Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

• Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I liked a lot of these episode 1 team results and was critical in order to compare the teams against each other. Super talented simmers all around. Love 'em all.

I Enjoyed the show and I'm over the full moon that the next elimination challenge will have occult elements Occult Life States I feel get so much hate from everyone only wanting realistic content so it makes me happy to see it as a challenge.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I liked a lot of these episode 1 team results and was critical in order to compare the teams against each other. Super talented simmers all around. Love 'em all.

Lol sounds like you're going for the Simon Cowell angle for the show?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    What's this about Bella?

Up through Sims 2 Bella had a medium, tanned looking skin tone. After Sims 3 she was white.
    The same thing happened to Oberon Gossamer (Summerdream). He's black in Sims 2, but just tan in Sims 3. And the version of him I found in the gallery for Sims 4 is also just tanned.
    It may not have been an intentional slight by the people who created them, but it does seem messed up.

Sorry about the derail, I just wanted to answer the question.
    I noticed that too. A lot of the premades I redo to make them more like their TS2 versions and look a bit more like humans instead of stick figure drawings.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bixters wrote: »

Lol sounds like you're going for the Simon Cowell angle for the show?
    Nah but why I would love SimGuruGrant to appear on it if it continues and to see Peaches on it. He has a Simon Cowell vibe to him. SimGuruNinja is just a tease kind of like if a big brother teases you. He kind of reminds me of DrGluon a tad with their warped sense of humor. Shame Honeydew couldn't be on the show.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member

SimGuruNinja, I'm not letting you off the hook on this one. I've taken voice lessons for eight years, been a main character in various plays, got my degree in creative writing, been in music writing workshops, etc. Across the arts, the point of good criticism is not to compare people to each other, but to compare people to who they could be. Focus on the specifics of what worked and what needed exploration. Clarify the form of the story you're looking for. We want to see these simmers be the best they can be and grow.

One Simon Cowell to another: that criticism was lacking. It needed more specifics and a clearer vision of what was missing for the storytellers to improve.

But I do apologize for being too harsh on you personally. You do seem like a sweet guy, and it was really fun to see you be the incognito star of the knitting pack. ;)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020

@SimGuruNinja So you agree? You think The Sims is a game about comparing Simmers to each other to find out who plays the game better or worse?

Hmm, Maybe you need a Will Wright in your team.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2020
    giphy.gifIt just proves that simmers were right about Ea not truly listening to the fan base.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited July 2020

@SimGuruNinja So you agree? You think The Sims is a game about comparing Simmers to each other to find out who plays the game better or worse?

you do know how game shows work right ?
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Cemirror wrote: »

SimGuruNinja, I'm not letting you off the hook on this one. I've taken voice lessons for eight years, been a main character in various plays, got my degree in creative writing, been in music writing workshops, etc. Across the arts, the point of good criticism is not to compare people to each other, but to compare people to who they could be. Focus on the specifics of what worked and what needed exploration. Clarify the form of the story you're looking for. We want to see these simmers be the best they can be and grow.

One Simon Cowell to another: that criticism was lacking. It needed more specifics and a clearer vision of what was missing for the storytellers to improve.

But I do apologize for being too harsh on you personally. You do seem like a sweet guy, and it was really fun to see you be the incognito star of the knitting pack. ;)

but it is the point of the criticism if its a game show and your a judge he is not there teacher his job is to give the winner money not help them grow as artiest
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

but it is the point of the criticism if its a game show and your a judge he is not there teacher his job is to give the winner money not help them grow as artiest

And this is exactly why a competition doesn't work with The Sims. How are you going to judge who's better and who's worse in a game with no goal? And if you want to do this by making your contestants film scripted movies to be able to judge them then the game completely loses its identity. Also the criteria for the judging are super subjective. This is why there is so much backlash towards Ninja's critique.The criteria just isn't detailed or objective enough to make a fair decision.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

And this is exactly why a competition doesn't work with The Sims. How are you going to judge who's better and who's worse in a game with no goal? And if you want to do this by making your contestants film scripted movies to be able to judge them then the game completely loses its identity. Also the criteria for the judging are super subjective. This is why there is so much backlash towards Ninja's critique.The criteria just isn't detailed or objective enough to make a fair decision.

well I guess you would judge by the task you gave them or by how well you like there work just like you judge
    the sims 4 to be lacking and other sims games to be better other people can judge things to
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    What's this about Bella?

