August 14 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
Are you ready for the The Sims Spark'd? Discuss the final episode here! Don't forget to use spoiler tags! Need a refresher? Click here!

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 6,829 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

    I must of misunderstood I thought he was saying agree with me or I won't be your friend anymore
    I can't stand it when people do that and I get that for some people the game is a safe space but I'm sure
    the people playing new what was coming explaining the contest was for the people watching not the players
    @Scobre
    Oh no. He wanted us to test a new area since he was making products for a shop, so there was a competition of who could beat the new boss first. We got second, but sadly the girl I was in a group with was so competitive about it, ending up losing friends in the process. Winners which was neat ended up being the ex-fiancee of a developer for the game. I mean I'm all for new players and know when I joined forums how scary the fake sides debates were. I just don't support contestants being called LGBTQIA+ hate names, that's all. It is a very demeaning term for that community I know. Didn't like how women were portrayed in the show either, but was nice seeing both DrGluon's and Xmiramira's communities band together and say how each other were portrayed in the show wasn't right and how they support each other. DrGluon was really sweet saying how much he enjoyed the experience getting to know the community better. I just see his kids on streams sometimes, so puts his family of four females down including his cute baby girl. Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    well I doubt they feel to bad about any name they were called they got to have fun with people they don't see
    to often and seeing them talk and tweet about the show I think they had a good time @Scobre
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 51 Member
    It's unwanted, uncalled for, and unnecessary. And completely pointless and won't last 1 season.
  • FrankieDanySIMSFrankieDanySIMS Posts: 51 Member
    Yeah I don't know how many people watched it on TBS but I've only found 4 people on the forums so far. Personally I'm not going to watch on Monday but I expect a good amount of people will watch at least the first episode.
    And yeah now the show is also getting pushed by the GameChangers. Plumbella wants to start making react videos to each episode of Spark'd. So she will attract some viewers from her fanbase that's for sure. The rest of the Youtuber GameChangers seem to not even acknowledge that this show exists.

    The Gallery competition is already starting to turn sour though. It has become a popularity contest with people competing for likes in order to win the prize. Some people are posting half-naked sims or celebrities just to get more likes and some other are stealing other people's content and posting it as their own entry.

    Hi, to you all,
    I can't express an opinion about the show because I'm in Europe and not in USA... but I agree with @SimmerGeorge about the gallery thing:
    I found disappointing to see in CAS section the big amount of custom pose sent or "single sim" or "naked" or "hot" etc. entries just to grab fav + downloads... They make the gallery super super full and make regular creations even more difficult to find...

    And the Spark'd thing brings out some personal considerations about the gallery in general:

    I do not like the fact that if people have many FOLLOWERS (like you tuber etc...) in the gallery takes an advantage ... so the more you're famous the more you'll became more and more famous and your creations will be seen and get likes... and will raise and raise...
    In my opinion that is a not an even competition (and besides the Spark'd Challenge that's in general in the gallery) and it is very difficult for the ones that do not have a large amount of followers to be seen as new creator.

    I find that there is involved too much the youtuber thing ... The Twitch and whatever is getting on social to gain popularity...
    I do not like speed buildings and I watch them very rarely because I find those quite boring... not to say how boring I find the people playing Sims on YouTube (just a very little few are interesting and enjoyable energetic characters) ...
    ... I can't imagine how there are so many views or subscribers... people really hasn't something better to watch?
    Sorry I guess I'm old fashion... but I really do not enjoy those youtubers ...
    ...
    And so... becoming a youtuber is a simmer "must" ?
    🙄
    The only Youtubers that I really thank are the ones that make tutorials for the benefit of other simmers to learn some building technique etc... like KateEmerald or Krystalgamer 🏆 👍🏻


    7b98023048724ecd9dea27351744b46c.png
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,212 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.

    Apperently due to editing one simmer whined in talk spots bout her male partner and now everyone's flaming him for being a misogynist.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.

    Apperently due to editing one simmer whined in talk spots bout her male partner and now everyone's flaming him for being a misogynist.

    That’s all I’ve gathered so far, but I am seriously asking. Because I think serious accusations like this should be made carefully, and those making them should be very specific with their evidence.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,212 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    That’s all I’ve gathered so far, but I am seriously asking. Because I think serious accusations like this should be made carefully, and those making them should be very specific with their evidence.

    That's... literally it tbh

    I like Reality Contests and the sims but it seems I'm kinda only one who enjoys it. Literally every thread is everyon flaming Buzzfeed and judges for making sims 'spiteful'
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    That’s all I’ve gathered so far, but I am seriously asking. Because I think serious accusations like this should be made carefully, and those making them should be very specific with their evidence.

