't say I despise him, but I do have a negative impression of him. That criticism was just bad. It felt personally insulting him criticizing people's stories when the Sims has failed repeatedly to provide adequate tools for fully fleshed out stories. Did we really need Eco Lifestyle before we got hotels or bunkbeds or better personalities or better romance systems? Do you think dumpster diving will make us forget that babies aren't freed and we don't have cars? We're not sims - we can't just go jogging for a day and completely recover from the death of our parents, never to experience grief again. Our sims aren't afraid of anything and they don't convincingly want anything either. Wants and fears are the hallmark of any story. That's such a basic premise of creative writing, I just can't. What on earth does Miotke know about good storytelling? Receipts, please.

This show won't bring the Sims 4 down, but it will come back to bite Sims 5. We will remember these moments when we consider purchasing Sims 5 base game. And it may be the final push when we consider investing in this franchise again.
  • Options
    SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru
    I liked a lot of these episode 1 team results and was critical in order to compare the teams against each other. Super talented simmers all around. Love 'em all.