Up through Sims 2 Bella had a medium, tanned looking skin tone. After Sims 3 she was white.
    The same thing happened to Oberon Gossamer (Summerdream). He's black in Sims 2, but just tan in Sims 3. And the version of him I found in the gallery for Sims 4 is also just tanned.
    It may not have been an intentional slight by the people who created them, but it does seem messed up.

Are you talking about the console games.Because all the Bella's I saw in the main sims games are black ?
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    What's this about Bella?

Are you talking about the console games.Because all the Bella's I saw in the main sims games are black ?

Bella Goth was never black. She was always tanned. I do think her skintone in TS3 is supposed to be the tanned equivalent of TS2 though.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited July 2020

I was referring to the PC games. Although she also had tanned or medium skin on the console versions too, except for Bustin' Out. She was light skinned in that one for some reason before she went back to being tanned in the next game.

Duvelina wrote: »
    Bella Goth was never black. She was always tanned. I do think her skintone in TS3 is supposed to be the tanned equivalent of TS2 though.

You're right. Looking at her wiki, it looks like (with the exception of Bustin' Out) she has always had, and still does have, medium/tanned skin. But that tone is definitely lighter than it used to be.

On topic, people who have watched the available episodes now, what do you think of the show?
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I never thought of Bella as being black because her skin tone was always just tan or olive skinned. I thought maybe like Mediterranean but not black. Sims 4 bella seems pretty light in comparison but i dont think too much of it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru

I think there are lots of ways to play and enjoy The Sims.
    The more the merrier.
    That is one of the main reasons I love this game so much; simmers' play styles range far and wide. :)
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2020
    guys bella is not black omg she's tanned are y'all blind
    besides, the goths are a parody of the addams where i'm pretty sure mortimer is the counterpart of morticia while bella is the counterpart of gomez, and guess what! gomez is meant to be spanish-american!! he is SPANISH! also didn't y'all know bella stands for beauty in spanish?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I posted this one of the other threads, but it might fit this conversation better, so I'm adding it here.

I have a few thoughts I'd like to add to the conversation here.

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about a competitive TV show. All contestants and judges most likely had to agree to certain disclaimers and freedoms of editing. Because that's the key to shows like this...editing. It's quite possible that Ninja also had a lot more nice things to say as well but they were edited out because they weren't "dramatic". Clever editing can completely change the perspective of reality. In TV land, any time a human shows emotion, it will be amplified in close-ups and focused on to sensationalize a moment. Sometimes the show producers will encourage soft scripting if the cast's behaviors seem too unnatural or, in show biz perspective, "boring".

Shows like this in the US live for creating drama where it doesn't exist. It's kind of unfortunate because standard viewers often thrive on seeing people struggle and/or be nasty to each other and it boosts ratings. So again, I have a feeling what we saw was more about what the channel wanted us to see, rather than how the contest actually ran. No doubt there was some honesty in there, but many chosen moments were most likely exacerbated and/or exaggerated to make it "worth" viewing.

That said, I did feel sympathy towards the contestants. It gave me a feeling that some hadn't really anticipated what they had signed up for and couldn't back out, while others made it much larger than it was and it caused high levels of stress for them. All of them have a current following and live in the spotlight, but they are all used to being able to control that environment and this was probably very different from any previous EA visits that they've experienced. Being on national (and international) TV with no control of your situation can be not only highly stressful, but also embarrassing, depending on the turnout of the competition. I hope they all come out of it okay. I really do. American television can be cruel and EA can't protect them from the public evaluation and condemnation that we see on a regular basis in this day and age.