    That's... literally it tbh

    I like Reality Contests and the sims but it seems I'm kinda only one who enjoys it. Literally every thread is everyon flaming Buzzfeed and judges for making sims 'spiteful'
    I didn’t expect to like the show, but I liked it, too. I think of it as a game show, not reality TV. I didn’t see any victims of any isms, just a group of talented people who voluntarily participated. They all did their best in a completely new situation where they didn’t know what to expect. I have respect for all of them and the judges’ decisions. That’s way more than I could say about the typical reality or contest-driven shows I’ve watched.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,212 Member
    I have complaints but not what everyone else is flaming show for.. Face Off had like 14 people and I heard from all of them and the show still an hour...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 2,286 EA Moderator
    Hello everyone! We've removed a few comments that were off-topic and not appropriate for this thread. Please remember to keep things friendly and on topic.

    EA_Joz
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 1,188 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    That’s all I’ve gathered so far, but I am seriously asking. Because I think serious accusations like this should be made carefully, and those making them should be very specific with their evidence.

    That's... literally it tbh

    I like Reality Contests and the sims but it seems I'm kinda only one who enjoys it. Literally every thread is everyon flaming Buzzfeed and judges for making sims 'spiteful'

    Well, EA is paying to put everyone on TV and make them famous, but there is very little to showcase the game itself. All this while people are complaining about bugs.
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,021 Member
    I think that a lot of times the first season of a show has a learning curve of some sort. It is interesting because I feel like they are trying to enter both the reality tv world as well as the e-sports world. Personally, I think I would prefer more individual challenges. I wouldn't mind if they mixed up teams every week or if some challenges were teams and some were individual. I also feel they should have been allotted a bit more time for the challenges....they weren't able to showcase their skills with the time allotted and while there should still be a time limit to make it a challenge - I think a bit more time would have been great. I think if the show goes more towards a project runway/chopped kind of show it could be decent. Just my opinion though.
  • GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 85 Member
    Curious to hear everyone's opinions on The Sims Spark'd reality TV show.

    I personally think it's a complete waste of money and resources. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the development of the game but I would have liked to see all that energy put into the game itself. There are so many things the Sims community has been asking for whether it be new content ideas or fixes to game breaking bugs and issues. As far as I know, no one asked for a reality TV show.

    I still don't quite know what it is. I know it has messes up the Gallery with a new tab, other than that I'm clueless. I'm probably too old and it isn't geared towards me. *shrug*
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,102 Member
    It's unnecessary and I hate it. I like the contestants but the show is cringy and boring.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

    Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,673 Member
    Yeah I don't know how many people watched it on TBS but I've only found 4 people on the forums so far. Personally I'm not going to watch on Monday but I expect a good amount of people will watch at least the first episode.
    And yeah now the show is also getting pushed by the GameChangers. Plumbella wants to start making react videos to each episode of Spark'd. So she will attract some viewers from her fanbase that's for sure. The rest of the Youtuber GameChangers seem to not even acknowledge that this show exists.

    The Gallery competition is already starting to turn sour though. It has become a popularity contest with people competing for likes in order to win the prize. Some people are posting half-naked sims or celebrities just to get more likes and some other are stealing other people's content and posting it as their own entry.

    Hi, to you all,
    I can't express an opinion about the show because I'm in Europe and not in USA... but I agree with @SimmerGeorge about the gallery thing:
    I found disappointing to see in CAS section the big amount of custom pose sent or "single sim" or "naked" or "hot" etc. entries just to grab fav + downloads... They make the gallery super super full and make regular creations even more difficult to find...

    And the Spark'd thing brings out some personal considerations about the gallery in general:

    I do not like the fact that if people have many FOLLOWERS (like you tuber etc...) in the gallery takes an advantage ... so the more you're famous the more you'll became more and more famous and your creations will be seen and get likes... and will raise and raise...
    In my opinion that is a not an even competition (and besides the Spark'd Challenge that's in general in the gallery) and it is very difficult for the ones that do not have a large amount of followers to be seen as new creator.

    I find that there is involved too much the youtuber thing ... The Twitch and whatever is getting on social to gain popularity...
    I do not like speed buildings and I watch them very rarely because I find those quite boring... not to say how boring I find the people playing Sims on YouTube (just a very little few are interesting and enjoyable energetic characters) ...
    ... I can't imagine how there are so many views or subscribers... people really hasn't something better to watch?
    Sorry I guess I'm old fashion... but I really do not enjoy those youtubers ...
    ...
    And so... becoming a youtuber is a simmer "must" ?
    🙄
    The only Youtubers that I really thank are the ones that make tutorials for the benefit of other simmers to learn some building technique etc... like KateEmerald or Krystalgamer 🏆 👍🏻

    I actually learned some build techniques on Twitch from DrGluon. His creativity with just the slab from Spa day alone has brought many of us builders inspiration. He made train tracks with debug too and a carnival park. So literally he builds out of the box.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,673 Member
    edited July 25
    WolfNate wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    That’s all I’ve gathered so far, but I am seriously asking. Because I think serious accusations like this should be made carefully, and those making them should be very specific with their evidence.