And on that note, there's something else I feel like I need to say. This is about EA/Maxis and the general marketing image of The Sims.

Up until now, there has a been a focus on inclusivity, embracing all players, building a better world, and creating your perfect "safe" environment in The Sims 4. They have pushed and pushed this Utopian paradise, always promoting to do better, be kinder, show empathy, and be free to tell your stories of personal struggle and how it ends in happiness. There has been a strong message portrayed of sensitivity to the players as people, who struggle with various issues and who use the game to overcome those issues. A portrayal that the game is a tool to better yourself at your own pace, where culture and diversity blossom, and where everyone is equal and unprosecuted.

And this is why I think players have a problem with the sudden switch to competition and pitting Simmers against each other. Watching that show and seeing some of these familiar faces welling up with tears and struggling with anxiety and hearing harsh criticism suddenly makes the Sims 4 message seem superficial and false. It can make players feel betrayed that their inclusive paradise is suddenly up for criticism, can be picked apart, and pitted against others. Competition and inclusivity don't really go hand in hand. It muddles the message and cheapens the nature of the game, reducing it to just another contentious push and pull for who is better than whom, like we see in most other games; the very thing that Simmers try to avoid while playing the Sims.

I think that people were really expecting the competition to have a more friendly and positive tilt, in staying true to the marketed perception of The Sims 4. They aren't going to see through the show's fabricated drama to take it lightly. Sims players are well known to be very passionate. It might be helpful to keep this in mind and maybe add a "behind the scenes" on EA's site at the end of each season to give some real insight and see some "nicer" moments.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    besides, the goths are a parody of the addams where i'm pretty sure mortimer is the counterpart of morticia while bella is the counterpart of gomez, and guess what! gomez is meant to be spanish-american!! he is SPANISH! also didn't y'all know bella stands for beauty in spanish?

Only one person said that. And I'm wondering if maybe the color contrast on their monitor was broken?

I got that they were a parody of the Addams family. But I think they are Italian not Spanish like the Addams. Bella is Italian for beautiful.
    I think there are lots of ways to play and enjoy The Sims.
    The more the merrier.
    That is one of the main reasons I love this game so much; simmers' play styles range far and wide. :)

I've always loved the dollhouse or sandbox nature of Sims. The ability to play however you wanted. I can't say it ever occurred to me to compete with others while I did it though. I've seen building contests on the forums since Sims 2, but they were always more about sharing everyone's skill than competing. It's... different. I tried playing The Urbz on a split screen once, that's about as close as I've ever come to competing with this game. And I hated it. Lol.

There are people enjoying the show though, and enjoying the competitiveness of it.

• Options
    I never thought of Bella as being black because her skin tone was always just tan or olive skinned. I thought maybe like Mediterranean but not black. Sims 4 bella seems pretty light in comparison but i dont think too much of it.

She look light-skinned black to me.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2020

Only one person said that. And I'm wondering if maybe the color contrast on their monitor was broken?

I got that they were a parody of the Addams family. But I think they are Italian not Spanish like the Addams. Bella is Italian for beautiful.

bella is beautiful in spanish as well, it's more used on italy though.

how does she look black to you?
  • Options

She just does to me. Black people can come in medium, or light skin tones.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

She just does to me. Black people can come in medium, or light skin tones.

White people also come in light, medium, or dark/tanned. Sometimes pink. Bella definitely comes from the south of Italy and she's as white as the sun lets her be.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Bella is also Spanish for beautiful. But Bella was definitely not meant to be black. She seemed to be meant to be more mediterranean, you can also see this from looking at her TS2 and TS3 family tree. There is a grandmother with a Spanish name in there, Enriqueta. Her mother's name Jocasta is Greek.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I thought beautiful in Spanish was hermosa or bello? It's belle in French. One thing is sure, her name was meant to be beautiful.