    That's... literally it tbh

    I like Reality Contests and the sims but it seems I'm kinda only one who enjoys it. Literally every thread is everyon flaming Buzzfeed and judges for making sims 'spiteful'
    Well seen you participate in some of that too both towards the judges and to the contestants judging them with insults. So practice what you preach. ;) Also pretty sure you are the only one calling contestants misogynist. But due to some of the racist comments towards women too, makes me wonder where that finger is actually pointing. Also racist comments towards a LGBTQIA+ male Simmer too. Makes me wonder if you even like human beings.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,673 Member
    edited July 25
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.
    Since Sims 1 yes and older Simmers. People keep saying if you like the previous games so much go play those ever since the Sims 4 came out and to close their Twitter accounts and go away from forums. Also calling some of the veteran Gurus names too like comparing him to one of the most negative judges in American shows. The producers are known for putting down women down in shows including this one. That they had to make Xmiramira seem weak just for being a woman and DrGluon being the bad guy is disrespectful towards our culturally diverse female community. Game Changers deal with that enough in their own discord and now they have to deal with it with the producers too, it is like thanks for the stereotyping. Both Game Changers have strong communities and supportive of each other.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.
    Since Sims 1 yes and older Simmers. People keep saying if you like the previous games so much go play those ever since the Sims 4 came out and to close their Twitter accounts and go away from forums. Also calling some of the veteran Gurus names too like comparing him to one of the most negative judges in American shows. The producers are known for putting down women down in shows including this one. That they had to make Xmiramira seem weak just for being a woman and DrGluon being the bad guy is disrespectful towards our culturally diverse female community. Game Changers deal with that enough in their own discord and now they have to deal with it with the producers too, it is like thanks for the stereotyping. Both Game Changers have strong communities and supportive of each other.

    I thought Xmiramira looked unhappy and very conflicted because she wasn’t totally on board with the plans, yet she went along with it because that’s what people do when they are on a team. That shows me that she has good character, and it seemed like she put her trust in the project but it didn’t work out as well as they hoped. I suppose I can see how some people might think of her as weak for compromising, but I don’t think the producers “made her seem” that way. In fact, I was disappointed that they showed her private interview clip saying how she felt about it and then did NOT show DrGluon or SimLicy give their perspectives. Do you agree it would have been nice to hear their sides? I think that would have rounded out the show better... but maybe it was too much drama. Who knows why they make these decisions? I don’t just assume the worst of people, I need to see real injustices to believe in them.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 16,757 Member
    edited July 25
    @babajayne Great perspective. Wonderful to see someone who believes in the best of human nature.
    One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    @babajayne Great perspective. Wonderful to see someone who believes in the best of human nature.
    Thanks! Well, I believe in the best and the worst in people. I just think it’s fair to keep an open mind and insist on evidence when certain accusations are made. It’s what I would want done for me.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,673 Member
    edited July 25
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again I noticed there has been a huge disrespect towards veteran Simmers during this iteration too, so can't say I'm shocked since society supports youth and if they get old they get discarded like trophy wives like so many male celebs do. I don't know if the show was going that route, but yeah I felt very disrespected as a woman by it. Sad it has become a shallow stereotype women have to deal with everyday, so I hope that if they do future seasons, they will have veteran female contestants too.

    How were women disrespected on the show?

    And what’s this about veteran Simmers? You mean Simmers who have played a long time, I assume.
    Since Sims 1 yes and older Simmers. People keep saying if you like the previous games so much go play those ever since the Sims 4 came out and to close their Twitter accounts and go away from forums. Also calling some of the veteran Gurus names too like comparing him to one of the most negative judges in American shows. The producers are known for putting down women down in shows including this one. That they had to make Xmiramira seem weak just for being a woman and DrGluon being the bad guy is disrespectful towards our culturally diverse female community. Game Changers deal with that enough in their own discord and now they have to deal with it with the producers too, it is like thanks for the stereotyping. Both Game Changers have strong communities and supportive of each other.

    I thought Xmiramira looked unhappy and very conflicted because she wasn’t totally on board with the plans, yet she went along with it because that’s what people do when they are on a team. That shows me that she has good character, and it seemed like she put her trust in the project but it didn’t work out as well as they hoped. I suppose I can see how some people might think of her as weak for compromising, but I don’t think the producers “made her seem” that way. In fact, I was disappointed that they showed her private interview clip saying how she felt about it and then did NOT show DrGluon or SimLicy give their perspectives. Do you agree it would have been nice to hear their sides? I think that would have rounded out the show better... but maybe it was too much drama. Who knows why they make these decisions? I don’t just assume the worst of people, I need to see real injustices to believe in them.
    I think it was weak with the editing that she had to appear put down by DrGluon. They are both highly respected in the Twitch community. I do think it would have helped asking all the contestants what it was like working with each other. Even the host was pushing drama on the contestants and one of the contestants was like no we aren't going to do that, we are a Sims family. She is a powerful streamer and highly respected in the modding community too, so victimizing her did put her down as a woman and a Simmer. Having the host put down the female contestant trying to create drama for the sake of ratings, just doesn't sit well with me. DrGluon did mention how little screen time SimLicy got and how such an amazing streamer she is. It showed where the priorities lied for the producers was creating fake drama for Youtube likes. Desperate really and some people were gullible enough to believe it as real. Seeing the show compared to Face Off makes me laugh since Spark'd was about anything but the game and their art with focusing too much on drama of the contestants. I don't think the show was focusing on the best of human nature, but the opposite.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Even the host was pushing drama on the contestants and one of the contestants was like no we aren't going to do that, we are a Sims family. She is a powerful streamer and highly respected in the modding community too, so victimizing her did put her down as a woman and a Simmer.

    Wow, we have such different perspectives. I’m not trying to be combative, I’m genuinely interested in trying to understand this point of view. I know the first sentence above is about Plumbella. Is your second sentence also about Plumbella? I wouldn’t call her “victimized” by the interaction with the host, whatsoever. That was a proud moment for her fans. The host made her look good!
  • FrankieDanySIMSFrankieDanySIMS Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 25
    Hi... sorry if I ask here (because i can't see where is the right place and i found old topics that should be the forbidden "necroposting") can you link me a good topic to know: the FLAG (for stealing) effects (as I just spot one of my creations stolen and i've got to consider options: FLAG immediately or give 24 hours to take off the robbery from gallery) ... So I'd like to know better what maxis does to the "flagged ones" in gallery...
    PS
    Any suggestion would be welcome... and ... giving 24 hours to take off the creation from gallery (so no flag) will teach the lesson or the person would do the robbery again sooner or later?
    7b98023048724ecd9dea27351744b46c.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,673 Member
    edited July 25
    babajayne wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Even the host was pushing drama on the contestants and one of the contestants was like no we aren't going to do that, we are a Sims family. She is a powerful streamer and highly respected in the modding community too, so victimizing her did put her down as a woman and a Simmer.

    Wow, we have such different perspectives. I’m not trying to be combative, I’m genuinely interested in trying to understand this point of view. I know the first sentence above is about Plumbella. Is your second sentence also about Plumbella? I wouldn’t call her “victimized” by the interaction with the host, whatsoever. That was a proud moment for her fans. The host made her look good!
    Yeah I was proud she said it too. I hope so. Second sentence actually both Xmiramira and Plumbella are respected in the Twitch community. Oh no worries. Just some comments WolfNate said towards the contestants and the judges was highly demeaning and yet they accuse others of saying what they themselves said about the show, the contestants, and the judges. It just gets confusing, like who are they talking about? Themselves? I wish I could believe they liked the show, but probably what people who don't like the Sims 4 feel like too. That you can love something but not all parts of that something, just depends having various perspectives and opinions. But yes this is what I was most worried about with the show is that people in it would be called names and kind of sets the tone of will the show even have another season if its rating of the show even outside the Sims community is low? Most shows that have low ratings do not last beyond one season. That is just showbiz.

    Spark'd isn't the first video game show that hasn't made it:
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-video-game-competition-tv-shows

    But yes the viewers did assume the worst of the contestants:
    https://meaww.com/the-sims-sparkd-season-1-episode-1-gamers-upset-dr-gluon-silence-xmiramira-tbs

    So yes producers did a horrible job editing it to have that much of a negative reaction.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 657 Member
    @Scobre I think I’m starting to understand better what you’re saying. It sounds like it’s the public reaction that is bothering you and when you say there was racism and sexism, the claim is made because it was perceived this way by the community and not because of specific actions that were taken. If there was something specific you would have explained it by now, right?

    I think some people are more sensitive than others, and perception is often projection. I don’t think it’s possible to put out any product right now without such accusations being made. What we can control is how much credit we give them. I give them none without evidence.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top